PDA

View Full Version : Blackeyed Peas

StoopTroup
12/31/2012, 11:42 PM
They are ready to go. Just took a small bowl of them on a test drive. These babies are gonna rock my face off.

sanantoniosooner
1/1/2013, 12:11 AM
Pass

ouwasp
1/1/2013, 01:35 AM
Hey, slosh enough hot sauce on 'em they don't taste so bad. I'll eat my annual bowl Tuesday evening. Legend sez that for every pea a person eats, he has a day of good luck in the new year.

So I figure it can't hurt to eat a bowl.

Turd_Ferguson
1/1/2013, 01:40 AM
I'd rather just eat Fergie...

SanJoaquinSooner
1/1/2013, 01:48 AM
Fergie or Jenny?

Turd_Ferguson
1/1/2013, 01:53 AM
Both

SoonerInFortSmith
1/1/2013, 02:12 AM
They are kinda catchy.

yermom
1/1/2013, 02:37 AM
I'd rather just eat Fergie...

gross

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/7/10/2b46678c-d34b-46b3-add9-0627fb9bdfb7.jpg

1/1/2013, 03:44 AM
Am I the only one who LIKES them? It almost seems like a dare to actually have a bowl of this "soul food."

SanJoaquinSooner
1/1/2013, 03:54 AM
Am I the only one who LIKES them? It almost seems like a dare to actually have a bowl of this "soul food."

They had a couple of good tunes.

But seriously, they're ok with pork chops - but I wouldn't go out of my way to grow them.

yermom
1/1/2013, 05:17 AM
i never liked them. always thought they tasted like someone ashed their cigarette into them to me

Chuck Bao
1/1/2013, 05:24 AM
What are you guys talking about. Black-eyed peas, fried okra, fresh garden tomatoes and a slice of cornbread would be my favorite meal.

Because of New Year's tradition, tomorrow we're fixing black-eyed peas, boiled cabbage and salt-pork bacon.

Petro-Sooner
1/1/2013, 09:39 AM
I would have a serving if offered.

1/1/2013, 09:41 AM
You can keep the boiled cabbage. I'll have a taste of them peas, though, please.

olevetonahill
1/1/2013, 10:31 AM
What are you guys talking about. Black-eyed peas, fried okra, fresh garden tomatoes and a slice of cornbread would be my favorite meal.

Because of New Year's tradition, tomorrow we're fixing black-eyed peas, boiled cabbage and salt-pork bacon.

Pretty much gonna be my supper today bro

FirstandGoal
1/1/2013, 11:09 AM
Blech! Can't stand those things and I refuse to ever eat them again because its "tradition."

Turd_Ferguson
1/1/2013, 11:27 AM
Blech! Can't stand those things and I refuse to ever eat them again because its "tradition."

You are now dead to me...

Flagstaffsooner
1/1/2013, 11:28 AM
I can smell you peoples farts from here.

rock on sooner
1/1/2013, 11:31 AM
Here's a recipe that will change all the "blechs" to "Yum":

2 cans (15 oz) black eyed peas
2 ribs finely chopped celery
1/2 c chopped red pepper
1/2 c chopped red onion
2 T or so of red wine vinegar
1/4 c or so virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 t of sea salt
1/2 a bunch of parsley...chopped (avoid using the stems)

Rinse and drain the peas and put in medium size bowl. Add all
the chopped ingredients and mix well. Add pepper and salt
then the liquids and mix again. Refrigerate 4-6 hours or overnight.
Enjoy.

Some variations...3-4 cloves of garlic (pressed) or 2-3 if minced...
sprinkle with hot sauce...crushed red pepper can be used...
Don't do all the variations at once...garlic and hot sauce is good
or red pepper, or just the garlic (pressed is better than minced).

The pea salad is a great side to pork dishes or hot wings...imo.

olevetonahill
1/1/2013, 11:35 AM

So I can have yer share? Yea Me.

olevetonahill
1/1/2013, 11:36 AM
I can smell you peoples farts from here.

Way i understand it is a Skunk cant smell another skunk.:welcoming:

Tulsa_Fireman
1/1/2013, 11:57 AM
Here's a recipe that will change all the "blechs" to "Yum":

2 cans (15 oz) black eyed peas
2 ribs finely chopped celery
1/2 c chopped red pepper
1/2 c chopped red onion
2 T or so of red wine vinegar
1/4 c or so virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 t of sea salt
1/2 a bunch of parsley...chopped (avoid using the stems)

Rinse and drain the peas and put in medium size bowl. Add all
the chopped ingredients and mix well. Add pepper and salt
then the liquids and mix again. Refrigerate 4-6 hours or overnight.
Enjoy.

Some variations...3-4 cloves of garlic (pressed) or 2-3 if minced...
sprinkle with hot sauce...crushed red pepper can be used...
Don't do all the variations at once...garlic and hot sauce is good
or red pepper, or just the garlic (pressed is better than minced).

The pea salad is a great side to pork dishes or hot wings...imo.

Uhh, no. There's as much "yum" in that as there is in a butthole.

olevetonahill
1/1/2013, 12:02 PM
Uhh, no. There's as much "yum" in that as there is in a butthole.

Sounds like sompun a Dayum Yankee would do.

BajaOklahoma
1/1/2013, 12:51 PM
We all take a spoonful of blackeyed peas today, per tradition. None of us like it, but we wash it down with the beverage of our choice. Tolerable at best.

sooneron
1/1/2013, 12:56 PM
My favorite way to have'em-

http://www.chow.com/recipes/21687-texas-caviar

rock on sooner
1/1/2013, 01:13 PM
My favorite way to have'em-

http://www.chow.com/recipes/21687-texas-caviar

Sounds really good...it'll give me something else to use my pickled
jalapenos in....

lexsooner
1/1/2013, 01:22 PM
They are ready to go. Just took a small bowl of them on a test drive. These babies are gonna rock my face off.

Have you ever tried to make Hoppin John, a Southern dish with blackeyed peas, rice, onions, and bacon (or sausage)? A friend of mine has a neighbor who made it and it was oh so good with French champagne.

BajaOklahoma
1/1/2013, 02:04 PM
I think I will make some salsa, put a couple of blackeyed peas on a chip and smother with the salsa.

65Mustang
1/1/2013, 02:54 PM
Some of us from southern roots probably owe our existence to the lowly Blackeyed Pea.

During the Civil War, it was considered nothing but animal fodder, so it was not destroyed by armies as they passed thru like other human food crops were. As a result, they were the only sustenance available to many southern families. Consuming them on Jan 1st symbolized making it through the year alive.

C&CDean
1/1/2013, 04:44 PM
Legumes are good people. Sheesh. Eat your ****ing BEP.

olevetonahill
1/1/2013, 04:46 PM
Legumes are good people. Sheesh. Eat your ****ing BEP.

Had some fer supper last night gonna have More tonight. I like em

Tulsa_Fireman
1/1/2013, 04:49 PM
Boiled down, broken up, big ol' hunk of fake butter and some bacon scraps...

It's like an orgasm in my mouth.

C&CDean
1/1/2013, 04:51 PM
Had some fer supper last night gonna have More tonight. I like em

I like em' too. But then again, the only two things I won't eat (well actually I have, and I would if I was eating at someone's house and they served it) are guts and really fishy fish. I was raised on guts and simply choose not to eat them anymore. You can keep your liver/kidneys/heart/brain/etc. I was also raised on catfish we caught outta the Salt River in Arizona. It tasted like a fishes butthole. There simply is not a veggie/fruit/meat I won't eat, and I really do enjoy them all.

I feel sorry for picky eaters. Man y'all miss a lot of what life has to offer with your snobbery.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/1/2013, 05:05 PM
Brains and eggs are awesome.

C&CDean
1/1/2013, 05:07 PM
Brains and eggs are awesome.

Ate them many, many times. They are good. I just choose not to eat them anymore. Why? Cause I don't hafta. I used to hafta.

olevetonahill
1/1/2013, 05:08 PM
I like em' too. But then again, the only two things I won't eat (well actually I have, and I would if I was eating at someone's house and they served it) are guts and really fishy fish. I was raised on guts and simply choose not to eat them anymore. You can keep your liver/kidneys/heart/brain/etc. I was also raised on catfish we caught outta the Salt River in Arizona. It tasted like a fishes butthole. There simply is not a veggie/fruit/meat I won't eat, and I really do enjoy them all.

I feel sorry for picky eaters. Man y'all miss a lot of what life has to offer with your snobbery.

Agreed, aint Nothin i WONT eat, there are a few things I wont eat if I dont have to.

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 05:43 PM
gross

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/7/10/2b46678c-d34b-46b3-add9-0627fb9bdfb7.jpg

Indeed...lol

rock on sooner
1/1/2013, 05:52 PM
Indeed...lol

That pic looks unappetizing, but she dint last night!!!

rock on sooner
1/1/2013, 05:59 PM
Agreed, aint Nothin i WONT eat, there are a few things I wont eat if I dont have to.

I have experimented with a lot of things over the years, some things
only ifn they dint tell me what they were until after. Only time I ever
said no a second time was when I was in Scotland and somebody wanted
me to eat Haggis.

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 06:23 PM
Will I'm Out!

C&CDean
1/1/2013, 06:30 PM
I have experimented with a lot of things over the years, some things
only ifn they dint tell me what they were until after. Only time I ever
said no a second time was when I was in Scotland and somebody wanted
me to eat Haggis.

If Hagrid likes it then so do I. Never had haggis. I'd try it though.

olevetonahill
1/1/2013, 06:33 PM

I might IF i was ever around some who cooked it, But I dont ever see ME doing it

Ingredients

1 sheep stomach
1 sheep liver
1 sheep heart
1 sheep tongue
1/2 pound suet, minced
3 medium onions, minced
1/2 pound dry oats, toasted
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried ground herbs

Directions

Rinse the stomach thoroughly and soak overnight in cold salted water.

Rinse the liver, heart, and tongue. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook these parts over medium heat for 2 hours. Remove and mince. Remove any gristle or skin and discard.

In a large bowl, combine the minced liver, heart, tongue, suet, onions, and toasted oats. Season with salt, pepper, and dried herbs. Moisten with some of the cooking water so the mixture binds. Remove the stomach from the cold salted water and fill 2/3 with the mixture. Sew or tie the stomach closed. Use a turning fork to pierce the stomach several times. This will prevent the haggis from bursting.

In a large pot of boiling water, gently place the filled stomach, being careful not to splash. Cook over high heat for 3 hours.

Serve with mashed potatoes, if you serve it at all.

rock on sooner
1/1/2013, 06:38 PM

Sheep's stomach to hold it, various veggies (spuds, beets, onions..)
and some parts of the sheep that I aint sure whatever is left over)..

C&CDean
1/1/2013, 06:50 PM
Hell, I like menudo, so a little sheep gut would be ok. However, I ain't cooking it and neither is momma. If I'm in Scotland/Ireland (which I'm gonna be one of these days soon) and the local pub is serving it I'll damn sure try it. I can't tell you how much I hate it when people go "ooooh, gross" when offered something they're not used to or have never tried. Again, picky eaters bug me. One of my proudest accomplishments was raising 5 boys who will eat the bark off a tree if it's what's for dinner.

hawaii 5-0
1/1/2013, 06:56 PM
Luv 'em.

5-0

olevetonahill
1/1/2013, 06:58 PM
Hell, I like menudo, so a little sheep gut would be ok. However, I ain't cooking it and neither is momma. If I'm in Scotland/Ireland (which I'm gonna be one of these days soon) and the local pub is serving it I'll damn sure try it. I can't tell you how much I hate it when people go "ooooh, gross" when offered something they're not used to or have never tried. Again, picky eaters bug me. One of my proudest accomplishments was raising 5 boys who will eat the bark off a tree if it's what's for dinner.

Heh, Yup Ill pretty much try anything once.

cleller
1/1/2013, 07:01 PM
Have you ever tried to make Hoppin John, a Southern dish with blackeyed peas, rice, onions, and bacon (or sausage)? A friend of mine has a neighbor who made it and it was oh so good with French champagne.

I was raised on a chopped down version of Hoppin John, basically just rice and blackeyed peas with some kind of meat tossed in. Still love it, though some find it odd.

We've been eating the salsa stuff today. If you don't like the peas, and it isn't New Years, substitute shoepeg corn for the peas, and most importantly cilantro instead of parsley! Can't get enough cilantro.

FirstandGoal
1/1/2013, 11:59 PM
Jebus you guys sure do eat a lot of weird ****. Nobody ever better make fun of my veggies and hummus ever again after reading about all the nasty stuff you guys will try.

olevetonahill
1/2/2013, 12:14 AM
Jebus you guys sure do eat a lot of weird ****. Nobody ever better make fun of my veggies and hummus ever again after reading about all the nasty stuff you guys will try.

I like Veggies a Lot, And Ill eat yer Hummus any time :welcoming:

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 01:10 AM
I was in Ireland 16 days and never saw Haggis on the menu anywhere. I of course never asked for it either. I guess it's possible someone there might make it since it's so close to England/UK

rock on sooner
1/2/2013, 11:05 AM

Take hot sauce and pickled jalapenos when ya go. Most British/Scottish
food is bland...least it used ta be back in tha day...

badger
1/2/2013, 11:15 AM
I've started having Black Eyed Peas on New Year's since marriage, then I wonder every New Year's why I don't eat them more often... then I don't. Perhaps 2013 will be different

hawaii 5-0
1/2/2013, 02:40 PM
I was in Ireland 16 days and never saw Haggis on the menu anywhere. I of course never asked for it either. I guess it's possible someone there might make it since it's so close to England/UK

I thought Haggis was Scottish.

5-0

Turd_Ferguson
1/2/2013, 03:11 PM

5-0

It is.

lexsooner
1/2/2013, 08:53 PM
Haggis is Scottish and they even offer it as a topping on pizza. There is a pizza chain restaurant there, a poor imitation of Pizza Hut, which offers toppings such as haggis, mussels, broccoli, on pizza. No, I did not try any of those toppings.

rock on sooner
1/2/2013, 09:26 PM
Haggis is Scottish and they even offer it as a topping on pizza. There is a pizza chain restaurant there, a poor imitation of Pizza Hut, which offers toppings such as haggis, mussels, broccoli, on pizza. No, I did not try any of those toppings.

Ya done good....

olevetonahill
1/2/2013, 09:36 PM
Ya done good....

I might try the baby Cabbage toppin. I like em

StoopTroup
1/2/2013, 11:18 PM

5-0

It is but Ireland has become a Resort Place for a lot of folks. So they might possibly offer Haggis since Scotland is so close. It's been a few years since I was there and things can always change.

StoopTroup
1/3/2013, 08:26 PM
Finished off the B E peas today. Cornbread too. Time to buy a new bottle of hot sauce too!

olevetonahill
1/3/2013, 09:03 PM
All the Black Eyes have exited the Brown Eye

Will prolly make some more in a few months :very_drunk:

Fraggle145
1/3/2013, 11:01 PM
Just had mine tonight. Along with cornbread, collards, and pork chops. Was pretty ****in good.

olevetonahill
1/3/2013, 11:02 PM
Just had mine tonight. Along with cornbread, collards, and pork chops. Was pretty ****in good.

You a coulpa days Late ya dumas. Hope fer that boys sake ya still covered from last year :very_drunk:

Fraggle145
1/3/2013, 11:03 PM
Weird foods that I like: Anchovies. Some anchovies ona pizza is the ****. especially with pepperoni, goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and onions.

I'll eat pretty much anything except for canned peas, lima beans, butter beans, or poorly prepared liver.

Fraggle145
1/3/2013, 11:03 PM
You a coulpa days Late ya dumas. Hope fer that boys sake ya still covered from last year :very_drunk:

I had double helpings to make up for it. :)

olevetonahill
1/3/2013, 11:09 PM
Weird foods that I like: Anchovies. Some anchovies ona pizza is the ****. especially with pepperoni, goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and onions.

I'll eat pretty much anything except for canned peas, lima beans, butter beans, or poorly prepared liver.

Is there another way to Prepare Liver? Ill eat it but I aint gonna buy it to cook myself
Now them Beans an peas ya best be careful
I like me a Pea salad . I use Canned Peas, chop up an onion toss in some Mayo and a Boiled egg er 2 and ya gots some fine eatin

Fraggle145
1/3/2013, 11:12 PM
Is there another way to Prepare Liver? Ill eat it but I aint gonna buy it to cook myself
Now them Beans an peas ya best be careful
I like me a Pea salad . I use Canned Peas, chop up an onion toss in some Mayo and a Boiled egg er 2 and ya gots some fine eatin

Sounds good besides the canned peas. Getcha some fresh ones or snap peas and I'm in... Canned peas are nasty.

**** I dont know... I just know I had liver at furrs one time a long time ago and it tasted disgusting. But I'll eat the **** outta some patte.

olevetonahill
1/3/2013, 11:19 PM
Sounds good besides the canned peas. Getcha some fresh ones or snap peas and I'm in... Canned peas are nasty.

**** I dont know... I just know I had liver at furrs one time a long time ago and it tasted disgusting. But I'll eat the **** outta some patte.

The Pea salad is Good. The liver needs to be thin sliced and fried well
Or just take the shat and go Cat fishin.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/3/2013, 11:27 PM
It's over. New Years is over. Time to move on. Tomorrow, throw out any Black Eyed Peas you didn't eat.

olevetonahill
1/3/2013, 11:40 PM
It's over. New Years is over. Time to move on. Tomorrow, throw out any Black Eyed Peas you didn't eat.

I threw em Out this Morning in the ceramic Disposal

SCOUT
1/4/2013, 12:18 AM
I will try anything. I am trying to instill that in my kids too...with mixed success. If you don't try it, there is no way you will know if you like it.

I have learned:
Sheep lung tastes like ****ty dumplings
Gator tail is a very tasty appetizer
Frog legs do taste like chicken, if they were mixed together with catfish
Hummus if freaking awesome
etc

SCOUT
1/4/2013, 12:18 AM
I didn't see a recipe for Black Eyed Peas that included a ham bone or ham hock. That is a shame.

olevetonahill
1/4/2013, 12:31 AM
I didn't see a recipe for Black Eyed Peas that included a ham bone or ham hock. That is a shame.

I Live alone so I just dump em out the can

SCOUT
1/4/2013, 12:34 AM
Ugh

olevetonahill
1/4/2013, 12:35 AM
Ugh

But I do rinse em off then add my own seasonings

Pretty dayum good

SCOUT
1/4/2013, 12:38 AM
But I do rinse em off then add my own seasonings

Pretty dayum good

Dude, I am bringing you some proper black eyed peas. How is it you have such great recipes but eat black eyed peas out of the can. I can't wrap my head around it :)

olevetonahill
1/4/2013, 12:46 AM
Dude, I am bringing you some proper black eyed peas. How is it you have such great recipes but eat black eyed peas out of the can. I can't wrap my head around it :)

Hell Bro I can eat anything
I have a bag of Hamhocks in the freezer
Im eatin some Rice with Maters , corn and Okra over it with a fried Porck chop right now
Good stuff

Oh and Corn bread