PDA

View Full Version : AD ranks where among the NFL greats....

stoopified
12/31/2012, 03:54 PM
On Mt. RushFerMore? The current answer is 33rd with 8849 yds.AD just passed Frank Gore and recently Herschel Walker.Among other Notables behind AD are Gale Sayers,Roger Craig,Terrell Davis,Leroy Kelly.

AD's current Career stats: 89 games/82 games started
1754c-8849 yds-76 TDs 5.0 ypc/99.4ypg 177r- 1,526 yds-4 TDs Ahead of him are among others:

Earl Cambell 115 g/ 103 gs
2187c-9407 yds - 74 TDs 4.3 ypc/81.8 ypg 121 r- 806 yds-0 Tds AD is 558 yards behind and will need 6 games at his current pace to pass him.

Jim Brown 118g/118 gs
2354c-12,312 yds-106TDs 5.2ypc/104.3 ypg 262-2494 yds-20TDs AD needs 3463 and 35 games.

Eric Dickerson 146g/135gs
2996c- 13,259 yds- 90TDs 4.4ypc/90.8 ypg 281r-2137yds-6TDS AD is 4410 yds and 47 games away

Barry Sanders 153g/151gs
3062c- 15,269 yds - 99TDs 5.0ypc/99.8 ypg 352r- 2921 yds-10 TDs AD needs 6420 yds in 67 games

IMHO this is where AD will end his career with 14-15,000 career yard in a 10 year career. I do think it is possible that AD can extend his career because of his work ethic so I will continue .

Walter Payton 190g/ 184 gs
3838c-16,726-110 TDs 4.4 ppg/88.0 ypg 492r-4538 yds -15 TDs AD needs 7877 yds in 79 games

Emmit Smith 226 g/ 219
4409c-18,355 -164 TDs 4.2ypc/82.2 ypg 515r-3224 yds- 11 TDs AD needs 9506 yds in 96 games -Well at least in theory AD could pass Emmit in a 12 year career.I tink it is unlikely but I do think AD is almost certain to crack the Top 3-4.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/31/2012, 04:00 PM
He's top 10 for sure, regardless of his longevity. Being all-time #2 in ypc this year should garner him that accolade.

OkieThunderLion
12/31/2012, 04:13 PM
1. J Brown
2. A Peterson
3. W Payton

badger
12/31/2012, 04:18 PM
Do NFL stats include the old USFL? If not, really not fair so some of those during that era, since they chose to go to the USFL instead of the NFL for a few years.

12/31/2012, 04:20 PM
1. J Brown
2. A Peterson
3. W Payton
others considered, in no particular order:

Dickerson
Sayers
Bo Jackson
OJ Slithroat
Emmitt Smith
Earl Campbell
B. Sanders

stoops the eternal pimp
12/31/2012, 04:22 PM
It's amazing the credit Bo Jackson gets as a NFL rb when he never had a 1000 yard season.

badger
12/31/2012, 04:25 PM
It's amazing the credit Bo Jackson gets as a NFL rb when he never had a 1000 yard season.

He can thank Nike for that :)

OkieThunderLion
12/31/2012, 04:25 PM
Do NFL stats include the old USFL? If not, really not fair so some of those during that era, since they chose to go to the USFL instead of the NFL for a few years.
Not included. But I'm not judging mine based on stats.

Walker was great but not in the top tier of all-time.

OkieThunderLion
12/31/2012, 04:26 PM
Bo was great but couldn't stick his foot in the ground and change direction like Peterson.

OkieThunderLion
12/31/2012, 04:28 PM
He can thank Nike for that :)

And the longest runs from scrimmage in the NFL, for the '87, '89, and '90 seasons.

stoopified
12/31/2012, 04:34 PM
Not included. But I'm not judging mine based on stats.

Walker was great but not in the top tier of all-time.True dat on boyh counts.HHowever for the purpse of this thread I meant stat wise. FWIW I Think Sanders,Brown, Payton are the three greatest RBs in NFL history to date.

BTW at current pace AD is about 35 games away from the Top 10.

12/31/2012, 04:37 PM
It's amazing the credit Bo Jackson gets as a NFL rb when he never had a 1000 yard season.he WAS that good. I would have rated Marcus DuPree up there if he had made it into the NFL with the same skills he had before getting mamed.

okiewaker
12/31/2012, 04:47 PM
Never got to watch Jim Brown but he must have been amazing. Is OJ in there anywhere?

Brown
Sanders
Peyton
Simpson

Is how I have it, excluding AD.
I guess id have to put E Smith in there somewhere, idk.

Just based on a backs I think are most exciting to watch Sanders and AD are my favorites.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/31/2012, 04:52 PM
Brown
Sanders
Payton
OJ
AD
Sayers
Campbell
Smith
Faulk
Allen

stoops the eternal pimp
12/31/2012, 04:54 PM
he WAS that good. I would have rated Marcus DuPree up there if he had made it into the NFL with the same skills he had before getting mamed.

Bo Jackson had 3 runs that totaled 10% of his career yardage..as a Raiders fan looking back, The aura around Jackson was a lot bigger than jackson the player.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/31/2012, 04:59 PM
the reason I put OJ ahead of AD is because he is the only 2000 yard rusher in the 14 game era.

8timechamps
12/31/2012, 05:07 PM
Brown
Sanders
Payton
OJ
AD
Sayers
Campbell
Smith
Faulk
Allen

I can agree with that list. Although, I think I'd put Sanders ahead of Brown. AD will only move up that list.

SoonerNomad
12/31/2012, 05:26 PM
Jim Brown is still the best back of all time, in my opinion. He was a men among boys in the 60's. Like Sanders he had at least five thousand more yards in him when he walked away.

As for Adrian he has already earned a spot on the short list of the greatest of all time (top ten or so and climbing) and to steal and slightly amend the famous Bum Phillips quote about the great Earl Cambpell and apply it to AD, "he ain't in a class all of his own, but it don't take long to call the roll!"

It will be interesting to see what he can do for the next three or four years to move even higher up the list of all time greats.

It is also impressive to see that the top ten list above doesn't even include a couple of my favorites that are awful close to that caliber, Eric Dickerson (though he is mentioned a couple of times early in the thread) and Tony Dorsett. I am sure there are others that we aren't even thinking about.

12/31/2012, 05:31 PM
Bo Jackson had 3 runs that totaled 10% of his career yardage..as a Raiders fan looking back, The aura around Jackson was a lot bigger than jackson the player.He didn't play very long, then got a hip replacement. Before the injury, he was THAT good.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/31/2012, 05:35 PM
He didn't play very long, then got a hip replacement. Before the injury, he was THAT good.

He was a good back...i just can't think of anything meritting him an all time back..I would put him maybe in the lower top 10 of 80s RBs. if there was something he did in the NFL that made him an all time great, I would like to read it.

he couldn't catch out of the backfield, He was explosive in certain points..An amazing college back..

12/31/2012, 05:36 PM
Brown
Sanders
Payton
OJ
AD
Sayers
Campbell
Smith
Faulk
Allen

Faulk and Allen, VERY good, but IMO not up in the top ten. But, if we aren't basing the list on statistics, and I agree we shouldn't, we're talking subjective assessment.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/31/2012, 05:38 PM
Really..Faulk could do everything on the field as could Allen..Pass protect, catch out of the backfield, solid backs that you knew every week what you would get from them..

Honestly, what part of Bo Jackson's game would put him on a list and those guys not?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/31/2012, 05:40 PM
I mean, wouldn't there have to be some accomplishment made to be considered an all time great?

12/31/2012, 05:41 PM
He was a good back...i just can't think of anything meritting him an all time back..I would put him maybe in the lower top 10 of 80s RBs. if there was something he did in the NFL that made him an all time great, I would like to read it.

he couldn't catch out of the backfield, He was explosive in certain points..An amazing college back..I'm not trying to get you to change your opinion. Jackson was among the very fastest ball carriers of all time, and the size of a linebacker. He just had a very short NFL career. It's subjective. We just disagree.

SoonerNomad
12/31/2012, 05:44 PM
Bo Jackson is to the NFL top 10 running backs like Marcus Dupree is to a list of top OU running backs. You saw the bursts. You know he was great and a potential top ten and he "could have" ended up on this list, but in reality he was a part time player that was injured way too early to get on any list of this type.

Just imagine if he had decided to play only football. Just imagine if Marcus hadn't got irritated with Coach Switzer.

Oh, the imagination.

OkieThunderLion
12/31/2012, 08:26 PM
Brown
Sanders
Payton
OJ
AD
Sayers
Campbell
Smith
Faulk
Allen

Dickerson better than a lot of those guys.

OkieThunderLion
12/31/2012, 08:28 PM
Bo Jackson had 3 runs that totaled 10% of his career yardage..as a Raiders fan looking back, The aura around Jackson was a lot bigger than jackson the player.
Regardless, Jackson averaged 5.4 yards per carry.

0.4 higher than everyone but Jim Brown.

Jackson game was legit as the hype. He just didn't have the playing time.

OkieThunderLion
12/31/2012, 08:30 PM

he couldn't catch out of the backfield, He was explosive in certain points..An amazing college back..

Your take is off on this one, and his hands were good. You just couldn't screen him, for the same reason you can't screen Peterson or Dickerson.

8timechamps
12/31/2012, 08:34 PM
I'd put Terrell Davis ahead of Bo Jackson, but I don't think either are top 10 backs.

OkieThunderLion
12/31/2012, 09:09 PM
I'd put Terrell Davis ahead of Bo Jackson, but I don't think either are top 10 backs.

I don't know how to rank Davis. My eyes saw nothing special. But the stats (team) speak for themselves.

okiewaker
12/31/2012, 09:22 PM
Gotta put Franco Harris in there somewhere. Rookie of the year, selected to 9 pro bowls, over 12,000 rushing yards, part of 4 SB wins, And SB MVP.

8timechamps
12/31/2012, 09:28 PM
I don't know how to rank Davis. My eyes saw nothing special. But the stats (team) speak for themselves.

That's why I don't consider him a top 10 back. He was a workhorse, but wasn't a flashy, out-run you type of guy. I give him extra credit for his playoff performances.

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2012, 09:37 PM

Davis is under-rated. His vision was about as good as I've seen and he had a good blend of speed and power. He gets labeled a system running back because Denver got good stats out of other backs that came after him. But what the stats don't show is that Davis forced other teams to put 8 in the box and opened up big plays downfield for Elway. The other Denver backs didn't do that and their passing game was never the same (of course Elway retiring had something to do with that too).

12/31/2012, 10:42 PM
Regardless, Jackson averaged 5.4 yards per carry.

0.4 higher than everyone but Jim Brown.

Jackson game was legit as the hype. He just didn't have the playing time.That's the way I look at it, too. He was amazing, but too short lived. (He beat out Marcus Allen on the same team, while Marcus was still in his prime)

12/31/2012, 10:45 PM
Davis is under-rated. His vision was about as good as I've seen and he had a good blend of speed and power. He gets labeled a system running back because Denver got good stats out of other backs that came after him. But what the stats don't show is that Davis forced other teams to put 8 in the box and opened up big plays downfield for Elway. The other Denver backs didn't do that and their passing game was never the same (of course Elway retiring had something to do with that too).That reminds me, I wantna see Denver fold up in the playoffs...Vikes, baby! GO AD!

Scott D
12/31/2012, 10:48 PM

as much as I love the guy, he's the ultimate "what if".

12/31/2012, 10:49 PM
Bo Jackson is to the NFL top 10 running backs like Marcus Dupree is to a list of top OU running backs. You saw the bursts. You know he was great and a potential top ten and he "could have" ended up on this list, but in reality he was a part time player that was injured way too early to get on any list of this type.

Just imagine if he had decided to play only football. Just imagine if Marcus hadn't got irritated with Coach Switzer.

Oh, the imagination.The comparison to Marcus DuPree is a good one, however, jackson DID EXCEL in the NFL, and was the talk of the town(all towns) until he got the serious injury. That's why he makes my list of 10.

Scott D
12/31/2012, 10:50 PM
Really..Faulk could do everything on the field as could Allen..Pass protect, catch out of the backfield, solid backs that you knew every week what you would get from them..

Honestly, what part of Bo Jackson's game would put him on a list and those guys not?

Marcus Allen was a better passer than everyone on that list :P

Scott D
12/31/2012, 10:51 PM
Brown
Sanders
Payton
OJ
AD
Sayers
Campbell
Smith
Faulk
Allen

and this list is why I heart you my brother from another mother. Even though my obvious bias that wants to put Campbell at the bottom of this list and say he's an overrated Christian Okoye (ok not really, I just wanted to type Christian Okoye) :)

Scott D
12/31/2012, 10:55 PM

last comment on Bo. The majority of the belief I think has to do with the fact that he did rush for 950 yds in 11 games in '89.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/31/2012, 10:59 PM

That is where the NFL network put him (like #6 out of the 80's). He was just ahead of Dorsett.

ouleaf
12/31/2012, 11:07 PM
Also have to consider Tomlinson IMO...Much in the mold of Marshall Faulk but better and completely dominant for a significant period of time...just unfortunately lacking the championship ring like Barry.

Scott D
12/31/2012, 11:38 PM
That's the way I look at it, too. He was amazing, but too short lived. (He beat out Marcus Allen on the same team, while Marcus was still in his prime)

Well, that depends on what story you believe. If Marcus Allen is to be believed, it wasn't that he was beaten out, it was that things were personal with Al Davis, and he flat out told the coaching staff to avoid playing Marcus to the point where he spent that draft pick on Jackson if for no other reason than to keep Marcus from getting carries. That being said, Marcus was the best tailback playing fullback ever. :)

Scott D
12/31/2012, 11:39 PM
everything other than Jim Brown being the GOAT is subjective ;)

OkieThunderLion
12/31/2012, 11:47 PM
Davis is under-rated. His vision was about as good as I've seen and he had a good blend of speed and power. He gets labeled a system running back because Denver got good stats out of other backs that came after him. But what the stats don't show is that Davis forced other teams to put 8 in the box and opened up big plays downfield for Elway. The other Denver backs didn't do that and their passing game was never the same (of course Elway retiring had something to do with that too).

Denver was ahead of the league with their zone schemes. Kind of like how college spread QBs rewrote the entire record book in the 2000s.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2013, 12:18 AM
Denver was ahead of the league with their zone schemes. Kind of like how college spread QBs rewrote the entire record book in the 2000s.

They were, but Davis was still a special back and would have been a star anywhere. Not among the NFL greats, but would have gone to more pro bowls without the knee injury.

BAck to AD. To me AD ranks among all time greats right now unless you go by longevity and career stats. He is as dominant as any back has ever been. The other factor is entertainment value and AD can't be topped in that category. Football is a game and I can't think of another player that has ever excited fans as much as AD. Even opposing fans tip their caps to him.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/1/2013, 09:36 AM
That's the way I look at it, too. He was amazing, but too short lived. (He beat out Marcus Allen on the same team, while Marcus was still in his prime)

You are obviously not a Raiders fan and know the story of that!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/1/2013, 03:52 PM
This is the top 25 as it stands right now (poor Thomas Jones)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/history/leaders/_/stat/rushlead

Peterson is at 8,849 with 5-6 more years left. At that point, he is probably going to start losing the long runs from deteriorating speed.

He has a decent chance of breaking into the top 25 next year.

8timechamps
1/1/2013, 04:26 PM

You can probably guess that I was a HUGE Davis fan. I called him a workhorse earlier in this thread, because that's what he was...Shanahan could feed him the entire game and he was rock steady. I'll never forget his performance against Green Bay in the Super Bowl. As you probably remember (if you lived here during that time), he suffered from migraines, and he had one in the second half of that game.

Anyway, I just can't put him in the top 10, but that's probably because he ended his career early. If medicine was then, what it is now, he would have played another 3 or 4 years.

8timechamps
1/1/2013, 04:30 PM

Very true, they were the first team in the league to go with "undersized" offensive linemen too (to accompany their zone schemes). But, just like everything in the NFL, it got copied and eventually just became the norm. Not to take this topic further off topic, but it's kinda like the Redskins running their Pistol offense. How long will it be before we start seeing it in other places?

1/1/2013, 04:46 PM
You are obviously not a Raiders fan and know the story of that!I don't believe I do know the whole story. You can tell us, I'm sure. Regardless of the story, Bo Jackson is/was much better as a runner than Marcus Allen, due to pure speed. Marcus was a great back, but not top 10 to me.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/1/2013, 05:02 PM
See,I guess we just look at it differently..I look at what a guy did on the field..what he accomplished, what he did for his team, how he could be used..that's my way..super bowl mvp, rookie of the year, regular season mvp..Did everything at a high level...If pure speed is the guage of who is a better back than Chris Johnson is better than both of them.

Al Davis and his hatred for Marcus are pretty comparable to the Reggie Jackson/George Steinbrenner feud, except Al did what he could to keep Allen off the field.

The story told by one of the coaches is that down 5 to the cardinals in a game, Allen was put on the field on the 4 yard line and the coach took off his headset so "Not to get yelled at and screamed at and fussed at" by Davis(if you didn't know, he wore a headset during games)

Allen scored the winning TD and Davis was livid...even though they won..

This is the reason Marcus was moved to fullback when Jackson came on board.. because after Jackson went down, MA had to sit behind Greg Bell and every other back that came long until the KC trade.

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 05:09 PM
See,I guess we just look at it differently..I look at what a guy did on the field..what he accomplished, what he did for his team, how he could be used..that's my way..super bowl mvp, rookie of the year, regular season mvp..Did everything at a high level...If pure speed is the guage of who is a better back than Chris Johnson is better than both of them.

Al Davis and his hatred for Marcus are pretty comparable to the Reggie Jackson/George Steinbrenner feud, except Al did what he could to keep Allen off the field.

The story told by one of the coaches is that down 5 to the cardinals in a game, Allen was put on the field on the 4 yard line and the coach took off his headset so "Not to get yelled at and screamed at and fussed at" by Davis(if you didn't know, he wore a headset during games)

Allen scored the winning TD and Davis was livid...even though they won..

This is the reason Marcus was moved to fullback when Jackson came on board.. because after Jackson went down, MA had to sit behind Greg Bell and every other back that came long until the KC trade.

Very True. Davis hated MA. It's one of the worst I ever saw in NFL History. It's at least one of the most blatant.

C&CDean
1/1/2013, 05:17 PM
One thing I think everyone who slobbers on Jim Brown's knob is forgetting is this:

They didn't pass the ball back in the day like they do now. They didn't spread the runs between more than one back. If AD got the touches per game that Brown/Simpson/Sanders got he'd have even more yards than he does. Or be crippled, cause they didn't hit back in the day like they do now.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/1/2013, 05:19 PM
It's illegal to hit in football now

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 05:22 PM

Only above the cleats though.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2013, 05:24 PM
You can probably guess that I was a HUGE Davis fan. I called him a workhorse earlier in this thread, because that's what he was...Shanahan could feed him the entire game and he was rock steady. I'll never forget his performance against Green Bay in the Super Bowl. As you probably remember (if you lived here during that time), he suffered from migraines, and he had one in the second half of that game.

Anyway, I just can't put him in the top 10, but that's probably because he ended his career early. If medicine was then, what it is now, he would have played another 3 or 4 years.

I never meant to imply Davis was an all time great - just sayin' he was labeled a system back and was under-rated. I think too much is made of longevity when judging backs since so many careers are shortened by injury at that position. It's a tough call because there are backs that are a flash in the pan. But AD is an all time great now - right up there with Sanders, Peyton, Brown, Smith, etc. He's been around long enough he has proven he is no flash in the pan. He's got the toughness, leadership and entertainment value too. His lifetime achievement stats will be there if he is fortunate enough to play enough seasons.

C&CDean
1/1/2013, 05:25 PM

Touche lover. Touche.

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 05:25 PM
Now that Al Davis is dead....is it OK to say something bad about him?

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2013, 05:26 PM

Not if you're an RB - those guys still take a poundin'

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 05:27 PM
Touche lover. Touche.

Did STEP bring you a Taco 12 pack?

TitoMorelli
1/1/2013, 05:52 PM
One thing I think everyone who slobbers on Jim Brown's knob is forgetting is this:

They didn't pass the ball back in the day like they do now. They didn't spread the runs between more than one back. If AD got the touches per game that Brown/Simpson/Sanders got he'd have even more yards than he does. Or be crippled, cause they didn't hit back in the day like they do now.

Sure about that? 'Cause Brown averaged only about 20 rushes per game.

And I don't think guys like Butkis took a back seat to anyone past or present when it comes to hitting a ballcarrier.

C&CDean
1/1/2013, 06:39 PM
Sure about that? 'Cause Brown averaged only about 20 rushes per game.

And I don't think guys like Butkis took a back seat to anyone past or present when it comes to hitting a ballcarrier.

I was just waiting for this response. Didn't take long. Heh.

Yeah, there was Butkis and Nitschke. Maybe Nagurski. Willie Lanier was another fave of mine. However, it wasn't like NFL defenses had 250 lb. linebackers who could run a sub 5-second 40 back then. A superior athlete (and Jim Brown was superior) could pretty much run at will against the defenses of the 50's and 60's. Hell, even look at Tommy McDonald who was also somewhat a superior athlete.

My point is that times have changed. A 1960's offense wouldn't stand a chance against a 2010's defense. Same goes for a 1960's defense going up against a modern offense. The playcalling/schemes aren't it. It's the athletes themselves. Hell, Jerry Kramer (one of my favorite players) wasn't big/strong enough to make a modern D-1 team let alone be an All-Pro world champ in today's game.

The disparity in football is much greater than in any other sport (talking back in the today compared to today). Basketball would be next. Baseball? George Ruth or Henry Aaron would still be a monster in today's game.

bluedogok
1/1/2013, 06:47 PM
Think of what Ruth, Aaron, Mantle or many others could do with today's training methods and focus on year round conditioning. As far as football, my grandfather was in/out of the Packers in the early 40's as an offensive lineman, I am bigger than he was and I would be a woefully undersized lineman in todays game at 6'-2" and 260 pounds. It is a much different game than it was back then.

TitoMorelli
1/1/2013, 06:50 PM
Point taken - of course, equipment is also much better today. Probably not to many around now who would consider playing the game wearing Nagurski's helmet and pads.

On a side note, I sometimes think "greatest running backs" and "greatest runners or ball-carriers" could be separate discussions, since being a running back also entails blocking and receiving. And imo Payton was the greatest-ever RB in that sense, even though Brown, Sanders or others may have been better pure runners.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2013, 06:50 PM
I concur with Dean. Jim Brown was a man amongst boys back then. He would still be an excellent back today, but more of a man amongst men. Sanders, Peyton and (obviously) AD would do their thing against the best defenders to ever play.

Scott D
1/1/2013, 06:53 PM
Dean's just mad because we didn't have Elijah Pitts in the top 5. :D

bluedogok
1/1/2013, 06:56 PM
I concur with Dean. Jim Brown was a man amongst boys back then. He would still be an excellent back today, but more of a man amongst men. Sanders, Peyton and (obviously) AD would do their thing against the best defenders to ever play.
I agree, Brown was just an incredible overall athlete and would have been a very good back in the game today. With modern training methods who knows how good he would really be, the same could possibly be said for Thorpe.

C&CDean
1/1/2013, 06:59 PM
Dean's just mad because we didn't have Elijah Pitts in the top 5. :D

****in' A brah!!! Dude scored 2 TDs in SB1. He's in the GB hall of fame, and has a kid doing sportscasting somewhere these days.

My fondest memory though was a punt return during a game somewhere in the 60's when my pop went "damn, that ****** can run!" Yessir, that ****** could run.

TitoMorelli
1/1/2013, 07:00 PM
Think of what Ruth, Aaron, Mantle or many others could do with today's training methods and focus on year round conditioning. As far as football, my grandfather was in/out of the Packers in the early 40's as an offensive lineman, I am bigger than he was and I would be a woefully undersized lineman in todays game at 6'-2" and 260 pounds. It is a much different game than it was back then.

Of course you're making an awful big assumption if you're picturing Ruth or Mantle as training year round or taking better care of themselves. :)

Seems to me that the thing that sets many of the great ones apart now is the willingness to put in the time and effort to be in the best shape they can be. Also the willingness to commit oneself to the mental preparation required to know an opponent's strengths and weaknesses, schemes, pitching strategies, etc.

Great Sooners like Peterson and Blake Griffin have elevated their games because of their commitment in the weight room and on the practice field/court.

C&CDean
1/1/2013, 07:00 PM
I agree, Brown was just an incredible overall athlete and would have been a very good back in the game today. With modern training methods who knows how good he would really be, the same could possibly be said for Thorpe.

Except that Jim Brown was a confused Symbionese hippy and wouldn't pay attention to no white coach anyhow.

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 07:02 PM
I thought he inherited Bob Marley's stash?

Scott D
1/1/2013, 07:04 PM
Also part of the aura with Jim Brown was the guy like Barry Sanders walked away from the game in his prime. Considering he was a bruising back, the lack of injuries he had is pretty damn amazing as well.

Seamus
1/1/2013, 07:05 PM
Except that Jim Brown was a confused Symbionese hippy and wouldn't pay attention to no white coach anyhow.

I L'dMAO at that one.

okiewaker
1/1/2013, 07:11 PM
Interesting fact. Sanders has most runs over 50 yds (25 times) and most TDs with runs over 50 yds (15, next closest was Brown with 12). Has no meaning to the topic but just an interesting fact.

C&CDean
1/1/2013, 07:16 PM
Interesting fact. Sanders has most runs over 50 yds (25 times) and most TDs with runs over 50 yds (15, next closest was Brown with 12). Has no meaning to the topic but just an interesting fact.

So your thesis is that Jimmy Brown and Barry Sanders were confused/weird/crazy muh****ahs? I agree. When BS quit I went "you stupid ****ing aggy, you could own every record in the history of NFL records, but noooooo, you're making some kind of statement?" Really? What kind of statement? That I'm a dumbass? I didn't get it and I still don't.

bluedogok
1/1/2013, 07:16 PM
Of course you're making an awful big assumption if you're picturing Ruth or Mantle as training year round or taking better care of themselves. :)

Seems to me that the thing that sets many of the great ones apart now is the willingness to put in the time and effort to be in the best shape they can be. Also the willingness to commit oneself to the mental preparation required to know an opponent's strengths and weaknesses, schemes, pitching strategies, etc.

Great Sooners like Peterson and Blake Griffin have elevated their games because of their commitment in the weight room and on the practice field/court.
If they came up in the modern day I would imagine they would use the same training methods as those around them. I would bet a lot of todays players would be out partying all the time like Ruth and Mantle as well if they were playing in that era. Back then there just wasn't a commitment to it like now, in any sport. North Dallas Forty was fiction rooted in the real world.

C&CDean
1/1/2013, 07:18 PM
If they came up in the modern day I would imagine they would use the same training methods as those around them. I would bet a lot of todays players would be out partying all the time like Ruth and Mantle as well if they were playing in that era. Back then there just wasn't a commitment to it like now, in any sport. North Dallas Forty was fiction rooted in the real world.

Except that back then you had pot and heroin and maybe some form of cocaine. If today's players were completely cut loose the NFL would fold. They'd all be waste products living under a bridge somewhere the very second they copped their first paycheck.

C&CDean
1/1/2013, 07:19 PM
Well that's not really fair. Tebow would be circumcising, the rest would be wasted under a bridge down by the river...

TitoMorelli
1/1/2013, 07:23 PM
Interesting bit of trivia concerning Brown - in addition to being a great lacrosse player, he also once held the record for average points per game (38) among all Long Island (NY) high school basketball players. His record eventually was broken by another guy you might have heard of - Carl Yastrzemski.

bluedogok
1/1/2013, 07:41 PM
Interesting bit of trivia concerning Brown - in addition to being a great lacrosse player, he also once held the record for average points per game (38) among all Long Island (NY) high school basketball players. His record eventually was broken by another guy you might have heard of - Carl Yastrzemski.
Those multi-sport athletes are amazing, like Dave Winfield being drafted by four teams in three sports and he didn't even play college football, there were only three players ever so drafted. It seems the age of specialization makes less interesting stories.

Dave Winfield
MLB - 4th overall pick by the San Diego Padres in the 1973 draft, pitcher and outfielder
NBA - Atlanta Hawks
ABA - Utah Stars
NFL - Minnesota Vikings

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/2/2013, 01:58 PM

At this point in their careers, Sanders has 9 more carries than Peterson, most likely from 1-2 more playoff games.

BillyBall
1/2/2013, 02:28 PM
This thread reminds me of how underrated Curtis Martin is.

badger
1/2/2013, 02:37 PM
At this point in their careers, Sanders has 9 more carries than Peterson, most likely from 1-2 more playoff games.

I was about to smirk that the Lions don't make the playoffs, but they actually did five times in the 90s. Of course, the Lions usually lost in those playoffs (never been to the Super Bowl, 1-10 in the playoffs during the Super Bowl era) so Barry didn't have too many extra games.

cyclonesooner
1/2/2013, 03:35 PM
I was lucky enough to see Brown and Sayers back in the day. That being said, If I was a NFL Head Coach and could choose the running back I wanted to be my feature back for the next 10 years, this would be my top ten choices of all time. 1. Adrian Peterson, 2. Jim Brown, 3. Barry Sanders, 4. Earl Campbell, 5. O.J. Simpson, 6. Walter Payton, 7. Gale Sayers, 8. Eric Dickerson, 9. Emmitt Smith, 10. Tony Dorsett.
I'm surprised Billy Sims hasn't been mentioned in this thread although obviously he can't be rated too high because of his injury shortened career. Of course Sayers career spanned about the same years and career yards. I truly believe that if Sims could have stayed healthy, he would have achieved the same amount of greatness as the 10 men mentioned above.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/2/2013, 03:47 PM
This thread reminds me of how underrated Curtis Martin is.

I was thinking this as i made my list....one of my favorite all time backs also..

MI Sooner
1/2/2013, 05:56 PM
I'm surprised at the lack of appreciation for all purpose backs like Faulk and Tomlinson. Peterson's among the very best runners, but he comes out in most passing situations.

Also, if you're looking at best at their peak, you would have guys like Bo Jackson right at the top of this list. If you look at the entire career, Emmitt Smith shoots up the rankings. Since AD has played six seasons, I think it's fair to compare him to the best six year runs for other guys. I started watching football in the mid-to-late 80s, and without going back to look at the numbers much, I'd go:

Barry
Peterson
Smith
Faulk
Tomlinson
Thomas

as my top 6 (edit: since I started watching, which excludes pretty much everyone started playing w/ Dickerson or before).

Eielson
1/3/2013, 01:05 AM
Jim Brown is so far ahead of everybody else it's not even funny. He led the league in rushing 8 out of 9 years, and it usualy wasn't even close. In '58, '63, and '65 he had nearly twice as many rushing yards as the #2 guy. AD could get 2,000 yards again next year and I still wouldn't entertain the idea of him being better than Brown. He won't ever catch Brown, but that's it. I think he'll end up at 2. He's already top 5 behind Brown, Sanders, and maybe another guy or two. I'd be shocked if he ended his career below #3 all-time.

1/3/2013, 01:17 AM
I was lucky enough to see Brown and Sayers back in the day. That being said, If I was a NFL Head Coach and could choose the running back I wanted to be my feature back for the next 10 years, this would be my top ten choices of all time. 1. Adrian Peterson, 2. Jim Brown, 3. Barry Sanders, 4. Earl Campbell, 5. O.J. Simpson, 6. Walter Payton, 7. Gale Sayers, 8. Eric Dickerson, 9. Emmitt Smith, 10. Tony Dorsett.
I'm surprised Billy Sims hasn't been mentioned in this thread although obviously he can't be rated too high because of his injury shortened career. Of course Sayers career spanned about the same years and career yards. I truly believe that if Sims could have stayed healthy, he would have achieved the same amount of greatness as the 10 men mentioned above.great choices. I would have no issues with putting any of those people in ther top 10, although i would need to have Bo Jackson there, and make it a top 11, not necessarily in the same order as you have..

cyclonesooner
1/3/2013, 07:20 PM
Thanks Rush. I definitely would have had Bo at # 7 had he played longer.

8timechamps
1/3/2013, 07:29 PM
I'm surprised at the lack of appreciation for all purpose backs like Faulk and Tomlinson. Peterson's among the very best runners, but he comes out in most passing situations.

Also, if you're looking at best at their peak, you would have guys like Bo Jackson right at the top of this list. If you look at the entire career, Emmitt Smith shoots up the rankings. Since AD has played six seasons, I think it's fair to compare him to the best six year runs for other guys. I started watching football in the mid-to-late 80s, and without going back to look at the numbers much, I'd go:

Barry
Peterson
Smith
Faulk
Tomlinson
Thomas

as my top 6 (edit: since I started watching, which excludes pretty much everyone started playing w/ Dickerson or before).

That's the problem when you are compiling a list of the best running backs, some of those guys were phenomenal in the passing game, so it hurts their position as the best "running backs". On a much smaller level, I think of a player like Reggie Bush, and I don't really put him in the running backs category. He is, and he can be dangerous there, but I think of him more as a receiver that also runs the ball.

In my mind, Faulk and Tomlinson were excellent backs, but their function/role in their team's respective passing games kind of hurt their "true" running back ranking.

I'm a little surprised that Emmitt doesn't get mentioned as much whenever top RB lists are discussed. I think a lot of people consider his success as part of such an incredible offense, and discount it somehow. In the end, he still rushed for a ton of yards in the NFL. Not an easy feat.

cyclonesooner
1/3/2013, 07:49 PM
Emmit Smith ran behind might have been the greatest offensive line in the history of the NFL imo. No telling what Peterson would have done behind that line !!!!!!!!

olevetonahill
1/3/2013, 10:09 PM
The Greatest IMHO

ouleaf
1/3/2013, 11:03 PM
That's the problem when you are compiling a list of the best running backs, some of those guys were phenomenal in the passing game, so it hurts their position as the best "running backs". On a much smaller level, I think of a player like Reggie Bush, and I don't really put him in the running backs category. He is, and he can be dangerous there, but I think of him more as a receiver that also runs the ball.

In my mind, Faulk and Tomlinson were excellent backs, but their function/role in their team's respective passing games kind of hurt their "true" running back ranking.

I don't get this....Both of them are in the top 10 all time in just pure rushing yards, with Tomlinson coming in at Number 5. They are great running backs in their own right. Who is to say if they were in more run-oriented offenses their numbers would have been even higher than that.

Oh and you can't even put Reggie Bush in the same sentence with those two.

ashley
1/4/2013, 02:10 PM
Jim Brown is so far ahead of everybody else it's not even funny. He led the league in rushing 8 out of 9 years, and it usualy wasn't even close. In '58, '63, and '65 he had nearly twice as many rushing yards as the #2 guy. AD could get 2,000 yards again next year and I still wouldn't entertain the idea of him being better than Brown. He won't ever catch Brown, but that's it. I think he'll end up at 2. He's already top 5 behind Brown, Sanders, and maybe another guy or two. I'd be shocked if he ended his career below #3 all-time.

Yes Brown was great but look who he was playing against. 240 lb defensive tackles and 220 lb ends. He was usually faster than any defensive player. The total team speed and size now can't even be compared to 1960. Can you imagine Peterson against those guys.

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2013, 02:22 PM
Yes Brown was great but look who he was playing against. 240 lb defensive tackles and 220 lb ends. He was usually faster than any defensive player. The total team speed and size now can't even be compared to 1960. Can you imagine Peterson against those guys.

If you factor in leadership, AD tops Brown. Brown was always an enigma and didn't inspire the players around him like AD does. AD is more like Peyton in that respect. AD was like a stronger, faster Peyton in running style too.

SoonerorLater
1/4/2013, 02:33 PM

Jim Brown was a phenomenal back. I don't know if I would categorically state he was number one of all-time though that is the the majority prevailing opinion. A couple of things combined to work in Brown's favor. Ironically one of the major advantages he had was playing against defenses that were sparsely populated with black players. There were fewer blacks that went to college at that time so fewer ever saw the light of day on the NFL playing field. Many potential NFL greats never played a down. Very few players fall through the cracks today. Two, Brown played in the era of the tear-away jersey a definite competitive advantage for running backs. So much so they were eventually banned.

If I had to rank them I'd say 1. Barry Sanders 2. Jim Brown 3A. Earl Campbell 3B. Adrian Peterson (his account is still open. May end up the greatest of all-time) 5. Walter Payton

jkjsooner
1/4/2013, 04:35 PM

I agree that looking at rushing stats isn't fair to the dual threat type of backs. I think Brian Westbrook was another one who was very important in both running and receiving.

Unfortunately for Peterson, since he is taken out on passing downs, he doesn't get those garbage yards players get when they play it safe and run on third and long. Guys pick up good chunks of yardage on those plays even if they rarely get the first down.

I remember thinking Peterson was going to be a great receiver out of the back field his sophomore year. They talked about working on that. It just seems that he wasn't a natural catching the ball and running with it and he really hasn't improved that much since then. He can be a weapon but he doesn't look fluid when doing it and gives the defenders a split second to close on him. Given, now he attracts lots of attention even if he doesn't have the ball so you can't sneak many passes to him (screens/etc) like other guys.

ashley
1/4/2013, 05:33 PM
Jim Brown was a phenomenal back. I don't know if I would categorically state he was number one of all-time though that is the the majority prevailing opinion. A couple of things combined to work in Brown's favor. Ironically one of the major advantages he had was playing against defenses that were sparsely populated with black players. There were fewer blacks that went to college at that time so fewer ever saw the light of day on the NFL playing field. Many potential NFL greats never played a down. Very few players fall through the cracks today. Two, Brown played in the era of the tear-away jersey a definite competitive advantage for running backs. So much so they were eventually banned.

If I had to rank them I'd say 1. Barry Sanders 2. Jim Brown 3A. Earl Campbell 3B. Adrian Peterson (his account is still open. May end up the greatest of all-time) 5. Walter Payton
I don't remember the pros ever using tear-away jerseys.

BoulderSooner79
1/4/2013, 05:52 PM
I don't remember the pros ever using tear-away jerseys.

I don't either, but I could be wrong. Interesting that "Greg Pruitt" is a high search hit for "tear away jersey". I don't recall Greg having his jersey ripped alot, but I do remember Earl Campbell going through a jersey about every other carry at while at Texas. I also remember SEC teams using tear aways and half-jerseys extensively until the rules were changed.