PDA

View Full Version : shotgun owner types

SoonerLaw09
12/29/2012, 04:03 PM
What are the advantages/disadvantages of a pistol grip shotgun as opposed to a standard stock? Going to purchase a Remy 870 and would like some opinionated type info.

StoopTroup
12/29/2012, 04:07 PM
I don't own any weapons.

olevetonahill
12/29/2012, 04:12 PM
What is its Primary purpose going to be?

SoonerLaw09
12/29/2012, 04:17 PM
What is its Primary purpose going to be?

Safekeeping life and property when the defecation comes down.

StoopTroup
12/29/2012, 04:17 PM
Rollin' Down Rodeo?

SoonerLaw09
12/29/2012, 04:18 PM
I don't own any weapons.

Gee, that's unfortunate. Because, like, because of your name, I thought, like, you were a troop.

StoopTroup
12/29/2012, 04:24 PM
Gee, that's unfortunate. Because, like, because of your name, I thought, like, you were a troop.

:D I'm a lover....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z95fY4rsK4Q

olevetonahill
12/29/2012, 04:26 PM
Safekeeping life and property when the defecation comes down.

So Home defense?

The Pistol grip in MHO is just a matter of choice. Ive had both and cant really say theres an advantage of one over the other for H.D.
Maybe the Pistol grip is a Bit easier to handle in close quarters.

cleller
12/29/2012, 04:52 PM
So Home defense?

The Pistol grip in MHO is just a matter of choice. Ive had both and cant really say theres an advantage of one over the other for H.D.
Maybe the Pistol grip is a Bit easier to handle in close quarters.

The close quarter thing would be the only advantage to a pistol grip IMO. I've never cared for them, but have only shot with a pistol grip a few times. You've got much better control and more options with a standard stock. Even if you don't shoulder it, you could probably secure it against your hip quicker and more effectively.

For me, the pistol grip thing just feels strange and uncomfortable, not the sort of distraction you might want in a crisis. Also, if the thing feels unwieldy, there's the issue of losing it in a struggle, or another family member hesitating to handle it in an emergency.

You could get an 18 inch barrel, and that is pretty easy to handle, even indoors, if needed. You'd also have the option of buying a second, longer barrel if you ever wanted to hunt with it. Study up on what kind of buckshot you'd be interested in. Obviously, 00 buckshot is the standard for protection, this would give you 12 roughly 33 caliber pellets. You can also get 000 buckshot, which has 8-9 even larger pellets. There are even some loads that are supposed to be "low recoil" to lessen the kick.

They also make "bean bag" rounds for shotguns, that will put a painful wallop on someone, but not likely kill them. Those are strictly close-up situations, though. Not sure if the general public can buy them. Not a good idea for most scenarios.

SicEmBaylor
12/29/2012, 05:00 PM
I don't own any weapons.

Intellectual or otherwise.

GDC
12/29/2012, 05:05 PM
I keep a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip next to my bed for home defense. I like the way the pistol grip looks and it is more compact.

Turd_Ferguson
12/29/2012, 05:29 PM

Concur.

pphilfran
12/29/2012, 05:46 PM
Probably more personal preference than anything...I was raised with standard stocks so that is my liking...

I use my old Ithaca Featherlight for home protection...

jk the sooner fan
12/29/2012, 06:21 PM
cleller said it well - really its what feels most comfortable to you

some like the pistol grip - some don't.....there's a tactical advantage (albeit slight) with a pistol grip model

my 870 is the one without

diverdog
12/29/2012, 08:33 PM
Probably more personal preference than anything...I was raised with standard stocks so that is my liking...

I use my old Ithaca Featherlight for home protection...

Phil:

That is a nice gun. You should take care of it.

olevetonahill
12/29/2012, 08:34 PM
Phil:

I polish my "GUN" regularly

rock on sooner
12/29/2012, 09:18 PM

Do you "blue" the stock and clean the sight?

diverdog
12/29/2012, 09:23 PM

At your age that thing probably needs a lot of work.

rock on sooner
12/29/2012, 09:25 PM

That's why I asked about bluing and cleaning...:biggrin:

Turd_Ferguson
12/29/2012, 09:26 PM

The older the goat, the harder the horn...

rock on sooner
12/29/2012, 09:28 PM
The older the goat, the harder the horn...

Vet dreams about "harder", so I'm told....

yermom
12/29/2012, 09:44 PM
if you plan on shooting up a school at some point, you probably want to opt for the pistol grip

SoonerLaw09
12/29/2012, 10:02 PM
if you plan on shooting up a school at some point, you probably want to opt for the pistol grip

The only school I would think of shooting up is the one I graduated from, but that was so long ago there's probably nobody worth shooting there anymore.

SoonerLaw09
12/29/2012, 10:05 PM
Vet dreams about "harder", so I'm told....

Stop gheying up my thread!!!

[/BugsBunny]

olevetonahill
12/29/2012, 10:29 PM

Hell it so experienced it takes care of itself

StoopTroup
12/29/2012, 10:59 PM

I have a gun you could orally pleasure while I'm lubing it up for you however I'm a happily married man who's not into balding metrosexuals.

nutinbutdust
12/29/2012, 11:19 PM
What are the advantages/disadvantages of a pistol grip shotgun as opposed to a standard stock? Going to purchase a Remy 870 and would like some opinionated type info.

Like it has been said, it is mostly a matter of personal preference. It is easy to change the stock over to a hand grip. If you can find one they run any where from $30 to $100. The reason I say if you can find one is that everyone is buying that stuff like crazy. It is hard to find magazines and accessories like pistol grips. The gun shops are calling it the Obama Gun Stimulus Package. Here's 13 pages of Remington 870 stock accessories LINK (http://www.midwayusa.com/find?usersearchquery=remington+870+stock&itemsperpage=12&pageNumber=1)

StoopTroup
12/29/2012, 11:22 PM
Or buy both types. I mean...you can buy two really nice shotguns (and I mean...really nice) for under $2000. You can even have a street sweeper clip on them for a bit more. Nothing like having a butt load of rounds in a shotgun.

I like the Benelli M4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwBahpQoJJ8

I think Sports World here in Tulsa had an M4 overpriced for around $925 last time I was there. Of course...start adding features to one of get a Tactical that is built for you and the price starts to rise quite a bit.

SicEmBaylor
12/29/2012, 11:27 PM
I have a gun you could orally pleasure while I'm lubing it up for you however I'm a happily married man who's not into balding metrosexuals.
You've taken this to a weird place now. I'm going to back away slowly while you continue to publicly air your suppressed homosexual fantasies. NTTAWWT

StoopTroup
12/29/2012, 11:35 PM
Here's a "Like New" one....$425

http://www.gunsamerica.com/989032628/BENELLI_NOVA_TACTICAL_12GAUGE.htm

BENELLI PUMP ACTION SHOTGUN ... 12 gauge ... 18 1/2" barrel ... 40 1/2" overall ... chambered for 2 3/4" or 3" or 3 1/2" shells ... adjustable ghost ring sights ... black synthetic stock and slide ... 3/4" recoil pad ... weight 7 lbs 12 oz ... four round, Tac Star ammo holder on the left side of the receiver ... quick detach, adjustable sling. Manufactured in Italy.

This gun is from the estate of an elderly gentleman who fortunately, did not need to use it. The gun is in 'like new' condition. Call with any questions and see our other listings for ... "Only the best!"

StoopTroup
12/29/2012, 11:37 PM
You've taken this to a weird place now. I'm going to back away slowly while you continue to publicly air your suppressed homosexual fantasies. NTTAWWT

I believe you were the one that started with the weird stuff. Hell....even the idea of a Baylor Fan hanging around a Sooner Football Message Board for years is enough proof that you are indeed fascinated with penis envy by hanging here for years.

pphilfran
12/30/2012, 08:35 AM
Phil:

I know it...my Dad bought it new in 1949...it was my learner gun as a pre teen...my dove slayer...I was always proud of my shoulder bruises...

He confiscated it back when I turned 16 I got an A5 Sweet 16 in exchange....

He then had a vent rib and poly choke on the Ithaca...bummer

The purchase of the Sweet 16 is a story in itself...

We went down to a local Lawton pawn shop to look at their new Brownings...the guy had 40 or 50 new ones still in the box...something like $200 each...when he handed the gun over he took out the warranty info and tore it up...Said " We wouldn't be needing this."

When we got back to the car I asked him why we didn't get the warranty...

Dad told me it was supposedly a gun from a stolen shipment..

BigTip
12/30/2012, 11:12 AM
The reason I say if you can find one is that everyone is buying that stuff like crazy. It is hard to find magazines and accessories like pistol grips. The gun shops are calling it the Obama Gun Stimulus Package.

The gun store next to me told me that they have had the two biggest sales days in their history last week. They have been open over 30 years. It is amazing.

okiewaker
12/30/2012, 11:52 AM
I prefer having a stock over a pistol grip, prolly cause that's what I mainly shot throughout the years.

I've shot many shotguns but my favorite, and the one I use for home D, is my Ithaca M37 featherlight, think 1970.

bluedogok
12/30/2012, 05:41 PM
The gun store next to me told me that they have had the two biggest sales days in their history last week. They have been open over 30 years. It is amazing.
We went to the Bass Pro here in Denver yesterday, there were about 15 handguns total in the cases and people everywhere. I dropped my wife off at the St. Nicks Christmas store and headed down to Grand Prix Motorcycles & Guns in, they had many more than Bass Pro but had the cards pulled on many display models including most of the Glocks. They did have a few S&W M&P 15 for sale at what looked like "regular" prices. I am consider the Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm which they have in stock. I am also considering one of the Mossberg 500 Combo, I have always been interested in clays and thought that one with the home defense and field barrels was a good starting point.

One of the employees at Grand Prix said they have run about 13,000 background checks through CBI this month. There was an article today in the paper about how that CBI department has a backlog of 11,000 applications and what took 23 minutes in November now is over a week. The gun show was a madhouse yesterday from all reports.

SoonerorLater
12/30/2012, 06:56 PM
If ALL you want the shotgun for is home defense I would say there is little difference. My own preference as strictly a defensive weapon would be a tactical shotgun with a regular stock especially if you are going to ever use slugs.

SoonerLaw09
12/31/2012, 10:31 AM
We went to the Bass Pro here in Denver yesterday, there were about 15 handguns total in the cases and people everywhere. I dropped my wife off at the St. Nicks Christmas store and headed down to Grand Prix Motorcycles & Guns in, they had many more than Bass Pro but had the cards pulled on many display models including most of the Glocks. They did have a few S&W M&P 15 for sale at what looked like "regular" prices. I am consider the Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm which they have in stock. I am also considering one of the Mossberg 500 Combo, I have always been interested in clays and thought that one with the home defense and field barrels was a good starting point.

One of the employees at Grand Prix said they have run about 13,000 background checks through CBI this month. There was an article today in the paper about how that CBI department has a backlog of 11,000 applications and what took 23 minutes in November now is over a week. The gun show was a madhouse yesterday from all reports.

Thanks for all the advice folks. Has anybody noticed any shortages here in OKC metro (besides AR-15s I mean)? Academy's stock was a little low but they said they were getting a new shipment in this week. H&H is also keeping up, except for the aforementioned "platform rifles" which apparently have all been bought out and you can't even get on a waiting list now...it may be 6-12 months before their available again. By then the ban bill may have passed.

StoopTroup
12/31/2012, 03:16 PM
Look at the mossberg 930 spx if you can find one.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/10/bryan-hyde/gun-review-mossberg-930-spx-tactical-shotgun/

Did you read the comments on the Mossberg on that link? Those are great if money is a problem and you just want to scare the crap out of someone. If you are going to put your life in danger...I'd go with a Remington 1100 or 870 pump or like I said the Benelli Nova, Super Nova or the M4 Super 90.

Curly Bill
12/31/2012, 03:17 PM
As for assault rifles - the Sig Sauer 516 I bought a month ago for $1,410 was selling for $1,749 two days ago from the same place. Except of course they were out of stock.

StoopTroup
12/31/2012, 03:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c

MR2-Sooner86
12/31/2012, 05:32 PM
No love for the Saiga-12?

StoopTroup
12/31/2012, 05:51 PM
I've got kids so yes I am. I can get to a Weapon pretty quick though....plus...if you think I cant hold you off with a pellet gun....you are gonna be blind in at least one eye before it's all over.

I like the 870. I sold more of them that any other shotgun.

Also....if you saw my other link...you can buy a used Benelli for $425 to keep around if you are afraid of losing a shotgun. Matter of fact...I also have a 12 ga. Super Nova that I bought for $300 at a gun show. It's got OO Buck in it too. I didn't get the box with it but I did get all the chokes. I really enjoyed shooting it.

olevetonahill
12/31/2012, 06:03 PM
Are you going to lock up your shotgun every time you leave? Otherwise, if someone breaks in you would have your benelli stolen. As I said in my earlier post, mossberg 500 or rem 870 pump are cheap enough even if stolen and the sound of the pump may be enough to scare off an intruder.

Scare em off My asz , If they have the balls to come in my shack I got the Balls to just shoot theirs off

pphilfran
12/31/2012, 06:06 PM
Scare em off My asz , If they have the balls to come in my shack I got the Balls to just shoot theirs off

The sound of you racking in a shell tells them you gotz the balls to shoot theirs...

StoopTroup
12/31/2012, 06:07 PM
I don't want to shoot anyone unless I have to but if after a warning from me to get the heck out....you are in grave danger.

olevetonahill
12/31/2012, 06:41 PM
The sound of you racking in a shell tells them you gotz the balls to shoot theirs...

The sound of THEM breakin in Tells me they got the Balls Ima remove.

I dont want to Scare em off and send em on down to some ones 80 year old Aunts shack
Ima End their criminal career Right now.

pphilfran
12/31/2012, 06:54 PM
The sound of THEM breakin in Tells me they got the Balls Ima remove.

I dont want to Scare em off and send em on down to some ones 80 year old Aunts shack
Ima End their criminal career Right now.

I like your thought process...

Curly Bill
12/31/2012, 06:55 PM
Yup, someone breaks into my house they ain't gonna be no warnings.

bluedogok
12/31/2012, 06:58 PM
Once they cross a door threshold or window sill, then all bets should be off. They have already shown how far they are willing to go.

olevetonahill
12/31/2012, 07:28 PM
Once they cross a door threshold or window sill, then all bets should be off. They have already shown how far they are willing to go.

Oh No lets just scare em!
Hell yea Ima scare em. Ima scare em to hell

jk the sooner fan
12/31/2012, 09:30 PM
warning shots inside the home are a horrible idea

sanantoniosooner
12/31/2012, 09:32 PM
I think the point is that it's better to avoid a firefight if possible.

I have no intention of showing mercy should I get them in my sights, but I'd rather not get in a shootout with family around.

And that's just about racking the gun...not warning shots.

StoopTroup
12/31/2012, 09:42 PM

I have no intention of showing mercy should I get them in my sights, but I'd rather not get in a shootout with family around.

I agree. I don't live out in the boonies and I have to think about where a round might go. Shotgun is the best idea for us here. No rifled slugs and it's a good idea to make sure you aren't shooting some youngster who is just breaking in for some Sonic or Candy money or even just the kids XBOX. No reason to kill someone over their first mistake.

If you are busting in to take me and my Family Hostage and I get the drop on you and ask you to leave....you better make a move towards the door.

sanantoniosooner
12/31/2012, 09:50 PM
When I was younger I was on the way home and the roads were so bad that I stopped by my uncles house to stay. I had a key and knew the alarm code but I mistakenly chose the wrong door so I couldn't turn the alarm off immediately. Had my uncle shot first without looking closer I would not be alive today.

olevetonahill
12/31/2012, 09:54 PM

SAS Only an Idiot WANTS to kill , Only an Idiot is afraid to when their Life or family are threatened

StoopTroup
12/31/2012, 09:54 PM
When I was younger I was on the way home and the roads were so bad that I stopped by my uncles house to stay. I had a key and knew the alarm code but I mistakenly chose the wrong door so I couldn't turn the alarm off immediately. Had my uncle shot first without looking closer I would not be alive today.

Good story. Great Example of a family member maybe just coming by to check on you and you and him getting involved in a tragic mistake.

olevetonahill
12/31/2012, 09:58 PM

Sorry, But if it was Late /early morning. Why couldnt you have Knocked on the front door?

sanantoniosooner
12/31/2012, 10:00 PM
SAS Only an Idiot WANTS to kill , Only an Idiot is afraid to when their Life or family are threatened

The debate here seems to be if it's a good idea to have a shotgun that announces itself and give the intruder a chance to leave before it gets ugly. I side with yes...and not because I'm a pansy.

sanantoniosooner
12/31/2012, 10:01 PM
Sorry, But if it was Late /early morning. Why couldnt you have Knocked on the front door?

Because young people can over think things and make stupid decisions.

Curly Bill
12/31/2012, 10:05 PM
The debate here seems to be if it's a good idea to have a shotgun that announces itself and give the intruder a chance to leave before it gets ugly. I side with yes...and not because I'm a pansy.

I'm all for identifying who's inside so I don't shoot a loved one, but once that's accomplished I'm not giving a bad guy any warning - his warning was when he should have noticed my door/window was locked so as to keep him out.

olevetonahill
12/31/2012, 10:09 PM

I'm all for identifying who's inside so I don't shoot a loved one, but once that's accomplished I'm not giving a bad guy any warning - his warning was when he should have noticed my door/window was locked so as to keep him out.

Ok then ONLY a ****ing idiot Fires at an Unidentified target

I live in the woods I know if some needs a warnin or a Killin
If My Dogs aint warned em off then Rackin a Shot gun aint gonna change their minds

Curly Bill
12/31/2012, 10:32 PM
Ok then ONLY a ****ing idiot Fires at an Unidentified target

I live in the woods I know if some needs a warnin or a Killin
If My Dogs aint warned em off then Rackin a Shot gun aint gonna change their minds

Word! Whether you're hunting or defending yourself or your family, there's no excuse for shooting a target you're not 100% sure what it is.

olevetonahill
12/31/2012, 11:04 PM
Word! Whether you're hunting or defending yourself or your family, there's no excuse for shooting a target you're not 100% sure what it is.

Is that just NOT common sense ? Identify yer Target , Make sure of yer Back stop then take the shot.

Curly Bill
12/31/2012, 11:08 PM
Is that just NOT common sense ? Identify yer Target , Make sure of yer Back stop then take the shot.

Common sense to me, but too many people don't have any of that these days.

...a lot of whom post here! ;)

sanantoniosooner
12/31/2012, 11:15 PM
Well...common sense goes way further than just how someone says they'd handle a crisis situation.

olevetonahill
12/31/2012, 11:22 PM
Well...common sense goes way further than just how someone says they'd handle a crisis situation.

Say what? Ok there are a Lot of Blow hards Ill give you that. Yet there a Lot of us who have been there done that,

If You or anyone else dont think you can use the common sense to shoot /Not Shoot then Please leave the ****in Guns at the gun store

sanantoniosooner
12/31/2012, 11:32 PM
The good news is I'm responsible for my business and you are responsible for yours.

I don't waste time worrying about either.

jk the sooner fan
12/31/2012, 11:32 PM
truth - the idea that the sound of a shotgun is somehow going to magically make the boogey man go away - is really not a bet i want to take to vegas

it may work now and then - but odds are just as great that it wont.......if you see a target in your house and you feel threatened - you fire

firing an indiscriminate warning shot is a really bad idea...i understand the logic for the opposite side of this argument - but it's faulty thinking as far as home defense goes

imo anyway - do what makes you feel warm and safe - thats really all that matters - you're the one that has to live with it

olevetonahill
12/31/2012, 11:34 PM
The good news is I'm responsible for my business and you are responsible for yours.

I don't waste time worrying about either.

You go then.

sanantoniosooner
12/31/2012, 11:37 PM
Go where?

I'm not sure I understand the attitude.

olevetonahill
12/31/2012, 11:42 PM
Go where?

I'm not sure I understand the attitude.

No attitude Bro. You go an be responsible for YOU, Ill kill whoever comes in my shack uninvited. Pretty simple

StoopTroup
12/31/2012, 11:45 PM
Pretty stupid

jk the sooner fan
12/31/2012, 11:49 PM
stupid?

no, i dont think so

anybody that wanders into my house uninvited is a threat - i wont take the time (i.e. risk) to figure out why they are there and get into a game of 20 questions.......the law allows me to protect my home with deadly force. if the bad guy turns out to be an accidental tourist, thats a decision i'll have to live with - just as i'd have to live with the same decision if the bad guy were really a bad guy

i dont take using deadly force lightly - and the ramifications are no less mitigated by the quality of the character of the intruder

sanantoniosooner
1/1/2013, 12:10 AM
No attitude Bro. You go an be responsible for YOU, Ill kill whoever comes in my shack uninvited. Pretty simple

Pretty much what I said. Not sure what kind of response "you go then" is.

jk the sooner fan
1/1/2013, 12:11 AM
Pretty much what I said. Not sure what kind of response "you go then" is.

kind of like 'you go girl" - not as in "you go away to another place" but "you go" as in "ok then"

sanantoniosooner
1/1/2013, 12:15 AM
OK...good to know I have permission, or even a mandate :-)

yermom
1/1/2013, 12:19 AM
truth - the idea that the sound of a shotgun is somehow going to magically make the boogey man go away - is really not a bet i want to take to vegas

it may work now and then - but odds are just as great that it wont.......if you see a target in your house and you feel threatened - you fire

firing an indiscriminate warning shot is a really bad idea...i understand the logic for the opposite side of this argument - but it's faulty thinking as far as home defense goes

imo anyway - do what makes you feel warm and safe - thats really all that matters - you're the one that has to live with it

warning shots eh?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/11/justice/florida-stand-ground-sentencing/index.html

yep. sounds like a bad idea.

sanantoniosooner
1/1/2013, 12:25 AM
warning shots eh?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/11/justice/florida-stand-ground-sentencing/index.html

yep. sounds like a bad idea.

I missed whoever advocated a warning shot, but it sounds like a stupid idea regardless of situation.

The story you linked really doesn't make any worthwhile point that I can tell.

yermom
1/1/2013, 12:28 AM
i'm agreeing with jk. not everything is about you :D

she would have been better off shooting the stupid bastard. the warning shot got her 20 years on "assault" since it was gun related

sanantoniosooner
1/1/2013, 12:32 AM
And I agreed though I don't know who is disagreeing.

Mr Dooshy.

C&CDean
1/1/2013, 05:30 PM
The "warning shot" is when the gun goes "boom" ---- right before the projectile/s head down range.

Yeah, a guy is in my hallway and I'm just gonna **** up the ceiling or shoot one of my kids sleeping upstairs to warn him? Riiiiight.

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 05:42 PM
Having kids makes one think a bunch.

olevetonahill
1/1/2013, 05:43 PM
The "warning shot" is when the gun goes "boom" ---- right before the projectile/s head down range.

Yeah, a guy is in my hallway and I'm just gonna **** up the ceiling or shoot one of my kids sleeping upstairs to warn him? Riiiiight.

Kinda My thots bro. The cleaning lady just gonna have some blood splatter to clean when she comes

Wishboned
1/1/2013, 05:47 PM
Kinda My thots bro. The cleaning lady just gonna have some blood splatter to clean when she comes

Sue his survivors for the cleaning costs.

olevetonahill
1/1/2013, 05:51 PM
Sue his survivors for the cleaning costs.

And the cost of the shell, maybe throw in some aggravation

C&CDean
1/1/2013, 06:53 PM
And loss of sex from the spouse cause the POS caused me some coitus interruptis when he popped in.

olevetonahill
1/1/2013, 06:59 PM
And loss of sex from the spouse cause the POS caused me some coitus interruptis when he popped in.

That bastage, Ya orta shoot him again

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 07:01 PM
Don't expect the wife to be happy about cleaning up your kill....

nutinbutdust
1/1/2013, 07:14 PM
I would have to agree with the ID your target first - camp. This brings to mind a story about a good friend of mine in High School. He was crawlin into his girl friends window one night when her dad thought he was a burgler. He found himself looking down the barrel of a 12 guage shotgun, wielded by her dad. All I could ask him when he told me about it was, "Was he more pissed off when he thought you were a burgler or when he figured out who you were?" :chuncky: He said he thought it was when her dad thought he was a burgler.