PDA

View Full Version : So when will Miami's penalties be announced?

ouwasp
1/1/2013, 10:48 PM
Seems like this thing is taking forever.

salth2o
1/1/2013, 10:56 PM
Que?

ouwasp
1/2/2013, 01:04 AM
They've been under investigation for a couple yrs... they have "self-penalized" themselves two bowl trips...once in awhile something comes out about an announcement being pending...It was all way overshadowed by The Pervert of Penn State.

So I'm just wondering when the swift sword of NCAA justice will finally be administered.

Why do I care? Any Sooner fan that was alive and aware back in 1985-87 probably feels the same way I do about that POS program. Miami came to mind when i saw the OB on tv this evening.

badger
1/2/2013, 09:28 AM
Isn't it punishment enough that after reaching such lofty highs in the 80s/90s/2001 that they are sucking majorly now?

Midtowner
1/2/2013, 09:30 AM
It's so ridiculous to have these multi-year investigations which only serve to punish players who had nothing to do with anything. I'm all for leaving the NCAA.

jkjsooner
1/2/2013, 09:53 AM
Why do I care? Any Sooner fan that was alive and aware back in 1985-87 probably feels the same way I do about that POS program. Miami came to mind when i saw the OB on tv this evening.

I never thought I would say this but had Miami been playing Bama (or any other SEC team) this year for the title I'd root for Miami.

The same applies to Notre Dame although my dislike for them never approached my dislike for Miami. Since Beano Cook isn't alive there isn't as much of a reason to hate Notre Dame.

In a strange way I miss Miami being a dominant program. Don't get me wrong, I hated them as much as I can hate a program but college footballl has severely missed a dominant program outside of the SEC. When Miami (and FSU to a lesser extent) were dominant they got a lot of players who are now ending up in the SEC. Not only that but nobody ever questioned whether those programs could be an SEC team - which is way the '92 Bama win was such a big deal.

jkjsooner
1/2/2013, 09:59 AM
It's so ridiculous to have these multi-year investigations which only serve to punish players who had nothing to do with anything. I'm all for leaving the NCAA.

Then how would you control cheating?

If the NCAA could punish those who actually cheated sufficiently enough to be a deterrent they would. They can't exactly throw someone in jail or force the NFL to punish a guy.

rock on sooner
1/2/2013, 11:01 AM
I never thought I would say this but had Miami been playing Bama (or any other SEC team) this year for the title I'd root for Miami.

The same applies to Notre Dame although my dislike for them never approached my dislike for Miami. Since Beano Cook isn't alive there isn't as much of a reason to hate Notre Dame.

In a strange way I miss Miami being a dominant program. Don't get me wrong, I hated them as much as I can hate a program but college footballl has severely missed a dominant program outside of the SEC. When Miami (and FSU to a lesser extent) were dominant they got a lot of players who are now ending up in the SEC. Not only that but nobody ever questioned whether those programs could be an SEC team - which is way the '92 Bama win was such a big deal.

Sorry, as long as I live and remember Dick Lynch, blocking fullback
Nick Pietrosante and the sweep around right end there is ALWAYS
a reason to hate Notre Dame. I don't care that Bama has 9 NC's
(since 1936), they can have one more, so long as it's the Domers
they beat!

rock on sooner
1/2/2013, 11:01 AM

The Boz was/is correct!

Midtowner
1/2/2013, 11:04 AM
Then how would you control cheating?

Do you think the NCAA controls cheating?

rock on sooner
1/2/2013, 11:08 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This!^^^^^^^^^^

ouwasp
1/2/2013, 11:24 AM
Isn't it punishment enough that after reaching such lofty highs in the 80s/90s/2001 that they are sucking majorly now?

Nope. I want the gangstas dead and buried.

jkjsooner
1/2/2013, 11:30 AM

They try. Should they abandon all efforts and just let universities and boosters put players on payrolls despite it being against the rules?

I'm assuming you don't want that so please tell me your ideas to deter such rule violations.

Midtowner
1/2/2013, 11:35 AM
They try. Should they abandon all efforts and just let universities and boosters put players on payrolls despite it being against the rules?

I'm assuming you don't want that so please tell me your ideas to deter such rule violations.

Really, I think the players should be paid for their services. Especially at BCS schools.

That said, the NCAA could work with Congress on privacy rules so that it can conduct a proper investigation. It should also have at least some sort of an administrative system which pays attention to precedent. Maybe they adopt some sentencing guidelines instead of just inventing punishments from whole cloth?

KantoSooner
1/2/2013, 12:15 PM
In addition to any sanctions on the team/university, I think, especially for Miami, that every current player should lose their left nut. No anesthesia, just pruning shears and a quick snip/tear motion.

See? I could resolve their recruiting situation as well as punish for old offenses. All at once.

jkjsooner
1/2/2013, 12:17 PM
Really, I think the players should be paid for their services. Especially at BCS schools.

That said, the NCAA could work with Congress on privacy rules so that it can conduct a proper investigation. It should also have at least some sort of an administrative system which pays attention to precedent. Maybe they adopt some sentencing guidelines instead of just inventing punishments from whole cloth?

I agree with the guidelines.

As for payments, that opens a can of worms. There are Title IX implications. Most athletic departments can't afford it unless of course it results in a cutbacks on skyrocketing coach salaries (which would be a good thing).

But that still begs the question on whether you think it should be a free market or is there some predefined payment limit? If there is some type of limit you still have to monitor/punish those who would exceed this limit.

I just don't know what Congress could do to help the NCAA out. I don't like the idea of giving the NCAA subpoena power over those who are not directly in the organization (boosters, etc.) and I doubt there's any way that could be legal.

The fact is that in most cases those who break the rules are either not under NCAA jurisidiction (boosters) or are not caught in time for them to be directly punished. Even when they are, if the players was exceptional he can go on to the professional leagues with little direct impact on himself except on his reputation.

I would like to see the punishment be applied more to coaches and administrators rather than the programs. (This would have to include minor punishments for things that happen without their knowledge since someone has to be ultimately responsible.) It's absurd to see Sampson get our basketball program on probation and then be able to go to Indiana as if he did nothing wrong.

But that doesn't discourage the Pete Carrol's of the world who cheat just enough to get a lucrative NFL job.

PalmBeachSooner
1/2/2013, 04:16 PM

Oh Lord! If they got congress involved the investigations would take decades to complete.

8timechamps
1/2/2013, 04:33 PM
I heard on the radio recently that the NCAA penalties would be announced this month (January). I don't know if anything could (or should) top the PSU sanctions, but they're bound to be pretty big.

WA. Sooner
1/2/2013, 09:47 PM
Never root for Notre Dame. EVER!!!

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 10:27 PM
The NCAA does post rules and all the teams playing in the NCAA agree to the rules and the penalties they post and agree to. The thing I think they don't do very well is...

They aren't very expeditious in coming to a ruling and handing out penalties

They don't seem to be consistent

They don't seem to stay up to date on things that happen as far as rules that need to be added to the agreed rules and punishments.

Also...I think we are still pretty steamed about how they handled our penalties when compared to what suc did.....which IMO cost us a MNC in 2005.

OU_Sooners75
1/2/2013, 10:29 PM

But politically you want the hard working people to pay for the lazy *******s that want free hand outs....

Gotcha!

(Sorry for turning political)

OU_Sooners75
1/2/2013, 10:42 PM

They are paid, and paid pretty handsomely at that!

They get an education paid for that is on average nationally of $125K.
They get free room and board.
They ger free books and computers from bookstores on campus.
They get free clothes from the athletic department.
They get free footware from the athletic department.
They get free food.
They get free internet and cable.
They get free electric and water and garbage.
They get free A/C and heat.
They get free land line phone.

Not to stop there, they can also get fasa to help get them grants and/or loans to get extra spending money.

And they can work at an approved place for a certain amount of hours.

Seriously, what more do they need?

They don't have any bills except maybe fore a cell phone bill.

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 10:49 PM
They should get all the weed they want and unlimited keg beer, a HD/3D Theater with at least a 10 person capacity (Just so you can have friends hang out and a DVD Library they can checkout free DVDs but with one exception...no Rudy.

ouwasp
1/2/2013, 10:51 PM
prolly oughta throw some free tats at 'em as well...

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 10:57 PM
lol

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 10:58 PM
Also a week in Hawaii for two for every MNC.

OU_Sooners75
1/2/2013, 11:09 PM
Lol...the athletes are paid very well.

The argument that can even stand up is the ratio of money they bring in.

But where does paying the athletes stop? Only football? All sports?

You can't have one professional sport at college and tell the others to **** off.

Then take into the shear numbers of athletes. Schools would lose money!

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 11:14 PM
Also a Weekend for two to Branson for Band Members. :wink: