PDA

View Full Version : NCAA nearly suspended OU assistant over tweets

Mazeppa
12/19/2012, 08:24 PM
NCAA nearly suspended OU assistant over tweets
By MURRAY EVANS and JEFF LATZKE (Associated Press)

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- Twitter messages sent to high school players in February violated NCAA rules and nearly resulted in a one-game suspension for Oklahoma co-offensive coordinator Jay Norvell, according to documents obtained by The Associated Press.

Among the documents released to the AP this week under Oklahoma's Open Records Act were letters between university compliance staff and members of the NCAA's rules enforcement staff concerning the fallout from Norvell's use of Twitter.

The NCAA initially wanted to suspend Norvell for one game but the university successfully appealed. Oklahoma learned of the NCAA's decision not to suspend Norvell on Dec. 4, about a month before the Cotton Bowl game between the 12th-ranked Sooners and No. 10 Texas A&M.

Oklahoma has had a series of major NCAA violations in recent years and is still on probation for the latest case involving ex-men's basketball assistant coach Oronde Taliaferro. Previous cases involved the football team and ex-basketball coach Kelvin Sampson.

In this case, Norvell sent nine Twitter messages on Feb. 21 to six prospects who were high school juniors, according to a university letter sent May 14 to Chris Strobel, the NCAA's director of secondary enforcement.

''Norvell had intended the tweets to be direct messages; however, upon sending the messages, he instantly realized he had selected the incorrect messaging option and inadvertently posted the messages as public tweets,'' according to the letter from Jason Leonard, Oklahoma's executive director for athletics compliance, and Connie Dillon, the university's faculty athletics representative.

Six of the tweets contained what OU deemed to be ''written offers of financial aid to juniors, which was prior to the permissible date in which an institution can provide written offers of aid to prospects.''

Norvell immediately reported the violation and ''further indicated that he understood 'written offer' to be offers made through traditional general correspondence'' pursuant to NCAA rules, the OU letter said. ''Norvell did not realize that something as impersonal as a direct message could or would be considered a written offer of financial aid pursuant to NCAA rule.''

OU also said Norvell sent a letter to the six prospects, telling them he had violated an NCAA rule and rescinding the offer, although he said in those letters that Oklahoma still would recruit them. The university required Norvell to attend a 2012 NCAA rules seminar and banned the football staff from sending general correspondence and electronic correspondence for two weeks to the six prospects.

The university said it also provided specific rules education to its entire football staff pertaining to written offers of financial aid, electronic correspondence and the use of social media during the recruiting process.

In a Sept. 25 letter, Renee Gomila, the NCAA's associate director of enforcement for secondary infractions, said while the NCAA agreed with the university that Norvell's violation should be classified as secondary - as opposed to major - Norvell should be suspended for one game and the university should reduce the remaining number of in-person, off-campus recruiting contacts with the prospects by two.

Gomila said that similar future violations ''may result in the head coach being suspended from all coaching-related activities'' for at least one game.

The university filed its appeal of Norvell's suspension on Oct. 23, citing similar cases at Iowa, Clemson, Mississippi, Memphis and Tennessee. The university called the suspension ''inappropriate, excessive and not supported by case precedent (institutions with like penalties).''

In a Dec. 5 response, Strobel said the NCAA enforcement staff had ''reevaluated'' the case and set aside Gomila's recommendation. The letter did not give a reason for the NCAA's change of heart.

8timechamps
12/19/2012, 09:32 PM
This was discussed at length here back in February.

Widescreen
12/19/2012, 09:42 PM
Norvell broke the rules like a boss.

Pooty Pootpoot
12/19/2012, 10:57 PM
Lawwwzeee!

8timechamps
12/19/2012, 11:20 PM
Norvell broke the rules like a boss.

Norvell don't give no **** about rulez!

badger
12/20/2012, 09:12 AM
I bet texags is letting everyone know that OU is a cheating program and they would NEVER do anything against NCAA rules.
http://hulkhatetimetravel.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/eric-gold-trans-am.jpg

sooneron
12/20/2012, 10:46 AM
Saweet!!!! T Tops!!!

Ruf/Nek7
12/20/2012, 11:47 AM
Kids get offers via twitter? What kind of world is this? I'm going to tweet this and update my facebook status. Be back in a sec.

Soonerjeepman
12/20/2012, 01:10 PM
I like how the frickin ncaa JUST NOW (Dec 4th) let them know...so IF he was suspended it'd b in the bowl vs a crappy game like ndstu or something. On the flip side I have a real hard time believing Norvell really didn't know the rules...seriously, he gets paid a lot of money to know the rules. I've always been told ignorance of the law doesn't work.

Glad OU got out of the suspension.

EatLeadCommie
12/20/2012, 02:56 PM
I like how the frickin ncaa JUST NOW (Dec 4th) let them know...so IF he was suspended it'd b in the bowl vs a crappy game like ndstu or something. On the flip side I have a real hard time believing Norvell really didn't know the rules...seriously, he gets paid a lot of money to know the rules. I've always been told ignorance of the law doesn't work.

Agree.

I'm confused, though. Did the NCAA want to suspend him because the scholarship offers were public tweets or because they were made before the NCAA said you could make such offers?

mainline13
12/20/2012, 03:31 PM
Agree.

I'm confused, though. Did the NCAA want to suspend him because the scholarship offers were public tweets or because they were made before the NCAA said you could make such offers?

Neither. It was simply because they're still miffed about the TV revenue lawsuit.

8timechamps
12/20/2012, 04:00 PM

No only should Norvell have known about the rules, there are people at OU who's sole job is to ensure compliance with the NCAA rules. Honestly, I'm thinking the NCAA is pretty far behind the social media thing. I'm not sure they had clear rules, otherwise there is no question that Norvell would have been punished.

EatLeadCommie
12/20/2012, 04:03 PM
Neither. It was simply because they're still miffed about the TV revenue lawsuit.

lol

OU_Sooners75
12/20/2012, 10:37 PM
No only should Norvell have known about the rules, there are people at OU who's sole job is to ensure compliance with the NCAA rules. Honestly, I'm thinking the NCAA is pretty far behind the social media thing. I'm not sure they had clear rules, otherwise there is no question that Norvell would have been punished.

I think what really saved Norvell and OU is the fact that he immediately reported his own violation and that he also rescended the offers.

Not only that, but the retraining and other steps he took well before the NCAA decided what the punishment should have been.

But it would also look really bad on the NCAA for punishing Norvell for a 1 game suspension, while they didn't even come closwe to that for the other coaches that have done the same thing before him.

You can't just sset precedent after setting it the first 5 times before.

Just goes to prove the NCAA hasw a hard on for OU when it comes to ticky tack bull**** that they later make clear they (the coaches), can do when it comes to recruiting.

Collier11
12/20/2012, 11:02 PM
Norvell didnt get supsended because he thought that an offer via social media was not an official offer, plain and simple

EatLeadCommie
12/21/2012, 03:03 AM
Norvell didnt get supsended because he thought that an offer via social media was not an official offer, plain and simple

Yeah that sounds like a BS excuse to me...using the NCAA's own emphasis on semantics against them (which, frankly, is kind of funny). What is he gonna do, offer via social media and then post "J/K, dude!" right after that?

yermom
12/21/2012, 09:08 AM
sounds like he immediately rescinded and reported after he realized they were public.

how many did he send that were direct messages?

nighttrain12
12/26/2012, 11:01 PM
And some people are worried about what OU players will say on Twitter/Facebook. LOL