PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Tight End recruits

8timechamps
12/17/2012, 10:19 PM
TE is a kind of an enigma in Heuple's playbook, and I think that has kind of scared a couple of recruits away (Beau Sandland, DeSean Smith, etc.), but apparently there is one guy that could flip his commit, and soon:

Emmanuel Bibb (6'3" 240lbs, Arizona Western CC, Yuma, AZ) - Bibb committed to Iowa State back in June, but then Oklahoma came calling and made Bibb an offer. Bibb made an official visit to Norman for the OU/OSU game, and Coach Kittle made an in-home visit with Bibb and his parents last week (in Chicago).

JUCO signing day is on December 19, and Bibb may not make an announcement at all (he may just sign a letter with OU or ISU). We'll know soon.

jk the sooner fan
12/17/2012, 10:23 PM
are we going to turn him into a D-lineman too? ;)

i can't remember a season where we used the TE less than we did this past season

8timechamps
12/17/2012, 10:33 PM
are we going to turn him into a D-lineman too? ;)

i can't remember a season where we used the TE less than we did this past season

No kidding.

I don't know if it's because the talent isn't good enough (although I thought Green looked good the few times he was on the receiving end of a pass), or if Heuple just doesn't use the TE. Either way, I think it's scared some recruits away.

jk the sooner fan
12/17/2012, 10:45 PM
i dont think they handled the Geno Grissom deal very well in the summer camp - Stoops coming out and declaring Grissom to be this "next coming of Keith Jackson (my words)" - i dunno - what a bust that whole deal was - and he was suspended from the start - did they not know that was coming?

Mjcpr
12/18/2012, 09:10 AM
I am no expert like others around here but I'd think Bell *might* use the TE a little more than Landry did because he isn't going to be as advanced of a downfield passer so he may be looking more at checkdowns....RB, TE, FB. We'll see. Heupel had a pretty good TE when he played so I'm sure he recognizes the value.

yermom
12/18/2012, 09:27 AM
i think i said it in another thread, but some of them "not using TEs" was Millard. i think he basically played a lot of TE the way we use them.

wasn't one of our position coach positions "Tightends and Fullbacks"?

he made the all-big 12 2nd team as a TE

jk the sooner fan
12/18/2012, 09:28 AM
I am no expert like others around here but I'd think Bell *might* use the TE a little more than Landry did because he isn't going to be as advanced of a downfield passer so he may be looking more at checkdowns....RB, TE, FB. We'll see. Heupel had a pretty good TE when he played so I'm sure he recognizes the value.

what does that say about Bradford?

Mjcpr
12/18/2012, 09:59 AM
I have no idea.

jk the sooner fan
12/18/2012, 10:10 AM
because he threw to the TE's - A LOT

Mjcpr
12/18/2012, 10:17 AM
That he was better at going through his progressions than Landry? That he had better TE's than Landry?

I am not making my points to you very well today but what I was trying to say is that new, unpolished QB's or QB's who aren't that great at throwing tend to throw a lot of predetermined routes to one WR and/or they throw a lot of screen passes and/or they dump off a lot of short passes to the back's and TE's.

Widescreen
12/18/2012, 12:06 PM
That he was better at going through his progressions than Landry? That he had better TE's than Landry?

I am not making my points to you very well today but what I was trying to say is that new, unpolished QB's or QB's who aren't that great at throwing tend to throw a lot of predetermined routes to one WR and/or they throw a lot of screen passes and/or they dump off a lot of short passes to the back's and TE's.
What are you trying to say?

Mjcpr
12/18/2012, 12:13 PM
What are you trying to say?

Texas sucks.

Widescreen
12/18/2012, 03:58 PM
Oh, yes. Carry on.

8timechamps
12/18/2012, 05:43 PM
The TE position just flat out sucked this year. I think a lot of that had to do with the attrition and graduations at the position in the previous few years. Green was never supposed to be the answer, just an addition. Taylor McNamara is supposed to be an outstanding TE, but he was a true freshman and injured.

I agree with jk about the Grissom situation, just wasn't handled very well.

I really think McNamara will be very good when he gains some experience.

Widescreen
12/18/2012, 06:19 PM
I think Landry threw at McNamara once and it went about 3 feet over his head.

Salt City Sooner
12/18/2012, 07:39 PM
what does that say about Bradford?
That he had one heck of a talent at that postion that LJ never had.

8timechamps
12/18/2012, 09:18 PM
I think Landry threw at McNamara once and it went about 3 feet over his head.

I remember that play, against KSU I think. There was also a play (again, I think in the KSU game) that Brandon Green was wide open in the end zone, and LJ over/under threw him.

8timechamps
12/19/2012, 11:59 PM
Bibbs signed with Iowa State today. I think this was a case of too little, too late. We'll see if there is any urgency to sign a TE in this class. Already have a recruit for the 2014 class that is very high on OU.

OkieThunderLion
12/20/2012, 11:46 AM

Bell might be a TE.

OkieThunderLion
12/20/2012, 11:48 AM
because he threw to the TE's - A LOT

Wilson played 3 TEs (Gresh/JJF/Eldridge) a lot of the time in '06 and '07. Have no other choice but to throw to them. In '08 Gresham emerged as a superstar.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/20/2012, 11:51 AM
Bell might be a TE.

yup

OkieThunderLion
12/20/2012, 11:52 AM
The TE position just flat out sucked this year. I think a lot of that had to do with the attrition and graduations at the position in the previous few years. Green was never supposed to be the answer, just an addition. Taylor McNamara is supposed to be an outstanding TE, but he was a true freshman and injured.

I agree with jk about the Grissom situation, just wasn't handled very well.

I really think McNamara will be very good when he gains some experience.

Really had more to do with getting Millard and the slot receiver on the field, than the TE position itself.

You get 5 skilled players. OU's best 5 easily included the FB and 3rd WR. After Millard only played 9 snaps vs K-State, I think Stoops had a 'Come to Jesus' moment with Heupel.

yermom
12/20/2012, 12:03 PM
Bell might be a TE.

that would be a fun wrinkle to throw at the Aggies. i can't imagine the panic as Landry and Bell come out together in a 2 TE set on short yardage or at the goal line

Mjcpr
12/20/2012, 12:54 PM
that would be a fun wrinkle to throw at the Aggies. i can't imagine the panic as Landry and Bell come out together in a 2 TE set on short yardage or at the goal line

I don't get it. Would they be afraid of his blocking, the TE end around or the ever popular flea flicker pass from the TE? :confused:

jk the sooner fan
12/20/2012, 12:57 PM
I don't get it. Would they be afraid of his blocking, the TE end around or the ever popular flea flicker pass from the TE? :confused:

my god you are football stupid

haven't you ever heard of the Bellcat formation?

yermom
12/20/2012, 01:49 PM

Bell could start out at TE and motion into the Belldozer :D

KantoSooner
12/20/2012, 02:07 PM
We could let Landry lead block a couple of times until he worked those I-don't-like-contact jitters out.

Mjcpr
12/20/2012, 03:14 PM
Bell could start out at TE and motion into the Belldozer :D

What would Landry do?

Ruf/Nek7
12/20/2012, 03:23 PM
Damn! I thought this was a thread about girl's soccer. I'm out of here.

8timechamps
12/27/2012, 09:43 PM
The most probable TE to commit to the Sooners is Jason Reese (6-5. 222lb - Euless, Texas, Scouts, Inc. 3 star). Reese has not yet been offered by the Sooners, but most likely will be. The hold up? Texas de-commit Durham Smythe (6-5, 230 lbs - Belton, Texas, Scouts, Inc. 4 star) is rumored to have had an in-home visit from OU. When Smythe de-committed from the Longhorns, he said he had no interest in the Sooners, but apparently he had enough to host the coaches. It still seems like a reach to get Smythe, which would lead me to believe Reese is the next in line.