PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Sugar Bowl Phlorida vs Louis's Ville

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 07:14 AM
#21 vs # 3

Yeah....that seems like a great matchup. Maybe they should have gone with Kent St instead of the Cardinals?

Pricetag
1/2/2013, 03:30 PM
Yep. I can understand the Northern Illinois hate since we got snubbed, but Louisville is the team I really want to see get boat raced.

The Big East should have been stripped of their BCS bid years ago. The rule that put Northern Illinois in the BCS was meant to reward excellence in the lower tier conferences, and it was triggered by accident this year by the suckitude of the Big East and Big 10.

TAFBSooner
1/2/2013, 03:47 PM
Cardinals gotta fly, and I gotta root against the SECede.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/2/2013, 04:02 PM
Cardinals gotta fly, and I gotta root against the SECede.only SEC SEC SEC team i want to win is the one that plays domer

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2013, 04:19 PM
I expect the gator's D to smother Louisville as badly as FSU's D to NIU last night. I guess the big east > MAC, so maybe it won't be so bad.

1/2/2013, 04:22 PM
I expect the gator's D to smother Louisville as badly as FSU's D to NIU last night. I guess the big east > MAC, so maybe it won't be so bad.Our fiasco with Boise St. has put a permanent fear in the hearts and minds of all D1 programs, I gotta believe. FU won't be just going through the motions. Their fans and coach won't let them, IMHO .

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2013, 04:32 PM
Our fiasco with Boise St. has put a permanent fear in the hearts and minds of all D1 programs, I gotta believe. FU won't be just going through the motions. Their fans and coach won't let them, IMHO .

I was just commenting on the mis-match and not any motivation factor. The FSU physical mis-match against NIU created a game that wasn't worth watching. I could see that happening again tonight, but perhaps Louisville is more solid in the trenches than NIU. I only saw Louisville a couple of times this year and they were not very impressive and they were not playing good competition. The gators don't light up the scoreboard, but I wouldn't be surprised if their D actually outscores Louisville or sets up some very short fields for the O. I've got other plans tonight, and I'm not skeered that I'm going to miss anything.

8timechamps
1/2/2013, 04:34 PM
I'm not so sure Louisville loses tonight. I've seen Florida struggle against some pretty average teams (La-Lafayette, Bowling Green). Florida is another one of the SEC teams I think is overrated (LSU and A&M were the others).

TAFBSooner
1/2/2013, 04:39 PM
only SEC SEC SEC team i want to win is the one that plays domer

I understand the history - I was born the year we beat them, but for this week only I will have to learn ND's version of the words to their fight song.

badger
1/2/2013, 04:41 PM
Any guesses for how Nike will word play the winning team on the postgame shirt?
Rose Bowl:
http://www.nikeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Nike-Stanford-Rose-Bowl-Shirts.jpg
Orange Bowl:
http://www.nikeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Florida-State-Orange-Bowl-Champs.jpg

badger
1/2/2013, 04:43 PM
I will guess "Ville Victory" and "Gator Greater" but they probably have something more lame in mind

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2013, 04:45 PM
If they read any opposing fan boards, it will be something like "Florida Gay-turds"

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2013, 04:52 PM
I'm not so sure Louisville loses tonight. I've seen Florida struggle against some pretty average teams (La-Lafayette, Bowling Green). Florida is another one of the SEC teams I think is overrated (LSU and A&M were the others).

I like the way you think - especially about the game on Friday :) But even if A&M is rated fairly, I still like our chances.

1/2/2013, 05:06 PM
I understand the history - I was born the year we beat them, but for this week only I will have to learn ND's version of the words to their fight song.A disgraceful loss, worse than the one of which we do not speak, would be in order for the domer on monday...even if it is to SEC SEC SEC .

EatLeadCommie
1/2/2013, 05:06 PM
These first 3 BCS bowl matchups have just been awful. Wisc-Stanford, NIU-FSU, and now Louisville-UF. Snorefest. I realize Wisc-Stanford was a good game, but the matchup sucked, and all 3 of these matchups suck. They are not intriguing at all.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2013, 05:42 PM
These first 3 BCS bowl matchups have just been awful. Wisc-Stanford, NIU-FSU, and now Louisville-UF. Snorefest. I realize Wisc-Stanford was a good game, but the matchup sucked, and all 3 of these matchups suck. They are not intriguing at all.

The only thing that kept the Rose bowl competitive was the fact the Stanford QB played poorly. I guess that can happen with a RS FR who has only started 4 previous games. It was still an interesting contest watching the coaches adjust on the fly to what they could and couldn't do. The coaching chess match can be very entertaining when it is apparent what is going on.

cleller
1/2/2013, 07:20 PM

Makes you wish for the days when the rich guys and sports writers ran the show. They were more like the Vegas betting guys. They knew who was better, because money was riding on it.

BetterSoonerThanLater
1/2/2013, 08:33 PM
First play from scrimmage, florida throws a pic six. I for one would love to see florida get hammered

Petro-Sooner
1/2/2013, 08:35 PM
Nice turnout.

1/2/2013, 08:37 PM
First play from scrimmage, florida throws a pic six. I for one would love to see florida get hammered

SEC dislike> punishing punk teams for their presence in BCS games. ALL DAY EVERY DAY!

Boomer Mooner
1/2/2013, 08:48 PM
I'm finding this game very entertaining. Hope Florida gets stomped and they have a ton of stunned gator shots in the crowd.

salth2o
1/2/2013, 08:49 PM
Teh Go Gators are flat out "bringing the hat" tonight!

FaninAma
1/2/2013, 08:50 PM
Teh Go Gators are flat out "bringing the hat" tonight!

helmet to helmet and blatant face mask not called on the Gators.

olevetonahill
1/2/2013, 08:54 PM

Looks like Fla. is sailing smooth waters right now :welcoming:

cleller
1/2/2013, 08:56 PM
Wow. I think Muschamp just lost some maleness.

olevetonahill
1/2/2013, 09:02 PM
Wow. I think Muschamp just lost some maleness.

:welcoming:

BetterSoonerThanLater
1/2/2013, 09:02 PM
Go gaytah down 14-0 that SEC SEC SEC defense and speed must have been left on the bus

cleller
1/2/2013, 09:03 PM
Muschamp is not Strong? I'm officially pulling for Louisville now. I'd been too focused on the rankings, and not on the Horn factor.

olevetonahill
1/2/2013, 09:06 PM
WTF did I just see? Im going to poke my eyes out if they show that Fat Pig again

OUNASH
1/2/2013, 09:19 PM
Im pullin for the Ville, considering I am currently working in Florida and hear how the gaytors are awesome and OU sucks. Would be great if Louisville can hold on and OU wins tomorrow night.

lexsooner
1/2/2013, 09:42 PM
WTF did I just see? Im going to poke my eyes out if they show that Fat Pig again

At least the pig did not get his commerical after being an NFL bench warmer. I was enjoying this game until peckerhead showed up on the sidelines, all smiles despite the bad luck he has brought his former team.

Soonerwake
1/2/2013, 09:50 PM
Is it me or are the Florida players cockier than usual? Every tackle for loss, which is happening every time Louisville tries to run the ball, results in some type of "look at me", "I'm the baddest man on the planet" celebration. I'm all for "swagger", but this is getting ridiculous, especially considering the scoreboard..

Jack T.
1/2/2013, 09:51 PM
It's. . .beautiful.

cleller
1/2/2013, 09:51 PM
This L'ville offense is strange. All or nothing.

Somewhere there is an expensive looking floozy packing up her stuff and vacating Muschamp's pad. He get none tonight.

olevetonahill
1/2/2013, 09:54 PM
At least the pig did not get his commerical after being an NFL bench warmer. I was enjoying this game until peckerhead showed up on the sidelines, all smiles despite the bad luck he has brought his former team.

No, I was talking about that Broad they showed with all the other girls In swim suits er somepun. This chick was fatter than the Michelin Man

cleller
1/2/2013, 09:54 PM
I was definitely right in hoping we'd get paired up with Florida in our bowl game. NIU really screwed the order up.

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 09:55 PM
I'd like to be sitting next to Muscamp's Wife right now just to see how she's doing....

Jacie
1/2/2013, 09:55 PM
Before the game started I thought, based on coaches, Louisville was the better team but (believing all the talking heads) Florida was the better team and was going to beat the Cardinals worse than FSU over NIU. I have always thought Muschamp was a little too excitable on the sideline for his team's own good. Happy to see Louisville making a game of it.

Man, did Mohammed Ali look like he had no idea where he was or what was going on during the coin toss?

olevetonahill
1/2/2013, 09:56 PM
Is it me or are the Florida players cockier than usual? Every tackle for loss, which is happening every time Louisville tries to run the ball, results in some type of "look at me", "I'm the baddest man on the planet" celebration. I'm all for "swagger", but this is getting ridiculous, especially considering the scoreboard..

What the hell they got to be cocky about? They down 24-3

olevetonahill
1/2/2013, 09:58 PM
Before the game started I thought, based on coaches, Louisville was the better team but (believing all the talking heads) Florida was the better team and was going to beat the Cardinals worse than FSU over NIU. I have always thought Muschamp was a little too excitable on the sideline for his team's own good. Happy to see Louisville making a game of it.

Man, did Mohammed Ali look like he had no idea where he was or what was going on during the coin toss?

He was so confused he was tryin to figure out who Mohammed Ali was.

cleller
1/2/2013, 10:00 PM
Man, did Mohammed Ali look like he had no idea where he was or what was going on during the coin toss?[/QUOTE]

He was so confused he was tryin to figure out who Mohammed Ali was.[/QUOTE]

Hey Mo-man: who was Cassius Clay? He's still a draft dodger to me.

olevetonahill
1/2/2013, 10:05 PM
Man, did Mohammed Ali look like he had no idea where he was or what was going on during the coin toss?[/QUOTE]

He was so confused he was tryin to figure out who Mohammed Ali was.

Hey Mo-man: who was Cassius Clay? He's still a draft dodger to me.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I agree

OU_Sooners75
1/2/2013, 10:09 PM
Sure hope Charlie Strong makes sure his defense tightens up again in the second half.

They allowed a very easy TD when they could have continued to play their regular offense and kept them out of the end zone on Floridas final drive there.

UL gets ball I believe. I hope UL just keeps playing pretty good. And if they get the upset, sweet. If not but they stay close, then nice too!

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 10:10 PM
As I've gotten older....I really think Ali owed a lot of his fame to Howard Cosell. Not much to talk about in this game other than whether phlorida can comeback in the 2nd half.

RoaminSooner
1/2/2013, 10:11 PM
Wow. I'm actually embarrassed. Ya'll should be ashamed. Seriously.

RoaminSooner
1/2/2013, 10:13 PM
As for the game- I love seeing a vaunted SEC defense get worked. I hope they can keep it up.

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 10:14 PM
President Bush awarding the Medal of Freedom to Ali

http://www.hindu.com/2005/11/11/images/2005111102772201.jpg

olevetonahill
1/2/2013, 10:15 PM
Wow. I'm actually embarrassed. Ya'll should be ashamed. Seriously.
Cassius Clay? Since when cant we make fun of someone?

RoaminSooner
1/2/2013, 10:32 PM
Crickets.... Seriously? Maybe because he's a disabled 70+ year old man? Disabled because he is an athlete who gave up his golden years- that deserves some respect.

olevetonahill
Holy shat, Gators are desperate . and it cost em big

cleller
This is just Muschamp neutering overload. Unbelievable. He's a eunuch.

Turd_Ferguson
1/2/2013, 10:33 PM
lmao!!!

Jacie
1/2/2013, 10:34 PM
Muschamp sucking lemons or what?

olevetonahill
Crickets.... Seriously? Maybe because he's a disabled 70+ year old man? Disabled because he is an athlete who gave up his golden years- that deserves some respect.

Sorry He gets NO respect from me.
Cry for him somewhere else.

cleller
Keep your fingers crossed. Louisville is trying to erase all the Boise memories.

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 10:35 PM
gheyturds 10

cards 30

Nice....

RoaminSooner
1/2/2013, 10:36 PM
Cry? F*** you ******

olevetonahill
1/2/2013, 10:36 PM
Keep your fingers crossed. Louisville is trying to erase all the Boise memories.

That aint gonna happen if WE keep bringin it up.

Turd_Ferguson
1/2/2013, 10:37 PM

**** off dip ****

olevetonahill
Cry? F*** you ******

Temper Temper child, Now go take a time out.

Jacie
Hope the difference 'tween winning and losing isn't that missed PAT . . .

cleller
1/2/2013, 10:38 PM

Sorry, he was tried and found guilty of draft evasion. I have no respect for him. He put himself before his country.

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 10:38 PM
Damn....Louisville are like the Gator Boys going into a pond and pulling out gators barehanded.

olevetonahill
1/2/2013, 10:40 PM
Muschamp is blowing his skirt up.

olevetonahill
1/2/2013, 10:41 PM
Hope the difference 'tween winning and losing isn't that missed PAT . . .

Dont think its gonna matter

Jacie
1/2/2013, 10:41 PM
That timeout may have saved em a TD . . .

. . . and the PAT comment was sarcasm.

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 10:43 PM
Cards really messed up there. That was at least a 3 point gimme.

Also....phlorida phans doing that gator chomp at 20 points down....

Pleaseeeeeee!

olevetonahill
1/2/2013, 10:45 PM
That timeout may have saved em a TD . . .

. . . and the PAT comment was sarcasm.

Its kinda hard to hear when Ya aint saying it very loud :welcoming:

sussudio
1/2/2013, 10:52 PM
Is it me or does Muschamp look like Lionel Messi's fat twin?

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 10:55 PM
Is it me or does Muschamp look like Lionel Messi's fat twin?

He looks like a battered Husband.

http://www.insidecostarica.com/dailynews/2012/august/13/battered-husband-white.jpg

MichiganSooner
1/2/2013, 10:57 PM
So do we want Louisville in the Big 12? Looking pretty good against the SEC. Basketball.

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 10:59 PM
So do we want Louisville in the Big 12? Looking pretty good against the SEC. Basketball.

I'm not opposed

Wishboned
1/2/2013, 10:59 PM
Sorry, he was tried and found guilty of draft evasion. I have no respect for him. He put himself before his country.

Definitely. No respect. But there are plenty of people on this board who will defend draft dodgers.

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 11:01 PM
Papa John Stadium is currently 55,000 and a pretty nice place....

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/lou/sports/m-footbl/auto_player/6077022.jpeg

cleller
1/2/2013, 11:02 PM
In re: do we want L'ville in Big 12?:

Lets wait till Strong is gone.

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 11:02 PM
Definitely. No respect. But there are plenty of people on this board who will defend draft dodgers.

Not me. I can't believe GWB gave him the Medal of Freedom.

sussudio
1/2/2013, 11:04 PM
They're still acting like this down by 20 I suppose it's a ghetto trash thing..

Wishboned
1/2/2013, 11:04 PM
Not me. I can't believe GWB gave him the Medal of Freedom.

I remember Carter giving a Medal of Freedom to another one of this country's great cowards.

cleller
1/2/2013, 11:06 PM
Crap. L'ville is kicking the Florida to the curb and still shooting themselves in the foot.

How about Speilman? "Not much penetration, that tells me that was a low kick." You could see it was a low kick by the way it never got 10 feet off the ground.

olevetonahill
1/2/2013, 11:09 PM

Well yea . Some of em even worship Slick I Loath the Military willie

OUinFLA
1/2/2013, 11:10 PM
Florida did not come to play tonight.

Sound familier?

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 11:13 PM
I remember Carter giving a Medal of Freedom to another one of this country's great cowards.

Two wrongs don't make a right

Wishboned
1/2/2013, 11:14 PM
Two wrongs don't make a right

But three rights do make a left.

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 11:15 PM
Done with politics in this thread....

8timechamps
1/2/2013, 11:20 PM
Florida has been able to move the ball two ways:

Called QB keeper.

Trick-plays.

Otherwise, Louisville has pretty much dominated.

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 11:21 PM
Time for.......?

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/a9/a93d6f4a4d3f1a03638c4134784629f4/introducing_tebowing_its_like_planking_but_dumber. jpg

cleller
1/2/2013, 11:22 PM
Oh boy, this is fun.

olevetonahill
1/2/2013, 11:22 PM
Florida has been able to move the ball two ways:

Called QB keeper.

Trick-plays.

Otherwise, Louisville has pretty much dominated.

They've also done a good job of turning it over so it goes the other way on em.:chuncky:

cleller
1/2/2013, 11:23 PM

Who? I gotta know now.

Wishboned
1/2/2013, 11:23 PM
I thought watching LSU lose was great. This is so much better.

8timechamps
1/2/2013, 11:24 PM
They've also done a good job of turning it over so it goes the other way on em.:chuncky:

Yep. Louisville's defense is playing really well.

Wishboned
Who? I gotta know now.

Carter gave the Medal of Freedom to John Wayne. Draft dodger. His acting career was more important than serving.

8timechamps
I thought watching LSU lose was great. This is so much better.

Just think, the two teams that beat mighty A&M will probably end up with losses in their bowl games. SEC, SEC, SEC!

1/2/2013, 11:26 PM
Oh boy, this is fun.WAIT.... this can't be! I thought FU was in the SEC SEC SEC !

Wishboned
1/2/2013, 11:26 PM
Just think, the two teams that beat mighty A&M will probably end up with losses in their bowl games. SEC, SEC, SEC!

I hope the next two SEC teams lose as well. Even if it means cheering for the domers.

Wishboned
1/2/2013, 11:29 PM
WAIT.... this can't be! I thought FU was in the SEC SEC SEC !

Well Louisville is overrated. And I'm sure at some point Florida has had a play tonight that equals one of the best plays of all time.

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 11:29 PM
I hope the next two SEC teams lose as well. Even if it means cheering for the domers.

Unless Bama hangs 100. Then I can enjoy watching Brian Kelly dodge questions about his incompetency.

cleller
1/2/2013, 11:32 PM
OK. L'ville obviously wins this big. They were ranked #21, Florida #3. What were the rankings with the BSU Fiesta Bowl?

Without doubt this is a much bigger upset; but it has not been a close, or memorable game. Do you think the media will blow this up like they did the BSU crap?
Doubt it.

olevetonahill
1/2/2013, 11:33 PM
Heh, I think its time fer this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtGxusvUT3k

Wishboned
1/2/2013, 11:35 PM
Heh, I think its time fer this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtGxusvUT3k

I miss Dandy Don.

Moore
Shock the world!

StoopTroup
Andre DeBose says he's had enough of this BS.....lol

sussudio
1/2/2013, 11:37 PM
OK. L'ville obviously wins this big. They were ranked #21, Florida #3. What were the rankings with the BSU Fiesta Bowl?

Without doubt this is a much bigger upset; but it has not been a close, or memorable game. Do you think the media will blow this up like they did the BSU crap?
Doubt it.
OU was # 7 and Boise St was #9

Wishboned
1/2/2013, 11:39 PM

Doubt it.

Boise was 9th. OU was 7th. OU was favored by 7 1/2.

cleller
1/2/2013, 11:39 PM
Carter gave the Medal of Freedom to John Wayne. Draft dodger. His acting career was more important than serving.

Well, this ain't the place for it, although I liked the Duke, that did bug me. Wayne was 34 married and had 4 kids in 1942, and was never drafted.
He caught a lot of crap from John Ford and his buddies, and tried his best to make up for it, IMO. He probably shoulda enlisted.

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 11:40 PM
Muscamp has the look like he thinks he can still pull this off....

Piware
1/2/2013, 11:41 PM
The only reason I am watching this is to see Muschump sweat. It's kinda fun!

Plexis22
1/2/2013, 11:41 PM
With this win does any "Louisville to the Big 12" talk begin in the offseason? I think they would be a decent addition, at least until OU joins the PAC 12 or SEC.

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 11:44 PM
Well, this ain't the place for it, although I liked the Duke, that did bug me. Wayne was 34 married and had 4 kids in 1942, and was never drafted.
He caught a lot of crap from John Ford and his buddies, and tried his best to make up for it, IMO.

I'm sure if Wayne had known he could serve on Ford's Yacht drinking and smoking cigars and filming the War.....he might of joined up. I'm not trying to say Ford was a ***** either....he just had it pretty good compared to a lot of folks. He had a sweet gig.

http://dmn.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Frank-Capra-And-John-Ford.jpg

Wishboned
He caught a lot of crap from John Ford and his buddies, and tried his best to make up for it, IMO. He probably shoulda enlisted.

Clark Gable was 40 and went against the express wishes of FDR to fly combat missions.

olevetonahill
I miss Dandy Don.

He made the games fun.

Wishboned
1/2/2013, 11:45 PM
He made the games fun.

That he did.

sooneredaco
1/2/2013, 11:45 PM
SEC! SEC! SEC!!!! Hahahahaha!

OU_Sooners75
1/2/2013, 11:46 PM
With this win does any "Louisville to the Big 12" talk begin in the offseason? I think they would be a decent addition, at least until OU joins the PAC 12 or SEC.

OU (along with all current Big 12 member) will not be leaving the Big 12 anytime soon.

Its too big of a money maker for Fox and ESPN for the conference to break up.

sooneredaco
1/2/2013, 11:50 PM
So the mighty SEC is 3-3 in bowl games thus far. Can't wait to hear the SEC co€k suckers aka eSpin take on this

cleller
1/2/2013, 11:51 PM
What's next for Strong, ya figure?

MyT Oklahoma
1/2/2013, 11:51 PM
SEC! SEC! SEC!!!! Hahahahaha!

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas."

Wishboned
1/2/2013, 11:53 PM
So the mighty SEC is 3-3 in bowl games thus far. Can't wait to hear the SEC co€k suckers aka eSpin take on this

Cue Saban'sballs.

Therealsouthsider
1/2/2013, 11:54 PM

...you mean Like Traber? lol

SS

Jacie
1/2/2013, 11:58 PM
I don't recall seeing 3 onside kicks in one game, let alone 3 by the same team . . .

Jacie
1/3/2013, 12:00 AM
Gatorade shower for Strong? Really, why not throw that stuff on Muschamp. As hot as his engine seems to run, he could stand a cooling off.

olevetonahill
1/3/2013, 12:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi69utdvDcA

StoopTroup
1/3/2013, 12:01 AM
Congrats to Louisville.

cleller
1/3/2013, 12:02 AM
Clark Gable was 40 and went against the express wishes of FDR to fly combat missions.

True, he was also a widower with no dependents. I'll admit he could have volunteered like Ford....

Wishboned
1/3/2013, 12:04 AM
Feel the boom!

salth2o
1/3/2013, 12:06 AM
Congrats to Lville.

StoopTroup
1/3/2013, 12:07 AM
Poor Muscamp....

http://neveryetmelted.com/wp-images/CrocHand.jpg

1/3/2013, 12:07 AM
I don't recall seeing 3 onside kicks in one game, let alone 3 by the same team . . .When your team sucks air that hard, it's the only hope ya got...FAIL...

SEC SEC SEC

haha

Wishboned
1/3/2013, 12:10 AM
True, he was also a widower with no dependents. I'll admit he could have volunteered like Ford....

He could have. Even if his service was making movies for the military. But for a man who made his career playing the hero to not serve his country when they called was less than honorable.

1/3/2013, 12:15 AM
Reese Davis: "this game is the biggest upset in the history of BCS Bowls."

Wishboned
1/3/2013, 12:16 AM

I concur.

Tiptonsooner
1/3/2013, 12:17 AM

God I hope so!!!!

Wishboned
1/3/2013, 12:19 AM
Someone said this in another thread. We were a Notre Dame upset away from Florida playing Alabama for the title.

StoopTroup
1/3/2013, 12:21 AM
He could have. Even if his service was making movies for the military. But for a man who made his career playing the hero to not serve his country when they called was less than honorable.

I think folks were pretty harsh about Wayne. Compare what Ali did....it's not even the same thing.

Also....

At the time of Pearl Harbor, Wayne was 34 years old. His marriage was on the rocks but he still had four kids to support. His career was taking off, in large part on the strength of his work in the classic western Stagecoach (1939). But he wasn't rich. Should he chuck it all and enlist? Many of Hollywood's big names, such as Henry Fonda, Jimmy Stewart, and Clark Gable, did just that. (Fonda, Wills points out, was 37 at the time and had a wife and three kids.) But these were established stars. Wayne knew that if he took a few years off for military service, there was a good chance that by the time he got back he'd be over the hill.

Besides, he specialized in the kind of movies a nation at war wanted to see, in which a rugged American hero overcame great odds. Recognizing that Hollywood was an important part of the war effort, Washington had told California draft boards to go easy on actors. Perhaps rationalizing that he could do more good at home, Wayne obtained 3-A status, "deferred for [family] dependency reasons." He told friends he'd enlist after he made just one or two more movies.

The real question is why he never did so. Wayne cranked out thirteen movies during the war, many with war-related themes. Most of the films were enormously successful and within a short time the Duke was one of America's most popular stars. His bankability now firmly established, he could have joined the military, secure in the knowledge that Hollywood would welcome him back later. He even made a half-hearted effort to sign up, sending in the paperwork to enlist in the naval photography unit commanded by a good friend, director John Ford.

But he didn't follow through. Nobody really knows why; Wayne didn't like to talk about it. A guy who prided himself on doing his own stunts, he doesn't seem to have lacked physical courage. One suspects he just found it was a lot more fun being a Hollywood hero than the real kind. Many movie star-soldiers had enlisted in the first flush of patriotism after Pearl Harbor. As the war ground on, slogging it out in the trenches seemed a lot less exciting. The movies, on the other hand, had put Wayne well on the way to becoming a legend. "Wayne increasingly came to embody the American fighting man," Wills writes. In late 1943 and early 1944 he entertained the troops in the Pacific theater as part of a USO tour. An intelligence bigshot asked him to give his impression of Douglas MacArthur. He was fawned over by the press when he got back. Meanwhile, he was having a torrid affair with a beautiful Mexican woman. How could military service compare with that?

In 1944, Wayne received a 2-A classification, "deferred in support of [the] national . . . interest." A month later the Selective Service decided to revoke many previous deferments and reclassified him 1-A. But Wayne's studio appealed and got his 2-A status reinstated until after the war ended.

People who knew Wayne say he felt bad about not having served. (During the war he'd gotten into a few fights with servicemen who wondered why he wasn't in uniform.) Some think his guilty conscience was one reason he became such a superpatriot later. The fact remains that the man who came to symbolize American patriotism and pride had a chance to do more than just act the part, and he let it pass.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1055/was-john-wayne-a-draft-dodger

Wishboned
1/3/2013, 12:25 AM
I think folks were pretty harsh about Wayne. Compare what Ali did....it's not even the same thing.

Also....

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1055/was-john-wayne-a-draft-dodger

Harsh? He's been put on a hero's pedestal for years.

And I don't see a difference. A draft dodger is a draft dodger in my eyes.

1/3/2013, 12:27 AM
Someone said this in another thread. We were a Notre Dame upset away from Florida playing Alabama for the title.Too bad we didn't beat them bastages. We woulda had that victory over domer at Owen Field, AND kept their sorry asse* out of the NC game.

Wishboned
1/3/2013, 12:29 AM
Too bad we didn't beat them bastages. We woulda had that victory over domer at Owen Field, AND kept their sorry asse* out of the NC game.

I hate to say it RLIMC but I'd rather see Notre Dame win than Alabama. That's how much I hate the SEC.

1/3/2013, 12:30 AM
Harsh? He's been put on a hero's pedestal for years.

And I don't see a difference. A draft dodger is a draft dodger in my eyes.John Wayn's dodge was in the WWII, right, when most Americans didn't even need to be drafted. They volunteered, out of fear for our very lives, from attacks by both Japan and Germany.

1/3/2013, 12:31 AM
I hate to say it RLIMC but I'd rather see Notre Dame win than Alabama. That's how much I hate the SEC.not to worry. I won't tell the domer you're on their side.

olevetonahill
1/3/2013, 12:31 AM
I hate to say it RLIMC but I'd rather see Notre Dame win than Alabama. That's how much I hate the SEC.

I agree with ya. I used to like Bama, But Im gettin sick of all this SEC shat myself

Wishboned
1/3/2013, 12:33 AM
not to worry. I won't tell the domer you're on their side.

I appreciate that. I'm semi ashamed.

1/3/2013, 12:39 AM
I'll be saying Sooner Catholic upbringing prayers for both you guys!

Eielson
1/3/2013, 12:40 AM

Imagine the chaos if it weren't for Clowney's incredible play. Florida lost to Louisville, LSU lost to Clemson, Miss. St was Northwestern's first bowl win since 1949, South Carolina would've lost to Michigan if it hadn't been for one of the best plays of the year from Clowney, and Georgia really struggled against a Nebraska team that just got ran off the field by Wisconsin. Vanderbilt is the lone bright spot. Seeing all these SEC teams ahead of OU has been frustrating. I wish we would've had a shot at Florida, but I think we'll take out our frustrations on A&M. I'm starting to lean towards ND in the championship game.

1/3/2013, 12:50 AM
Imagine the chaos if it weren't for Clowney's incredible play. Florida lost to Louisville, LSU lost to Clemson, Miss. St was Northwestern's first bowl win since 1949, South Carolina would've lost to Michigan if it hadn't been for one of the best plays of the year from Clowney, and Georgia really struggled against a Nebraska team that just got ran off the field by Wisconsin. Vanderbilt is the lone bright spot. Seeing all these SEC teams ahead of OU has been frustrating. I wish we would've had a shot at Florida, but I think we'll take out our frustrations on A&M. I'm starting to lean towards ND in the championship game.FU's and Tigahbaits' losses, and Georgia and So Carolina's scares, SHOULD serve to motivate the red elephants, by not allowing them to get a superiority complex of any kind. As long as it doesn't effect their confidence.

Soonerfan88
1/3/2013, 01:29 AM
Wow, those vaunted SEC defenses sure are giving up a lot of points this bowl season. I thought the long layoff was supposed to make the offenses worse?

I thought the Big12 should have brought in Louisville with WV instead of TCU since the Texas, especially DFW, tv market was already secure. Too late now as they are going to the ACC.

And some of you need to do a little more research as John Wayne never dodged anything. http://jwayne.com/2010/03/01/john-wayne-world-war-ii-and-the-draft/

StoopTroup
1/3/2013, 01:38 AM
Wow, those vaunted SEC defenses sure are giving up a lot of points this bowl season. I thought the long layoff was supposed to make the offenses worse?

I thought the Big12 should have brought in Louisville with WV instead of TCU since the Texas, especially DFW, tv market was already secure. Too late now as they are going to the ACC.

And some of you need to do a little more research as John Wayne never dodged anything. http://jwayne.com/2010/03/01/john-wayne-world-war-ii-and-the-draft/

Thanks. I'm done arguing with someone who has made up his mind.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2013, 01:43 AM

Dang, 8time, I am not worthy. I'm glad I don't bet these games and if I ever do, I'm checking with you first.

BigJerm7
1/3/2013, 06:18 AM

It wasn't just you. I have a few buddies I text during games and we noticed the same. They were even doing it after they were losing by 20. They also said Florida was the most penalized team in the SEC, which to me translates bad coaching and no discipline.

Wishboned
1/3/2013, 08:49 AM
John Wayn's dodge was in the WWII, right, when most Americans didn't even need to be drafted. They volunteered, out of fear for our very lives, from attacks by both Japan and Germany.

In America's greatest time of need.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/3/2013, 08:55 AM
Where's that smug sec circle jerker to tell us how great the sec sec sec is?

I'm taking ND outright in the champ game. Did anybody see that lsu o against Vulnerables? Bama's D made lsu look like an actual D-1 offense. And then they won the hypesman for johnny hayseed. That ND qb will be the leading hypesman candidate for 2013 after Mon night.

yermom
1/3/2013, 09:40 AM
man, i checked out last night. should have watched this one :D

olevetonahill
1/3/2013, 09:53 AM
man, i checked out last night. should have watched this one :D

Other than watchin Fl. get their butts kicked it wernt that good a game
That an Fl. with all the trick plays that mostly dint werk

stoops the eternal pimp
1/3/2013, 09:59 AM
Will Muschamp proved last night he deserved the title "Texas Head Coach In Waiting".

olevetonahill
1/3/2013, 10:05 AM
Will Muschamp proved last night he deserved the title "Texas Head Coach In Waiting".

:excitement:

KantoSooner
1/3/2013, 10:10 AM
Charlie Strong >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Will Mudchump X eleventy billion

Strong builds teams with character who play well, strong. Mudchump collects whining convicts who fold like cheap lawn chairs when things get hard. So very, very glad the entire nation got to see that jackass get exposed last night.

And, yes, it was ALL about the coaches. Florida had the better athletes, but still couldn't grrab their butts with either hand.

TUSooner
1/3/2013, 10:19 AM
Charlie Strong >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Will Mudchump X eleventy billion

Strong builds teams with character who play well, strong. Mudchump collects whining convicts who fold like cheap lawn chairs when things get hard. So very, very glad the entire nation got to see that jackass get exposed last night.

And, yes, it was ALL about the coaches. Florida had the better athletes, but still couldn't grrab their butts with either hand.

Exactly. UFla showed no cool and no class throughout the game. FU, UF!!!

heh "cheap lawn chairs" heh heh

jkjsooner
1/3/2013, 10:42 AM
Imagine the chaos if it weren't for Clowney's incredible play. Florida lost to Louisville, LSU lost to Clemson, Miss. St was Northwestern's first bowl win since 1949, South Carolina would've lost to Michigan if it hadn't been for one of the best plays of the year from Clowney, and Georgia really struggled against a Nebraska team that just got ran off the field by Wisconsin. Vanderbilt is the lone bright spot. Seeing all these SEC teams ahead of OU has been frustrating. I wish we would've had a shot at Florida, but I think we'll take out our frustrations on A&M. I'm starting to lean towards ND in the championship game.

I agree. I thought that Texas A&M exposed the SEC this year but it seems that everyone just assumed that A&M was a thousand times better than they have been. (Clearly they have improved and are better. I'm not doubting that.)

Seeing the SEC being mortal against passing teams leads me to believe that both Manziel and A&M have been oversold.

texaspokieokie
1/3/2013, 10:49 AM
he said the same thing in the osa/purdue game. he's very limited.

Crap. L'ville is kicking the Florida to the curb and still shooting themselves in the foot.

How about Speilman? "Not much penetration, that tells me that was a low kick." You could see it was a low kick by the way it never got 10 feet off the ground.

Eielson
1/3/2013, 12:06 PM

Louisville would've been kicked around in the Big XII just like WVU.

winout
1/3/2013, 12:56 PM
Louisville would've been kicked around in the Big XII just like WVU.

The main thing is their commitment to athletics, which I believe UL has. With the prestige of the Big 12, they could probably recruit better atheletes so they would get better. I think we need to start snagging SE universities even of the like so of Fl-Atlantic and USF as long as they have shown a commitment to their AD. Get FSU, Clemson if you can... start an eastern division.

Eielson
1/3/2013, 01:15 PM
The main thing is their commitment to athletics, which I believe UL has. With the prestige of the Big 12, they could probably recruit better atheletes so they would get better. I think we need to start snagging SE universities even of the like so of Fl-Atlantic and USF as long as they have shown a commitment to their AD. Get FSU, Clemson if you can... start an eastern division.

Yeah, if we went to super-conferences, I would love to get FSU and Clemson and do that.

yermom
1/3/2013, 01:17 PM
get 6 more teams from out there, and pretend that TCU is east. works for me since they wanted to be in the Big East anyway :D

Eielson
1/3/2013, 01:25 PM
get 6 more teams from out there, and pretend that TCU is east. works for me since they wanted to be in the Big East anyway :D

FSU, Clemson, Miami, UNC, WVU, Louisville plus two more would be awesome for an eastern division. Not getting my hopes up, though.

StoopTroup
1/3/2013, 04:39 PM
In say a playoff system....would we play Louisville after we beat aTm?