PDA

View Full Version : Double Cola, RC Cola drinkers?

cleller
12/19/2012, 04:41 PM
When I was a kid, these were my two favorite colas. I lived out in the country, and there was a little store down the road that sold both those, plus Suncrest pop, in an machine where you pulled the bottles out of the front. I wasn't consciously avoiding Coke and Pepsi, this was just what Don Miller (store owner) had for sale. At that time there was a Double Cola bottler in Seminole, OK. I think they also supplied the Suncrest line, which were the best strawberry, grape, orange I ever had, too.

Double Cola to me was the best, and can now be bought at Cracker Barrel and Atwoods some. Doesn't seem quite the same, don't pick up that hint of cinnamon those old bottles had.

Whenever I offer and RC to someone, they kind of stare at it, like they aren't sure if they've ever had one. I drink Coke, too, which is great stuff. So good I worry RC may be gone altogether someday.

So, any RC chuggers?

olevetonahill
12/19/2012, 04:45 PM
Never been much of a soda water dranker
When I did it was Usually a
http://media-cache-ec3.pinterest.com/upload/167477679862929494_FAXjUKtR_b.jpg

rock on sooner
12/19/2012, 04:57 PM
Never been much of a soda water dranker
When I did it was Usually a
http://media-cache-ec3.pinterest.com/upload/167477679862929494_FAXjUKtR_b.jpg

You and Radar (M*A*S*H)...only his was Grape NeHigh..

rock on sooner
12/19/2012, 05:00 PM
Only time I ever drank RC was when there wasn't Coke or
Pepsi...heh, package of salted peanuts poured into the big
Coke bottle...

yermom
12/19/2012, 05:09 PM
i was thinking about RC the other day. my grandma used to buy it, i think.

i always remember seeing the plant in Tulsa. seems like someone in my family might have worked there, now that i think about it. that's gotta be thirty years ago

8timechamps
12/19/2012, 05:12 PM
When I was a kid, these were my two favorite colas. I lived out in the country, and there was a little store down the road that sold both those, plus Suncrest pop, in an machine where you pulled the bottles out of the front. I wasn't consciously avoiding Coke and Pepsi, this was just what Don Miller (store owner) had for sale. At that time there was a Double Cola bottler in Seminole, OK. I think they also supplied the Suncrest line, which were the best strawberry, grape, orange I ever had, too.

Double Cola to me was the best, and can now be bought at Cracker Barrel and Atwoods some. Doesn't seem quite the same, don't pick up that hint of cinnamon those old bottles had.

Whenever I offer and RC to someone, they kind of stare at it, like they aren't sure if they've ever had one. I drink Coke, too, which is great stuff. So good I worry RC may be gone altogether someday.

So, any RC chuggers?

I have always liked RC. When I was a kid, my uncle owned a little convenience store out in the country, so we could always get a cold RC from the bottle cooler.

I stopped drinking regular soda back in 2005, after I realized how much sugar I was consuming. Now its only Diet Coke. Anytime I try a regular Coke or Pepsi, its almost too sweet to drink.

cleller
12/19/2012, 05:12 PM
i was thinking about RC the other day. my grandma used to buy it, i think.

i always remember seeing the plant in Tulsa. seems like someone in my family might have worked there, now that i think about it. that's gotta be thirty years ago

Where was that plant? Remember the old Coke plant up about 1100 N Lewis? (between Admiral and Pine)

Now Grapette is a classic, too. Walmart was selling it a few years ago, and I got some, not sure if they still handle it.

pphilfran
12/19/2012, 05:29 PM
Moonpie

yermom
12/19/2012, 05:32 PM
Where was that plant? Remember the old Coke plant up about 1100 N Lewis? (between Admiral and Pine)

Now Grapette is a classic, too. Walmart was selling it a few years ago, and I got some, not sure if they still handle it.

i'm trying to remember. heh.

MsProudSooner
12/19/2012, 05:35 PM
I used to chug one of these every day after school:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/745-Old-ACL-DELAWARE-PUNCH-Soda-Bottle-Sign-/00/s/MzAwWDQwMA==/$T2eC16J,!zoE9s5nd0MhBQkzgfy8fg~~60_35.JPG

Babe's Chicken serves RC.

Jacie
12/19/2012, 05:56 PM
If you are a cola addict but are concerned about the sugar intake, try any of the new diet drinks, Coke Zero, Pepsi Max or Dr. Pepper 10. The first two are zero-calorie but somehow tastier than the regular diet versions of those drinks. DP 10 has 10 calories/8 ounces. All of these versions are aimed at enticing men to drink diet colas and having tried Max and 10, have to say they are pretty good.

GDC
12/19/2012, 06:05 PM
Can you still get Grapette in a bottle?

olevetonahill
12/19/2012, 06:59 PM
Can you still get Grapette in a bottle?

Appears Wally Weird is the Place But No bottles cept the 2 litre

http://www.grapette.com/1939/where

FirstandGoal
12/19/2012, 08:02 PM
Ugh! All of you guys who drink sodas need to stop right now. Actually the diet ones are worse for you because of all the artificial crap that's in them. For example, when diet coke gets too hot, some of it turns into formaldehyde. Whenever I get a craving for a carbonated beverage I just add club soda to some fruit juice. Much healthier for you.

GDC
12/19/2012, 08:38 PM
I always liked RC better than Coke or Pepsi. Cheerwine is a good cola but I don't know where to get it other than Pop's in Arcadia.

Williesan
12/20/2012, 10:09 PM
The only place I have found Cheerwine (that's not in an overpriced specialty store) is anywhere east of the Mississippi River and roughly south of the Tennessee/Kentucky border. You can find it at just about any grocery/convenience store down there.

With that said, I need my fix!!!! Thanks alot guys!

SoonerStormchaser
12/21/2012, 12:23 AM
The only good thing about Double Cola is that they make this awesome gem:
http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/39/f213d734871f49c86e2c93cbd2058030/l.jpg

C&CDean
12/21/2012, 09:03 AM
Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray and Cream Soda were my favorites. That, and the little 7-ounce Coke and 7-up. Haven't had a real soda in probably 20 or more years. The only thing I drink now is Diet Ginger Ale or Diet 7-up.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/21/2012, 01:25 PM
Only time I ever drank RC was when a package of salted peanuts poured into the big
RC bottle...

FIFY Mmmm, RC with peanuts!

Also, did anyone else love Chocolate Soldier?

KantoSooner
12/21/2012, 02:15 PM
Dear All, Grapette is alive and well in Malvern, AR. They are a 'going jessie' supplying softdrink concentrates to bottlers across the country and to more than 35 countries. (If, for example any of you oilies tried 'Sarsi' sarsparilla (tastes like root beer) in SE Asia, the syrup concentrate came direct from Malvern!)
Their Grapette and Orangette are available at Sam's Club and Wally World, but only in the 2 liter bottles.
FYI, they also supply the concentrates for the house brand soft drinks at a number of convenience stores.
They've talked about bringing back the little bottles but so far no retailer wants to 'waste' the shelf space.