PDA

View Full Version : Are we for or against Northern Illinois?

SanJoaquinSooner
1/1/2013, 07:05 PM
What's the prevailing Sooner perspective?

MojoRisen
1/1/2013, 07:07 PM
Im pulling for them to upset... what the hell...

Scott D
1/1/2013, 07:07 PM
I hope they get Hawaiied

olevetonahill
1/1/2013, 07:09 PM
I want em to get curb stomped.

MyT Oklahoma
1/1/2013, 07:12 PM
I don't really care one way or the other.

I guess that's why I like Mack's attitude.... "It is what it is."

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 07:13 PM
I hope FSU hangs 50 on them every qtr.

Wishboned
1/1/2013, 07:46 PM
I hope it's a beat down of Biblical proportions.

Soonerfan88
1/1/2013, 07:56 PM
I want em to get curb stomped.

This. The 'powers that be' who make these decisions need to be reminded that these lesser programs, to include what's left of the Big Least, don't belong in these games.

Soonerwake
1/1/2013, 08:09 PM
What they all said...

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 08:16 PM
Unless this gets changed...no matter how badly FSU Beats them....things won't change....

Bowl Championship Series

The MAC champion will receive an automatic berth in one of the five BCS bowl games if they are the highest ranked non-automatic qualifying conference champion and either of the following:
Ranked in the top 12 of the BCS Rankings.
Ranked in the top 16 of the BCS Rankings and its ranking is higher than that of an automatic qualifying conference champion.

In 2012, Northern Illinois became the first MAC team to receive a BCS bowl berth, qualifying by the second criterion. The Huskies were ranked 15th in the final BCS standings, higher than two champions of AQ conferences (Big East champion Louisville, who's ranked 22nd, and Big Ten champion Wisconsin, who's unranked). Northern Illinois will play Florida State in the Orange Bowl.

ouwasp
1/1/2013, 08:20 PM
Want 'em to lose. Ever since the Boys St fiasco I've hated the Cinderella types.....if Tulsa somehow made it, I'd feel differently.

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 08:24 PM
Tulsa was more deserving for sure.

SoonerorLater
1/1/2013, 08:35 PM
I don't like underdogs.

bluedogok
1/1/2013, 08:38 PM
Unless this gets changed...no matter how badly FSU Beats them....things won't change....
Those teams getting spanked badly every time might cause some voters to not inflate a non-BCS teams ranking to create the issue.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/1/2013, 08:40 PM
How many million$ did we lose by not being in a BCS game?...I'm ready to scrap the BCS and start the playoff system.

Why is it that(again) the Cotton Bowl got de-selected as a major bowl, and the Fiesta got added? How again did the Big 12 get affiliated with the Fiesta instead of the Orange?

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 08:42 PM
Those teams getting spanked badly every time might cause some voters to not inflate a non-BCS teams ranking to create the issue.

I surely hope that's the case....however....if FSU doesn't do well....what effect will that have?

salth2o
1/1/2013, 08:43 PM
I hope Free Shoes U stomps a mud hole in their arses.

Jacie
1/1/2013, 08:44 PM
FSU stat, they are 1-5 in BCS bowls. To hand them a win like this does not feel right. If they can't earn a BCS win versus a big time football school opponent, I say screw em.

Go Huskies!

8timechamps
1/1/2013, 08:45 PM
How many million$ did we lose by not being in a BCS game?...I'm ready to scrap the BCS and start the playoff system.

Why is it that(again) the Cotton Bowl got de-selected as a major bowl, and the Fiesta got added? How again did the Big 12 get affiliated with the Fiesta instead of the Orange?

About 13 million...that's the difference in the Cotton versus a BCS game.

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 08:47 PM
FSU stat, they are 1-5 in BCS bowls. To hand them a win like this does not feel right. If they can't earn a BCS win versus a big time football school opponent, I say screw em.

Go Huskies!

That's true....but I just don't think it's gonna pan out for NIU

Scott D
1/1/2013, 08:53 PM
I bet Jared Zabranski the insurance salesman is cheering for FSU so that he doesn't become a complete nobody footnote on the toilet paper of history.

VA Sooner
1/1/2013, 08:59 PM
I hope it's a beat down...

We match up better against Florida in the Sugar...should have been ours.

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 09:03 PM
Nice FSU fumble to start this rout.

Scott D
1/1/2013, 09:05 PM
Nick O'Leary should quit football and learn golf from his grandfather.

TUSooner
1/1/2013, 09:06 PM
I'm for FSU because I have some friends that went there and are fans. I don't want them to feel like I did after we gave it away to Tater State.

TUSooner
1/1/2013, 09:07 PM
heh. I think FSU's unis just got a little tight around the neck hole

Jack T.
1/1/2013, 09:12 PM
Standford vs. Wisconsin. . .in SoCal.

Florida State vs. Northern Illinois in Miami.

One of the nice things about the BCS games is that they are on a neutral field

TUSooner
1/1/2013, 09:16 PM

One of the nice things about the BCS games is that they are on a neutral field
and us vs LSU in New Orleans

cleller
1/1/2013, 09:17 PM
I never even considered the possibility that they could win.

1/1/2013, 09:18 PM

One of the nice things about the BCS games is that they are on a neutral field used to be the Orange Bowl was a home game for the Big 8 Champion, back before BCS, and then the Big 12 champ got dumped onto the Fiesta Bowl.

olevetonahill
1/1/2013, 09:22 PM
Typical , This about like OU playing Norman high

The only thing NIU has is the trick plays. FSU get on guard against those and NIU aint got a chance.

Jack T.
1/1/2013, 09:27 PM
used to be the Orange Bowl was a home game for the Big 8 Champion, back before BCS, and then the Big 12 champ got dumped onto the Fiesta Bowl.

Well, except when we played Miami ;-)

TUSooner
1/1/2013, 09:29 PM
I don't even want this game to be interesting.

olevetonahill
1/1/2013, 09:39 PM

Well so far its living down to your expectations

salth2o
1/1/2013, 09:42 PM

Well so far its living down to your expectations

Touché. It is teh succ so far.

Soonerfan88
1/1/2013, 09:44 PM
I do have to give NIU defense props. They are good at open field tackles and wrapping up.

wishbonesooner
1/1/2013, 09:46 PM
If we had taken care of business against BSU, this wouldn't be happening.

cleller
1/1/2013, 09:47 PM
Not a terribly exciting game.

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 09:47 PM
I think someone said that if NIU beats FSU....the Boise loss in The Fiesta would hurt much less and that FSU would bear the snickering of all of College Football.

TUSooner
1/1/2013, 09:52 PM
I think someone said that if NIU beats FSU....the Boise loss in The Fiesta would hurt much less and that FSU would bear the snickering of all of College Football.
I don't buy that. The BSu game will always be a pain, but less as time passes.. Eventually it will be all but forgotten by most of CFB

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 09:54 PM
I think FSU is already close to my snickering.

Scott D
1/1/2013, 10:00 PM

with the short term need it now mentality, nobody would mention boise because unlike them, niu doesn't have any longer term success they can point at.

olevetonahill
1/1/2013, 10:10 PM
This game =
http://www.probloggertips.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/boring_class.jpg

8timechamps
1/1/2013, 10:20 PM

I don't buy that. The BSu game will always be a pain, but less as time passes.. Eventually it will be all but forgotten by most of CFB

I said that way back when the bowls were announced.

As a Sooner fan, that game will always have a certain level of pain associated with it, however, it wasn't as if Boise had just started playing football. They were new-ish to D1, but had won championships in D2. History also proved that Boise State wasn't a flash in the pan, and that they had staying power.

If FSU loses to NIU, they will take the top spot on the list-o-shame. Not only did FIU squeak into the game, beating absolutely nobody along the way, it's in FSU's backyard. The all time "uh-oh" still belongs to Michigan, for their loss to App State, but an FSU loss here would knock us down a notch on that list.

You are right TU, it will eventually be forgotten...but I'll be long dead by the time that happens. Everytime Boise plays in a meaningful game, you'll see the replay of the Statue of Liberty. Everytime there's a mention of the BCS (after it turns into the playoffs) you'll see that same video as they talk about the unpredictable games and excitement. Boise State's arrival to D1 and their arrival as a real football program are forever attached to that win in Glendale. When all of those things have settled down, it'll be forgotten. Hell, I'll just be happy if I can make it through a year without seeing that damn plan (I think I saw it twice this season). That would be a good start.

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks for clearing that up.

I couldn't remember who said it. Sorry if I outed you. I was just making a point as IMO FSU should be embarrassed in that 1st half.

jkjsooner
1/1/2013, 10:40 PM
This. The 'powers that be' who make these decisions need to be reminded that these lesser programs, to include what's left of the Big Least, don't belong in these games.

The powers that be didn't want NIU in the game. They just don't want an antitrust lawsuit.

sendbaht
1/1/2013, 10:45 PM
I think it will now get ugly in the 2nd 1/2...

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 10:46 PM
The powers that be didn't want NIU in the game. They just don't want an antitrust lawsuit.

Like I said earlier....they had a contract.

jkjsooner
1/1/2013, 10:51 PM
Like I said earlier....they had a contract.

Of course the rules have to be followed. What I was saying is that the rules exist because of lawsuit threats several years ago. The BCS conferences gave a bit to avoid antitrust lawsuits from the mid-majors.

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 10:53 PM
Seems like they have changed their rules every year since we played LSU to avoid getting sued.

jkjsooner
1/1/2013, 10:57 PM
Also that isn't just an agreement with the MAC.

3. The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either:

**A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or,
**B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

No more than one such team from Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, and the Western Athletic Conference shall earn an automatic berth in any year. (Note: a second team may be eligible for at-large eligibility as noted below.) If two or more teams from those conferences satisfy the provisions for an automatic berth, then the team with the highest finish in the final BCS Standings will receive the automatic berth, and the remaining team or teams will be considered for at-large selection if it meets the criteria.

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 11:01 PM
Yup. It's nearly blinding. I used to read all of that at the beginning of every year. I got woozy just looking at your quote.....

1/1/2013, 11:20 PM
YOU GO , NIU Fighting Lynchpins!!!-----YOU GO!!!

1/1/2013, 11:25 PM
Those Crims fans are scared shi*less of losing to a 2nd tier team like NIU. It would
be loverly to see them do JUST THAT, though. Too bad they aren't in the SEC SEC SEC...

olevetonahill
1/1/2013, 11:32 PM
Those Crims fans are scared shi*less of losing to a 2nd tier team like NIU. It would
be loverly to see them do JUST THAT, though. Too bad they aren't in the SEC SEC SEC...

Only reason I dont want NIU to win is I want these ****in announcers shut up about all the BCS bustin and David/Goliath carp

TUSooner
1/1/2013, 11:46 PM
Only reason I dont want NIU to win is I want these ****in announcers shut up about all the BCS bustin and David/Goliath carp
amen.

olevetonahill
1/1/2013, 11:54 PM
amen.

They are stayin in this game with the trick plays , High risk plays that work. and a few calls going their way. Plus FSU steppin on their own dicks aint helpin either.

olevetonahill
1/1/2013, 11:59 PM
Now that just finished the Little boys off

nutinbutdust
1/2/2013, 01:09 AM

LOL LINK (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/bruce-feldman/21483316/orange-bowl-rep-to-niu-we-didnt-even-want-you-here)
Orange Bowl rep to NIU: We didn't even want you here
By Bruce Feldman | Senior College Football Columnist
January 1, 2013 3:41 pm ET

As if Northern Illinois didn't need any added motivation for its match-up against Florida State on Tuesday night in Miami, the Huskies got a little more. And it comes from an unlikely place: a rant from an Orange Bowl representative to an NIU staffer.

“You guys [NIU] don't even deserve to be here,” the Orange Bowl rep said to the NIU staffer. “We didn't even want you here.”

According to a source, the exchange took place the other night in a hospitality suite. The Orange Bowl rep had compared NIU to Duke, the source said, and the NIU rep responded by pointing out that the Huskies, who are riding a 12-game winning streak, have been to bowl games in five consecutive seasons. The conversation escalated from there, the source said.

The 12-1 Huskies' presence in the Orange Bowl has been a sore subject for many from the moment when the BCS Bowl pairings were announced in early December. ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit even called it “a joke” that the Huskies were invited to play in the Orange Bowl. One NIU player responded by heaving an orange at the TV after hearing Herbstreit's comments.

Florida State, which earlier this season did lose to an unranked NC State team, is a 14-point favorite.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2013, 01:12 AM
The biggest losers in this year's BCS selection was the BCS bowls themselves. We missed out on a few $$ that we would have to split anyway, but the Orange bowl got a bad game. I expect the Sugar Bowl to be even worse. The Cotton bowl was a big winner in all this.

ouwasp
1/2/2013, 01:25 AM
hmmm....what if there were a provision in the BCS formula that states: An invitation to a BCS bowl for a team from one of the Peon Leagues will only be considered if said peon team avgs 40,000 in home attendance. Or would that be a further snub to the have-nots?

There were multiple thousands of empty seats in the OB tonight.

1/2/2013, 02:15 AM
The biggest losers in this year's BCS selection was the BCS bowls themselves. We missed out on a few $$ that we would have to split anyway, but the Orange bowl got a bad game. I expect the Sugar Bowl to be even worse. The Cotton bowl was a big winner in all this.our getting stuffed by the BCS only cost us $13 million. Of course, we would have had to share it with the Big 12 members, but Louisville gets that Sugar Bowl payout instead of OU.

1/2/2013, 02:21 AM
Only reason I dont want NIU to win is I want these ****in announcers shut up about all the BCS bustin and David/Goliath carpI get that. I just don't have any appreciation for the Crims. I know we pwn them, but I'm pretty solidly NOT in their camp.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/2/2013, 10:29 AM
Did anybody watch the 2nd half of that game? That was terrible football. FSU's offense stinks.

OkieThunderLion
1/2/2013, 10:34 AM
Did anybody watch the 2nd half of that game? That was terrible football. FSU's offense stinks.

they try to throw it too much. wilder seems like a wasted talent.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2013, 10:37 AM
our getting stuffed by the BCS only cost us $13 million. Of course, we would have had to share it with the Big 12 members, but Louisville gets that Sugar Bowl payout instead of OU.

That's what I said, wasn't it? So we don't help the horns add to their giant mountain of cash...

badger
1/2/2013, 10:48 AM
Meh, Big East loses their bid next year. Thus, the AQ stipulation of this year wouldn't apply next year. The system is self-correcting.

Breadburner
1/2/2013, 10:54 AM
I hope they get Hawaiied

Heh......That was awesome.....!!

Sinyeah12
1/2/2013, 03:23 PM
our getting stuffed by the BCS only cost us $13 million. Of course, we would have had to share it with the Big 12 members, but Louisville gets that Sugar Bowl payout instead of OU.

We only lost 4.5-5 million. If a confrence sends two teams to BCS games, only one team earns the mega payout, not both.

1/2/2013, 03:38 PM
That's what I said, wasn't it?...I will presume that's not an indictment of my clarification and amplification of what you said.

1/2/2013, 03:39 PM
We only lost 4.5-5 million. If a confrence sends two teams to BCS games, only one team earns the mega payout, not both.If correct, or at least the point is correct, I stand corrected.(while eating a cookie)

1/2/2013, 03:41 PM
Meh, Big East loses their bid next year. Thus, the AQ stipulation of this year wouldn't apply next year. The system is self-correcting.We'll find other stuff to bitc* about.