PDA

View Full Version : "The Many Ways in Which College Football and Wall Street are Exactly the Same"

kevpks
12/17/2012, 02:12 AM
Since we're in a break before the decent bowls kick off, a little light reading:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/bml/why-college-football-and-wall-street-are-exactly-t

8timechamps
12/17/2012, 02:20 PM
Good stuff.

College football has turned into a money making enterprise, and now that a select few know they can cash in, it will continue to spit out the occasional cover-up/scandal. I'm not sure I like that it has become this way, but there is no putting the toothpaste back in the tube.

badger
12/17/2012, 02:33 PM
At least when college football rules are broken, people don't end up in jail and pensions/trusts/retirements don't end up losing everything.

8timechamps
12/17/2012, 02:47 PM
At least when college football rules are broken, people don't end up in jail and pensions/trusts/retirements don't end up losing everything.

Not true. See Penn State.

But, unless something changes and the NCAA becomes part of the country's economic system, then you're right about the last part.

badger
12/17/2012, 02:52 PM
Not true. See Penn State.

But, unless something changes and the NCAA becomes part of the country's economic system, then you're right about the last part.

I don't think it's against college football rules to rape boys and then not telling the police. If it prevents it from ever happening again, however, I'm all for making it a personal foul 15-yard penalty... or better yet, an unprecedented oversized yellow flag that is loaded with a metal shot put and is cast directly at the head of the guilty party. :mad:

KantoSooner
12/17/2012, 06:01 PM
Well done, Badger!
This dovetails nicely with my concept of 25 man team full contact sword fighting to utilize football stadiums during the off season.
I reckon we could sell some tickets to watch that.

Think of it! 50 guys charge out on to the field, bow then get right down to it.

If it was good enough for the Romans, by golly, it's good enough for us!

Teevee rights alone would be worth billions. And the international teams! Think of it. The Germans. The Russians. The Japanese. The Mongols. The French (you'd need comic relief and watching Cossacks ride down a bunch of powder wig nancies armed with cocktail olive skewers would provide the necessary between the heavyweight bouts of say, Germany v. Mongolia and Scotland v. Norway)

8timechamps
12/17/2012, 06:02 PM
I don't think it's against college football rules to rape boys and then not telling the police. If it prevents it from ever happening again, however, I'm all for making it a personal foul 15-yard penalty... or better yet, an unprecedented oversized yellow flag that is loaded with a metal shot put and is cast directly at the head of the guilty party. :mad:

Of course I wasn't referring to the rules of the game...but you knew that.

badger
12/18/2012, 09:50 AM
Of course I wasn't referring to the rules of the game...but you knew that.

but of course :)

This dovetails nicely with my concept of 25 man team full contact sword fighting to utilize football stadiums during the off season.
I reckon we could sell some tickets to watch that.

we do need to find additional purposes for football stadiums. those are crazy huge and crazy expensive facilities to spend most of the year not in use. think the USFL could get fired up again?