PDA

View Full Version : Best NFL player of the Stoops era not named All Day?

badger
12/18/2012, 05:19 PM
Don't get cheeky with me and say that his name isn't All Day.

Nominees have made pro bowls or are likely future pro bowlers. write in your own stoops-era pro dude if you want... so long as his name isn't AD, AP, Adrian or Purple Jesus. Cheeky.

badger
12/18/2012, 05:22 PM
and yes, this is yet another attempt to de-dead-ify this dead bored.

MI Sooner
12/18/2012, 05:25 PM
Don't get cheeky with me and say that his name isn't All Day.

Nominees have made pro bowls or are likely future pro bowlers. write in your own stoops-era pro dude if you want... so long as his name isn't AD, AP, Adrian or Purple Jesus. Cheeky.

I'd go with Roy Williams

Other contenders:

Tommie Harris
Jammal Brown
Davin Joseph
Curtis Lofton

Hope I'm not missing anyone. Wouldn't surprise me to see McCoy, Trent Williams, and Jermaine Gresham up there soon.

badger
12/18/2012, 05:47 PM
The Stoops era pro bowlers were REAL Roy Williams (something crazy like four times) Tommie Harris (at least twice) Jammal Brown and Davin Joseph (both once I think). And of course AD, but we are omitting him from this poll because you all would vote for him otherwise :)

FirstandGoal
12/18/2012, 06:04 PM
Had to go with TRRW.

Bradford was a close second, but there aren't many moments in Sooner history that can compare with "Superman"

Salt City Sooner
12/18/2012, 07:33 PM
Williams went to 5 straight Pro Bowls. If we're talking about NFL accolades only, there's really nobody else close (JB & DJ have been to 2 each), although if DJ recovers well I think he'll give it a run.

boomersooner28
12/18/2012, 08:17 PM
DM7 has had his injury issues but he is the biggest game changer besides AD. The Cowboys a totally different team with DM7. Wish I had the stats in front of me.

Tiptonsooner
12/18/2012, 08:25 PM
Speaking of Roy, he became a proud daddy again yesterday. Baby Girl....

EatLeadCommie
12/18/2012, 08:27 PM
Heupel is a glaring omission.

All the same, I went with Bradford.

soonerinabilene
12/18/2012, 08:45 PM
TRRW.

The fact that Rocky, Teddy, Dan Cody, Mark Clayton, and especially Derrick Strait didn't have great success still shocks me.

yermom
12/18/2012, 08:46 PM
Heupel is a glaring omission.

All the same, I went with Bradford.

did Heupel ever even play a down? i thought he got hurt in practice/preseason

TRRW.

The fact that Rocky, Teddy, Dan Cody, Mark Clayton, and especially Derrick Strait didn't have great success still shocks me.

this.

EatLeadCommie
12/18/2012, 08:53 PM
did Heupel ever even play a down? i thought he got hurt in practice/preseason

Sorry, I kind of didn't see the NFL part of that. Gotta go with TRRW at this point.

rock on sooner
12/19/2012, 03:02 PM
Gotta be TRRW...anyone who can get his signature tackle made
into a penalty HAS to be da man!

Ruf/Nek7
12/19/2012, 03:40 PM
I love TRRW but come on, i am seriously the only person that voted for Tommie Harris?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/19/2012, 03:42 PM
I have a hard time believing Tommie Harris would be the best NFL player of this group...He had moments, but I couldn't call him the best in any way.

Ruf/Nek7
12/19/2012, 03:46 PM
I consider Tommie Harris' career to be similar to TRRW. It is more difficult to be an illustrious DT than a safety IMO. This also comes from a devout Cowboy fan. TRRW was amazing for about 5 years and then people realized tight ends could feast on his inability to cover them and his hits became illegal. Tommie Harris was one of my all time favorite Sooners just below Rocky Calmus.

badger
12/19/2012, 03:47 PM
I love TRRW but come on, i am seriously the only person that voted for Tommie Harris?

i voted for sammie out of sympathy. if he was on pretty much any other team he'd be a pro bowler on a playoff team... you know, any team that has receivers that catch passes that go directly into their hands, rather than BOING!!!! incomplete :mad:

Ruf/Nek7
12/19/2012, 03:48 PM
i voted for sammie out of sympathy. if he was on pretty much any other team he'd be a pro bowler on a playoff team... you know, any team that has receivers that catch passes that go directly into their hands, rather than BOING!!!! incomplete :mad:

Sam will easily have the best career out of all of them when it is all said and done. I think of Peyton Manning and his first years at Indy. MISERABLE. Fisher is a good coach and will build around Bradford. Me thinks atleast

stoops the eternal pimp
12/19/2012, 03:58 PM
I consider Tommie Harris' career to be similar to TRRW. It is more difficult to be an illustrious DT than a safety IMO. This also comes from a devout Cowboy fan. TRRW was amazing for about 5 years and then people realized tight ends could feast on his inability to cover them and his hits became illegal. Tommie Harris was one of my all time favorite Sooners just below Rocky Calmus.

As a Sooner, I was a huge TH fan..As a Bear, he really had a good season or 2 and turned into a cancer in the locker room..Constantly "injured"...Think he got things turned around later, but he just wasn't ready mature wise for the league and it got the best of him.

rock on sooner
12/19/2012, 04:26 PM
Sam will easily have the best career out of all of them when it is all said and done. I think of Peyton Manning and his first years at Indy. MISERABLE. Fisher is a good coach and will build around Bradford. Me thinks atleast

Sure hope you're right. He truly needs an Oline and two wideouts
that can stretch the field. Look at his games stats...he may have
21-22 completions but 180-190 yards...no chances throw deep...

OkieThunderLion
12/19/2012, 04:29 PM
Tommie Harris was easily the most dominant. Albeit for only a few years.

Gresham was a Pro Bowler last year. Should at least be on their if McCoy, Murray, Bradford, are included.

The answer in 5 years will be Trent Williams, IMO.

OkieThunderLion
12/19/2012, 04:36 PM
The Stoops era pro bowlers were REAL Roy Williams (something crazy like four times) Tommie Harris (at least twice) Jammal Brown and Davin Joseph (both once I think). And of course AD, but we are omitting him from this poll because you all would vote for him otherwise :)

Williams 5x
Peterson 4x
Harris 3x
Brown 2x
Joseph 2x
Gresham 1x

This year Peterson is a lock for 5th. Gresham and Williams also have shots.

MI Sooner
12/19/2012, 10:42 PM

I think there's a better chance that he's not a starter in four years than him being an upper echelon QB. Hope I'm wrong, and that's based on a fairly limited same of his games plus his stats.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/20/2012, 02:51 AM
i voted for sammie out of sympathy. if he was on pretty much any other team he'd be a pro bowler on a playoff team... you know, any team that has receivers that catch passes that go directly into their hands, rather than BOING!!!! incomplete :mad:pretty much my mind set, too

Eielson
12/20/2012, 12:45 PM
Went with TRRW for now, but I think it will be Bradford in the end. I think he's getting his big-time WR next year. I think they will be willing to spend some big money on a guy like Bowe or Wallace. At the very least, I expect they'll grab somebody like Lewis or Williams in the draft. We'll see, though.

badger
12/20/2012, 01:00 PM
I love this poll. Results all over the place. I haven't seen a poll this even handed before... and I love that TRRW still gets love here, because he was sure getting a lot of b!tchiness from his Cowboy teammates in his latter years there. :(

stoops the eternal pimp
12/20/2012, 01:03 PM
The pro bowl is such a joke..I dont know anyone can guage a player's anything off of PB selections.

Eielson
12/20/2012, 01:08 PM
I think there's a better chance that he's not a starter in four years than him being an upper echelon QB. Hope I'm wrong, and that's based on a fairly limited same of his games plus his stats.

There were a lot of people who felt that he was having a great rookie year. He's clearly improved, but it seems most Rams fans have jumped off his bandwagon. I'm honestly confused by it. Regardless, Jeff Fisher chose to come to the Rams mainly for Sam Bradford. He's a believer, and almost everything he's touched in St. Louis seems to turn to gold, or at least silver. I think Sam has really struggled from the Rams' strategy. They felt that they had to draft guys like lineman, quarterbacks, etc, but that WR's could be picked up off the street. I agree with that strategy overall, but it hasn't worked in Sam's favor. He's been stuck with crappy receivers, and despite several costly attempts (high draft picks, expensive free agents), he hasn't gotten much help from his line. I know that every Rams fan wants to cut the crap, and get a big time receiver. We'll have to see how management feels about it. I think Bradford would be viewed as low-elite if you added somebody like Bowe to this team.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/20/2012, 01:08 PM
Man, Sooner fans really magnify those Rams receivers and their drops...Their main issue is separation skills, not drops..I know Sam is our golden boy, and a lot of it has to do with the coordinator merry go round he has been on, but he has struggled in many aspects of the things he does control..

BillyBall
12/20/2012, 01:14 PM
As a Sooner, I was a huge TH fan..As a Bear, he really had a good season or 2 and turned into a cancer in the locker room..Constantly "injured"...Think he got things turned around later, but he just wasn't ready mature wise for the league and it got the best of him.

The year they went to the SB, 2006, he was arguably their best defensive player. Constantly double teamed letting Urlacher and Briggs run around and make plays. When he tore his hamstring their defense went from '85-'86 Bears to more like '88 Bears.

badger
12/20/2012, 01:38 PM
That was around the time that da bears went from a Sooner destination to a Sooner desert in the Neffel. And as such, I'm sure you'll all join in laughing and saying HA HA in their direction for ceding control of the NFC North to Green Bay.

HA HA

Scott D
12/20/2012, 02:09 PM
Man, Sooner fans really magnify those Rams receivers and their drops...Their main issue is separation skills, not drops..I know Sam is our golden boy, and a lot of it has to do with the coordinator merry go round he has been on, but he has struggled in many aspects of the things he does control..

that's over when they trade their 1st rounder this upcoming draft to Arizona for Fitz. ;)

Eielson
12/20/2012, 02:37 PM

I agree that it's not all about drops, but you'd agree that they suck, right? I can't think of any quarterback who has had less talent to throw to. Danny Amendola has been the superstar of Bradford's three years, and even he's only on the field about half of the time. People on here were definitely looking past a lot of Bradford's errors in his first two seasons, but I feel that he looks a lot better this year. I think he's doing pretty well with what he has, and if we keep everybody around and add somebody like Bowe or Wallace, I feel like he should statistically be a top 10 quarterback next year. He's certainly no Aaron Rodgers, but I definitely feel the Rams have their franchise quarterback.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/20/2012, 02:59 PM
His first year, They ran a lot of the things they did at oklahoma..and he had good stats, but they couldn't score..since then, they've tried more complicated game plans that really haven't panned out.

Anyway, Drop stats:

NFL Passes Dropped
Rank Team Passes Dropped
1 Detroit Lions 40
2 New England Patriots 36
3 Jacksonville Jaguars 36
4 Oakland Raiders 34
5 Denver Broncos 32
6 Green Bay Packers 32
7 Indianapolis Colts 31
8 New Orleans Saints 31
9 Cleveland Browns 30
10 Dallas Cowboys 29
11 Tennessee Titans 28
12 Atlanta Falcons 27
13 New York Giants 27
14 Washington Redskins 27
15 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 26
16 Buffalo Bills 25
17 Chicago Bears 25
18 San Francisco 49ers 25
19 Pittsburgh Steelers 24
20 Houston Texans 23
21 Kansas City Chiefs 23
22 Arizona Cardinals 23
23 Miami Dolphins 22
24 New York Jets 22
25 Cincinnati Bengals 21
26 St. Louis Rams 21
27 Philadelphia Eagles 20
28 Seattle Seahawks 19
29 Baltimore Ravens 18
30 Minnesota Vikings 17
31 Carolina Panthers 16
32 San Diego Chargers 15

stoops the eternal pimp
12/20/2012, 03:02 PM
I agree that it's not all about drops, but you'd agree that they suck, right? I can't think of any quarterback who has had less talent to throw to. Danny Amendola has been the superstar of Bradford's three years, and even he's only on the field about half of the time. People on here were definitely looking past a lot of Bradford's errors in his first two seasons, but I feel that he looks a lot better this year. I think he's doing pretty well with what he has, and if we keep everybody around and add somebody like Bowe or Wallace, I feel like he should statistically be a top 10 quarterback next year. He's certainly no Aaron Rodgers, but I definitely feel the Rams have their franchise quarterback.

They aren't great...Lots of teams that are in the same boat or worse..But it's like they have a team of Juaquin Iglesias's

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/20/2012, 04:04 PM
that's over when they trade their 1st rounder this upcoming draft to Arizona for Fitz. ;)That's exactly what I hope happens. I like the Cardinals somewhat, since I live in PHX, but the Sooners trump all pro teams, so I would LOVE to see Sam be able to have someone like Fitz to throw to. I don't know how much longer Fitz can be elite, but I would like to see it happen.

htownsooner7
12/20/2012, 04:13 PM
Chris Chester is starting to have one helluva NFL career. He has already started 77 games and has been to the playoffs, a few times deep in playoffs, for a top level squad. He's under the radar, but a really solid Pro.

oklaclarinet
12/20/2012, 06:12 PM
I'm not saying he would be my top choice, but I'm surprised that one of the options isn't Garrett Hartley.

rock on sooner
12/20/2012, 06:55 PM
The pro bowl is such a joke..I dont know anyone can guage a player's anything off of PB selections.

STEP, what are the parameters of selection and who does it? Coaches?
Players? Media? If they are regarded by SOMEONE as best at their position
in their division, seems to me that'd be a pretty good indication of how good
the player is. Jus askin...

SoonerStormchaser
12/20/2012, 09:38 PM
Real Roy Williams...he got a penalty named after him!

Scott D
12/20/2012, 10:04 PM
STEP, what are the parameters of selection and who does it? Coaches?
Players? Media? If they are regarded by SOMEONE as best at their position
in their division, seems to me that'd be a pretty good indication of how good
the player is. Jus askin...

you can vote at least once a day for the pro bowl.

BetterSoonerThanLater
12/21/2012, 02:24 AM
I think in 4 years or less, broyles will be on this list.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/21/2012, 09:34 AM
you can vote at least once a day for the pro bowl.

Pro Bowl, all star game in MLB and NBA...Those are popularity contests..I've seen guys make pro bowls that deserved it and then made it the next 2 seasons because of name recognition...Roy Williams being a perfect example.

HateTheWhorns
12/21/2012, 10:26 AM
Does Garrett Hartley count? So far has had a very good pro career and was a key contributor in the Saints super bowl run.

badger
12/21/2012, 10:34 AM
Does Garrett Hartley count? So far has had a very good pro career and was a key contributor in the Saints super bowl run.

Not knocking the Harrrrrrrrrr, but if you really think he's a better pro than TRRW, Tommie, Sammie, and everyone else on the list, feel free to write-in :)

Seriously, not knocking the Harrrrrr. It was awesome when he made the kick that sent Nawlins to the Super Bowl.
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0124/nfl_u_hartley04_576.jpg

I loved that the TV network broadcasting it interviewed him after the kick. I also loved seeing the photos of all the Nawlins chicks wanting to touch him... I wonder if he got to spend the night with all of them afterward on Bourbon Street :)
http://www.nflnewsworld.com/wp-content/uploads/Saints%E2%80%99-Garrett-Hartley%E2%80%99s-will-not-return-from-injury.jpg

So, he's got a Super Bowl ring, and unless I' mistaken, none of the Sooners on that list have one so...
http://www.bestofneworleans.com/binary/ae23/saints.jpg

**** the vikings! HAHA FAV-RUH!

OkieThunderLion
12/21/2012, 10:40 AM

Contributor but not close to the other guys listed.