PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I think the entire country is on an episode of Punk'd...

XingTheRubicon
12/19/2012, 09:59 AM
but the "we really gotcha" moment just doesn't seem like it's going to happen...apparently, all this **** is really happening.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/time-person-2012-obama-133203678.html

Time magazine has named President Barack Obama as its 2012 Person of the Year.

"We are in the midst of historic cultural and demographic changes," Time managing editor Richard Stengel said in announcing its choice. "And Obama is both the symbol and in some ways the architect of this new America."

Runners-up were Malala Yousafzai, the 15-year-old Pakistani women's rights activist who survived after being shot in the head and neck by Taliban; Apple CEO Tim Cook; Egypt's Islamist President Mohamed Morsi; and scientist Fabiola Gianotti. In 2011, Time picked "The Protester."

The magazine unveiled its Person of the Year selection on the "Today" show on Wednesday.

The president's reelection in November showed "the Obama effect was not ephemeral anymore, no longer reducible to what had once been mocked as that 'hopey-changey stuff,'" Time's Michael Scherer wrote in the accompanying cover story. "It could be measured in wars stopped and started; industries saved, restructured or reregulated; tax cuts extended; debt levels inflated; terrorists killed; the health-insurance system reimagined; and gay service members who could walk in uniform with their partners. It could be seen in the new faces who waited hours to vote and in the new ways campaigns are run. America debated and decided this year: history would not record Obama’s presidency as a fluke."

The cover features a silver border--just the fourth time in Time's 89-year-history the magazine was published without its trademark red. Time.com also published a slideshow featuring "never-before-seen images of the Obama presidency" from Election Night to Newtown.

“It was easy to think that maybe 2008 was the anomaly," President Obama told Time in an interview. “And I think 2012 was an indication that, no, this is not an anomaly. We’ve gone through a very difficult time. The American people have rightly been frustrated at the pace of change, and the economy is still struggling, and this president we elected is imperfect. And yet despite all that, this is who we want to be. That’s a good thing.”

[RELATED: Kim Jong Un voted Time's Person of the Year by readers]

Earlier this month, the magazine's online readers voted for North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as their choice for Person of the Year in what Time called a "completely unscientific" poll.

The Person of the Year, instituted in 1927, is "bestowed by the editors on the person or persons who most affected the news and our lives, for good or ill, and embodied what was important about the year." Obama was chosen as the 2008 Person of the Year following his historic election.

But at an annual luncheon to discuss its Person of the Year issue last month, Stengel said he wasn't a lock this time around.

"It's an interesting year because we have a re-elected president," Stengel said. "Sometimes we pick them, sometimes we don't."

At the event, Newt Gingrich--Time's Man of the Year in 1995--said "the American voter" would be his choice, but wouldn't bet against Obama. "I have twice underestimated him by a large margin," the former House Speaker said, adding: "If they pick Obama, it would be perfectly fair to have a tiny elephant crying somewhere in the corner."

olevetonahill
12/19/2012, 10:02 AM
:disillusionment:

OU68
12/19/2012, 10:04 AM
"And Obama is both the symbol and in some ways the architect of this new America." We're definitely F&*&*D

FaninAma
12/19/2012, 10:22 AM
The press has prostrated themselves on the ground in their unholy worship of this man. I am not a religious person but I do recall my mother's church being focused on Revelations and guesses about who the anti-Christ would be. If I were a betting man I know who I would put my money on and not because of anything he has done(yet) but because of the way such large segments of this nations' population and media absolutely worship the man.

It is a cult, IMO.

XingTheRubicon
12/19/2012, 12:00 PM
if you don't want to click the link EDIT: I put it in the original post

Time magazine has named President Barack Obama as its 2012 Person of the Year.

"We are in the midst of historic cultural and demographic changes," Time managing editor Richard Stengel said in announcing its choice. "And Obama is both the symbol and in some ways the architect of this new America."

Runners-up were Malala Yousafzai, the 15-year-old Pakistani women's rights activist who survived after being shot in the head and neck by Taliban; Apple CEO Tim Cook; Egypt's Islamist President Mohamed Morsi; and scientist Fabiola Gianotti. In 2011, Time picked "The Protester."

The magazine unveiled its Person of the Year selection on the "Today" show on Wednesday.

The president's reelection in November showed "the Obama effect was not ephemeral anymore, no longer reducible to what had once been mocked as that 'hopey-changey stuff,'" Time's Michael Scherer wrote in the accompanying cover story. "It could be measured in wars stopped and started; industries saved, restructured or reregulated; tax cuts extended; debt levels inflated; terrorists killed; the health-insurance system reimagined; and gay service members who could walk in uniform with their partners. It could be seen in the new faces who waited hours to vote and in the new ways campaigns are run. America debated and decided this year: history would not record Obama’s presidency as a fluke."

The cover features a silver border--just the fourth time in Time's 89-year-history the magazine was published without its trademark red. Time.com also published a slideshow featuring "never-before-seen images of the Obama presidency" from Election Night to Newtown.

“It was easy to think that maybe 2008 was the anomaly," President Obama told Time in an interview. “And I think 2012 was an indication that, no, this is not an anomaly. We’ve gone through a very difficult time. The American people have rightly been frustrated at the pace of change, and the economy is still struggling, and this president we elected is imperfect. And yet despite all that, this is who we want to be. That’s a good thing.”

[RELATED: Kim Jong Un voted Time's Person of the Year by readers]

Earlier this month, the magazine's online readers voted for North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as their choice for Person of the Year in what Time called a "completely unscientific" poll.

The Person of the Year, instituted in 1927, is "bestowed by the editors on the person or persons who most affected the news and our lives, for good or ill, and embodied what was important about the year." Obama was chosen as the 2008 Person of the Year following his historic election.

But at an annual luncheon to discuss its Person of the Year issue last month, Stengel said he wasn't a lock this time around.

"It's an interesting year because we have a re-elected president," Stengel said. "Sometimes we pick them, sometimes we don't."

At the event, Newt Gingrich--Time's Man of the Year in 1995--said "the American voter" would be his choice, but wouldn't bet against Obama. "I have twice underestimated him by a large margin," the former House Speaker said, adding: "If they pick Obama, it would be perfectly fair to have a tiny elephant crying somewhere in the corner."

JohnnyMack
12/19/2012, 01:12 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/188ugnjlznc7cjpg/original.jpg

Anti-christ? Hardly. The guy can't even defeat Spiderman.

diverdog
12/19/2012, 01:20 PM
The press has prostrated themselves on the ground in their unholy worship of this man. I am not a religious person but I do recall my mother's church being focused on Revelations and guesses about who the anti-Christ would be. If I were a betting man I know who I would put my money on and not because of anything he has done(yet) but because of the way such large segments of this nations' population and media absolutely worship the man.

It is a cult, IMO.

You need to quit sniffing the laughing gas, Doc!

Breadburner
12/19/2012, 01:58 PM
Oprah is the ****ing anti-christ.....!!!

FaninAma
12/19/2012, 02:32 PM
You need to quit sniffing the laughing gas, Doc!

Please read my post and rethink your goofy comment. I said if I was so inclined to believe in that crap, and yes prophecies in the Bible are crap, I would put my money on Obama as the guy who fits the bill as the AC. I do think those who support him do so with a cultish type fervor.

OULenexaman
12/19/2012, 03:10 PM
only fitting it's unveiled on the "Today" show....I need to vomit now..

Soonerjeepman
12/19/2012, 03:22 PM
only fitting it's unveiled on the "Today" show....I need to vomit now..

no doubt...first Time magazine is just as much a tabloid as those other crap papers...most of main stream media is. So I get nothing from that, and #2..Today show is a worthless TV rag...

cleller
12/19/2012, 04:25 PM
Cop out, and irrelevant.

diverdog
12/19/2012, 08:52 PM
Please read my post and rethink your goofy comment. I said if I was so inclined to believe in that crap, and yes prophecies in the Bible are crap, I would put my money on Obama as the guy who fits the bill as the AC. I do think those who support him do so with a cultish type fervor.

I have seen you call supporters of Obama a cult on three different occasions. In my book that is pretty ****ing far out there.

hawaii 5-0
12/19/2012, 08:59 PM
I was really hoping for Orly Taitz.

Now there's someone the Average American can admire.

5-0

soonercruiser
12/19/2012, 09:21 PM
As the Comunist Party USA said in their magazine...
"The Dawn of a New Era"!
Then they endorsed Obama for re-election!

soonercruiser
12/19/2012, 09:24 PM
I have seen you call supporters of Obama a cult on three different occasions. In my book that is pretty ****ing far out there.

Diver! When 98% of a particular race vote for a candidate of their color, what is it?
And in several precints of Baltimore any Philly, it was 100% BTW! And there was a 100% voter turnout there too!
I call that statistically impossible!

FaninAma
12/19/2012, 09:58 PM

http://www.holeinthehull.com/2011/09/the-cult-of-obama-by-robin-berkeley.html

I think this article is pretty dead on. A cult leader never gets questioned by his followers. http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/04/the-cult-of-obama/

diverdog
12/20/2012, 07:09 AM
http://www.holeinthehull.com/2011/09/the-cult-of-obama-by-robin-berkeley.html

I think this article is pretty dead on. A cult leader never gets questioned by his followers. http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/04/the-cult-of-obama/

Well then you clearly do not read or listen to the left. They question him all the time. In fact, there was a lot of talk his base would sit out the election.

You want a cult then look at the idiots who swoon on every word from Rush Limbaugh or Glen Beck.

Midtowner
12/20/2012, 08:01 AM
Well then you clearly do not read or listen to the left. They question him all the time. In fact, there was a lot of talk his base would sit out the election.

You want a cult then look at the idiots who swoon on every word from Rush Limbaugh or Glen Beck.

Which is worse? Voting for Obama because you feel he most represents you or voting for Romney because Beck told you that Obama is more than likely a secret Muslim who wants to ruin the United States to take revenge on the UK for Kenyan colonialism?

Occam's razor and such...

XingTheRubicon
12/20/2012, 09:00 AM
Which is worse? Voting for Obama because you feel he most represents you (unemployed loser on the gov't tit) or voting for Romney because you feel that he most represents you?

Occam's razor and such

FaninAma
12/20/2012, 10:16 AM

Link? Again, 98-100% of the urban black vote? Are you kidding me? His base was never in doubt. Only the independents who knew they had F'd up in 2008 were ever at risk of staying home.

diverdog
12/20/2012, 10:51 AM
Link? Again, 98-100% of the urban black vote? Are you kidding me? His base was never in doubt. Only the independents who knew they had F'd up in 2008 were ever at risk of staying home.

So what. They have always voted that way for Democrats. Your claim that this is a cult shows just how far off the map you are politically. Your evidence is two right wing opinion pieces. That is laughable.

nutinbutdust
12/21/2012, 03:09 PM
I dont know why Time, didnt just ask him to turn around, drop his pants and drawers, and kiss him on the arse.

Turd_Ferguson
12/21/2012, 03:22 PM
I dont know why Time, didnt just ask him to turn around, drop his pants and drawers, and kiss him on the arse.

Cause they already have his cack in their mouth.