PDA

View Full Version : WHERE AAAAARE YOU? Hey, finding you is a piece of cake! New York starts ball rolling

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/27/2012, 02:05 AM
http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/newspaper-gun-owners-map/2012/12/26/id/469039?s=al&promo_code=114AC-1

diverdog
12/27/2012, 03:27 AM
Wow oh wow. That ain't good. I bet the paper loses its readership. If I lived up there I would be furious. Wonder if any employees of the paper was on that list.

Soonerjeepman
12/27/2012, 09:00 AM
sounds like a lot of folks are like...ah well, that's the world we live in...crazy just crazy. Honestly DD, I'm surprised you feel this way.

okie52
12/27/2012, 09:13 AM
The newspapers employees names and addresses were published by an attorney following the newspaper's outing gun owners. The public has a right to know.

cleller
12/27/2012, 01:24 PM
Some gun rights group responded by putting out the names and addresses of these newspaper people.

http://news.yahoo.com/newspaper-published-gun-owner-addresses-gets-staffs-outed-144657471.html

Midtowner
12/27/2012, 02:10 PM
Actually, this would be a brilliant way for gun manufacturers to sell more guns.

badger
12/27/2012, 02:34 PM
I remember when a student newspaper in Wisconsin thought it would be a good idea to post the names of students selling Rose Bowl tickets a few years ago and labeling the worst.

Now that Wisconsin is going to its third consecutive Rose Bowl (eat a B1G traitorous dick, Nebrasky!), I doubt the students are getting the same resale value

TitoMorelli
12/27/2012, 02:55 PM
Actually, this would be a brilliant way for gun manufacturers to sell more guns.

Yep - kinda like having an internet "This house protected by Smith & Wesson" sticker.

olevetonahill
12/27/2012, 03:14 PM
sounds like a lot of folks are like...ah well, that's the world we live in...crazy just crazy. Honestly DD, I'm surprised you feel this way.

DD's Alright Hes just a tad Left of center on most things Whacked out on a few , But dead on a few others

KantoSooner
12/27/2012, 03:28 PM
What's most interesting to me is to step back for a minute and think about why the paper published to start with.
It was not some sort of weird public service to 'let people know where the guns were in their neighborhoods'; that is pointless or counterproductive to any conceivable purpose.
Nope.
It was an attempt to 'shame' gun owners. As though gun owners would somehow be uncomfortable if their neighbors knew that they, 'gasp!', owned guns.
I don't really think anything negative is going to come of it (as many potential theives will steer clear of armed houses, I would think as would be drawn to try and steal the gun), but find it fascinating that the editorial board of this paper would consider gun ownership to be a stigma.
Very different part of the country.

olevetonahill
12/27/2012, 03:33 PM
Kanto , Its a Bunch of Liberal Dayum Yankees what ya expect?

KantoSooner
12/27/2012, 03:38 PM
Interestingly, Colt Arms is in Connecticut, if I recall. Henry is in NYC, and so forth. A lot of upstate/rural areas up there are kind of 'Frozen Alabama' in terms of social attitudes.
I'm always kind of surprised when I encounter people with views that far from my own. I just find it very hard to accept such people as logical.

okie52
12/27/2012, 03:54 PM
Interestingly, Colt Arms is in Connecticut, if I recall. Henry is in NYC, and so forth. A lot of upstate/rural areas up there are kind of 'Frozen Alabama' in terms of social attitudes.
I'm always kind of surprised when I encounter people with views that far from my own. I just find it very hard to accept such people as logical.

I meet people all of the time that seem normal at social gatherings and then open their mouths about politics and.........

olevetonahill
12/27/2012, 04:09 PM
I meet people all of the time that seem normal at social gatherings and then open their mouths about politics and.........

You've Met Matlock and H 2-0? Why?

okie52
12/27/2012, 04:17 PM
You've Met Matlock and H 2-0? Why?

Heh, well maybe I have. Wait, are Matlock and H2-O 2 different people?

olevetonahill
12/27/2012, 04:32 PM
Heh, well maybe I have. Wait, are Matlock and H2-O 2 different people?

Yea Matlock is that Mid Lawyer dude. H2-0 is that Hawaiian dude:chuncky:

okie52
12/27/2012, 04:37 PM
Yea Matlock is that Mid Lawyer dude. H2-0 is that Hawaiian dude:chuncky:

Ahh, I was just thinking the 5-0 alias H2-0 was getting all of the credit.

12/27/2012, 04:39 PM
Yea Matlock is that Mid Lawyer dude. H2-0 is that Hawaiian dude:chuncky:How did you come up with Matlock for him? I glorified him with the name Mr.Schumer recently, but I'm not sure that either name is the best fit.

SCOUT
12/27/2012, 04:43 PM

Remington has a big plant in upstate New York too

olevetonahill
12/27/2012, 04:51 PM
How did you come up with Matlock for him? I glorified him with the name Mr.Schumer recently, but I'm not sure that either name is the best fit.

Well hell bro, Cant you read? He KNOWs everything and has an answer for everyone and in His Mind he's always right in the end .That and he's just as Fake as Matlock

12/27/2012, 06:58 PM
Well hell bro, Cant you read? He KNOWs everything and has an answer for everyone and in His Mind he's always right in the end .That and he's just as Fake as MatlockThat's right. But, I was focusing on his Leftist Devotion. (the honorable Senator Matlock Schumer?)

SanJoaquinSooner
12/27/2012, 07:53 PM
It's just registered hand guns, right? It doesn't say anything about if there are shotguns or rifles in the homes.

12/27/2012, 07:56 PM
It's just registered hand guns, right? It doesn't say anything about if there are shotguns or rifles in the homes.a little bit of tyranny is OK. just as long as they don't do X !!!

sappstuf
12/28/2012, 02:57 AM
According to the FBI here (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8), not the NRA or any other right-wing group... The FBI reports that there were 323 homicides by rifle in 2011 versus 6220 handguns and 1694 by knife.

Hell there were 496 homicides by blunt object and 728 by someone's bare hands... But rifles are the problem.

Right.

Wishboned
1/1/2013, 09:20 PM
And now that "newspaper" has hired ARMED security guards.

http://www.rocklandtimes.com/2013/01/01/the-journal-news-is-armed-and-dangerous/

1/1/2013, 09:31 PM
just hope businesses refuse to advertise with those punks.

bluedogok
1/1/2013, 09:35 PM
It shows the urban/suburban-rural divide more than anything else. Most of the burbs and rural areas in the states are much more conservative than the urban areas. The "state color" doesn't show the true makeup of a population, the county color maps are a much more accurate indicator.

StoopTroup
1/1/2013, 09:40 PM
Kanto , Its a Bunch of Liberal Dayum Yankees what ya expect?

Says the Dude from California

okie52
1/1/2013, 09:51 PM
According to the FBI here (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8), not the NRA or any other right-wing group... The FBI reports that there were 323 homicides by rifle in 2011 versus 6220 handguns and 1694 by knife.

Hell there were 496 homicides by blunt object and 728 by someone's bare hands... But rifles are the problem.

Right.

I've been surprised at the virtual omission of handguns from the gun control debate while focusing on the least deadly element.

olevetonahill
1/1/2013, 09:53 PM
And now that "newspaper" has hired ARMED security guards.

http://www.rocklandtimes.com/2013/01/01/the-journal-news-is-armed-and-dangerous/

heh, Typical Lib yankee B.S.

bluedogok
1/1/2013, 09:54 PM
I've been surprised at the virtual omission of handguns from the gun control debate while focusing on the least deadly element.
Because it is more about appearing to do something than really doing something....that is what politicians excel in doing. Also the gun control nuts know it is something that will have to be done in incremental steps, spin the media and whip followers into a frenzy. Focusing on the big gun also allows them to try and sneak other provisions into the bill under cover, just mere diversionary tactics...politics as usual.

okie52
1/2/2013, 12:10 AM
Because it is more about appearing to do something than really doing something....that is what politicians excel in doing. Also the gun control nuts know it is something that will have to be done in incremental steps, spin the media and whip followers into a frenzy. Focusing on the big gun also allows them to try and sneak other provisions into the bill under cover, just mere diversionary tactics...politics as usual.

It's the popular target for now, for sure. But if removing gun violence is the goal they're attacking it with the same sense of proportion as they do the deficit.

1/2/2013, 12:53 AM
It's the popular target for now, for sure. But if removing gun violence is the goal they're attacking it with the same sense of proportion as they do the deficit.Not sure the deficit is really important to any politician...except, when talking as if you are trying to conquer it makes sense. They have incredible patience, but are relentless. It's the camel sticking his nose under the tent thingy.

nutinbutdust
1/2/2013, 01:26 AM
I thought this was interesting.... LINK (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/02/us-usa-guns-newspaper-idUSBRE9000BT20130102)

“Putnam County Clerk Dennis Sant said he would defy a request for information about pistol permit holders from the White Plains, New York-based Journal News, which has come under criticism for publishing thousands of such identities already,” reuters reports. ”‘There is the rule of law, and there is right and wrong and the Journal News is clearly wrong,’ Sant said in a statement. ‘I could not live with myself if one Putnam pistol permit holder was put in harm’s way, for the sole purpose of selling newspapers.

okie52
1/2/2013, 01:31 AM
Feinsteins bill, as I understood it, would ban any gun capable of accepting mags >10 rounds. Basically, that is every semi automatic handgun. No way that gets passed, but it was listed.

Saw that...I thought she was going even more draconian than that like banning clips with greater than 6 rounds but I could be wrong.

sappstuf
1/7/2013, 08:11 AM
Rockland County sheriff Louis Falco told Newsday that he was appalled to learn that inmates at the county’s jail were taunting guards in the days after the Journal News published its map. “They have inmates coming up to them and telling them exactly where they live,” Falco said. “That’s not acceptable to me.” Charlotte Swift, of Orangetown, says she experienced a flood of emotion when she first saw the list: “I originally obtained a gun permit because I had previously been married to a man who attempted to strangle me. . . . The first emotion I felt was, ‘Oh my gosh, he can find me.’”

Ironically, some of the harshest critics of the Journal News’s decision to publish the map are former burglars, such as Walter T. Shaw, an ex-burglar whom the FBI blames for more than 3,000 break-ins during the 1960s and 1970s. Shaw told Fox News: “Having a list of who has a gun is like gold — why rob that house when you can hit the one next door, where there are no guns?”

1/7/2013, 02:10 PM
Judge Pirro sounds off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yw3sZ_reY8&feature=player_embedded

Midtowner
1/7/2013, 02:12 PM
Judge Piro sounds off:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jxABvvDOPvE?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Judge sounds kinda funny.

1/7/2013, 02:19 PM
Try it again, with the correct url:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yw3sZ_reY8&feature=player_embedded

Midtowner
1/7/2013, 02:28 PM
She takes forever to make a point. Does she write her own prompter copy?

What this newspaper did was idiotic but totally legal as far as I can tell.

1/7/2013, 02:41 PM
What this newspaper did was idiotic but totally legal as far as I can tell.Not everything a Leftist or leftist organization does that's counter culture nor of their usual dubious wisdom is also illegal. Did someone say what that rag did was illegal? I haven't heard anyone make that accusation.

Midtowner
1/7/2013, 02:47 PM
Me neither, just making a casual observation. The actual graphic is pretty interesting though just from a facts standpoint. It's really interesting how all the permit owners are mostly clustered into certain areas. Perhaps this has use in the gerrymandering department?