View Full Version : Your opinion of Bob Stoops

landrun
1/4/2013, 11:06 PM
He's a GREAT coach
He's a good coach
He's average
He's below average
He's terrible

My opinion is he's a poor coach. Average at best.

StoopTroup
1/4/2013, 11:09 PM
Pretty darn nice guy and a heck of a Coach.

Socrefbek
1/4/2013, 11:09 PM
I'll take good trending towards average.

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2013, 11:15 PM
Not a good actor on commercials - especially his voice.

tulsaoilerfan
1/4/2013, 11:16 PM
Hes average at best; we never beat anyone better than us or even with equal talent any more

agoo758
1/4/2013, 11:18 PM
From 1999-2004 he was the best coach in the country.

From 2005 on he has been above average/ below good at best.

No meaningful bowl wins in ten years. Only one national championship appearance since 2004 (which took have about a dozen of the greatest players to ever play for OU only to lose to a much inferior team in the CG), and now the best teams in the league are owning us on a consistent basis. Both sides of the ball look like we've done a horrific job of recruiting and developing (the fact that the two best players on our team are transfers is very telling).

I have no faith that we are returning to the elite within the next ten years.

OU_Sooners75
1/4/2013, 11:18 PM
He is a good general manager, washed up coach.

He hires his buddies which in return is a direct reflection on his coaching abilities.

Eielson
1/4/2013, 11:19 PM
He's obviously great. Anybody who says otherwise is an idiot. I'm not a big fan of calling people that, but let's just call it like it is in this case.

soonervegas
Coasting in a mediocre conference and cashing checks.

His saving grace.....there is a buffoon coaching at Texas.

Therealsouthsider
Wealthy, condescending and uninspiring

SS

OUNASH
1/4/2013, 11:21 PM
First 4 years = Great Coach
Second 4 years = Good Coach
Lst 4 years = Complacent and average coach who has let his past glories think he can catch lightning in a bottle twice. The replacement of asst coaches with friends and family and the lackluster talent recruited is bitting him in the butt.
It will not get better any time soon. See this years recruiting class for an example. We are ranked 10th due to number of recruits, if you base it on talent and star avgs we are 21st. By far Stoops worst recruiting class.

Sooners78
1/4/2013, 11:22 PM
Extremely overpaid

olevetonahill
1/4/2013, 11:24 PM
Shoulda been a Pole

BoulderSooner79
He went over-board on the mansion thing. No feng shui at all.

PMKMDJ
I don't think he's a top tier coach, sadly I expected this tonight. I actually predicted 63-14. This defense is atrocious, the offense is mediocre and he just hires his buddies. Not a good recipe to win.

wishbonesooner
1/4/2013, 11:27 PM
A man that saved Sooner football. A man that needs to go find a new challenge. Do the right thing Bob. It's time to move on. You can't even fool yourself into caring anymore.

zeke
1/4/2013, 11:29 PM
Average at best now.

His staff looks pretty poor tonight

cyclonesooner
1/4/2013, 11:30 PM
Pretty accurate PMKMDJ. Sad, but true. Good, but not great coach. Admirable to be loyal to your school and coach but getting tired of posters calling him a great coach and those who question are idiots.

instigator
1/4/2013, 11:31 PM
I like complacent. Seems accurate.

Always_Sooner
1/4/2013, 11:33 PM
Above Average, but not elite anymore.

I'm not saying he couldn't possibly work his way back up, but what accolades do he chase anymore?

He isn't passionate about what he does anymore and it shows.

I'd love to see OU steal Pat Fitzgerald away from Northwestern, and see what he could do at OU.

SicEmBaylor
1/4/2013, 11:34 PM
I'll take good trending towards average.

Nailed it.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/4/2013, 11:38 PM
He's a good coach. He has failed to make appropriate adjustments to stay in the top tier.

The fast pace, cutesy, no huddle offense isn't working in my opinion. Puts the defense on the field too much, tires lineman b/c they crouch for 35 seconds and then the play is run. I'd prefer a style where we could run consistently. The most successful teams in the country have successful running games.

The defensive talent is lacking. They haven't stopped pass offenses or run offenses recently. They can't slow teams down.

Great to good to bordering on average at this point. They beat the teams they should beat but lose teams that are equally or more talented, or equally or better coached.

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2013, 11:51 PM
First 4 years = Great Coach
Second 4 years = Good Coach
Lst 4 years = Complacent and average coach who has let his past glories think he can catch lightning in a bottle twice. The replacement of asst coaches with friends and family and the lackluster talent recruited is bitting him in the butt.
It will not get better any time soon. See this years recruiting class for an example. We are ranked 10th due to number of recruits, if you base it on talent and star avgs we are 21st. By far Stoops worst recruiting class.

THIS...

normanx
1/4/2013, 11:53 PM
I loved the 00's... But I always wondered about the comparisons to Bud and Barry.... It was too soon. But I loved those years just like everyone else. And hoped they would continue. Bob won one after two years.... It's been ten since.. Our recruiting has gone down... and now we can't beat a lil papa smurf in a bowl game.

SoonerofAlabama
1/4/2013, 11:59 PM
Great coach, opinion is the same now as it was yesterday. Hate to see us lose, but I won't hang my head tonight.

SoonerMarkVA
1/5/2013, 12:03 AM
He's complacent, and his staff is suffering the ill-effects of "idea inbreeding". They seem to be locked in a hermetically sealed echo chamber.

As I look now, how I wish he'd decided last year was the end, and we'd snagged Sumlin from Houston. Now, I'm not sure we'd be able to lure Sumlin from A&M. That guy has put together an incredible turn-around in one year. I expect him to have A&M riding high, and I mean in contention for it all, starting next year. The dude's got It. Big Time.

Sooner02
1/5/2013, 12:08 AM
We get about the same result year after year. The coaching staff looks uninspired and some of these players consistently appear to have a sense of entitlement. I'm sick of it.

Sooners78
1/5/2013, 12:08 AM
I've completely lost confidence in him. At this point, what's he being paid to do?

Sooner02
1/5/2013, 12:11 AM
He gets paid to lose 2-4 games a year and get embarrassed IF we make a big bowl game.

SOONER44EVER
1/5/2013, 12:13 AM
I'm just happy Mack Brown is still at Texas.

Blue
1/5/2013, 12:14 AM
Pretty accurate PMKMDJ. Sad, but true. Good, but not great coach. Admirable to be loyal to your school and coach but getting tired of posters calling him a great coach and those who question are idiots.

The only die hard kool aid drinker left is the board idiot, so...

Oh and he could leave tomorrow and I'd be fine with it. The play is uninspired ( a direct result of coaching), the schemes are horrible (talking to you Huepel, Norville), and the D is downright pathetic (Stoops!). Lets move on.

MyT Oklahoma
1/5/2013, 12:20 AM
His character and integrity are beyond reproach, plus he does things off the field he doesn't have to, which make me proud he's a Sooner. But his best years are behind him and he's burned out just like Bud Wilkinson was before he left.

MyT Oklahoma
1/5/2013, 12:21 AM

Now that's funny.

SOONER44EVER
1/5/2013, 12:25 AM
Now that's funny. Imagine how bad it would be if Mack was gone and we had to put up this crap at the same time.

Jdog
1/5/2013, 12:25 AM
I think his staff does a good job with the kind of players that he gets. Recruiting hasn't been top 5 since 2004. He doesnt have the hunger he had when he was young.

winout
1/5/2013, 12:28 AM
Wealthy, condescending and uninspiring

SS

+1

He seems like a quality person but as Skip Bayless says he just can't get a team up for a big game.

Explodo
1/5/2013, 12:28 AM
Personally, I think our TEAM has a huge problem with basic football fundamentals. Open Field Tackling, O-Line Blocking, D-Line Rush, Consistent Catching...the whole raft of things a team needs to be good at BEFORE a scheme is enacted. That tells me we are not coaching these fundamentals properly, nor are the players being truly graded and held to performing these fundamental actions.

Given the above statement, we have a coaching problem that needs to be addressed. And that sets directly on Mr. Stoops shoulders. It's very fixable, and it if I remember correctly, that was the biggest change (IMO) Mr. Stoops enacted when he took over this team back in the bad old days. We went from a sloppy hit or miss team (with tons of wasted talent) to a team that I KNEW would catch the ball...or make that open field tackle...Or they simply went out and did their job effectively with no celebration.

Mr. Stoops needs to have a revival of sorts...He's lost his way. A fundamentally sound team will not win or lose the way we do. We win Big against lesser opponents...we lose ugly against an opponent that has the least bit of spine and talent. That's a symptom...I think the root problem centers around not playing the players who are the most fundamentally sound on a consistent basis...nor are we teaching them how to be such players.

Correct me or help me extend the thought, I hate watching a team get beat the way we get beat

( And yes,I think I used the word Fundamental 7 times in this post...To make a point)

SoonerMachine
1/5/2013, 12:35 AM

Me too.

TXBOOMER
1/5/2013, 12:37 AM
Good coach. No longer great.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/5/2013, 12:39 AM
Re: Your opinion of Bob Stoops

He's still rather handsome, but his boobies are getting more pronounced in his older years.

When you can see his teats under a sweatshirt, it's time to maybe throw a lil' steel.

Explodo
1/5/2013, 12:42 AM
Fireman....

Bwahahaha