PDA

View Full Version : Saunders to play? McGee not?

murray1430
12/28/2012, 07:55 PM
Is it true or has anyone heard?

BoulderSooner79
12/28/2012, 08:04 PM
That's what is posted on soonersports.com. The 2 situations are very different. Saunders hasn't been around long enough to get into much trouble while McGee has (and taken full advantage).

I will now be forced to happily change my prediction to an OU victory in the Cotton bowl as the previous prediction was based on not have Saunders available. I had not factored in McGee being gone and that will hurt, but I don't see it being enough to change the outcome.

olevetonahill
12/28/2012, 08:09 PM
NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- No. 12 Oklahoma has suspended defensive tackle Stacy McGee after he was arrested on a charge of driving under the influence of alcohol on Christmas Eve.

Coach Bob Stoops announced Friday that McGee wouldn't travel with the Sooners (10-2) for the Cotton Bowl or play against No. 10 Texas A&M (10-2) in the Jan. 4 game. McGee was previously suspended for the first six games of the regular season.

Stoops also says that receiver Jalen Saunders will play in the Cotton Bowl despite being charged this month with misdemeanor marijuana possession.

The university released a statement saying that the information surrounding the two players' arrests and their history are unique and resulted in the different decisions.

StoopTroup
12/28/2012, 08:26 PM
So it only takes 1 month to sober up from MJ. This is good news for you on campus potheads.

8timechamps
12/28/2012, 08:29 PM
Since we'll never know what was going on with McGee early in the year, I can only guess that it has something to do with Stoops decision.

The only way to be sure you'll play is to stay out of trouble...which most of our guys do.

StoopTroup
12/28/2012, 08:35 PM
The only way to be sure you'll play is to stay out of trouble...which most of our guys do.

I agree. Most do. It sucks when a couple make everyone else suspect.

murray1430
12/28/2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks for clarifying gentlemen.

Soonerjeepman
12/29/2012, 12:15 AM
one article said S McGee had been busted in Feb for dope as well and Saunders has never been in trouble.

Soonerfan88
12/29/2012, 12:16 AM
Since we'll never know what was going on with McGee early in the year, I can only guess that it has something to do with Stoops decision.

Well he's obviously done something stupid before since he had a suspended license. Even if it was for unpaid parking tickets, it was stupid to let it go that long.

VA Sooner
12/29/2012, 09:39 AM
Good to have Jalen back. Bad that McGee can't help but then again, it's time for Jordan Phillips to step up and show us how next year will pan out.

OkieThunderLion
12/29/2012, 03:44 PM
McGee has had a long track record of stupid, and numerous suspensions.

Let the Saunders case play out. If he's found guilty, he'll get his one game suspension next fall.

8timechamps
12/29/2012, 06:02 PM
Good to have Jalen back. Bad that McGee can't help but then again, it's time for Jordan Phillips to step up and show us how next year will pan out.

In a strange way, this may have been a good thing for next year. Phillips will have to play more now, and nothing beats experience.

VA Sooner
12/29/2012, 06:51 PM
Agree... this is better for us in that Phillips is a stud and needs more playing time. I think he'll be fine in the middle.

OU_Sooners75
12/29/2012, 08:14 PM
the thing I'm hearing from another site is that the Saunders situation is looking like charges being dropped on Saunders.

Rumor has it, it wasn't his car, the weed was shoved in back seat, and old. So they can't tell if it was his or not.

McGee, he was given ample time to get his head on straight. I'm not sure about any of you, but good riddance to him.

He knew he was on his last chance. He screwed it up. I'm just blown away by how these kids think nowadays. You havfe everything handed to you. It gets taken away for a short bit of time. Then you act like you care. They give it back and you become the immature kid again and revert.

Stupid....just stupid!

OU_Sooners75
12/29/2012, 08:17 PM

Since who doesn't know what he did to get suspended earlier in the year?

We may not know the exact details, but he was suspended for failing a school drug/alcohol test.

SoonerNomad
12/31/2012, 05:37 PM
the thing I'm hearing from another site is that the Saunders situation is looking like charges being dropped on Saunders.

Rumor has it, it wasn't his car, the weed was shoved in back seat, and old. So they can't tell if it was his or not.

McGee, he was given ample time to get his head on straight. I'm not sure about any of you, but good riddance to him.

He knew he was on his last chance. He screwed it up. I'm just blown away by how these kids think nowadays. You havfe everything handed to you. It gets taken away for a short bit of time. Then you act like you care. They give it back and you become the immature kid again and revert.

Stupid....just stupid!

If this is true, then I am a little more comfortable with the decision not to have him sit out the bowl game. I have always liked Coach Stoops approach to discipline in that it a case be case basis. A college football coach doesn't have to worry about adhering to the constitution and I don't mean that flippantly. He sees them. He knows them. He looks them in the eye. He knows which ones are remorseful and which ones are not. He knows which ones have pushed the limits before. This is an approach that led to second chances for Everage, and Dvoracek and McGruder and Broyles (to name a few) but not for the likes of Rawls and Bomar. He's been wrong a couple of times, but for the most part I believe he does a good job of analyzing these situations.

I read Saunders quotes in the Oklahoman the other day and he sounded like someone very lucky to have the opportunity to play on Friday and "blessed" with a second chance. Didn't read like someone that was getting off on a technicality, but instead like someone that made a mistake that he knows he cannot make again. Let's hope that's true.