PDA

View Full Version : So FSU QB is only the second?

olevetonahill
1/2/2013, 12:43 AM
QB to win 4 Bowl games.

Did I hear em tright?
If so then Landry has a shot of being the 3rd.

stoopified
1/2/2013, 01:09 AM
QB to win 4 Bowl games.

Did I hear em tright?
If so then Landry has a shot of being the 3rd.Exactly what I was thinking.

ouwasp
1/2/2013, 01:11 AM
I was only about halfway paying attn; most of the time I had the mute on... were they talking all NCAA qbs or just FSU?

olevetonahill
1/2/2013, 01:14 AM
I was only about halfway paying attn; most of the time I had the mute on... were they talking all NCAA qbs or just FSU?

Im like you I were only Halve assed listenin to em .

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2013, 01:17 AM
They meant all QBs because the first one was Pat White at WVU (yes, he got one of 'em against us).

I doubt there is that many QBs that have played in 4 bowl games, so it's not surprising that winning 4 is rare.

EatLeadCommie
1/2/2013, 01:26 AM
Yep, it's only recently that we have so many bowl games that pretty much guarantee any decent program of 4 straight bowl seasons, and in the very old days, you couldn't go to the same bowl two years in a row I think. In between that time when you didn't have so many bowl games and there was no prohibition on going to consecutive games, you actually had to play quality opponents too so it was harder to win them.

Salt City Sooner
1/2/2013, 01:31 AM
White's still the only one because Manuel did not start in their win over South Carolina to end the '10 season. He came in in the 2nd quarter when Ponder got hurt.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/2/2013, 02:05 AM
They meant all QBs because the first one was Pat White at WVU (yes, he got one of 'em against us).

I doubt there is that many QBs that have played in 4 bowl games, so it's not surprising that winning 4 is rare.If we can muster some semblance of defense, we can subdue johnny hyman and gang, and the SEC SEC SEC can get their 3rd bowl loss this season.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/2/2013, 02:08 AM
Yep, it's only recently that we have so many bowl games that pretty much guarantee any decent program of 4 straight bowl seasons, and in the very old days, you couldn't go to the same bowl two years in a row I think. In between that time when you didn't have so many bowl games and there was no prohibition on going to consecutive games, you actually had to play quality opponents too so it was harder to win them.I would have to research to be sure, but I believe in the 1950's a team couldn't even go to ANY bowl for 2 yrs in a row.

swardboy
1/2/2013, 06:00 AM
I believe you're right Rush.

This thread theme took me by surprise. Big Game Bob is back. Now if we could avoid those unpleasant little surprises in the regular schedule........

VA Sooner
1/2/2013, 08:23 PM
Yep... let's give Landry a good send-off for graduation and make him the third QB to win 4 bowls.

rock on sooner
1/2/2013, 09:22 PM
I would have to research to be sure, but I believe in the 1950's a team couldn't even go to ANY bowl for 2 yrs in a row.

Correct-a -mundo...50's, 60's, into the 70's cause I remember
being ticked that Switzer got locked out a couple of times...

WA. Sooner
1/2/2013, 09:42 PM
Ponder not play in his last 2 bowels games?

Soonerjeepman
1/2/2013, 10:20 PM
Jones has shattered virtually every passing school record, led the Sooners to more wins than any other quarterback and has a chance to join West Virginia's Pat White as the only quarterbacks in FBS history to win four bowl starts.

He'll be the 2nd...

http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma/football/story/_/id/8801498/landry-jones-gets-finish-oklahoma-sooners-career-cowboys-stadium-where-started

OU_Sooners75
1/2/2013, 10:27 PM
That's what I was thinking Jeepman.

Ponder started his final bowl game before getting hurt. Or EJ would have been the second one.

But he did lead FSU to four bowl wins, just didn't start his first bowl game.

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 10:28 PM
Definitely LJ deserves some Accolades for winning four once we beat aTm. Matter of fact...I wouldn't be opposed to having a section in the Switzer Center that addresses his Accomplishments as our Starting QB. LJ has stayed healthy and put up Stats and accomplishments that I seriously doubt will be matched unless we have another 4 year starter that puts up huge numbers and a Heisman Trophy. Then I think he still is mentioned as one of our best.

Salt City Sooner
1/3/2013, 01:28 AM
Jones has shattered virtually every passing school record, led the Sooners to more wins than any other quarterback and has a chance to join West Virginia's Pat White as the only quarterbacks in FBS history to win four bowl starts.

He'll be the 2nd...

http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma/football/story/_/id/8801498/landry-jones-gets-finish-oklahoma-sooners-career-cowboys-stadium-where-started
Wish I'd said that......:D

Wishboned
1/3/2013, 09:08 AM
If we can muster some semblance of defense, we can subdue johnny hyman and gang, and the SEC SEC SEC can get their 3rd bowl loss this season.

Let's give them their 4th loss!

King Barry's Back
1/3/2013, 09:53 AM
Correct-a -mundo...50's, 60's, into the 70's cause I remember
being ticked that Switzer got locked out a couple of times...

You are off on that. Switzer's teams failed to appear in bowls in only 73 and 74 (due to NCAA probation), and in 83. In 83, the four loss Sooners would have been relegated to a lesser bowl and Switzer publicly announced that he would rather stay home than play in a bowl that was beneath us. Thus, we were offered no bid. Nowadays we are contractually bound to appear in whatever afterthought bowl comes calling, but coaches had more power and freedom in the old days.

Regarding the "no two bowls in a row" rule, that was a Big 6 - Big 7 rule, aka the "Oklahoma Rule." OU played in three consecutive Sugar Bowls at the end of the 49, 50 and 51 seasons, and our reception in New Orleans was less than welcoming on our third trip. OU President George Lynn Cross interpreted this as the Louisianans were tired of OU, and the Sooners were tired of New Orleans. As there were only about five bowls at the time, and it was likely that any repeating bowl team would be going often to the same place, he just thought it made better sense to have such a rule.

As the other conference schools had little chance of making a bowl unless OU excluded itself, they were eager to adopt this rule as well.

Not sure when it was dropped, but before the Switzer era.

HateTheWhorns
1/3/2013, 10:44 AM
Don't forget that Freshman couldn't even play varsity until 1972 so the earliest someone could have established this record would be following the 1975 season.

soonertodd
1/3/2013, 12:55 PM
Also in 83 our last game of the season was at Hawaii,and the players voted to not go to a bowl game.