PDA

View Full Version : A Feel Good Seasonal Tale

KantoSooner
12/20/2012, 10:01 AM
I got a call yesterday from a friend who was on a business trip in Modesto, Cali. As he breathlessly, and disjointedly recounted, he had just had a very unusual experience.
He was in a Starbucks, drinking coffee and answering emails, as sales guys on the road will do. A 'Skater Dude' (hoody, jeans pooled around his moonbooted feet, six inches of boxer shorts exposed at the waist, etc.) came rushing in and alerted the patrons that there had a been a smash-and-grab in the parking lot. Apparently this is now a daily type event in Cali: a van load of guys come into a parking lot, jump out, and using crow bars smash the windows and pry the trunk open on a car, stealing whatever they can grab quickly and then speed away.
In this case, it was a bunch of sales samples (rice bran - street value = $0) several suitcases, two briefcases, etc, etc. More hassle to replace than cash value. But my buddy's English, and his passport and green card were in the case. He was looking at much hassle to get that fixed. Police were called and on scene very quickly.
Re-enter Skater Dude. He and his posse had gotten descriptions of the perps and their vehicle, a license number AND two of them were IN PURSUIT on their skateboards through the streets of Modesto and were on cell phones with Dude 1 keeping him, and subsequently the Modesto PD, advised. Squad cars were alerted and the perps were apprehended within 45 minutes. Seems only two hard drives and a pair of sunglasses were lost.
Appearances can be deceiving, it seems.
Made my Christmas!

olevetonahill
12/20/2012, 10:20 AM
Great news. WE got Good peeps who dress weird and we got Weird peeps who dress good

badger
12/20/2012, 11:12 AM
If they are as common as you mention, it doesn't surprise me that regular citizens are trying to put a stop to it in their towns. In the Tulsa area, it's getting more common to hear about customers or bystanders bringing down thieves in stores/on the street just because they're sick of hearing about others getting robbed. Then, the police beg people not to take the law into their own hands. Then it happens again, so you know the police are still being ignored :)

Still, very cool story bro :D

KantoSooner
12/20/2012, 12:32 PM
I'm guessing the Modesto PD were laughing their butts off at the dumbass perps getting hosed by skater boyz.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/20/2012, 01:47 PM
Good story Kanto. Glad you buddy got his stuff back. I hadn't heard of the smash and grab deal. We are told when on business travel to lock our stuff in the trunk of the car...

rock on sooner
12/20/2012, 01:53 PM
This would make a great movie...Super Duper Crime Fighting
Skate Boarders! Had to laugh thinking about skate boarders
IN PURSUIT of a van in Cali...

KantoSooner
12/20/2012, 02:12 PM
I was trying to imagine that myself. Must've been in some area with lots of stoplights or traffic. Probably didn't stick with them long. But, anyway, full marks to the samaritans!

SanJoaquinSooner
12/20/2012, 02:35 PM
This would make a great movie...Super Duper Crime Fighting
Skate Boarders! Had to laugh thinking about skate boarders
IN PURSUIT of a van in Cali...

Modesto was where American Graffiti was filmed. But this event probably was in the downtown area, instead of the main drag used in the movie.

Kanto, when did this happen? Maria works in Modesto a couple days a week, although she is presently in Mexico for her dad's funeral.

I've never thought of Modesto as a dangerous place, unless you're married to a guy named Scott Peterson.

KantoSooner
12/20/2012, 04:03 PM
All I know was 'a Starbucks' in 'Modesto'. Not too much to go on, I admit. I spent most of my left coast time in Fremont/San Jose, so don't know much about Modesto and chose not to ask for details as they'd have meant nothing to me.
I am pleased that it was not the local sales guy's personal car, but a rental. I'm sure the rent-a-car people will be quite understanding with the perps.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/20/2012, 09:52 PM
Crime Mappers has the following in Modesto:

Theft/Larceny

Case Number: MP12110582

Date: 12/19/2012 7:33 AM

Description: 488 PETTY THEFT

There is a Starbucks at 1801 H Street.
Petty theft is a theft under $950 in value.

olevetonahill
12/20/2012, 10:02 PM
Just to be clear here I cant believe its taken this Long

I Like to Feel a Good seasoned Tail :very_drunk:

C&CDean
12/21/2012, 10:33 AM
A tale that would have warmed the cockles of my heart so much more than this would be skater dude going all Tony Hawk and jump into the back of the van and beat the POS thieves to death with his skateboard.

C&CDean
12/21/2012, 10:34 AM
And then watch midtowner start crying about banning assault boards.

olevetonahill
12/21/2012, 10:42 AM

Heh

KantoSooner
12/21/2012, 12:11 PM
Just to be clear here I cant believe its taken this Long

I Like to Feel a Good seasoned Tail :very_drunk:

I think I'm with you on this point but want to expressly deny any man-on-man implications and reserve the right to back away from Vet quickly depending on the final definition of 'seasoned'.
Just to be clear.

Midtowner
12/21/2012, 01:11 PM

Or watch C&C advocate for all of the thieves to be shot on sight.

olevetonahill
12/21/2012, 01:19 PM
I think I'm with you on this point but want to expressly deny any man-on-man implications and reserve the right to back away from Vet quickly depending on the final definition of 'seasoned'.
Just to be clear.

Tail = as In Piece of

olevetonahill
12/21/2012, 01:22 PM

Now theres an Idea who's time has come.

C&CDean
12/21/2012, 02:19 PM

You like thieves? Me either. Like I've mentioned many times, back in the day when I was one I KNEW that if I broke into the wrong house or car it could very well be the last thing I ever did. I KNEW it. Comes with the territory.

KantoSooner
12/21/2012, 02:19 PM
Tail = as In Piece of

You still haven't clarified 'seasoned' and that makes me nervous. Just what sort of seasoning are you referring to and how, exactly does it work on tail? I'm a younger man than you, I still have some things to learn.

olevetonahill
12/21/2012, 02:24 PM
You still haven't clarified 'seasoned' and that makes me nervous. Just what sort of seasoning are you referring to and how, exactly does it work on tail? I'm a younger man than you, I still have some things to learn.

Seasoned as in Experienced, I want her to Know how to use it :sneakiness:

rock on sooner
12/21/2012, 02:41 PM
Seasoned as in Experienced, I want her to Know how to use it :sneakiness:

Now, Vet, how wud yew know ifn she's usin it right?:biggrin:

olevetonahill
12/21/2012, 02:59 PM
Now, Vet, how wud yew know ifn she's usin it right?:biggrin:

Just ax most here Im a well seasoned PRICK

rock on sooner
12/21/2012, 03:02 PM
Just ax most here Im a well seasoned PRICK

Heh....

8timechamps
12/21/2012, 05:08 PM
A tale that would have warmed the cockles of my heart so much more than this would be skater dude going all Tony Hawk and jump into the back of the van and beat the POS thieves to death with his skateboard.

That will be added in the Disney movie version. Well, except the "to death" part.