PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Tackles on the roster

lexsooner
12/23/2012, 06:31 PM
There's been much talk about recruiting DTs. Clearly, this is our number one need. That being said, are there any DTs currently on the team who may start or be in the regular rotation next season? I watched one play in which Jordan Phillips bull rushed this Iowa St. OL and nearly drove him into the ISU quarterback. Phillips must have great potential. Is he expected to start next year? What about Marquis Anderson? I saw he played some, but not in every game. Plus, has he lost a lot of weight or something? The only other one who is not a DT bust (not yet at least) is Jordan Wade. Are they expecting anything from him next season?

8timechamps
12/23/2012, 09:00 PM
There is some question about both Phillips and Anderson, not quiet sure what the issues are, but there is speculation that grades could be an issue for both. Jordan Wade is available, and should improve with the extra few weeks of bowl practice, and the off-season to develop.

Here's who we have coming back:

Jordan Phillips
Jordan Wade
Marquis Anderson
Torrea Peterson
Damon Williams

Of that group, Phillips and Anderson are the best. However, as I mentioned above, there is some question about their availability going into next year. IIRC, Peterson had some issues too (seems like he was suspended, but I may be thinking of someone else). Wade is kind of a known quantity, but hasn't exactly been a spark plug. I've only heard of Damon Williams, never heard anything about his ability.

Add to that the two pick-up's this week:

Kerrick Huggins - A very promising player.
Quincy Russell - A sure-fire starter when next year rolls around.

All in all, a lot of unknowns (at least to the general public). Assuming Phillips and Anderson can get squared away, and there are no issues with Quincy Russell or Kerrick Huggins, we should have at least a solid rotation of players...with the possibility of an overall upgrade at the position.

Really though, we won't know much until at least a couple of weeks into summer workouts.

Edit: OU is still hard after a couple more DTs (recruiting), so hopefully we can add to that list in the next month or so.

lexsooner
12/23/2012, 10:59 PM
Much appreciated, 8 Time. It seems odd that we are weak at DT, since we have been known as DT U. The three senior DTs just lack the athleticism to be very effective, from my understanding. It would be sweet if we could get at least one of those Kansas JUCOs.

8timechamps
12/24/2012, 06:50 PM
Much appreciated, 8 Time. It seems odd that we are weak at DT, since we have been known as DT U. The three senior DTs just lack the athleticism to be very effective, from my understanding. It would be sweet if we could get at least one of those Kansas JUCOs.

This is one of the strangest periods I can really remember for OUs D-line. Ultimately, the coaches just missed on some highly ranked players (R.J. Washington, Jamarkus McFarland, etc.). Walker, McFarland and McGee were all highly ranked recruits, and none of them really developed into game changers.

I honestly think next year's defensive line will be an upgrade (which seems to go against logic, since we had 4 seniors start the season on the line). I think both Russell and Huggins will see plenty of time on the line, and one of the other guys will step up this offseason. We've had an embarrassment of riches at DE, and I don't see that changing.

If we can land Toby Johnson (one of the Kansas JUCO kids), that would be phenomenal.

lexsooner
12/24/2012, 11:13 PM
This is one of the strangest periods I can really remember for OUs D-line. Ultimately, the coaches just missed on some highly ranked players (R.J. Washington, Jamarkus McFarland, etc.). Walker, McFarland and McGee were all highly ranked recruits, and none of them really developed into game changers.

I honestly think next year's defensive line will be an upgrade (which seems to go against logic, since we had 4 seniors start the season on the line). I think both Russell and Huggins will see plenty of time on the line, and one of the other guys will step up this offseason. We've had an embarrassment of riches at DE, and I don't see that changing.

If we can land Toby Johnson (one of the Kansas JUCO kids), that would be phenomenal.

I think you are right about the DT situation being better next year. Returning starter is an overrated stat. If they are not that good and do not have much improvement ability, you are just getting the same next year. So you think Huggins will be ready to play as a true freshman? He is supposed to be big and very athletic and intense, only lacking in technique and refinement. If anything, I sure like the intense look in his eye in the photos.

8timechamps
12/24/2012, 11:31 PM
I think you are right about the DT situation being better next year. Returning starter is an overrated stat. If they are not that good and do not have much improvement ability, you are just getting the same next year. So you think Huggins will be ready to play as a true freshman? He is supposed to be big and very athletic and intense, only lacking in technique and refinement. If anything, I sure like the intense look in his eye in the photos.

Well, I don't know if it's because he's (Huggins) that good, or the current group is that average, but I think he'll see action.

With that said, here's my prediction for the D-line next year. Keep in mind that this is based only on what we know about the current players, and also knowing there is an off-season between now and kickoff next year:

DE: Chuka Ndulue - Ndulue moved past Washington on the depth chart, and has shown signs that he can play at a high level. He's definitely going to be at one of the end spots to start the season.
DE: Chaz Davis - Davis was a JUCO transfer last year, that was injured two weeks before the season opened. He's a little undersized, but an absolute beast. I'm predicting him to fill the other end.

DE Rotation: Lindly, Grissom, Tapper & Onuoha

DT: Quincy Russell - Could be the man in the middle we've not had in a couple of years.
DT: Jordan Phillips - Assuming he stays eligible, he'll only continue to improve.

DT Rotation: Wade, Huggins, Anderson & Peterson

All things considered, I like the looks of the line. It's a mix of JUCO and young guys (which I like, for learning purposes). No real star power, but several potentials to become a star. In the end, I trust that Mike will put the best 4 on the line, and now that some of his guys are getting to Norman, it should help.