PDA

View Full Version : If you're SE and make >$45K, welcome to the 1%

Bourbon St Sooner
12/17/2012, 11:44 AM
If you're self-employed and making more the $45K a year, you are rich. Well I assume you are since Obama said he would only raise taxes on the rich.

This really is one of the most perverse taxes I've ever seen. Shouldn't we be trying to get away from employer provided health care. This is another payoff to big business at the expense of the little guy. Where are you corporate welfare haters that voted for Obama? This is what you voted for.

Health insurers and small business groups are drawing attention to a little-noticed provision of the Affordable Care Act they say will raise individual premiums hundreds of dollars a year.

A new fee, intended to help expand coverage to more Americans, will cost insurers $8 billion in 2014 — a little less than 2% of the roughly $500 billion in insurance premiums subject to the charge — and rise to $14.3 billion by 2018. The costs, which analysts expect will be passed on to consumers, would amount to an additional $2,171 in premium costs over the next decade for a single person, or $5,140 for a family of four, according a report released this month that was commissioned by a trade group for health insurers.

Not all Americans will feel the pinch, however. The higher premiums will mostly apply to those who can’t buy insurance through their employers and make too much to qualify for a federal subsidy, says Matthew Coffina, senior equity analyst for Morningstar. Of the nine million people projected to buy health coverage on the new insurance exchanges being created as part of the health law in 2014, one million of them will do so without subsidies, according to the Congressional Budget Office; only those workers who make less than 400% of the federal poverty level (or about $45,000 for an individual) qualify.

Most other Americans will be able to offset or avoid the higher costs altogether. Three out of five workers who get insurance from their employers are in a plan where the employer — and not the insurance company — is responsible for paying their workers’ medical bills, according to an annual health benefits survey by the Kaiser Family Foundation and the Health Research & Educational Trust. Those types of premiums are exempt from the fee, meaning that the costs are unlikely to be passed on to those workers. With more companies expected to move to this model, fewer workers will be affected by the new tax, says Phil Seligman, an equity analyst with S&P Capital IQ.

Supporters of the health-care overhaul say revenue from the fee on health insurers, along with other new medical industry taxes and fees, are intended help bring coverage to more Americans. In a statement, a spokeswoman for the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services said it’s misleading to focus on one provision of the law, since “taken together, the law will reduce costs” for young people and families.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/new-health-care-fee-draws-fire-2012-12-13?dist=lcountdown

badger
12/17/2012, 12:22 PM
I project more and more people to say "eff it" when offered the chance to deduct health insurance costs from their already-small paycheck. As for the penalty that people have to pay if they don't have insurance? There's tons of tax dodgers and tax protesters out there that get away with it.

yermom
12/17/2012, 12:29 PM
you are right, sounds like ****e

TheHumanAlphabet
12/17/2012, 12:57 PM
effing vajayjay Pelosi..."We have to pass to find out what's in it..." effing vajayjay...

Bourbon St Sooner
12/17/2012, 01:05 PM
I mean this is a tax directly on small businesses while exempting large corporations. None of these a-holes would campaign on this ****. But they'll sneak it into some massive program and hope nobody notices. Of course, the sheep never will notice.

badger
12/17/2012, 01:21 PM
I mean this is a tax directly on small businesses while exempting large corporations. None of these a-holes would campaign on this ****. But they'll sneak it into some massive program and hope nobody notices. Of course, the sheep never will notice.

they'll notice when 50 percent of their paycheck is withheld due to taxes... think more people will be requesting getting paid in cash in the future? :(

Midtowner
12/17/2012, 01:23 PM
You're focusing on just one little provision. You can't do that with such a large bill. This is one little tiny aspect of a large framework. If you want to attack the idea of delivering coverage to more Americans, fine, but focusing on some tiny little part like you are would be like me calling you a monster for wanting to throw kids off of their parents' insurance plans while they're in college.

BigTip
12/17/2012, 01:35 PM
You're focusing on just one little provision. You can't do that with such a large bill. This is one little tiny aspect of a large framework. If you want to attack the idea of delivering coverage to more Americans, fine, but focusing on some tiny little part like you are would be like me calling you a monster for wanting to throw kids off of their parents' insurance plans while they're in college.

Wrong.
Again.
The "tiny little parts" of this bill are where it fails. If a particular part of it is going to screw me, which it will, then I don't like the whole. Simple.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/17/2012, 01:37 PM
No Mid, it's just another part of the bill that's absolute garbage. Obama didn't pass a bill that said kids in college can stay on their parents' insurance (that they probably won't be able to afford if they are SE). He passed a massive crapfest and this is just one of the provisions that he wasn't trumpeting in his re-election campaign. I'm just spreading the light.

I'm glad you're happy with the tax though Mid since you'll be the one paying it. I work for a major oil company that self insures and, thus, will be exempted by the tax. Think about that every time you fill up your tank.

Midtowner
12/17/2012, 01:39 PM
Wrong.
Again.
The "tiny little parts" of this bill are where it fails. If a particular part of it is going to screw me, which it will, then I don't like the whole. Simple.

The problem a lot of you have is that you're fine with getting free stuff, but when the government asks you to pay for it, you balk.

That's not how this works.

Midtowner
12/17/2012, 01:40 PM
No Mid, it's just another part of the bill that's absolute garbage. Obama didn't pass a bill that said kids in college can stay on their parents' insurance (that they probably won't be able to afford if they are SE). He passed a massive crapfest and this is just one of the provisions that he wasn't trumpeting in his re-election campaign. I'm just spreading the light.

I'm glad you're happy with the tax though Mid since you'll be the one paying it. I work for a major oil company that self insures and, thus, will be exempted by the tax. Think about that every time you fill up your tank.

Without doing research, it seems like the tax is geared at folks who will be participating in the exchanges, maybe trying to recoup some of the expenses for those exchanges. Since your company isn't participating in an exchange, it doesn't pay and that seems fine.

achiro
12/17/2012, 01:42 PM
The problem a lot of you have is that you're fine with getting free stuff, but when the government asks you to pay for it, you balk.

That's not how this works.
This may actually be the stupidest thing you've EVER said here. The people getting free stuff aren't the ones paying for it and that is the ****ing problem.

SoonerorLater
12/17/2012, 01:50 PM

This isn't a small issue if you're one of the affected. Thus the axiom "The Devil is in the Details".

BigTip
12/17/2012, 02:10 PM
This may actually be the stupidest thing you've EVER said here. The people getting free stuff aren't the ones paying for it and that is the ****ing problem.

Thanks for saying this. I read Midtowner's post and couldn't even fathom what he was saying. It was that incomprehensible. And just think what you are implying when you said, "this may actually be the stupidest thing you've EVER said." Imagine all that statement covers! lol