PDA

View Full Version : Elf on the Shelf

SicEmBaylor
12/18/2012, 12:53 AM
I have never heard of this tradition until this month. It is possibly the creepiest holiday tradition I've ever heard of. Is Elf on the Shelf a recent thing or has this been around awhile?

Collier11
12/18/2012, 01:08 AM
no more creepy than having your small children sit on a fat old mans lap and tell him what they like :D

SicEmBaylor
12/18/2012, 01:15 AM
no more creepy than having your small children sit on a fat old mans lap and tell him what they like :D

To be fair, two very different types of creepy!

colleyvillesooner
12/18/2012, 05:13 AM
Been around in some form since 1980's.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elf_on_the_Shelf

We have one for our kids. His name is Norman. Our littlest one can't say it so she calls hi Norm. She always says "No touch Norm!" when we find him in the morning. They love looking for him.

It does never fail that at 11:30 we are laying in bed and have this conversation:

Her: "Did you move Norman?"
Me: "no"
Both "****"

colleyvillesooner
12/18/2012, 05:18 AM
Oh,and its super creepy.

There are some great pictures on this thread at shaggy bevo. Site has no filter so can be NSFW at times.

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/123528-The-Elf-on-the-Shelf...

picasso
12/18/2012, 08:57 AM
We don't partake.

badger
12/18/2012, 09:22 AM
I heard a funny story about a classroom elf that a janitor accidentally threw away because it had fallen into the wastebasket after hours. The classroom was apparently distraught over the missing elf, so the teacher had to get a new one.

The game was that the elf moved to a new spot each day before the kids arrived, and on that particular day, they couldn't find where the elf went :D

olevetonahill
12/18/2012, 10:11 AM
Never heard of this. whats the deal?
Aw never mind I dont really want to know.

colleyvillesooner
12/18/2012, 10:33 AM
Just a fun thing for kids at Christmas. Creepy but fun.

olevetonahill
12/18/2012, 10:55 AM
Just a fun thing for kids at Christmas. Creepy but fun.

OK I'll bite, What makes it creepy? Im guessin Yall buy some kinda elf doll and move it around to entertain the kids. whats so creepy?

soonerhubs
12/18/2012, 11:09 AM
1) Convincing children that an inanimate object is personified.
2) Manipulating children into obedience because said inanimate object will tell a fictitious bearded fat man they've been naughty. (Not that bearded fat men are creepy. :))
3) Telling children that this object has special powers.
4) The elf just looks creepy.

Is that enough? ;)

OK I'll bite, What makes it creepy? Im guessin Yall buy some kinda elf doll and move it around to entertain the kids. whats so creepy?

olevetonahill
12/18/2012, 11:18 AM
1) Convincing children that an inanimate object is personified.
2) Manipulating children into obedience because said inanimate object will tell a fictitious bearded fat man they've been naughty. (Not that bearded fat men are creepy. :))
3) Telling children that this object has special powers.
4) The elf just looks creepy.

Is that enough? ;)

Oh so kinda like tellin em Santa is gonna bring em presents
Kinda like tellin em Jesus sees everything they do
Kinda like convincin em the easter bunny hides eggs?

I dont get the difference

soonerbrat
12/18/2012, 12:19 PM

it's actually in the house, staring at you.

olevetonahill
12/18/2012, 12:24 PM
it's actually in the house, staring at you.

Ok, Like I said I never even heard of this untill now
If its Creepy to Yall then I guess its Creepy

yermom
12/18/2012, 12:29 PM

my work is done here

olevetonahill
12/18/2012, 12:33 PM
my work is done here

:D:D

colleyvillesooner
12/18/2012, 01:37 PM
Ths kids like it and you are correct, it's not much different than the Santa charade. Yes, the look is what makes him creepy. Especially when he does stuff like this:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/13/qaru2e6a.jpg

olevetonahill
12/18/2012, 01:44 PM
Ths kids like it and you are correct, it's not much different than the Santa charade. Yes, the look is what makes him creepy. Especially when he does stuff like this:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/13/qaru2e6a.jpg

That Troll thing to the Left of that Pic is Creepy as hell to me

I have 2 of em My Mom had

SicEmBaylor
12/18/2012, 03:54 PM

It's a creepy looking elf that "spies" on children and reports back to Santa on whether they've been good or bad. Parents secretly move the elf to a different location so it's always somewhere new doing its spying -- it also looks creepy as hell.

8timechamps
12/18/2012, 05:53 PM
I learned of this 'tradition' a couple of years ago. My kids are too old now, but I can see why it's popular. The best part of Christmas when my boys were little, was Santa. We always had fun with leaving cookies, putting out the reindeer food, etc.

You'd think this had been around since the 50's (by the look of the creepy elf). Couldn't they have designed something a little more, I don't know, less freakish looking?

SoonerLaw09
12/18/2012, 06:00 PM

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong...

FirstandGoal
12/18/2012, 06:20 PM
I learned of this 'tradition' a couple of years ago. My kids are too old now, but I can see why it's popular. The best part of Christmas when my boys were little, was Santa. We always had fun with leaving cookies, putting out the reindeer food, etc.

You'd think this had been around since the 50's (by the look of the creepy elf). Couldn't they have designed something a little more, I don't know, less freakish looking?

LOL, its is very freakish looking. I dunno, it might have freaked my kids out and I don't know if I could of stood to sleep in the house just knowing that thing was in there.
Yeah, I have to agree that Christmas isn't as fun as it used to be when the kiddos were still young and believed in Santa.

picasso
12/19/2012, 12:42 AM
How about Beer on a shelf?

Kids, where's mah beer? No?

KantoSooner
12/19/2012, 03:33 PM
I find it heartwarming to reflect that one potential root myth leading up to the whole Santa Claus thing is a Mongolian fairy tale told to comfort children in the dead of winter. In this story, a long lost 'Uncle' would emerge from a blizzard carrying food he had stolen from an enemy village for the children. The children in the story survived the winter due to 'Uncle's' brave raid on the enemy, who all starved to death in the cold as a result.

I like to think of it as 'Zero Sum Christmas'. Adds a sporting aspect to the whole thing.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/19/2012, 04:27 PM
Never heard of this. whats the deal?
Aw never mind I dont really want to know.

Vet, trust me, you don't want to know...

Its like an elitist club for all the soccer moms to get into...My nephew and neices have 2 elves... Count me as a sceptic who does not wish to spoil Santa Claus for a "new tradition". Santa is omnicient, thats all you need...