PDA

View Full Version : Stoops to address the media on Tuesday

8timechamps
12/17/2012, 09:22 PM
Tomorrow is the first time Coach Stoops will be in front of the press since the TCU post game presser. There will be plenty of questions for him to answer, but I'm sure his focus will be the Cotton Bowl.

I've heard that Saunders will be playing in the Cotton Bowl. That's not a confirmed statement, but that's the rumor. We'll see.

olevetonahill
12/17/2012, 09:23 PM
Tomorrow is the first time Coach Stoops will be in front of the press since the TCU post game presser. There will be plenty of questions for him to answer, but I'm sure his focus will be the Cotton Bowl.

I've heard that Saunders will be playing in the Cotton Bowl. That's not a confirmed statement, but that's the rumor. We'll see.

Will that be on FoxOK?

Widescreen
12/17/2012, 09:26 PM
Come on Kuzydym. Ask something really bizarre!

8timechamps
12/17/2012, 10:02 PM
Will that be on FoxOK?

Let me see what I can find, not sure.

8timechamps
12/17/2012, 10:05 PM
Will that be on FoxOK?

SoonerSports.tv shows it will be streaming at noon, so I suspect that it will be on whatever Fox Sports Net channel you get Sooner Sports on (sounds like FoxOK for those in Oklahoma).

BoulderSooner79
12/18/2012, 12:27 AM

That would be huge, but it doesn't sound Stoops-like.

Collier11
12/18/2012, 12:30 AM
first offense, suspended 2 quarters is my guess

redkid
12/18/2012, 02:16 AM
first offense, suspended 2 quarters is my guess

agreed,,but thinking 1 qt.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/18/2012, 02:33 AM
agreed,,but thinking 1 qt.Keep him out of the first DEFENSIVE series.

stoopified
12/18/2012, 07:16 AM
Keep him out of the first DEFENSIVE series.I say we teach Saunders a REAL lesson and not let him play at all , ever again.........on DEFENSE. :)

badger
12/18/2012, 09:39 AM
Oh boy, here it comes...

Media: Long winded question filled with lots of words while I explain myself so that you don't belittle me with a short answer...

Stoops: Short sentenced answer with upset facial expression.

(awkward pause as media hopes he expands on his answer.... and he's not...)

Media: Since the room is now tense, a lighten-up question asking you about one of your star starters that's key to your offense/defense/special teams.

Stoops: Star starter is key to our offense/defense/special teams. He is a special player and works hard in the practice and I'm can't say enough about him.

(but apparently he did, because he stopped talking again)

Media: Now that you got a positive question and answer in, I'm going to get brave and go in for the kill and mention that despite being the Big 12 co-champs, you're going to Dallas. Letdown among your teen/early 20s dudes that they're not going to New Orleans this New Year's?

Stoops: Angry answer that makes you feel stupid for asking. Very pointed tone with almost sarcastic facial expression as I belittle you for daring to ask such a stupid thing.

Media: ...awkward again. Let's go with a tweener question about bowl preparation for an opponent you remember from the Big 12.

Stoops: Good things about Kevin Sumlin. Respectful things about Texas A&M. Mentions of tradition among the Aggie fanbase. Should be a good game with a good atmosphere.

Media: I have assembled a lot of statistics for a column I am preparing and I am going to ask you about these statistics that I have assembled. You're glaring at me, so I'm going to talk faster to get to my point quicker.

Stoops: I'm just going to remind you how little I think of your statistics and your opinion. That should give you something to column about, columnist.

(another awkward pause)

Media: Time for another softball to get past that... let's go with recent coaching changes around college football. Your feelers on this subject matter, sir stoops?

Stoops: Not much to say. Not much of an answer. Not really talking positively or negatively on this subject matter. But I'm going to not make you feel foolish since I don't mind this question.

SoonersEnFuego
12/18/2012, 10:07 AM
I say we teach Saunders a REAL lesson and not let him play at all , ever again.........on DEFENSE. :)

Punt return is technically defense I believe, so let's not go that far!

jk the sooner fan
12/18/2012, 10:27 AM
Oh boy, here it comes...

Media: Long winded question filled with lots of words while I explain myself so that you don't belittle me with a short answer...

Media: Since the room is now tense, a lighten-up question asking you about one of your star starters that's key to your offense/defense/special teams.

Stoops: Star starter is key to our offense/defense/special teams. He is a special player and works hard in the practice and I'm can't say enough about him.

Media: Now that you got a positive question and answer in, I'm going to get brave and go in for the kill and mention that despite being the Big 12 co-champs, you're going to Dallas. Letdown among your teen/early 20s dudes that they're not going to New Orleans this New Year's?

Stoops: Angry answer that makes you feel stupid for asking. Very pointed tone with almost sarcastic facial expression as I belittle you for daring to ask such a stupid thing.

Media: ...awkward again. Let's go with a tweener question about bowl preparation for an opponent you remember from the Big 12.

Stoops: Good things about Kevin Sumlin. Respectful things about Texas A&M. Mentions of tradition among the Aggie fanbase. Should be a good game with a good atmosphere.

Media: I have assembled a lot of statistics for a column I am preparing and I am going to ask you about these statistics that I have assembled. You're glaring at me, so I'm going to talk faster to get to my point quicker.

Stoops: I'm just going to remind you how little I think of your statistics and your opinion. That should give you something to column about, columnist.

(another awkward pause)

Media: Time for another softball to get past that... let's go with recent coaching changes around college football. Your feelers on this subject matter, sir stoops?

Stoops: Not much to say. Not much of an answer. Not really talking positively or negatively on this subject matter. But I'm going to not make you feel foolish since I don't mind this question.

a couple of thoughts

did all that really play out quietly in your head before you posted it?

have you ever been accused of over thinking things?

badger
12/18/2012, 10:29 AM
a couple of thoughts

did all that really play out quietly in your head before you posted it?

have you ever been accused of over thinking things?

I've been thinking about all of that stuff for a very long time, actually. I've just never typed it out. Stoops press conferences are among the most boring pressers in the history of ever. Not necessarily a bad thing, since we won't get embarrassed by them a la John L. "Smile!" Smith.

goingoneight
12/18/2012, 10:50 AM
Stoops is plenty interesting and informative when he doesn't have to answer stupid questions. I'd get irritated with those after 15 years, too. "Hey, coach... ummm... do you think the key player being suspended changes things from a gameplanning standpoint? Ummm... so why did it take you so long to suspend him? Ummm... so, I know you said they were suspended until further notice and not to ask again and that you would notify us when you reinstate them-- but, are your suspended guys going to play this week?"

Soonerjeepman
12/18/2012, 12:51 PM
Badge..I thought it was pretty funny...I can it exactly that way...good job! now I don't need to watch. ;-)

badger
12/18/2012, 01:13 PM
Stoops most fun Q&A moments were from the random callers (that are no longer allowed) that don't have to even give their real names and can ask anything... even if most of them just went on two minute tangents about how much they love him :)

Now that everything's so closed-door pre-planned and canned, it's pretty bland. But, bland isn't always a bad thing. I mean, our football results have been very expected, very bland recently too --- no national title shot, no Heisman candidates by season's end and even no first round draft picks since the Samme/GK/Trent/Jermaine year, but we're still getting winning records, bowl berths and even the occasional (co-)conference championship.

revelladee
12/18/2012, 01:35 PM
So, since I missed it....anything interesting happen.....what did he say about Saunders??

12/18/2012, 01:36 PM
Badge..I thought it was pretty funny...I can imagine it exactly that way...good job! now I don't need to watch. ;-)Good jorb, Badger!

Mjcpr
12/18/2012, 01:37 PM
Stop it. This is like giving your dog a treat when it ****s in the floor.

olevetonahill
12/18/2012, 01:58 PM
So, since I missed it....anything interesting happen.....what did he say about Saunders??

Said Its being handled internally and when something is decided HE would announce it

badger
12/18/2012, 02:10 PM
Said Its being handled internally and when something is decided HE would announce it

Stoops suffers from being in the same state as Gundy, who has absolutely no clue what is going on with his program at times to the point of giving media misinformed misinformation. Black uniforms this week coach? No. (yes!). This guy gonna be the starting quarterback, coach? No. (yes!).

I really think this is why media keeps checking on player status and everything else more than seemingly necessary, because they're used to dealing with [hairGel]

olevetonahill
12/18/2012, 03:01 PM
Heh they asked him about naming a New startin QB in the spring . IM guessin Yall can figure his answer

thecrimsoncrusader
12/18/2012, 03:02 PM
I guess they stopped asking about Roy Finch. heh

Seamus
12/18/2012, 03:20 PM
Oh boy, here it comes...

(another awkward pause)

Eff. Een. BRILLIANT.

Johnny Utah
12/18/2012, 04:41 PM
Oh boy, here it comes...

(another awkward pause)

"Crushed it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no6uSdvBlCI&list=FLsAYnTRBIEkVuC-xdCJ_GFA&index=2

badger
12/18/2012, 05:11 PM
Did I really crush it. A comparison between the real Stoops presser (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121812aac.html) and my sh!tty attempt at humor...

Fake Bob Stoops: Short sentenced answer with upset facial expression.

On whether Jalen Saunders will play in the bowl game:
"Those matters are handled internally. Once that's determined, I will say so."

Fake Bob Stoops: Star starter is key to our offense/defense/special teams. He is a special player and works hard in the practice and I'm can't say enough about him.

On this being Landry Jones' last game:
"I don't get sentimental about any one guy. I was that way whether it was Adrian (Peterson), Sam (Bradford). Landry is special, we all love him for sure, he's been a great competitor. The way he fought down the stretch, and the way he played. It's time. Every guy has his time in college and it's time for them to move on. He'll do well in college."

Fake Bob Stoops: Good things about Kevin Sumlin. Respectful things about Texas A&M. Mentions of tradition among the Aggie fanbase. Should be a good game with a good atmosphere.

On Kevin Sumlin:
"He's bright, he's got a good offensive mind. He's a great working, he relates to kids well. He's competitive. Kevin has all the great qualities you need.

On Texas A&M in the SEC:
"I didn't have that many thoughts about what they're move may be. I knew he was going to an excellent program and he'd do an excellent job. I was just excited for him for the opportunity. They've transitioned in a very positive way, it's pretty obvious because of the situation they're in and how they competed in the year."

Fake Media: Media: Time for another softball to get past that... let's go with recent coaching changes around college football. Your feelers on this subject matter, sir stoops?

Fake Bob Stoops: Not much to say. Not much of an answer. Not really talking positively or negatively on this subject matter. But I'm going to not make you feel foolish since I don't mind this question.

"The only thing you could probably change is the entire recruiting calendar. This time of year is probably the most difficult. You're recruiting, coaching changes, talking to juniors, so many different things are happening. And bowl games. If you're in that situation, where you have turnover, it's tough to manage.

Meh, I had my fun. The biggest thing that I missed is that the media always asks about suspended/injured/??? players and Stoops always never answers. :)

8timechamps
12/18/2012, 05:22 PM
Yeah badge, you pretty much nailed it.

For anyone that didn't see/hear the press conference, here a few highlights:

* Saunders discipline is being dealt with internally, and Stoops will announce whether he'll play in the Cotton Bowl when the decision is made.

* Everyone has had time to heal. Everyone was energetic and ready to get back to practice last weekend.

* Stoops doesn't like the way the schedule took away a week of recruiting, says they'll "look at that in the future".

* Per Stoops, OU is in a "great place" in recruiting, doesn't care/worry about what the rating services say. Says it's ridiculous to rate the class before they've even signed all 25.

* Tyrus Thompson won't receive any further discipline for his penalty in the TCU game.

The rest was a lot of dumb questions ("When will you name the 2013 starting QB", "What's the situation with Saunders"-after he already adressed a similar question, etc.).

12/18/2012, 05:27 PM
Well...what ABOUT Finch and Whaley? and, the 2014 commit/de-commit?

8timechamps
12/18/2012, 05:40 PM

He'll answer that when he answers the Jaz Reynolds suspension questions.

badger
12/18/2012, 05:45 PM

Fake Bob Stoops: Angry that you asked about specific players. Dislike for any not-positive talk about my guys specifically by name in the media. Get ready for more awkward pauses and silences as I end this answer shortly.

What happened in Newtown, Conn., last Friday hit me harder than anything since the first plane hit the World Trade Center.

Fake Bob Stoops: Asking will make you feel dumb because I'm going to make you feel dumb now. Handling matter internally. Will announce otherwise never.

jk the sooner fan
12/18/2012, 06:01 PM

gold

tator
12/18/2012, 06:30 PM

I can't believe you, Major Crapper. Badger spent at least 3 hours typing that post, just to make you laugh!

I'll be praying for you.

StoopTroup
12/18/2012, 06:39 PM
Stoops: first of all, Thank You all for coming today and Merry Christmas to you all. I'd like to also state for the record that all decisions regarding player discipline have been made by University Officials and I have reviewed all of those Recommended Decisions and also used many of the Speculated Fan Viewpoints that have been suggested by the many OU Fans at SoonerFans.com. We chose SoonerFans.com as all of the others suck.

That said...we have decided to double our levels of disciplinary action that we have avoided to enforce in the past and all of you can rest easy in knowing that we will comply with any of the NCAA's Rules that would result in any loss of income for the University.

Thanks for coming and Happy New Year to you all. See you on the 4th of January.

Widescreen
12/18/2012, 08:37 PM
I can't believe you, Major Crapper. Badger spent at least 3 hours typing that post, just to make you laugh!

I'll be praying for you.

We gon run you off.

VA Sooner
12/18/2012, 08:46 PM
Oh boy, here it comes...

(another awkward pause)

Baj.... this is right on the money. It's the pre-lim screen copy before every presser... how did you get a hold of it and has Bob noticed it's missing yet?

Damn funny stuff... LMAO.

sanantoniosooner
12/18/2012, 09:43 PM
Funny is subjective.

badger
12/18/2012, 10:19 PM
i appreciate the kind words, but i type fast so i didn't really put much thought into it. i just saw that a presser was announced and groaned thinking about what stupid questions there would be with stoops glaring through the entire thing. and then before i knew it, i had typed a novel.

apologies to those of you that hated it. i know we are lucky to have stoops as a coach. i just wish sometimes that press conferences wouldn't be so predictable. but, i wish for a winning football program more than a wtf press conference.

badger
12/18/2012, 10:21 PM
Stoops: first of all, Thank You all for coming today and Merry Christmas to you all. I'd like to also state for the record that all decisions regarding player discipline have been made by University Officials and I have reviewed all of those Recommended Decisions and also used many of the Speculated Fan Viewpoints that have been suggested by the many OU Fans at SoonerFans.com. We chose SoonerFans.com as all of the others suck.

That said...we have decided to double our levels of disciplinary action that we have avoided to enforce in the past and all of you can rest easy in knowing that we will comply with any of the NCAA's Rules that would result in any loss of income for the University.

Thanks for coming and Happy New Year to you all. See you on the 4th of January.

lol. i remember before fans were disallowed from asking questions that he was all like "whatever you guys want... email your suggestions in" to a fan that suggested he not take out his senior starting quarterback on third down in favor of belldozer :D

BigTip
12/19/2012, 08:27 AM
Are people really criticizing Badger's very funny post? Or, hopefully, just giving some good natured grief?

badger
12/19/2012, 09:08 AM
Are people really criticizing Badger's very funny post? Or, hopefully, just giving some good natured grief?

I appreciate people coming to my defense, but it's the holidays, I've been ill lately and there are far worse things going on in the world today than some Internet criticism, so I can take it if so.

I can understand people wondering why the eff I would type out a novel --- I'm a fast typer. It's why I can have more than 34k posts but they are all long-winded and ranty. You all must not be sick of me yet if you haven't set me to "ignore."

Merry Christmas, you ****ing hillbillies. :P

sanantoniosooner
12/19/2012, 09:33 AM
After several role play posts I imagine her working out the details with action figures before typing the final score.

badger
12/19/2012, 09:36 AM
After several role play posts I imagine her working out the details with action figures before typing the final score.

now you're just encouraging me to find images of action figures and post a bunch of random dialog with them... but i'm on antibiotics and only staying awake via caffeine, so maybe someone else can do it

sanantoniosooner
12/19/2012, 09:48 AM
I'd say go for it.

One question though...Is "annoying" the vehicle or the destination?

bmjlr
12/19/2012, 09:55 AM
I'd say go for it.

One question though...Is "annoying" the vehicle or the destination?

Actually, you could post a picture of the action figure your were playing with before it got lodged in your a**! Might want to clean it before you post though.

Mjcpr
12/19/2012, 10:06 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/23114991.jpg

badger
12/19/2012, 10:16 AM
Eff it. I'll get you started so that you start talking sh!t about me again:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZP9gk9LrL._AA300_.jpg
AD: Watch as I vault into even further heights of NFL greatness!

http://i47.tinypic.com/x9c0p.jpg
Dickerson: Noooo, that is MY record! Stop being better than me!

12/19/2012, 10:20 AM
Eff it. I'll get you started so that you start talking sh!t about me again:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZP9gk9LrL._AA300_.jpg
AD: Watch as I vault into even further heights of NFL greatness!

http://i47.tinypic.com/x9c0p.jpg
Dickerson: Noooo, that is MY record! Stop being better than me!Odds are not so good that AD will break Dickerson's record. He's held it for a long time, now. T'would be nice to see a Sooner as the record holder.

badger
12/19/2012, 10:29 AM
Odds are not so good that AD will break Dickerson's record. He's held it for a long time, now. T'would be nice to see a Sooner as the record holder.

Stoops actually was asked about AD in his presser yesterday (since I'm not trying to derail this thread). Here's what he said:

On the first time he watched RB Adrian Peterson:
"When you watched him play, he was just different than everybody, it wasn't close. You could tell the buzz of the players. There wasn't one conditioning drill where he wasn't first. It didn't matter the situation. He'd hit another gear, wouldn't let anyone beat him. He's just different. This isn't the first time everyone's seeing it. He's so competitive, tough mentally, that's what separates him."

On if Peterson can be the best running back:
"I would guess so, I don't see why he couldn't be. He's still fairly young and has a bunch of carries left in him."

On Adrian Peterson not winning the Heisman as a freshman:
"I don't think he didn't win it because he was a freshman. I think because Jason White got a good number of his votes, given that Jason came in third. Had Jason not been a part of it, maybe he would have gotten who knows how many he needed to beat the guy. I never felt Adrian didn't win it because he was a freshman. Unfortunately, or fortunately for us, we had another guy in the race. I think somehow it can make it tougher to win."

I agree that AD can go into NFL lore as the best back ever (although I'd rather it be for another team since I don't think the Vikings will ever compete for a Super Bowl, with or without him), but I don't think it's fair to say that Jason White cost AD the Heisman.

I remember Jason saying publicly that he didn't want the Heisman again. He told people that he was going to us his Heisman vote (all winners get a vote themselves) on AD. He did everything he could (except play bad enough to not warrant deserving the Heisman again) to get AD the Heisman that year.

OU put on a really good campaign for him too. Alas, USC ran the "he used to be a fat cross-eyed kid" trick to garner Leinart votes.

jk the sooner fan
12/19/2012, 10:31 AM
funny IS subjective

hate IS a strong word

cvsooner
12/19/2012, 12:21 PM
Reggie Bush also got Heisman votes that year. Didn't detract from Leinart's total, apparently. My own take is the "it's never been given to a freshman" hurdle was still too high. Johnny Heismanziel needs to send a thank you card to AD. I'm hoping OUr defense can send his family condolences on Jan. 5.

StoopTroup
12/19/2012, 03:01 PM
I appreciate people coming to my defense, but it's the holidays, I've been ill lately and there are far worse things going on in the world today than some Internet criticism, so I can take it if so.

I can understand people wondering why the eff I would type out a novel --- I'm a fast typer. It's why I can have more than 34k posts but they are all long-winded and ranty. You all must not be sick of me yet if you haven't set me to "ignore."

Merry Christmas, you ****ing hillbillies. :P

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

CowboyMRW
12/19/2012, 09:01 PM
Did he do this during the middle of the press conference?

http://soonerpsycho.com/spfarksandpics/stoops.gif

Soonerjeepman
12/19/2012, 09:28 PM
I vote for FUNNY as he!!...

dennis580
12/22/2012, 03:03 PM
I say we teach Saunders a REAL lesson and not let him play at all , ever again.........on DEFENSE. :)

I am in favor of this harsh punishment.

VA Sooner
12/22/2012, 06:27 PM
Definitely funny.