PDA

View Full Version : RIP Charles Durning

SoonerStormchaser
12/25/2012, 09:43 AM
Besides being a great actor, you were a true American hero...stormed the beach at Normandy, captured during Battle of the Bulge...

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/12/25/durning-king-character-actors-dies-in-ny/

Turd_Ferguson
12/25/2012, 09:49 AM
RIP Pappy O'Daniel.

olevetonahill
12/25/2012, 10:07 AM
Wow, RIP Sir You deserve it, You have spent your time in hell.

Durning's rugged early life provided ample material on which to base his later portrayals. He was born into an Irish family of 10 children in 1923, in Highland Falls, N.Y., a town near West Point. His father was unable to work, having lost a leg and been gassed during World War I, so his mother supported the family by washing the uniforms of West Point cadets.

The younger Durning himself would barely survive World War II.

He was among the first wave of U.S. soldiers to land at Normandy during the D-Day invasion and the only member of his Army unit to survive. He killed several Germans and was wounded in the leg. Later he was bayoneted by a young German soldier whom he killed with a rock. He was captured in the Battle of the Bulge and survived a massacre of prisoners.

In later years, he refused to discuss the military service for which he was awarded the Silver Star and three Purple Hearts.

"Too many bad memories," he told an interviewer in 1997. "I don't want you to see me crying."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/12/25/durning-king-character-actors-dies-in-ny/#ixzz2G4nwCbm6

12/25/2012, 10:51 AM
Killed a guy with a rock.

Dude.

TitoMorelli
12/25/2012, 11:07 AM
NJG75FJkjr8&start=255

12/25/2012, 11:33 AM
He was also a go-to actor for the Coens. Hudsucker Proxy and O Brother Where Art Thou.

Great character. R.I.P.

lexsooner
12/25/2012, 03:43 PM
I remember him the best as the corrupt detective in The Sting, the Assistant Coach in North Dallas Forty who chugged Maalox during practice, and the negotiating cop in Dog Day Afternoon who was mimicked by the rowdy NYC bystanders during his exchanges with hostage taker Sonny: "Hey, Sonny! (Durning). Sonnnnnny! (bystanders).

Sadly, there are not too many WWII heroes living. Senator Inouye who destroyed several Nazi machine gun nests by himself just passed away. As far as celebrities who served in combat and are still living, I can only think of Mel Brooks, who was a sapper during the Battle of the Bulge. Brian Dennehy is alive, but lied about all of his exploits in Vietnam. The real heroes don't talk much about their experiences.

LiveLaughLove
12/25/2012, 06:07 PM
Great guy and genuine hero. Miss him already.

Wishboned
12/25/2012, 06:43 PM
Rest easy Mr. Durning. A hero and a damn fine actor.

rock on sooner
12/25/2012, 08:08 PM
i've always been a fan...he was on an episode of NCIS, playing a
WWII CMO honoree, inadvertantly killed his best friend by hitting
him in the head to keep him quiet, to not give away their position
to the Japanese. Gibbs' line in the show was "he stood tall in hell."
After reading the link, he sure did. May he rest in peace. Salute!