PDA

View Full Version : The worst Christmas gifts you've ever received/given

badger
12/20/2012, 02:24 PM
Share, but only in a non-malicious way. It is the holidays, after all :)

Here's a few of mine:

When I was in elementary school, I was being punished for some stupid reason (not completing enough of the school's busy work assignments on time or something) so mom determined that I was not going to receive real toys that Christmas. Instead, I got something that looked like this, except made out of cheap, light-blue plastic:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-y2sbnZmTdjk/T5RFLo0cBXI/AAAAAAAABfk/93WfqTAWLHw/s1600/bead%20weaver.jpg

I tried to make it work, but it was far too confusing for someone that had never used one before and knew it was a punishment gift anyway. The beads rolled everywhere and eventually were sucked up in a vacuum cleaner, I think.

When I was in high school, mom determined that I needed a new holiday dress, and I was like "whatever you want, I don't care." I ended up with something long and black, like this, without the big open spot in the back:
http://prettyandfabulous.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/party-long-black-dress.jpg

After watching my brother open multiple boxes on Christmas, I was later informed that the dress and only the dress was my Christmas present... the dress that I didn't ask for really didn't want in the first place that my mom choose. :(

TheHumanAlphabet
12/20/2012, 03:05 PM
Mother would wrap up underwear and socks and give it as a gift. 1. so we would have more gifts to unwrap, 2. because she thought we needed them and 3. never from Santa. This from a woman who grew up in the depression and usually got one gift for Christmas, usually shoes and maybe a toy or doll.

Pricetag
12/20/2012, 04:46 PM
My sophomore year in high school, I needed a new heavy coat for the winter. I knew that I would likely be getting one for Christmas. For some reason, my mom got stuck on the idea of buying me a Broken Arrow letter jacket, even though I didn't play school sports. I told them in no uncertain terms that I did not want one, but they went ahead and did it anyway.

I was a socially awkward kid as it was, and wearing that jacket with no letter was just a tad more desirable than being naked. I wore my jean jacket on many days that were far too cold for denim. When I did wear it to school, I'd stash it in my locker as soon as I got there. It was a nice jacket--I'd have worn it if it weren't black and gold, but as it was, it was an albatross around my neck.

8timechamps
12/20/2012, 06:22 PM
As a kid, I don't think I got anything "bad" that I can remember, however, my (now 73 year old) mom comes up with some of the strangest stuff to give me every year. I've tried for years to convince her I don't need anything from her, but I always get something. Last year it was a dry-erase board and a two-pack of mustard from Sams (no kidding). I have no idea why she thought I needed either of those, but that's what I got. One year I got family tree making software (I've never, not once, mentioned that I was interested in genealogy).

At this point, it's kind of become a Christmas highlight to see what kind of random thing I get. I think it's become a favorite tradition for my kids.

Mjcpr
12/20/2012, 06:27 PM
As a kid, I don't think I got anything "bad" that I can remember, however, my (now 73 year old) mom comes up with some of the strangest stuff to give me every year. I've tried for years to convince her I don't need anything from her, but I always get something. Last year it was a dry-erase board and a two-pack of mustard from Sams (no kidding). I have no idea why she thought I needed either of those, but that's what I got. One year I got family tree making software (I've never, not once, mentioned that I was interested in genealogy).

At this point, it's kind of become a Christmas highlight to see what kind of random thing I get. I think it's become a favorite tradition for my kids.

Is Rusty still in the Navy?

8timechamps
12/20/2012, 06:29 PM
Is Rusty still in the Navy?

She's getting that close.

SoonerStormchaser
12/21/2012, 12:25 AM
She's getting that close.

Time to electrocute the cat!!!

ouflak
12/21/2012, 07:06 AM
About 5 Christmas's or so ago I made an explicit list of foods for my mom to send over from the states (that are entirely unavailable in the UK). Bless her heart; she has a horrible habit of going overboard at times, often to the detriment of the original task. The result was that I got a nice big box of 'goodies' that sadly only contained 2 items I actually wanted. The rest was crap stuff I couldn't even give away to friends and certainly would never eat myself. Her defense for this was a typical, "Yeah, I thought you might like..." Really too bad as shipping costs now have made it senseless and impractical to send food anymore.

olevetonahill
12/21/2012, 09:05 AM
Yall just a Bunch of spoiled Ingrates, Why when I was a Kid all we got was a Lump of coal, Then we shared it so every one could stay warm .
You Kids nowadays :topsy_turvy:

SicEmBaylor
12/21/2012, 03:56 PM
Bad gifts and in liberal quantities was never an issue with my parents. Ever.
Never once had a bad or undesired gift from them. Never got bad Easter or birthday presents from them either. It was always top-notch.

However, my dad's side of the family at the annual Christmas party was another story. I can't think of one decent gift I ever received. I hate fishing, I don't hunt, and I couldn't give two ****s about automotive accessories or classic cars which is 99.9% of what interests them. Every year I'd get some bull**** crap like fishing tackle or shotgun shells.

Ugh.

Mjcpr
12/21/2012, 04:01 PM
Maybe they were hoping you'd put you out of your misery.

SicEmBaylor
12/21/2012, 04:05 PM
Maybe they were hoping you'd put you out of your misery.

I didn't even own a shotgun to put the shells in. Besides, that would be unpossible with these short arms.

olevetonahill
12/21/2012, 04:43 PM
I didn't even own a shotgun to put the shells in. Besides, that would be unpossible with these short arms.

No Dude ya hold it between yer knees and use yer toe to pull the trigger . Here let me help you.

KantoSooner
12/21/2012, 04:57 PM
Homemade liver wurst.
My grandfather, who I've spoken of on here before and who just last week passed away at age 101 (he actually tried out for the Sooners in 1931-2) was a man of varied interests and passions.
One year he got a calf slaughtered and butchered and noted that the butcher shop had LOTS of beef livers and not a lot of demand. Being an enterprising guy, he talked a neighbor into making liverwurst with him. We had it all summer, all fall and then he sent it to us kids as stocking stuffers.

Years later he redeemed himself by making corn whisky in his garage and aging it in honest to god oak barrels. Me and my cousin felt especially close to him that year. It washed the taste of liverwurst out of our mouths.

8timechamps
12/21/2012, 05:05 PM
Bad gifts and in liberal quantities was never an issue with my parents. Ever.
Never once had a bad or undesired gift from them. Never got bad Easter or birthday presents from them either. It was always top-notch.

However, my dad's side of the family at the annual Christmas party was another story. I can't think of one decent gift I ever received. I hate fishing, I don't hunt, and I couldn't give two ****s about automotive accessories or classic cars which is 99.9% of what interests them. Every year I'd get some bull**** crap like fishing tackle or shotgun shells.

Ugh.

That's what makes my mom's gifts now so strange. Growing up, I can't think of a thing she ever gave me that I questioned, or didn't like. Now, it's like she has no clue what I like, or cares. About four years ago, I got a "vintage" t-shirt that said "what'choo talkin' 'bout Willis" and a jar of some off-brand banana peppers. It's something like that every year. If I didn't know better, I'd think she was doing it as an ongoing joke, but she's not.

SicEmBaylor
12/21/2012, 05:34 PM
That's what makes my mom's gifts now so strange. Growing up, I can't think of a thing she ever gave me that I questioned, or didn't like. Now, it's like she has no clue what I like, or cares. About four years ago, I got a "vintage" t-shirt that said "what'choo talkin' 'bout Willis" and a jar of some off-brand banana peppers. It's something like that every year. If I didn't know better, I'd think she was doing it as an ongoing joke, but she's not.
lol although that's kind of awesome. I may have taken the whiteboard/mustard combo. :D

FirstandGoal
12/21/2012, 11:11 PM
LOL 8TC, at least you and your kids can have a good laugh about it. My ex MIL (who is now deceased, God bless her) used to give "interesting" gifts such as that but according to my ex, she had been doing that from his earliest memories. One year she got my son-- who was about 4 or 5 at the time-- some gourmet nuts, a home-made hand puppet set (which was truly bizarre) and a couple of humongous (I mean they were bigger than the coffee table) coloring books. Not only were the coloring books so awkwardly huge, but I remember one of them had nothing but circus animals or something like that in it. Not sure what she thought he was going to do with the hand puppets either and the kid was always playing outside and/or playing sports. He most definitely was never the imaginative kid. What always stumped me about the bizarre combo of gifts she would give all of us is that she had plenty of money to guy normal gifts-- and sometimes would spend quite a bit on the weird ones-- yet you could always count on really weird stuff.

For me personally, I've never been the kind of person who asks for very much. From the time I was a teenager and started working I just bought myself something if I really wanted it rather than ask someone else. It used to drive my ex-husband crazy, but I would honestly just rather go shopping for my own gift and not have to depend on someone else trying to figure out what I want. *shrug*

Breadburner
12/21/2012, 11:35 PM
One of those sorry assed cologne kits....God what a ****ing waste....!!!

olevetonahill
12/21/2012, 11:51 PM
F&Gs post reminded me of my Last ex MIL that crazy bitch would always buy me a Dress shirt( yes I was in sales back then and Dressed the part) anyway the shirt was exactly 2 sizes too small EVERY time. No receipt No Tags , so I couldnt exchange it , I'd just use em to wash the car with

Oh and Bread, I still have one of those 'Old Spice sets' shoved under a counter here somewhere had it 12 er 14 years :sneakiness:

8timechamps
12/22/2012, 06:01 PM
LOL 8TC, at least you and your kids can have a good laugh about it. My ex MIL (who is now deceased, God bless her) used to give "interesting" gifts such as that but according to my ex, she had been doing that from his earliest memories. One year she got my son-- who was about 4 or 5 at the time-- some gourmet nuts, a home-made hand puppet set (which was truly bizarre) and a couple of humongous (I mean they were bigger than the coffee table) coloring books. Not only were the coloring books so awkwardly huge, but I remember one of them had nothing but circus animals or something like that in it. Not sure what she thought he was going to do with the hand puppets either and the kid was always playing outside and/or playing sports. He most definitely was never the imaginative kid. What always stumped me about the bizarre combo of gifts she would give all of us is that she had plenty of money to guy normal gifts-- and sometimes would spend quite a bit on the weird ones-- yet you could always count on really weird stuff.

For me personally, I've never been the kind of person who asks for very much. From the time I was a teenager and started working I just bought myself something if I really wanted it rather than ask someone else. It used to drive my ex-husband crazy, but I would honestly just rather go shopping for my own gift and not have to depend on someone else trying to figure out what I want. *shrug*

My mom sounds very similar to your ex-MIL. The money she spends on some of the things she gives is almost ridiculous.

My son reminded me of one of his all time favorite gifts she gave me. It was probably 4 years ago. You know those kits that have a nose, mouth, eyes and ears that you put on your tree (outside)? I got four of the sets. She thought I could "decorate" all the trees in my front yard. She thought it was so funny, and just giggled when I opened them. They are still unopened and boxed in my basement.

8timechamps
12/22/2012, 06:03 PM
F&Gs post reminded me of my Last ex MIL that crazy bitch would always buy me a Dress shirt( yes I was in sales back then and Dressed the part) anyway the shirt was exactly 2 sizes too small EVERY time. No receipt No Tags , so I couldnt exchange it , I'd just use em to wash the car with

Oh and Bread, I still have one of those 'Old Spice sets' shoved under a counter here somewhere had it 12 er 14 years :sneakiness:

My step-mother would always send me a sweater for Christmas, and it was ALWAYS at least a size too small (usually two or three sizes too small).

olevetonahill
12/22/2012, 06:05 PM
My step-mother would always send me a sweater for Christmas, and it was ALWAYS at least a size too small (usually two or three sizes too small).

heh, I got even with the bitch, I knew My ex an I were splittin so I got the old broad a Pair of those giant panties. Put a note sayin I hoped they wernt to small.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/22/2012, 11:07 PM
Woody Allen once said that without time, everything would happen all at once.

But in spite of that, I never appreciated receiving a wrist watch for a gift. I mean, gee, now I know what time it is.

olevetonahill
12/22/2012, 11:16 PM
Woody Allen once said that without time, everything would happen all at once.

But in spite of that, I never appreciated receiving a wrist watch for a gift. I mean, gee, now I know what time it is.

I havnt worn a watch in 20 years, Got a few around here, not even sure they work anymore.
Hell for that matter I dont wear any kinda bling

SanJoaquinSooner
12/22/2012, 11:38 PM
I havnt worn a watch in 20 years, Got a few around here, not even sure they work anymore.
Hell for that matter I dont wear any kinda bling

Good to know you don't have your dick pierced.

olevetonahill
12/22/2012, 11:39 PM
Good to know you don't have your dick pierced.

Why ? would that keep you from suckin it?:cocksure:

SanJoaquinSooner
12/22/2012, 11:53 PM
Just don't want a fellow Sooner to die of a dick infection.:tyrannosaurus:

FirstandGoal
12/23/2012, 10:39 AM
So Badj starts a great thread about holiday gifts and this is where it ends up with you guys?

Nice.

Turd_Ferguson
12/23/2012, 11:15 AM
This is why we can never have anything nice around here...

SanJoaquinSooner
12/23/2012, 11:36 AM
So Badj starts a great thread about holiday gifts and this is where it ends up with you guys?

Nice.

This is why we can never have anything nice around here...

I can most assuredly say if I received a giftcard for body piercing it would be the worst gift I ever got. Worse than a wrist watch.

But F&G and Turd, threads about "worst" anything are likely to degenerate.

TahoeSOONER
12/23/2012, 12:38 PM
My stepdads sister gave my brother and I bag of empty coin rolls each you get from the bank. We were around ten years old. I remember looking at my Mom all puzzled like WTF am I going to do with this? We laugh about it to this day...worst gift ever.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/23/2012, 12:54 PM
My stepdads sister gave my brother and I bag of empty coin rolls each you get from the bank. We were around ten years old. I remember looking at my Mom all puzzled like WTF am I going to do with this? We laugh about it to this day...worst gift ever.

are you tahoesooner the attorney?

TahoeSOONER
12/23/2012, 01:33 PM
No, I'm TahoeSOONER the TVDirector and ski bum. I didn't know there was another TahoeSooner, we must drink.

olevetonahill
12/23/2012, 01:43 PM
No, I'm TahoeSOONER the TVDirector and ski bum. I didn't know there was another TahoeSooner, we must drink.

Can you put me in the movies? I promise to act naturally

SanJoaquinSooner
12/23/2012, 02:17 PM

I think he ended up in Tahoe because he was a ski bum too, but he practiced law. Sooner as an undergrad. Used to hang out some at the original O'Connells board.

TahoeSOONER
12/23/2012, 04:28 PM
Sorry Vet, mostly television news or sporting events. You would fit in on Moonshiners though.

olevetonahill
12/23/2012, 07:50 PM
Sorry Vet, mostly television news or sporting events. You would fit in on Moonshiners though.

Please, Those guy's are Idiots

ouwasp
12/24/2012, 02:27 AM
Wife got me a ping-pong table once....I've never, ever liked the activity and have no idea why she thought it would be something I wanted. Took it back. This was probably 16-17 yrs ago.

So, a couple yrs ago... she buys a ping pong table again, this time for the kids. It is still folded nicely in the garage. Been used maybe 2-3 times. <shrug>

I guess the worst gift I ever gave was an orbital buffer/polisher to my Dad. He used to always take really good care of his cars, so I thought this would be appreciated. A few months later I saw the buffer for sale in his garage sale. <shrug>

okie52
12/24/2012, 09:35 AM
I guess the worst gift I ever gave was an orbital buffer/polisher to my Dad. He used to always take really good care of his cars, so I thought this would be appreciated. A few months later I saw the buffer for sale in his garage sale. <shrug>

LoL....sucks when that happens.