PDA

View Full Version : Christmas shopping

8timechamps
12/18/2012, 09:22 PM
Every year, without fail, I wait until the last couple of days before Christmas to do most of my shopping. I'm a moron. I really tried to do it early (ordered some stuff online), but it looks like again, I'll be in the hoards of people doing last-minute shopping.

You with me? Or, are you an early shopper?

olevetonahill
12/18/2012, 09:30 PM
Every year, without fail, I wait until the last couple of days before Christmas to do most of my shopping. I'm a moron. I really tried to do it early (ordered some stuff online), but it looks like again, I'll be in the hoards of people doing last-minute shopping.

You with me? Or, are you an early shopper?

It aint Christmas Eve already is it?

salth2o
12/18/2012, 10:33 PM
I'm there with ya and The Redheads birthday is Saturday (unless the Mayans were right). Taking off work on Friday to get sumpin.

Pricetag
12/18/2012, 10:48 PM
I'm a procrastinating mofo. Bought online for the first time today. I was pleased to see that I could still get standard shipping before Christmas.

FirstandGoal
12/18/2012, 10:56 PM
I'm a little bit of both.

I cyber-Monday'd the hell outta my Christmas list. Got everything on my daughter's list (of course its easy cause she pre-bookmarks everything she wants and then all I have to do is order it), my niece and my nephew's list, and got my mom's Kindle online as well. I just give my son the equivalent amount of cash that I spend on my daughter so he's taken care of.
For the difficult-to-buy for peeps (mostly just my step-mom falls into this category) I wait til almost too late. I think its that since I have no idea what to get, I get trapped by inertia and indecision until time forces my hand into making a choice. I did finally order my step-mom's gift online today and paid extra for 2 day shipping as a consequence.

Another thing that makes holiday shopping easier at my house is I don't buy a whole lot of gifts for a whole lot of people. None of my close friends get anything beyond a bottle of liquor or wine, and I don't exchange gifts with my sister or BIL. Heh, everyone being OU/Thunder fans also helps when you're truly at a loss on what to do.

8timechamps
12/18/2012, 11:01 PM
I'm a little bit of both.

I cyber-Monday'd the hell outta my Christmas list. Got everything on my daughter's list (of course its easy cause she pre-bookmarks everything she wants and then all I have to do is order it), my niece and my nephew's list, and got my mom's Kindle online as well. I just give my son the equivalent amount of cash that I spend on my daughter so he's taken care of.
For the difficult-to-buy for peeps (mostly just my step-mom falls into this category) I wait til almost too late. I think its that since I have no idea what to get, I get trapped by inertia and indecision until time forces my hand into making a choice. I did finally order my step-mom's gift online today and paid extra for 2 day shipping as a consequence.

Another thing that makes holiday shopping easier at my house is I don't buy a whole lot of gifts for a whole lot of people. None of my close friends get anything beyond a bottle of liquor or wine, and I don't exchange gifts with my sister or BIL. Heh, everyone being OU/Thunder fans also helps when you're truly at a loss on what to do.

You may not buy a lot of gifts for other people, but I can tell you that you buy a lot more than I do. I take care of my boys, and my mom and grandmother, but that's about it. I send a family gift to my brother and sister's families, but that's where I stop. I'm lucky to get everything bought and wrapped by Christmas morning, if I added anymore, it'd throw off my whole system. This is my first year without my (now ex-)girlfriend, and she pretty much did it for me, so I'm back to planning the best way to enter the mall, get what I need, and exit - in the shortest amount of time possible.

olevetonahill
12/18/2012, 11:11 PM
Heh, I took care of all my gift giving this afternoon
wrote 7 checks , stuffed em Christmas cards fer the Grandkids and Im done :D

picasso
12/19/2012, 12:12 AM
There's a plus to waiting this late to shop. More targets for pickpocketing.

It's the holiday season alright.

badger
12/19/2012, 10:52 AM
I have dawdled on christmas card sending. I sent like two dozen this morning and now have two dozen to go (ran outta stamps last night).

my mom likes to say "there's 12 days of christmas!" when she forgets to get cards done on time. i don't think that works on gift giving :)

olevetonahill
12/19/2012, 10:54 AM
I have dawdled on christmas card sending. I sent like two dozen this morning and now have two dozen to go (ran outta stamps last night).

my mom likes to say "there's 12 days of christmas!" when she forgets to get cards done on time. i don't think that works on gift giving :)

Dean and Lisa say thank you

badger
12/19/2012, 11:01 AM
Dean and Lisa say thank you

oh yeah, gotta support our postal pensions for our retired postal workers. :)

i hope the price of stamps is still 44 cents, or a few will owe some upon-receipt postage :eek:

olevetonahill
12/19/2012, 11:19 AM
oh yeah, gotta support our postal pensions for our retired postal workers. :)

i hope the price of stamps is still 44 cents, or a few will owe some upon-receipt postage :eek:

I think they only sell those "Forever" stamps anymore

Ya buy em fer 44 cents and If Postage goes up to a Buck ya still can use em .

Flagstaffsooner
12/19/2012, 12:38 PM
What's Christmas shopping?

8timechamps
12/19/2012, 02:14 PM

Wow. I don't think I've ever mailed a single Christmas card. I always like receiving them, and I tell myself that someday I'll send some, but probably not.

olevetonahill
12/19/2012, 02:20 PM
Wow. I don't think I've ever mailed a single Christmas card. I always like receiving them, and I tell myself that someday I'll send some, but probably not.

Im sendin ONE thru the mail, Thats cause I was to lazy to have it filled out when I saw my son the other day

MsProudSooner
12/19/2012, 03:04 PM
I have to shop early enough to leave time to send pictures via text message and ask one sister if the other sister will like that gift.

Soonerjeepman
12/19/2012, 03:25 PM
It aint Christmas Eve already is it?

I like to wait til then....quick, no hard decisions...and fast!

TheHumanAlphabet
12/19/2012, 04:31 PM
done.

For long distance relations, gift cards are your friend, that and for sister-in-laws that sell your gifts to nephew and nieces in garage sales because they may have something similar or don't want them to have after you have gone to the effort to inquire...

olevetonahill
12/19/2012, 04:38 PM
done.

For long distance relations, gift cards are your friend, that and for sister-in-laws that sell your gifts to nephew and nieces in garage sales because they may have something similar or don't want them to have after you have gone to the effort to inquire...

I never understood those Gift Cards.
Why not just give em CASH, then they can use it anywhere they want instead of say Wally Weird

8timechamps
12/19/2012, 05:06 PM
I have to shop early enough to leave time to send pictures via text message and ask one sister if the other sister will like that gift.

This made me laugh.

MsProudSooner
12/19/2012, 05:38 PM
This made me laugh.

Good! :D

FirstandGoal
12/19/2012, 07:39 PM

LOL, me too!

Do you also get that "guilt" that arises when you get a Christmas card from somebody that you genuinely wish you sent out Christmas cards just so they would get one from you, but you still neglect to send them?
Happens to me every.single.year.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/20/2012, 01:47 AM
I never understood those Gift Cards.
Why not just give em CASH, then they can use it anywhere they want instead of say Wally Weird
I hate them, they are just efficient. I use the Visa cards, good anywhere... Plus the kids will at the sister-in-laws home country down under and they can use them there...

nighttrain12
12/26/2012, 11:09 PM
50% off on all calendars now that it is Dec. 26th. So feel free to stock up on those Sports Illustrated (featuring Kate Upton's heavenly hooters), Taylor Swift (with legs that are a mile long) or Keeping Up With The KarTRASHians!