PDA

View Full Version : My annual New Year's Day rant...

8timechamps
1/1/2013, 04:58 PM
Remember when Bowl games were a special accomplishment? Back when a trip to the Bluebonnet bowl was still considered a achievement. Back when there was a Bluebonnet Bowl. Hell, now they don't even bother to give the bowl a meaningful name, it's just named after whatever corporate big cigar pays the bills. At one time, the phrase "Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl" would have me looking around for a scrumptious meal.

I remember looking forward to New Year's day so much because of the bowl games. I always put the little TV on top of the big TV, so I could watch two games at once (picture in picture was around, but we didn't have that kind of cash...so, this was the next best thing). Now, New Year's day is like any other day in college football. It's still great, because it's football...but it no longer offers that special feeling of sitting on the couch, eating junk food, watching the best teams in the country play in meaningful bowl games. Plus, there were a lot of times I got to end the day watching OU in the Orange Bowl. Back then, the Big 8 was synonyms with the Orange Bowl.

I look forward to the Cotton bowl (only because it's more Sooner football), and I have to admit that I kinda like the week long BCS bonanza of games. But, I so miss the time that every bowl game mattered, and meant something.

Pretty soon, bowls will mean even less. Once the playoffs arrive (and are expanded soon after), only the big bowl games will garner much attention, and even those won't be the same.

Oh yeah, GET OFF MY LAWN!

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 04:59 PM
Turn on the sprinkler!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/03NiniDbpw8/0.jpg

Aries
1/1/2013, 05:04 PM
You sound like a grumpy old person except for this...

(picture in picture was around, but we didn't have that kind of cash...so, this was the next best thing).

Shoot, I remember when PICTURE was barely around. :)

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 05:06 PM
Turn on the sprinkler?

NSFW

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/eb/eb0303cd6b83bc5fa35a56cc7d1d4313/this_is_hope_solo_naked_and_watering_the_lawn_in_e spn_the_nudie_magazine.jpg

ouwasp
1/1/2013, 05:07 PM
even my wife and daughter (they know nothing football-wise) were mystified that a team like Purdue could qualify for a bowl.

I don't care for ESPN's virtual monopoly on bowls... how is that that good for college football?

There should be a requirement that the host city's name be listed after the bowl title in parentheses or something... we just have a plethora of faceless bowls!

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 05:14 PM
Heart of Dallas Bowl?

Seriously?

This shows just how some folks in Dallas just can't allow the old Cotton Bowl to be played in the Old Cotton Bowl.

If Jerry had wanted to have the Heart of Dallas Bowl....they should have let him have it. The Cotton Bowl isn't the Cotton Bowl unless it's played in the old Cotton Bowl. Even if they wanted to tear down the old Cotton Bowl and build a Dome there...they should have.

8timechamps
1/1/2013, 05:29 PM
even my wife and daughter (they know nothing football-wise) were mystified that a team like Purdue could qualify for a bowl.

I don't care for ESPN's virtual monopoly on bowls... how is that that good for college football?

There should be a requirement that the host city's name be listed after the bowl title in parentheses or something... we just have a plethora of faceless bowls!

If I'm not mistaken, the only bowl game on FOX is the Cotton Bowl. Also, I think CBS had a game. Otherwise, it's all been (will be) ESPN/ABC. It's all driven by money (no surprise to anyone, I know).

At least a team like Georgia Tech took advantage of their opportunity. Purdue pretty much rolled over.

It's so bad now, that you could make up a bowl game and I wouldn't know the difference.

8timechamps
1/1/2013, 05:32 PM
Heart of Dallas Bowl?

Seriously?

This shows just how some folks in Dallas just can't allow the old Cotton Bowl to be played in the Old Cotton Bowl.

If Jerry had wanted to have the Heart of Dallas Bowl....they should have let him have it. The Cotton Bowl isn't the Cotton Bowl unless it's played in the old Cotton Bowl. Even if they wanted to tear down the old Cotton Bowl and build a Dome there...they should have.

The one good thing about playing in the Cotton Bowl is that it's Jerry Jones best effort (in collge football) to remain in front of eyeballs. It's basically a BCS game that's not in the actual BCS. Everything except the payout is replicated from the BCS. Not a bad game to play in, if you don't make the BCS.

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 05:36 PM
The one good thing about playing in the Cotton Bowl is that it's Jerry Jones best effort (in collge football) to remain in front of eyeballs. It's basically a BCS game that's not in the actual BCS. Everything except the payout is replicated from the BCS. Not a bad game to play in, if you don't make the BCS.

I agree with that. I think it's hysterical how a guy from Arkansas can take over the Cowboys and the Cotton Bowl.

rock on sooner
1/1/2013, 05:49 PM
You sound like a grumpy old person except for this...

Shoot, I remember when PICTURE was barely around. :)

Heck, I remember when the picture was round!

OUmillenium
1/1/2013, 05:53 PM
I remember having sooooo much fun watching bowl games, even just 10-12 years ago. This is the worst year ever for bowl games. I will prob watch OU and that is it.

olevetonahill
1/1/2013, 05:58 PM
Heck, I remember when the picture was round!

I remember having to stand behind the TeeVee and hold the Rabbit ears so the Older kids could watch the TeeVee.

bixby28
1/1/2013, 06:04 PM
A large majority of the bowls aren't worth watching. The postseason is watered down with these games now, but it'll never be perfect.

Judge Smails
1/1/2013, 06:06 PM
Today's bowl games are like participation trophys for little kids. Everybody get's one.

rock on sooner
1/1/2013, 06:09 PM
I remember having to stand behind the TeeVee and hold the Rabbit ears so the Older kids could watch the TeeVee.

That's whatcha git fer bein a young pup!:highly_amused:

ouwasp
1/1/2013, 06:15 PM
heh... well, there's always been televisions around for me, but I do remember they were all B/W at first... in fact, I remember my grandpa complaining that the new color TVs just "didn't look natural"

Petro-Sooner
1/1/2013, 06:24 PM
Remember when Bowl games were a special accomplishment? Back when a trip to the Bluebonnet bowl was still considered a achievement. Back when there was a Bluebonnet Bowl. Hell, now they don't even bother to give the bowl a meaningful name, it's just named after whatever corporate big cigar pays the bills. At one time, the phrase "Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl" would have me looking around for a scrumptious meal.

I remember looking forward to New Year's day so much because of the bowl games. I always put the little TV on top of the big TV, so I could watch two games at once (picture in picture was around, but we didn't have that kind of cash...so, this was the next best thing). Now, New Year's day is like any other day in college football. It's still great, because it's football...but it no longer offers that special feeling of sitting on the couch, eating junk food, watching the best teams in the country play in meaningful bowl games. Plus, there were a lot of times I got to end the day watching OU in the Orange Bowl. Back then, the Big 8 was synonyms with the Orange Bowl.

I look forward to the Cotton bowl (only because it's more Sooner football), and I have to admit that I kinda like the week long BCS bonanza of games. But, I so miss the time that every bowl game mattered, and meant something.

Pretty soon, bowls will mean even less. Once the playoffs arrive (and are expanded soon after), only the big bowl games will garner much attention, and even those won't be the same.

Preach it. The good ol days are gone

cleller
1/1/2013, 06:30 PM
"Heart of Dallas" is a ridiculous name. Can't image what squishy ad man came up with that. They're not trying to appeal to female shoppers.

"Big D" bowl would even sound better. "Big Tex" Bowl?

bluedogok
1/1/2013, 06:36 PM
Heart of Dallas Bowl?

Seriously?

Jerrywold should have replaced the Cotton Bowl but the Dallas mayor at the time (Laura Miller) didn't think football was important enough. After losing the Cowboys (again) they threw money at the stadium to keep OU-Texas, they need some events other than that and the Prairie View A&M game during the fair to pay for it.

The Heart of Dallas Bowl was the Ticketcity.com Bowl, I guess they couldn't find someone with enough sponsor money to change the name. PlainsCapital Bank must not have wanted to pay that much.

If I'm not mistaken, the only bowl game on FOX is the Cotton Bowl. Also, I think CBS had a game. Otherwise, it's all been (will be) ESPN/ABC. It's all driven by money (no surprise to anyone, I know).

At least a team like Georgia Tech took advantage of their opportunity. Purdue pretty much rolled over.

It's so bad now, that you could make up a bowl game and I wouldn't know the difference.
There are bowl games on TV, here is the broadcast breakdown.
CBS - 1 (Sun Bowl)
Fox - 1 (Cotton Bowl)
ESPN - 33

The thing is they have moved most of them onto the ESPN networks, there was only one on ABC, the Capitol One (Citrus) Bowl. I realize that ESPN has incredible market penetration but how is having all the BCS bowls on cable/satellite better for the BCS than having them on over-the-air television.

I also miss having multiple games on opposite of each other instead of one after another, especially since I have a multiple television setup to watch sports.

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 06:41 PM
Jerrywold should have replaced the Cotton Bowl but the Dallas mayor at the time (Laura Miller) didn't think football was important enough. After losing the Cowboys (again) they threw money at the stadium to keep OU-Texas, they need some events other than that and the Prairie View A&M game during the fair to pay for it.

I was thinking the fine folks of Dallas didn't want to ante up to the bucks that Arlington was offering. Matter of fact...did they have a vote over it or was it Arlington that voted to outbid everyone?

bluedogok
1/1/2013, 06:53 PM
I was thinking the fine folks of Dallas didn't want to ante up to the bucks that Arlington was offering. Matter of fact...did they have a vote over it or was it Arlington that voted to outbid everyone?
It never got to a vote, it never made it through the Dallas city council. Jerry tried to do a deal with them first and then they tried stalling him and then Arlington came calling. One of the things that was a problem for Dallas was the mountain of bond debt on the American Airlines Center that went way over budget because of environmental issues at the site. It was the big anchor dragging them down. I think Arlington even gave less than what the City of Dallas was going to ($350 million in long term bond money) so Jerry was on the hook for more money going to Arlington but then he didn't have the headache of dealing with the Fifteen Mayors of Dallas (1 weak mayor, 14 city councilors) all wanting something in their own district in exchange for the new stadium.

Wishboned
1/1/2013, 06:55 PM
I remember the year Tulsa went 10-1 and didn't make it to a bowl.

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 07:04 PM
It never got to a vote, it never made it through the Dallas city council. Jerry tried to do a deal with them first and then they tried stalling him and then Arlington came calling. One of the things that was a problem for Dallas was the mountain of bond debt on the American Airlines Center that went way over budget because of environmental issues at the site. It was the big anchor dragging them down. I think Arlington even gave less than what the City of Dallas was going to ($350 million in long term bond money) so Jerry was on the hook for more money going to Arlington but then he didn't have the headache of dealing with the Fifteen Mayors of Dallas (1 weak mayor, 14 city councilors) all wanting something in their own district in exchange for the new stadium.

Thanks for that. It's been awhile since that all happened. I couldn't remember just how that all went down. I knew it was pretty messed up and that JJ really pissed off everyone in Dallas.

MyT Oklahoma
1/1/2013, 07:11 PM
Look on the birght side fols. At least we aren't SUC or a Big 10 team in their bowl games. The Big 12 is 4 and 3 so far and BCS or not we still get to watch our Sooners in 3 more days. Life is good.

Soonerjeepman
1/1/2013, 07:17 PM
CBS - 1 (Sun Bowl)
Fox - 1 (Cotton Bowl)
ESPN - 33

The thing is they have moved most of them onto the ESPN networks, there was only one on ABC, the Capitol One (Citrus) Bowl. I realize that ESPN has incredible market penetration but how is having all the BCS bowls on cable/satellite better for the BCS than having them on over-the-air television.

I don't have cable...seen 1 or 2 online. Honestly don't miss it too much. SOOOO glad OU is on REGULAR TV!!!

bluedogok
1/1/2013, 07:22 PM
I don't have cable...seen 1 or 2 online. Honestly don't miss it too much. SOOOO glad OU is on REGULAR TV!!!
I have had Directv since 1998, couldn't live without it since sports is what we watch the majority of the time. My wife insisted that we get NFL Sunday Ticket back when we got our first big screen HDTV. I also have MLB Extra Innings and I had NHL Center Ice until we moved to Denver (I got it for Avs games back when I lived in OKC), so I dropped it then the league dropped the season. Going to have to find something after football season since Basketball just doesn't do it for us.

Having a wife who is a sports junkie is a nice thing at times. She wanted me to try and get Broncos playoff tickets yesterday and she is a Cowboys fan, I tried, the leftovers from the season ticket holders lasted a whole 9 minutes.

8timechamps
1/1/2013, 07:37 PM
I have had Directv since 1998, couldn't live without it since sports is what we watch the majority of the time. My wife insisted that we get NFL Sunday Ticket back when we got our first big screen HDTV. I also have MLB Extra Innings and I had NHL Center Ice until we moved to Denver (I got it for Avs games back when I lived in OKC), so I dropped it then the league dropped the season. Going to have to find something after football season since Basketball just doesn't do it for us.

Having a wife who is a sports junkie is a nice thing at times. She wanted me to try and get Broncos playoff tickets yesterday and she is a Cowboys fan, I tried, the leftovers from the season ticket holders lasted a whole 9 minutes.

Not to derail the topic, but I traded my Bronco tickets for the last two home games for two extra seats for the first playoff game. The only way I was able to do that was because the person I traded with "may not" be able to make the game. It's been a long time since I've had trouble making trades like that.

If I hear of any extras, I'll let you know (although I don't suspect much).

cherokeebrewer
1/2/2013, 07:44 AM
Hey now, I actually went to that OU vs Bama Bluebonnet Bowl...Bobby Warmack QB.

nutinbutdust
1/2/2013, 11:38 AM
CBS - 1 (Sun Bowl)
Fox - 1 (Cotton Bowl)
ESPN - 32
ESPNU-1

Fixed it for ya, LMAO in the Minneapolis area you had to have digital cable or satelite tv to even see the Sheephumpers. Heart of Dallas bowel. what a joke.

SoonerNomad
1/2/2013, 11:43 AM
Several of the bowls have been extremely fun to watch. LSU/Clemson was an outstanding game. Yesterday Stanford and Wisconsin played some tough, fun to watch, football and I thought Michigan was going to hold on against South Carolina. I also enjoyed the Nebraska v. Georgia game until the Dawgs broke it open in the fourth quarter.

While there is no doubt there are too many bowls, it is always fun to watch college football. I thought Oklahoma State would route the boring Purdue team and they did. I watched a little early in the hope that it wouldn't happen and stopped once it was clear what was going to take place. I like the proliferation of bowl games. Doesn't ruin anything for me except for the ""special" part of New Year's Day twenty years ago or so when I too would put three TV's in the living room and watch every game possible.

Also, I don't care what network the games are on. Completely irrelevant to me. If ESPN is making money by making more college football available to me then good for them and good for me. When there is a game I have no interest in (USC v. Georgia Tech comes to mind), I don't watch, but generally I try to watch early to see if it is going to be a good game and stick with it when it is and move on when it's not.

texaspokieokie
1/2/2013, 12:23 PM
If there's too many bowl games, just don't watchem.

"Heart of Dallas" is the charity connected to the bowl game.

badger
1/2/2013, 12:33 PM
1- NCAA controls football postseason bowls, much like it controls the basketball postseason
2- "Non-profit" bowl committees do not get all of the ticket money, nor do they force the participating schools to buy a ticket allotment
3- Schools have a chance of actually not being severely in the red from postseason participation.
4- PROFIT!

8timechamps
1/2/2013, 02:05 PM
In most cases, the school loses money by sending it's team to a bowl game. The majority of the revenue from the bowl games goes back to the bowl organizing committee...it's all pretty shady.

There are a handful of bowls that a school can make money with (the BCS, Capital One, Outback, Cotton, and a few others), but the majority are money losers to the schools participating.

badger
1/2/2013, 02:13 PM
Like Huffington Post, bowls offer participants not money, but exposure :D
http://guildfreelancers.org/gf/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Doonesbury.gif

SCAM!!!!!

winout
1/2/2013, 03:32 PM
Fox is starting to buy up Tv and radio stations. I think they are going to take on the ESPN-ABC cabal. That will be good for us consumers. Hopefully, CBS will step up to the plate as well and expand their participation in the CFB.

badger
1/2/2013, 03:45 PM
Fox is starting to buy up Tv and radio stations. I think they are going to take on the ESPN-ABC cabal. That will be good for us consumers. Hopefully, CBS will step up to the plate as well and expand their participation in the CFB.

Even better:
1- ESPN/ABC and Fox expand their reach to the point that CBS cannot catch up.
2- SEC stuck on sh!t-tier CBS, similar to Bevo being stuck with the Longhorn Network that nobody can see (except ATT Uversers like me, gag)
3- SEC sinks to mediocrity in football, since they aren't on prominent TV anymore.
4- :D

PalmBeachSooner
1/2/2013, 04:03 PM

Yeah, but have you kissed a rabbit between the ears?

sOUnder
1/2/2013, 06:29 PM

Back when the four biggies were the Orange, the Cotton, the Rose, and the Sugar, you had the potential of anyone of those bowl winners coming out on top.

If the #1 team lost to #4, and #2 looked bad winning against #6, #3 could beat down #5, and come away with the #1 ranking when it was all said and done. We've sacrificed that sense of unpredictability, which was what made New Year's day so exciting.

bluedogok
1/2/2013, 11:39 PM
Fixed it for ya, LMAO in the Minneapolis area you had to have digital cable or satelite tv to even see the Sheephumpers. Heart of Dallas bowel. what a joke.
There were some on ESPN2 as well, I just lumped all of the ESPN games together.

I gave up on cable and went to Directv when I lived in The Village, the cable would go out when the wind blew.....