PDA

View Full Version : 1 point safety

Cajun
1/3/2013, 11:04 PM
This was a first for me anyone else seen that call?

olevetonahill
1/3/2013, 11:05 PM
This was a first for me anyone else seen that call?

Its a New NIKE invention

bluedogok
1/3/2013, 11:27 PM
I have seen it once before, a long, long time ago.

olevetonahill
1/3/2013, 11:30 PM
I have seen it once before, a long, long time ago.

In a Land Far Far away

ouwasp
1/4/2013, 12:17 AM
Never seen it before...prolly never see it again...

SoonerInFortSmith
1/4/2013, 12:46 AM
I didn't see it. Defense score on a failed extra point? Someone explain please.

olevetonahill
1/4/2013, 12:50 AM
I didn't see it. Defense score on a failed extra point? Someone explain please.

Ducks were goin fer 2 Blocked it then covered it in the EZ Ducks Tackled em and got a point
Dont make no sense to me either

SoonerInFortSmith
1/4/2013, 12:52 AM
Guess I gotta watch some sportscenter. I'm sure they'll make a huge deal out of it. Probably something to the effect of Oregon is so awesome they took a bad play and still turned it into points.

olevetonahill
1/4/2013, 12:56 AM
Guess I gotta watch some sportscenter. I'm sure they'll make a huge deal out of it. Probably something to the effect of Oregon is so awesome they took a bad play and still turned it into points.

Im sure they will explain it till we sick of it.

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2013, 01:11 AM
Blocked extra point. KSU picked it up, but ran backwards into their own endzone and got tackled.

yup, key was ksu gained possession of the ball on out of the endzone, maybe 3 yrd line...which makes it a live possession ball ( 2 points if ksu would have ran it back), then the guy ran backwards into the endzone, just like if the offense had the ball and the QB went back to pass...tried to hand it off but that guy got tackled in the endzone. Guess since it was for a 1 pt extra point FG the kicking team was awarded the 1 pt vs 2.

yermom
1/4/2013, 03:30 AM
happened in the wh0rn/aggie game a few years ago. 2006 maybe?

EDIT: 2004

http://quirkyresearch.blogspot.com/2006/08/one-point-safety.html

i guess that's only twice in FBS

jkjsooner
1/4/2013, 09:52 AM
Can also happen the other way yielding a 6-1 score although that is extremely improbable.

badger
1/4/2013, 11:31 AM
Blocked extra point. KSU picked it up, but ran backwards into their own endzone and got tackled.

New EMAW: Every Miscue's from A Wildcat :mad:

How did they beat us? Seriously, I dunno, since I was baby badger sitting while family watched the game.

texaspokieokie
1/4/2013, 11:37 AM
If it was one point, how did they have 8.
Poor poor pitiful me.

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2013, 11:39 AM
New EMAW: Every Miscue's from A Wildcat :mad:

How did they beat us? Seriously, I dunno, since I was baby badger sitting while family watched the game.

If you watched the first half minus the first and last 30 seconds you'll see exactly how they beat us. They hogged the ball and suffocated the life out of Ducks offense. If they could have done it for 60 minutes, they would have won. But UO had too many play makers and once KU was forced to pass, they were dead ducks(heh). The fact that KSU sealed the game against us with a 12 yard pass play on 3rd down still irks me.

jkjsooner
1/4/2013, 12:07 PM
Poor poor pitiful me.

they had 8 after the first TD and a successful 2 pt conversion. That wasn't when the safety occured.

jkjsooner
1/4/2013, 12:13 PM
I've got to give myself props. You guys won't believe me but I don't care.

When I read this it reminded me of a play early in the game where I thought, "That looked like it was almost a one point safety." I just assumed that possesion wasn't gained until the ball was in the enzone because nobody said anything.

When I read this thread I thought surely that couldn't have happened a second time in the same game. I just watched the play and realized it was the same play and it wasn't called immediately. I was turning the game on and off so I missed the ruling.

badger
1/4/2013, 12:15 PM
Poor poor pitiful me.

You don't watch much Quack Ball, do you?

This is a dirty trick they've employed for at least two seasons. Most defenses get lazy on extra point attempts, so Quack takes advantage of this by sneaking in a two-point conversion when most extra-point defenses are lah-tee-dah on the field waiting for the kick to go through the uprights like it always does after a touchdown.

Pac 12 defenses are very keen on this trick by now and ready for a two-point attempt, at which point Quack will change formation and revert to regular kicking-lineup and just get their one point. However, at bowl time and non-conference time, Quack will repeatedly employ this little trick to get an extra-extra point out of a touchdown.

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2013, 12:51 PM
I don't see the 2 point conversion as a trick (maybe you were being sarcastic). It's in the rule book and maybe Kelly has done the math and it goes against accepted wisdom. And it's not like KSU didn't have over a month to prepare :) The ducks do it after the first score every time.

badger
1/4/2013, 12:55 PM
I don't see the 2 point conversion as a trick (maybe you were being sarcastic). It's in the rule book and maybe Kelly has done the math and it goes against accepted wisdom. And it's not like KSU didn't have over a month to prepare :) The ducks do it after the first score every time.

I don't mean that they're cheating, I mean that they're tricking the opposition. I think that's fair, since a majority if not all other teams don't do this.

jkjsooner
1/4/2013, 01:08 PM

Maybe the math for them works out. In general two point conversions are successful less than half the time.

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2013, 02:05 PM
Maybe the math for them works out. In general two point conversions are successful less than half the time.

Around 45% is the number I've seen. But most teams probably don't practice it that much and obviously UO does. Maybe they get it above the 50% success rate. I don't know their stats, but they seem to make it most the time I've watched them. I actually like the approach - I think Kelly does it as an "in your face" gesture. It's also one of those things that force the opposition to spend a disproportionate amount of time worrying about it during the practice week. And since it almost always occurs in the 1st qtr, they have to whole game to compensate for a miss.