PDA

View Full Version : road report?? Kansas? So Oklahoma?

jk the sooner fan
12/26/2012, 08:35 AM
ok, we're heading back to Dallas this morning from Nebraska - lots of snow on the ground up here already but roads are clear

it looks like I-35 north of OKC is "passable" with caution

however i'm not so sure about I-35 south of OKC

we wont hit OKC till around 1

how good is ODOT at working the interstates? will be ok or die an icy death?

BigTip
12/26/2012, 09:00 AM
They gave this road condition number on the news yesterday for Oklahoma.
(888) 425-2385

We had to postpone our Christmas gathering until today because we didn't want family in Clinton to try and get here to Norman in the crappy conditons yesterday. Hopefully the roads are clear today.

yermom
12/26/2012, 12:38 PM
I-35 from OKC to Norman wasn't exceedingly bad last night

i'm sure Kansas is clear. they turnpike like no one else.

badger
12/26/2012, 12:52 PM
Here's the snowfall report that Tulsa weather service just released:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/rtimages/tsa/gfe/ObsSnowAmt24hr.png

There was some morons that released hydrants in north Tulsa/Berryhill (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20121226_11_0_Street607810), resulting in some iced streets, but other than that, clear in the Tulsa area.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/26/2012, 01:29 PM
Here's the snowfall report that Tulsa weather service just released:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/rtimages/tsa/gfe/ObsSnowAmt24hr.png

There was some morons that released hydrants in north Tulsa/Berryhill (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20121226_11_0_Street607810), resulting in some iced streets, but other than that, clear in the Tulsa area.

Looks like vet and the deer got it good.

badger
12/26/2012, 01:37 PM
So baby badger (now 9 months old) got a bright green sled for Christmas. Since there was no snow in Tulsa, I sat her in it as I removed items from her stocking one by one. Here's about how it went down:

1- Big ringing sleigh bell ornament-like thing: Baby badger grabs it, then shakes vigorously for ringing effect.
2- "Baby paper" crinkle object with pink outcovering: After momma badger demonstrates that it crinkles, baby badger takes it... and proceeds to chew on the attached tag. Om nom nom
3- Pirate girl bell toy: Baby badger takes it, and shakes it. Jingle jingle jingle
4- Awww, someone gave her Elmo orajel... moving right along...
5- Baby food! HIDE IT FAST BEFORE SHE SEES IT AND DEMANDS SOMETHING TO EAT!
6- Wind-up toy: It is supposed to hop after winding, but fails. Eventually, it lands on its side and then unwinds. Whirrrrrrrrrr
7- All done, baby badger discovers that the sled has white ropes attached to it. She grabs the rope, and starts chewing. This continues for about 15 minutes, when she decides its time to go exploring. Outta the sled!

She's teething. It's cute. They're as sharp as kitten teeth.

pphilfran
12/26/2012, 01:43 PM
Actually, they are as sharp as baby badger teeth...

BajaOklahoma
12/26/2012, 01:54 PM
They got 6" of snow in Gainesville yesterday. The area along the Red River was supposed to be hit hard.

The bridge over Lake Lewisville was slow going this morning. The sun is out, melting the snow on the roads. All that means is it will be icy roads in the morning.
I have one coming in from St Louis tomorrow.

MsProudSooner
12/26/2012, 02:03 PM
Hopefully, highway 75 between Texas & Tulsa will be clear around noon Thursday.

olevetonahill
12/26/2012, 02:27 PM
Looks like vet and the deer got it good.

We got less than 3 inches. Its beginning to melt some.

The Roads will be fine, if not today Def. by tomorrow

rock on sooner
12/26/2012, 04:46 PM
National news said that OK got up to 7" of the white stuff and showed
a nasty pileup outside of OKC, so looks like the news got it wrong...
good!

I wish they'd gotten it wrong here in IA...13" and now temps around
zero overnight...

BudSooner
12/26/2012, 07:41 PM
My old boss over in Hot Springs said Arkansas got jack hammered, 300,000 without power, it reminds me of 2007 in Tulsa...never want to see ice of that magnitude ever again.
Our call center in Little Rock has no power, won't for probably a week(which will make our work slower with the exception of the customers coming directly into our local office)and Hot Springs cable headend lost it's tower to receive local stations signal.

Looks like a nightmare over there.

jk the sooner fan
12/26/2012, 08:39 PM
we made it home in 10 hours on the nose

not a drop of frozen precip on the roads in Nebraska, Kansas, or Oklahoma until around the Edmond area

the OKDot website that you go to for Road Conditions absolutely sucks and is a huge exaggeration - compared to Kansas' road conditions web page

however, Oklahoma - did very well on the roads south of Purcell - VERY well

Texas road conditions are a direct reflection of the states attitude to cold weather....which is "it'll melt tomorrow so why bother with snow plows"

olevetonahill
12/26/2012, 08:53 PM
Glad ya made it safe Bro

Ill venture Off my Hill tomorrow, I've just stayed holed up with My Heater and books

jk the sooner fan
12/26/2012, 09:08 PM
thanks - 10 hours behind the wheel - i used to be able to do that with no problem

not so much anymore

olevetonahill
12/26/2012, 09:12 PM
thanks - 10 hours behind the wheel - i used to be able to do that with no problem

not so much anymore

Know the feelin Bro