PDA

View Full Version : Newest DT offer, Charles Walker

Ruf/Nek7
12/17/2012, 10:05 AM
I started to research the enigma that is Charles Walker. The fact that he is a 2 star (per rivals) yet garnishes so much attention is fascinating to say the least. I am not claiming to be an expert but I am a football coach and after watching his highlight films, I have decided that Walker is very worthy of a 3 star rating and should be receiving more offers than what he has.

Here are some good things I saw in his videos. He has good size and can be explosive off the snap which is what you need at the 2 technique. He is a 5A student athlete so that means he is going up against some stiff competition so it is not like he is pounding away on smaller, weaker, 3A teams. And the fact that he is playing this well in Dallas should speak for itself. He has a real nose for the ball and is extremely aggressive, when he chooses to.

Some flaws i noticed. First off, he relies too much on his body and really avoids gaining separation from the blocker. He will have to learn to use his hands more as he will surely face stronger, bigger, and more powerful O-linemen at the college level. Secondly, I would love to see full game footage as it seemed as though some of his highlights showed a less explosive first step and some "leaning" on the blocker. The issue with watching highlights is just that, they are the players good plays. It leads me to question his work ethic. Now being that he is an underrated athlete (IMO) he may have a stronger desire to better himself daily and under our coaching staff, he could do just that. I hope we get a commitment out of him because I think he would be a great project that could yield some great results but it wouldn't be until his Junior year.

Again, these are my views and opinions and in no way shape or form am I an expert so feel free to critique me as you see fit.

KantoSooner
12/17/2012, 10:38 AM
Don't apologize, such posts are why I come here. I never fail to learn something. Thanks.

Seamus
12/17/2012, 12:42 PM
Don't apologize, such posts are why I come here. I never fail to learn something. Thanks.

This^^^.

Ruf, you offered a really nice assessment. +1

Ruf/Nek7
12/17/2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks guys.

OkieThunderLion
12/17/2012, 04:24 PM
I believe he was so under-the-radar (2-star) because he missed most of his SO and JR seasons with injury.

8timechamps
12/17/2012, 05:56 PM
I believe he was so under-the-radar (2-star) because he missed most of his SO and JR seasons with injury.

That's what I'm hearing too. Supposedly, had he played a full 4 years, he would have been a top 20 DT (nationally). The kid is ready to commit. The staff must feel really positive about a couple of the higher rated recruits, otherwise I can't understand why Walker doesn't have an offer.

Ruf/Nek7
12/18/2012, 10:14 AM
What surprises me is that he has an offer from texass and is not high on them at all. I figured that they offered well before OU and he is in Dallas so to me, this could be a steal. He may work out like Chuka. My first thoughts on him where WTF....and now i see why we went after him. Walker's film is more impressive than Chuka's.

8timechamps
12/18/2012, 05:44 PM
OU has offered Walker, so we'll see where this goes...

Ruf/Nek7
12/19/2012, 09:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q8PZNT0Rs4

Here is a full length film of a South Garland game which features Charles Walker #75. He plays a nose tackle in a 3-4 scheme which could actually help us so that that Mike can get out of his awful Dime scheme and run a more potent defense against the spread.

After watching the full length game film, I noticed that Walker seems to be one of the few bright spots on a rather mediocre team. Richardson Berkner is not a very good team either so he may be facing weaker linemen but nonetheless, I like what I see from him. Nothing really changes from my previous assessment. I will say that after watching more film, he has a great ability to fight off of blocks. I think he will earn an additional star before this recruiting period ends.