PDA

View Full Version : Bielema picks Partridge to lead defensive line

Mazeppa
12/15/2012, 09:51 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/14wzknc.jpg

8timechamps
12/15/2012, 11:36 PM
I think the only way Bielema can **** off Wisconsin any more would be to poach some recruits...I'm sure that's next on his to-do list.

DenverSooner751
12/16/2012, 09:54 AM
I think the only way Bielema can **** off Wisconsin any more would be to poach some recruits...I'm sure that's next on his to-do list.

Nah, they're not sec fast

yermom
12/16/2012, 10:05 AM
i must have missed the Bielema hire. was Wisconsin paying him nothing, or what? does he think he peaked with the Badgers?

King Crimson
12/16/2012, 10:41 AM
1,2, 3, 4, 5...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9gq-ANfjc0

picasso
12/16/2012, 12:45 PM
Arky plays football?

badger
12/16/2012, 12:56 PM
He got it from his wife on the first day of christmas. The pear tree is going to be a grad assistant.

mainline13
12/16/2012, 02:18 PM
Arky plays football?

Not exactly ....

bluedogok
12/16/2012, 02:49 PM
i must have missed the Bielema hire. was Wisconsin paying him nothing, or what? does he think he peaked with the Badgers?
I think it may have been an AD/Coach issue, Alvarez may have been trying to tell him how to coach. Kind of seems common when old football coaches become the AD, the fact that Alvarez has decided to coach the bowl game kind of signals to me that he was not really ready to hang it up when he did, kind of like Snyder when he was forced out.

8timechamps
12/16/2012, 04:19 PM

I think there were several things going on behind the scene that had soured the relationship between Bielema and Alvarez. I also think Bielema knew he was struggling this year, and has nothing of note coming back next year. It may be a case of jumping ship before it starts to sink.

badger
12/16/2012, 07:05 PM
Big ten sports program are largely stuck in the past... Much like the states they call home, sadly.

When kelvin talked to Indiana about building a new arena, iu was all like "this is where bobby knight and mike Davis won!"

I suspect that an sec program like arkansas has no problem paying assistant coaches the same as mid major head coaches. I suspect Wisconsin does.

Soonerfan88
12/17/2012, 10:15 PM
That makes me wonder what they are doing with all the TV money they are always bragging about. Why aren't they putting back into their programs and facilities?

8timechamps
12/17/2012, 10:29 PM
That makes me wonder what they are doing with all the TV money they are always bragging about. Why aren't they putting back into their programs and facilities?

According to USA Today, the 2011 University of Wisconsin football budget looked like this

Total Revenue: $96,288,911
Total Expense: $95,623,345
Surplus: $ 665,566

According to that figure, over $18 million was spent on "Buildings/Grounds".

Compare that to Arkansas:

Total Revenue: $91,768,112
Total Expense: $79,392,988
Surplus: $ 12,375,114

Looks like Arkansas has a lot more money to work with.

If you're interested, here's a link to the database: LINK (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-05-14/ncaa-college-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1)

badger
12/18/2012, 09:49 AM
for the record, I wasn't just pulling info outta my arse, I actually did hear that somewhere. (http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/67356/assistant-pay-a-key-factor-for-bielema)

Much like Indiana told Kelvin "We won before with what we have and we expect you to do the same... with what we have and nothing more," I suspect that Barry Alvarez, as the previous Wisconsin coach that led his team to multiple Rose Bowls too, said to Bret when asking for assistant pay raises, "I won with assistants making XXX and I expect you to do the same."

Wisconsin does need building/upgrades and they fortunately had had some generosity to fund the endeavors among donors. I went to a football game up there in 2000 (the Ron Dayne/Rose Bowl year, yes) and they still didn't even have a replay screen... or a big screen ANYwhere for you to view plays when you couldn't see the field. Not only am I a short badger, but I am also a tiny badger. I was surrounded by 300 lb beer/brat men on a bleacher and had taller people in front. I was in the upper deck corner, so when they made it down to about the 10 yard line near the sidelines, you try to stand up so you can continue seeing the action... you can't.

So, what does little badger do? She finds her seat number when everyone else stands up in futility to not see the action, and she plants herself back in her spot. And because middle aged men don't dare pick on little teen girls (I was 17 at the time), I was able to at least reclaim my seat.

I am sure they have jumbotron(s) by now, but this was just in 2000, only about 12 years ago. When I came down to OU in 2001, we not only had a jumbotron in the south endzone, we had a higher stadium capacity, too... and you can see the corners of the field from our upper decks!

yermom
12/18/2012, 09:56 AM
According to USA Today, the 2011 University of Wisconsin football budget looked like this

Total Revenue: $96,288,911
Total Expense: $95,623,345
Surplus: $ 665,566

According to that figure, over $18 million was spent on "Buildings/Grounds".

Compare that to Arkansas:

Total Revenue: $91,768,112
Total Expense: $79,392,988
Surplus: $ 12,375,114

Looks like Arkansas has a lot more money to work with.

If you're interested, here's a link to the database: LINK (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-05-14/ncaa-college-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1)

isn't Walmart to Arkansas what Nike is to Oregon? i remember that HUGE HD screen they had when Texass played there before any of the Big 12 schools had one.

for the record, I wasn't just pulling info outta my arse, I actually did hear that somewhere. (http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/67356/assistant-pay-a-key-factor-for-bielema)

Much like Indiana told Kelvin "We won before with what we have and we expect you to do the same... with what we have and nothing more," I suspect that Barry Alvarez, as the previous Wisconsin coach that led his team to multiple Rose Bowls too, said to Bret when asking for assistant pay raises, "I won with assistants making XXX and I expect you to do the same."

Wisconsin does need building/upgrades and they fortunately had had some generosity to fund the endeavors among donors. I went to a football game up there in 2000 (the Ron Dayne/Rose Bowl year, yes) and they still didn't even have a replay screen... or a big screen ANYwhere for you to view plays when you couldn't see the field. Not only am I a short badger, but I am also a tiny badger. I was surrounded by 300 lb beer/brat men on a bleacher and had taller people in front. I was in the upper deck corner, so when they made it down to about the 10 yard line near the sidelines, you try to stand up so you can continue seeing the action... you can't.

So, what does little badger do? She finds her seat number when everyone else stands up in futility to not see the action, and she plants herself back in her spot. And because middle aged men don't dare pick on little teen girls (I was 17 at the time), I was able to at least reclaim my seat.

I am sure they have jumbotron(s) by now, but this was just in 2000, only about 12 years ago. When I came down to OU in 2001, we not only had a jumbotron in the south endzone, we had a higher stadium capacity, too... and you can see the corners of the field from our upper decks!

'99?

badger
12/18/2012, 10:27 AM
It was Nov. 4, 2000, so it was actually Michael Bennett (who had the better pro career and despite no Heisman, was also a first round draft pick), not Ron Dayne. Wisconsin played its big rival, Minnesota. I remember a pack of gophers up near us that chanted ***-hole at a fan that tried to report them to stadium security, but got kicked out himself (they chanted it at him as security led him away, heh).

I looked it up - Wisconsin didn't have new scoreboards installed till the 2004 season. Cheapskates :P

yermom
12/18/2012, 10:35 AM
the Rose Bowl was throwing me off too, Drew Brees took Purdue that year :D

badger
12/18/2012, 10:52 AM
the Rose Bowl was throwing me off too, Drew Brees took Purdue that year :D

it all blends together. wisconsin went to the 1999 and 2000 rose bowls, which technically were for the seasons before.

so, go ahead and call me among the worst fans (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=5895631). i'm more of a sooner fan anyways :D

Scott D
12/18/2012, 12:50 PM
true badger fans can't tell you any university sport significant moments outside of the hockey team ;)

badger
12/18/2012, 01:17 PM
true badger fans can't tell you any university sport significant moments outside of the hockey team ;)

pretty much, but since dick bennett once coached at my high school long ago and i got to hear him speak back then, I do remember the year they willed their untalented squad to the Final Four.

but wisconsin does love football. it is the home state to the packers, after all. of course, wisconsin football is traditionally bad, much like the packers were bad for a very long stretch between the early super bowls till the favre/reggie era, and now the rodgers-discount-doublecheck era.

yermom
12/18/2012, 01:20 PM
it all blends together. wisconsin went to the 1999 and 2000 rose bowls, which technically were for the seasons before.

so, go ahead and call me among the worst fans (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=5895631). i'm more of a sooner fan anyways :D

i remember Drew Brees and Purdue from that year because ABC cut away from the OU/TX game to the Purdue/Michigan game because ours was such a blowout

8timechamps
12/18/2012, 05:37 PM
isn't Walmart to Arkansas what Nike is to Oregon? i remember that HUGE HD screen they had when Texass played there before any of the Big 12 schools had one.

At one point I know the Walton family made some sizable donations, so there is some Wal-Mart money in there. Nothing compared to what Nike has done for Oregon. In 2011, Oregon received $73 million in donations, compared to Arkansas which received $19 million.

Oregon should just change their name to Nike University.

badger
12/18/2012, 05:51 PM
At one point I know the Walton family made some sizable donations, so there is some Wal-Mart money in there. Nothing compared to what Nike has done for Oregon. In 2011, Oregon received $73 million in donations, compared to Arkansas which received $19 million.

Oregon should just change their name to Nike University.
i THINK some walmart heirs love mizzou, but i don't think the main waltons (the billionaires on the top of the forbes list) do much for arky athletics. good riddance to them for leaving oklahoma

i remember Drew Brees and Purdue from that year because ABC cut away from the OU/TX game to the Purdue/Michigan game because ours was such a blowout
i wish purdue would be good again if for no other reason than you all could hear that cheesy train whistle that they blow after big plays... the most lol part is the short train whistly spurts for defense cheer: Whur! Whur! (de-fense!) Whur! Whur! (de-fense!)

mainline13
12/18/2012, 07:48 PM

You ever hear of something called co-caine?

8timechamps
12/18/2012, 09:16 PM
i THINK some walmart heirs love mizzou, but i don't think the main waltons (the billionaires on the top of the forbes list) do much for arky athletics. good riddance to them for leaving oklahoma

I remember they donated a couple of hundred million back about 8 or 9 years ago (to Arkansas), but I never heard about any other big-time donation. At least no other T. Boone type donation.

Soonerfan88
12/19/2012, 08:46 PM

Heh, yes one of the Walton daughters & her husband donated $25M for the new basketball arena and had it named after their daughter - the Paige Laurie Arena (Laurie is last name). HOWEVER.....Paige was accused of cheating at USC. Her roommate said she did most of her work so Paige had to give back her diploma. Mizz was embarrassed and pulled her name off the building so now it's just called Mizzou Arena. :highly_amused: