PDA

View Full Version : Social Security $47.8 Billion Deficit FY 2012

sappstuf
12/27/2012, 02:10 AM
The CBO projected $30 billion just 2 years ago.

Here is a handy link from the SSA to verify the number. Just punch in 2012, click fiscal and you will get the results.

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/ProgData/allOps.html

So lets compare the facts from SSA to statements from leading Democrats...

Durbin: Social Security does not add one penny to the deficit . Social Security untouched will make every promised payment for more than 25 years.

Schumer: Social Security, however, does not contribute one penny to the deficit and won’t until 2037.

Reid: Social Security has contributed not a single penny to the deficit. So we can talk about entitlements as long as you eliminate Social Security. . . . Social Security is not part of the problem we have in America with the deficit.

Lew: [L]ooking to the next two decades, Social Security does not cause our deficits.Social Security benefits are entirely self-financing.

There is no spin here... This isn't some vague policy where people can have different opinions. This is math... Something that Dems seem to have a severe issue with.

How can we have a national discussion about our deficit when Dems are either too ignorant to understand how SS works or are just plain lying about it?

diverdog
12/27/2012, 03:20 AM
It is SSI that is hurting us. I think congress really needs to look at eligibility requirements. We have a lot of drunks and druggies on SSI.

Midtowner
12/27/2012, 08:01 AM
It is SSI that is hurting us. I think congress really needs to look at eligibility requirements. We have a lot of drunks and druggies on SSI.

Truth. I once met a woman who was on full disability because she was a "slow learner."

A slow learner can sack groceries.

olevetonahill
12/27/2012, 08:06 AM
SSI has NOTHING to do with Social Security except Name And you go thru the SS office to apply

http://www.moneymatters101.com/socialsecurity/supplementalincome.asp

badger
12/27/2012, 09:24 AM
There might be a deficit for FY 2012, but I think we're all aware of how much of a surplus SS had for years... which turned into government IOUs.

So yeah, social security has some back-pay due to it from the government for awhile.