PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D and Nintendo 3DS

badger
1/2/2013, 03:43 PM
Since we weren't early adopters of the Nintendo 3DS, we kind of let this one slide by us when it got released.

Well, we got a 3DS earlier last year and for Christmas, I got Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D.

I had forgotten how good this game was back on N64. I've been playing it as much as I can this past week. Highly recommend.

Anyone else out there have a Nintendo 3DS or play the Zelda remake? Any other game recommendations?

tator
1/2/2013, 05:24 PM
My fiance's love of Zelda has no end. I've bought her an actual ocarina that she learned to play. I've also fixed her old N64 so she could play Ocarina of Time approximately twice.

Other than that, I have nothing to add.

tator
1/2/2013, 05:28 PM
I also got her this for her birthday:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/toomanypixels/works/8240961-navi-quote-tee

badger
1/2/2013, 05:51 PM
I also got her this for her birthday:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/toomanypixels/works/8240961-navi-quote-tee
Perfect :D

Pricetag
1/6/2013, 12:47 AM
I've had a 3DS since pretty early in its lifecycle. I only have a few games for it, mostly because I'm just not up on videogames anymore. I don't know what the best games are.

I'm a Pilotwings geek, so that was the game I picked up when I got the system. It's pretty fun--there are more vehicles than previous games, but less locations--it's all on Wuhu Island from Wii Sports Resort. The 3D works pretty well for it.

Ocarina of Time was my second game. I don't have much to say about it--it was a wonderful game then, and it's a wonderful game now. The graphics updates were great, and the 3D again looks great on this one. The inclusion of the Master Quest after you beat the game is nice. I've been hoping that they would redo Majora's Mask, as well, but no dice so far on that one.

Mario Kart 7 was my third game. If you like the franchise, you'll like this game.

There is a pretty wide variety of stuff available online. One game that I bought there that I really like is VVVVVV. It's a retro platformer that is a real blast to play for folks who played games in the early '80s.

I want to get a new game for it, but I really don't know what to get next. I'm thinking maybe Super Mario Land 3D.

badger
1/7/2013, 09:16 AM
I think that Starfox 64 was remade for 3DS as well. If you liked it the first time around, might be another good pickup.

Funny that they're using the 3DS for remakes. Didn't they do a bit of this with the original DS too :D

Pricetag
1/7/2013, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I've pondered Starfox 64. I had the game back on N64, and beat it on the standard route, but barely scratched the surface on the alternate missions. The full retail version of that one is available for download in the shop.

Nintendo has been banking on rehashes of their classic franchises since the SNES. They almost always manage to make it worth it on the next platform.

SoonerStormchaser
1/8/2013, 11:08 PM
Zelda = teh ****!!!!

I've gone through Skyward Sword about five times now...and still love the game as much as the first time...

badger
1/9/2013, 09:23 AM
Zelda = teh ****!!!!

I've gone through Skyward Sword about five times now...and still love the game as much as the first time...

I played a demo at Pax11 but didn't get to see Skyward Sword through. NP got to be the one playing through Twilight Princess. I just watched most of the time :)

We sold our Wii in about 2010 because we just didn't play it (got it at launch). Now not sure if we'll go WiiU because with new baby around, vidya takes a back seat (although, this guy (http://www.penny-arcade.com/) makes a compelling argument)

Pricetag
1/9/2013, 12:23 PM
I still need to play through Twilight Princess. After I beat OoT on the 3DS, I started again, but then stalled again pretty early on.

badger
1/10/2013, 09:51 AM
I need to take like a week off from Zelda. The Z-targeting is now the L shoulder button on the 3DS, so I may get carpal tunnel if I continue playing so much :(

SoonerStormchaser
1/11/2013, 09:25 AM
My Gamecube is already in Germany...just waiting on me to move over there in two weeks...I have all the GC released Zelda games waiting on me (including the Master Quest disc and the OoT/MM special disc that I got when I bought the GC back in 2003). I like playing Twilight Princess a LOT more on GC than on Wii...probably because I am so used to the controls on the GC for that game.

The Wii is getting packed and shipped out today...so buh-bye Skyward Sword for the next 30-45 days...

I need to get a 3DS for when I get deployed next...

badger
1/11/2013, 09:50 AM
(including the Master Quest disc and the OoT/MM special disc that I got when I bought the GC back in 2003)

I decided to try Master Quest a bit -- died in the first dungeon (yes, the damn Deku Tree) because they add extra enemies, Link takes double damage and they switched the puzzles around to make them harder.

23 is number 1? No, more like "Try hitting the three scrubs in random varying orders till something finally works." I think 13 is number 2 finally worked for me, but I don't recall.

Ever play Four Swords? It looked fun, but the GC/GBA connectivity requirement made me not play it

Pricetag
1/11/2013, 02:09 PM
They were giving away a revamped Four Swords for awhile in the shop. I've played it a bit, but it seems like you have to have several players for it to really get fun.

SoonerStormchaser
1/11/2013, 08:39 PM
Hell yes I played Four Swords, Baj...the GC edition...the 2-D graphics were actually a welcome break from the 3-D of the rest of them...

It took me a bit to beat Master Quest...the goddamn Shadow and Spirit Temples are complete and utter pains in the ***!!!

badger
1/15/2013, 09:53 AM
OK, so I am only through the second temple in Master Quest and it is CRUEL --- nyah nyah, we're not giving you bombs till the end of the level, but you have to stare at the out-of-reach box in the first room, nyah. :mad:

jkjsooner
1/15/2013, 10:50 AM
I used to love the Zelda games back in the NES and SNES days. When the graphics got better (especially with the 3D polygonal systems), Zelda started looking too childish for me.

In the old systems the graphics were so rudimentary that there wasn't a distinction between cartoon looking games and more adult looking games. Okay, sure, cutting a bush and getting hearts was always sort of kiddy but back then most games were like that.

If I actually had a Nintendo system I'd probably try the later Zelda games but I'm afraid I'd just compare them to games with superior graphics.

Oh, and not ragging on Zelda. It's a brilliant franchise. I'd love for someone to make a Zelda type game that had Skyrim type graphics.

badger
1/15/2013, 11:08 AM
I'd love for someone to make a Zelda type game that had Skyrim type graphics.

I'm surprised that competitors haven't tried yet. I mean, with as much copying as there are in other forms of entertainment, where's the Zelda clones?

badger
1/16/2013, 05:49 PM
So... without spoiling the game, certain character in other parts of the game that regenerate health are now targets for your slingshot inside a dungeon. It is really weird

SoonerStormchaser
1/19/2013, 08:12 AM
Pretty much!

Btw...have fun with the Forest Temple in Master Quest...if you don't destroy your GC before then out of frustration, you will then!

badger
1/19/2013, 09:27 AM
Pretty much!

Btw...have fun with the Forest Temple in Master Quest...if you don't destroy your GC before then out of frustration, you will then!

playing it on 3ds, should be an easy smash compared with a TV console.

SoonerStormchaser
1/19/2013, 01:47 PM
Wait, they have OoT Master Quest in 3DS now?

badger
1/21/2013, 03:52 PM
Wait, they have OoT Master Quest in 3DS now?

Both versions are with OoT for 3DS :)

They even mirrored the original to really mix people up :D

OUTrumpet
1/21/2013, 08:39 PM
Pretty much!

I didn't think the Forest Temple was that bad. The Water Temple on the other hand.

SoonerStormchaser
1/22/2013, 06:45 PM
Water temple sucks balls even in the regular mode...especially getting up that hill to the boss door...I can only do it walking backwards with those damn iron boots...and it still takes me like 30 tries and I lose most of my hearts in the process.

Dark Link...otoh...pure badass! Should be a boss...not a mini-boss!

badger
1/24/2013, 02:27 PM
I am not sure on the master quest version (giving my poor fingers a break, as the Z-trigger is now the left shoulder button and a stretch on your left hand holding the 3DS at the same time), but in the easy quest version, they have changed it up so that there are guidelines directing you to the water level changing areas.

Dark Link also looks a bit more gray and can't simply be hit with the hammer over and over: :)
http://www.wiizelda.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/ocarina-of-time-3d-dark-link.png

OUTrumpet
1/24/2013, 10:47 PM
I am not sure on the master quest version (giving my poor fingers a break, as the Z-trigger is now the left shoulder button and a stretch on your left hand holding the 3DS at the same time), but in the easy quest version, they have changed it up so that there are guidelines directing you to the water level changing areas.

Dark Link also looks a bit more gray and can't simply be hit with the hammer over and over: :)
http://www.wiizelda.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/ocarina-of-time-3d-dark-link.png

Try the Big Goron sword. Not the bad one that breaks, but the good one from doing the actual quest. Swings like the hammer, but as fast as the sword.

SoonerStormchaser
1/25/2013, 02:26 PM
I just continually Din's Fired his *** until he died.

SoonerStormchaser
5/13/2013, 03:55 PM
Finally ponied out the $$ and bought me a 3DS and OoT before I deploy to Asscrackistan next month...gotta have something to do while I'm burning holes in the skies.