PDA

View Full Version : Mankind, the story of all of us.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/22/2012, 08:29 PM
Enjoying this on the History Channel

picasso
12/22/2012, 09:36 PM
I can't wait for Weeniekind. That's the story of many of you.

BigTip
12/23/2012, 12:22 PM
I watched an episode last night. Very well done. Is it new?

SanJoaquinSooner
12/23/2012, 12:49 PM
I watched an episode last night. Very well done. Is it new?

There are 12 episodes. They started airing in November. They had a marathon yesterday, where I caught several of them.
Here are 3 of the episodes. Great re-enactment style documentary w/ well-done map graphics.

Empires

The crucifixion of Jesus gives birth to global religion, but Christianity may never have happened without the Roman Empire. The Roman Empire's vast network of roads and shipping lanes allows goods and ideas to flow across three continents, allowing Jesus' message to transform Mankind around the world. When Rome is sacked by barbarians, Europe enters a Dark Age. But from the fringes of the old empire, two new forces remake the world. The Arabs, funded by a gold rush, unite under the banner of Islam. The Vikings rejuvenate the cities of Europe, travel to America and become Christian knights. The stage is set for a clash of civilizations--the Crusades.

Plague

Genghis Khan--the bloodiest warlord in history--sweeps south from Mongolia into China and creates a mighty empire. He leaves 40 million dead bodies in his wake. But a greater killer stalks Mankind--the Plague. Traveling along Mongol trade routes, the disease wreaks havoc in Asia and Europe--the greatest biological disaster in history. But the Americas are unaffected. Here, civilizations flourish in isolation. Gold from Africa kickstarts the rebirth of Europe. Money flows into Venice--creating new opportunities for entrepreneurs willing to take risks. In China, a new weapon--the gun--allows a peasant uprising to unify the country. Chinese innovations inspire Europe--leading to the printing press. Millions of books are printed. One of them will inspire a journey to the New World. America beckons.

Treasure

In the Andes, the Spanish open up the largest silver mine in the world and mint millions of pesos de ocho (pieces of eight). These coins transform the global economy. They fill the treasure chests of pirates. They fuel a stock market boom and help pay for the Taj Mahal. As trade booms, millions of people come to the New World as slaves. But a handful of Pilgrims come as pioneers looking for freedom.

http://www.history.com/shows/mankind-the-story-of-all-of-us/articles/about-mankind-the-story-of-all-of-us

BigTip
12/24/2012, 01:56 PM
Isn't great to see a history show on The History Channel?

I had about given up on it.