PDA

View Full Version : Heres yer Perp, Now tell me this punk wasnt a Vid playin dweeb.

olevetonahill
12/14/2012, 08:13 PM
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/nRYzB_Acfrqt0wwsY5DsfQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MzYwO2NyPTE7Y3c9NjQwO2R4PTA7ZH k9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD0zNTU7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/gma/us.abcnews.gma.com/ht_Adam_lanza_sandy_hook_bug_121214_wmain.jpg

SicEmBaylor
12/14/2012, 08:16 PM
You're talking out of your *** Vet. A LOT of people play video games. I haven't heard anything about him playing video games. It probably seems significant to someone of your generation, but there is barely a person alive from my generation that doesn't play violent video games and 99.999999999% of them don't commit mass murder.

Blaming video games is as stupid and asinine as blaming it on the guns themselves. The kid was autistic and had behavioral issues. WTF is wrong wit h you?

olevetonahill
12/14/2012, 08:23 PM
You're talking out of your *** Vet. A LOT of people play video games. I haven't heard anything about him playing video games. It probably seems significant to someone of your generation, but there is barely a person alive from my generation that doesn't play violent video games and 99.999999999% of them don't commit mass murder.

Blaming video games is as stupid and asinine as blaming it on the guns themselves. The kid was autistic and had behavioral issues. WTF is wrong wit h you?

You best back that train up Mary ****in Poppins

Ive stated repeatdly that Games where a factor I never said they were the whole cause ya little dip****.

You take a Kid with behavior Problems and stick a violent game in his hands with out any Parental supervision and or control in his life hes gonna think thats the way to act in real life
WTF is wrong with you? Oh wait Ya dont have to answer that every one knows already

Turd_Ferguson
12/14/2012, 08:40 PM
I'm with ya OV...Lot's of peeps don't parent anymore, they just coddle or let the TV/Games babysit...

Turd_Ferguson
12/14/2012, 08:41 PM

Your problem is your young, dumb and full of stupid...

SicEmBaylor
12/14/2012, 08:43 PM

Ive stated repeatdly that Games where a factor I never said they were the whole cause ya little dip****.

You take a Kid with behavior Problems and stick a violent game in his hands with out any Parental supervision and or control in his life hes gonna think thats the way to act in real life
WTF is wrong with you? Oh wait Ya dont have to answer that every one knows already
Where did you even get that they were a factor? I haven't heard much information about what the guy was like beyond the fact he was autistic and had behavioral issues much less what he did in his spare time like play video games.

olevetonahill
12/14/2012, 08:56 PM
Where did you even get that they were a factor? I haven't heard much information about what the guy was like beyond the fact he was autistic and had behavioral issues much less what he did in his spare time like play video games.

Thats what happens when Ya jump in with out knowing whats been said before. ' Read my posts and the posts of others in the other threads and you will see where Im coming from.
Next time you blindly jump in ya may end up alligator bit

SouthCarolinaSooner
12/14/2012, 11:00 PM
Most people who play violent video games don't go on shooting rampages, just like most people who own guns don't use them on kindergartners. Its not that hard to figure out

SicEmBaylor
12/14/2012, 11:06 PM
Most people who play violent video games don't go on shooting rampages, just like most people who own guns don't use them on kindergartners. Its not that hard to figure out

This. As a corollary, there are people who don't play video games that commit mass murder and there are those that commit mass murder that don't use a gun.

This is what happens when you start looking for reasons to justify the actions of the criminally insane and people who have severe mental health issues.

Oh, they must have played too much COD!
Oh, if they hadn't had access to a gun they'd be an upstanding citizen!
Oh, if their mother had just hugged them more they wouldn't be violent!
Oh, if they hadn't been bullied they would never have hurt their classmates!

I wish people would stop trying to shift the blame and responsibility for these actions away from the individual who perpetuated the act and onto something else.

yermom
12/14/2012, 11:06 PM
He probably listened to heavy metal music too

olevetonahill
12/14/2012, 11:09 PM

Go back to eatin yer cereal boy yer in over yer head again.

SouthCarolinaSooner
12/14/2012, 11:15 PM
Go back to eatin yer cereal boy yer in over yer head again.
No, you're just really ****ing stupid

olevetonahill
12/14/2012, 11:18 PM
No, you're just really ****ing stupid

Then Educate me there youngun Im guessing you've read this thread and understand everything about it so Please go ahead and educate me

Turd_Ferguson
12/14/2012, 11:27 PM
Then Educate me there youngun Im guessing you've read this thread and understand everything about it so Please go ahead and educate me

His dumb *** couldn't teach a mexican to mow...

olevetonahill
12/14/2012, 11:56 PM
His dumb *** couldn't teach a mexican to mow...

Guess he had to go back fer another bowl of stupid :drunk:

cleller
12/15/2012, 09:09 AM

I read that he may have had Asperger's Syndrome, which I just heard about a few years ago. It not like what you'd imagine from a typical autistic person. Probably a lot of people out there that could be diagnosed with this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

In the article, it mentions one of the traits is a lack of empathy, or understanding of other's feelings. I heard about it from my daughter, who's run across all this in college. We were joking about one of my brothers, and his ability to completely disregard things on demand. Trying to insult or guilt him would be like trying that on The Terminator.

Midtowner
12/15/2012, 09:39 AM

Should we do anything about this perceived problem?

olevetonahill
12/15/2012, 10:18 AM

Yea instead of More Gun laws how about ya got get a ****in Permit to have kids.

Turd_Ferguson
12/15/2012, 10:32 AM
Wurd.

Midtowner
12/15/2012, 10:35 AM

Not that I don't agree in principle, but which do you think would be more of an imposition on freedom? The government telling you what guns you can have and when or the government involving itself in your reproductive choices?

Turd_Ferguson
12/15/2012, 10:46 AM
Not that I don't agree in principle, but which do you think would be more of an imposition on freedom? The government telling you what guns you can have and when or the government involving itself in your reproductive choices?

The answer to this question should be evident to you but, alas...

C&CDean
12/15/2012, 10:58 AM
What I think Olevet is trying to say is this:

Playing violent, bloody, gory, realistic video games just might alter some kids' understanding/grasp of reality. Playing them for hours and hours and hours might just numb someone to the reality of pulling the trigger on a real gun. It might also seem like a legitimate "way out" to someone who is already suffering from emotional/mental issues.

If you ain't on board with that then you're either stupid or suffering from emotional/mental issues.

Midtowner
12/15/2012, 11:28 AM

Playing violent, bloody, gory, realistic video games just might alter some kids' understanding/grasp of reality. Playing them for hours and hours and hours might just numb someone to the reality of pulling the trigger on a real gun. It might also seem like a legitimate "way out" to someone who is already suffering from emotional/mental issues.

If you ain't on board with that then you're either stupid or suffering from emotional/mental issues.

I dunno. I didn't grow up with these sorts of video games. Everything was 8-bit. That said, we played army, pretended to shoot each other, wore little army uniforms, had toy guns, pellet guns, shot squirrels, watched violent movies and mostly turned out fine. I'm not all that sure the COD franchise is any different. Part of America's culture is a warrior tradition--that we glorify our military tradition and groom our young males for warfare. In fact, the COD franchise as it is largely involves the cooperation of our armed forces and has been an excellent recruiting tool.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/arts/video-games/battlefield-3-and-call-of-duty.html?_r=0

C&CDean
12/15/2012, 11:45 AM
I dunno. I didn't grow up with these sorts of video games. Everything was 8-bit. That said, we played army, pretended to shoot each other, wore little army uniforms, had toy guns, pellet guns, shot squirrels, watched violent movies and mostly turned out fine. I'm not all that sure the COD franchise is any different. Part of America's culture is a warrior tradition--that we glorify our military tradition and groom our young males for warfare. In fact, the COD franchise as it is largely involves the cooperation of our armed forces and has been an excellent recruiting tool.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/arts/video-games/battlefield-3-and-call-of-duty.html?_r=0

Dude, c'mon. Seriously?

OK, let's put it in an apples to apples comparison if you're gonna be so obtuse:

Did you play Army/Cowboys and Injuns/etc. about 12+ hours per day? Did you obsess over playing Army? Did you wear your little Army outfit 24/7? Did your expertise in playing Army define you in your mind? Did you watch reruns of violent movies ad nauseum? Did you actually shoot someone in the face and watch their brains splatter all over the wall? Did you blow up zombies and aliens and bad guys and watch their body parts and guts fly all over the place? Thousands and thousands of times over?

Sure you didn't. Me either. And I was probably one of the world's worst little hellions with guns/bows and arrows/etc. I didn't live it 24/7. I didn't become a character in a video game. I didn't define myself by what I played as a kid. Unfortunately, today many kids do define themselves by their video game expertise. They can't bench press 60 pounds but they can damn sure kill em' some nazis/cops/bad guys/good guys.

Shirley you see the difference?

Midtowner
12/15/2012, 11:52 AM
It's kind of an academic conversation anyhow. The SCOTUS has already ruled that violent video games = free speech.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/06/27/supreme-court-strikes-down-video-game-violence-law-on-free-speech-grounds/

As per usual, the question is parenting. Parents need to make better decisions regarding their children. In this particular case, the child had some mental issues to begin with. Most children can certainly tell the difference between video games and real life, i.e., that shooting a person is going to carry different consequences if you do it outside of a video game. Lots of parents have raised serial killers. Blaming video games in this case is a rush to conclusions without evidence.

C&CDean
12/15/2012, 11:59 AM
And I don't think anyone is "blaming video games." They're stating they are but one of several factors contributing to the downfall of our society. And I agree.

FirstandGoal
12/15/2012, 12:00 PM

This times infinity.

FirstandGoal
12/15/2012, 12:04 PM
It's kind of an academic conversation anyhow. The SCOTUS has already ruled that violent video games = free speech.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/06/27/supreme-court-strikes-down-video-game-violence-law-on-free-speech-grounds/

As per usual, the question is parenting. Parents need to make better decisions regarding their children. In this particular case, the child had some mental issues to begin with. Most children can certainly tell the difference between video games and real life, i.e., that shooting a person is going to carry different consequences if you do it outside of a video game. Lots of parents have raised serial killers. Blaming video games in this case is a rush to conclusions without evidence.

So we can agree that "bad" parenting would be allowing children below the age of 17 access to these "mature" violent, gory video games. Hell, I don't care if Sic'Em plays them all day long every day. He's a ****ing grown up and knows better than to go popping a group of 5 year olds.
What worries me are the 5-10 year olds whose parents don't GAS enough to care whether or not their mentally disturbed children role play this **** all day long.

I'm sorry, but violent video games= free speech, yet you can't pray in school? Disaster in the making.

bluedogok
12/15/2012, 12:12 PM
Insane asylums existed for a reason, some people just shouldn't be in the general population. Psychiatrists and big pharma thinking they can medicate the mentally ill to sanity has made the problem worse, that and a significantly greater population. Parents, family and friends ignoring someones mental illness because they don't want to believe they could have such issues just compounds the situation.

Midtowner
12/15/2012, 12:16 PM
So we can agree that "bad" parenting would be allowing children below the age of 17 access to these "mature" violent, gory video games.

No, I think you're overstating your case without evidence. Look at the history of school shootings in the U.S.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shootings_in_the_United_States

Trends are actually down and coincide with the increasing popularity of violent video games. It peaked between 1992 and 1994. Your thesis doesn't withstand the evidence.

Hell, I don't care if Sic'Em plays them all day long every day. He's a ****ing grown up and knows better than to go popping a group of 5 year olds.
What worries me are the 5-10 year olds whose parents don't GAS enough to care whether or not their mentally disturbed children role play this **** all day long.

Then how do you explain the early 90s, before we even had .007 for Nintendo 64 (the first really popular 3D shooter I can remember aside from very unrealistic games like Wolfenstien 3D) as having more school shootings by a long shot (pun not intended) compared to today?

I'm sorry, but violent video games= free speech, yet you can't pray in school? Disaster in the making.

LOL. Yes, say some prayers and we'll stop those shootings cold--almost like praying away the gay. That's the ticket... except that Christian schools have had shootings as well.

C&CDean
12/15/2012, 12:24 PM
No, I think you're overstating your case without evidence. Look at the history of school shootings in the U.S.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shootings_in_the_United_States

Trends are actually down and coincide with the increasing popularity of violent video games. It peaked between 1992 and 1994. Your thesis doesn't withstand the evidence.

Then how do you explain the early 90s, before we even had .007 for Nintendo 64 (the first really popular 3D shooter I can remember aside from very unrealistic games like Wolfenstien 3D) as having more school shootings by a long shot (pun not intended) compared to today?

LOL. Yes, say some prayers and we'll stop those shootings cold--almost like praying away the gay. That's the ticket... except that Christian schools have had shootings as well.

I'm really not sure why anyone even bothers with you. Your views/opinions/way of expressing them are pretty much warped and myopic. Oh yeah, I forgot nauseatingly predictable. You are a classic liberal shill. Nothing more, nothing less. Never, ever insult the likes of cruiser or RLIMC. You are they in mirror image.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/15/2012, 12:25 PM
Here ya go vet:

Adam Lanza belonged to a technology club at Newtown High School that held "LAN parties" — short for local area network — in which students would gather at a member's home, hook up their computers into a small network and play games.

Midtowner
12/15/2012, 12:27 PM
I'm really not sure why anyone even bothers with you. Your views/opinions/way of expressing them are pretty much warped and myopic. Oh yeah, I forgot nauseatingly predictable. You are a classic liberal shill. Nothing more, nothing less. Never, ever insult the likes of cruiser or RLIMC. You are they in mirror image.

Okay, so you're not going to respond to any of the facts I just gave you or this:

http://thepublicintellectual.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Homicides-1900-2010-2-300x236.jpg

Are you upset because I'm pointing out that objective reality doesn't really match with your opinion?

bluedogok
12/15/2012, 12:29 PM
Here ya go vet:

Adam Lanza belonged to a technology club at Newtown High School that held "LAN parties" — short for local area network — in which students would gather at a member's home, hook up their computers into a small network and play games.
Time to ban those then....and video games, computers, LAN's along with the guns but lets ignore the fact that he had mental issues and that according to Connecticut law since he was under 21 he was not supposed to possess or transport a firearm since everyone follows the letter of the law.

Midtowner
12/15/2012, 12:33 PM
It's actually a better inference that to suggest that the catharsis provided by violent video games in satiating the violent impulses of young people probably prevents more violent deaths than anything else.

C&CDean
12/15/2012, 12:38 PM
It's actually a better inference that to suggest that the catharsis provided by violent video games in satiating the violent impulses of young people probably prevents more violent deaths than anything else.

I rest my case.

SouthCarolinaSooner
12/15/2012, 12:38 PM
And I don't think anyone is "blaming video games." They're stating they are but one of several factors contributing to the downfall of our society. And I agree.
Bla bla downfall of society bla bla, violent crime has been decreasing since these violent video games have been introduced, but I know facts and logic aren't your friend so continue on.

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/ldah6rdp6ukvngoyqi1fcg.gif

C&CDean
12/15/2012, 12:41 PM
Bla bla downfall of society bla bla, violent crime has been decreasing since these violent video games have been introduced, but I know facts and logic aren't your friend so continue on.

Oh. Since violent crime is on the decline why are all you dildos pining for my guns? And 20-something dead in one shooting isn't a decline in violent crime in my book. You are a little lemming and that's OK. WTF do you know about life? You can't be blamed for your ignorance.

FirstandGoal
12/15/2012, 12:44 PM

LOL, took the words right out of my mouth.

Mid, you can show me charts and graphs all day long. At the end of the day, I could GAS less what "proof" you want to show to make yourself able to stomach the mindless drivel you seem to believe. At first I thought you must have been someone's troll just messing around, but the scary part is that you actually believe all the crap you're spouting.

By all means, let's keep pushing for drugs, violence, and general anarchy. I'm sure eventually porn distributed in schools will be deemed free speech yet you'll show us some stat to show that its all for the best. Yet God will still not be allowed.
Whatever.

SouthCarolinaSooner
12/15/2012, 12:46 PM
Oh. Since violent crime is on the decline why are all you dildos pining for my guns? And 20-something dead in one shooting isn't a decline in violent crime in my book. You are a little lemming and that's OK. WTF do you know about life? You can't be blamed for your ignorance.
When did I pine for your guns? Unless you have a history of mental illness, are a felon, or fall into some other aggravating category now slipping my mind, I think you should be able to have plenty, we just need to regulate them a bit better that's all. Maybe like the Swiss, if you wanna own military grade weaponry like that Bushmaster this psychopath had, you gotta undergo some military training first. How would that sit with you?

Midtowner
12/15/2012, 12:47 PM

Not pining at all, but would we be a better society if we really tightened up on who (i.e., not the mentally ill) could possess firearms? Required the registration of all firearms to ensure they're not falling into the wrong hands? Require gun owners to take reasonable steps (gun safes) to keep their weapons secure by imposing liability when they do not?

In a country where the population is so spread out, where you might have a couple of deputies as the only law enforcement in your entire county at 2AM when someone is trying to kick down your back door, guns are a necessary thing.

Getting a handle on bad people having guns or being able to find them cheaply on the black market is something we could do if we wanted.

Midtowner
12/15/2012, 12:50 PM
Mid, you can show me charts and graphs all day long. At the end of the day, I could GAS less what "proof" you want to show to make yourself able to stomach the mindless drivel you seem to believe.

So instead of whining about how you don't like that objective reality doesn't point to your thesis being true, why not explain why those facts don't matter?

By all means, let's keep pushing for drugs, violence, and general anarchy. I'm sure eventually porn distributed in schools will be deemed free speech yet you'll show us some stat to show that its all for the best. Yet God will still not be allowed.
Whatever.

Prayer is allowed in schools. Public schools just can't force you to pray. You don't know what you're talking about.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/15/2012, 01:10 PM
You have all the answers, lets hear one from you...

C&CDean
12/15/2012, 01:12 PM
Getting a handle on bad people having guns or being able to find them cheaply on the black market is something we could do if we wanted.

How? Violate their precious constitutional rights? Ain't happening.

These shootings won't stop, and our only hope is that the next time somebody decides to do something like this somebody else is ready for them and sends their sorry *** off to their maker before they have a chance to hurt innocents. Of course if this happens people like you will want the good guy thrown in jail unless he waits for the other guy to kill a few. Then, if the guy gets a little excited and over zealous and gives the guy a couple extra rounds for good measure you'd be all over it. "First-degree murder!! He didn't have to kill him so hard." Meh.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/15/2012, 01:38 PM
You guys got it all wrong.

From what I heard, the firearms were registered to the mother who possessed them legally. The boner over the Bushmaster is plain and simply stupid. What's the difference between these two weapons?

http://images.rockwellarms.com/ProductImages/Bushmaster/Rifles/BCWA3F16M4-alt1.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qEM0N1cmJKM/Tzx14tfnDVI/AAAAAAAABl8/pYDpeDuMI5c/s1600/mini%2B14.jpg

Caliber-wise, absolutely nothing. One is on a handsome, oil rubbed wood stock (the Mini-14) and is a common firearm for anything from rabbit to deer. One is on scaaaary mil-spec synthetic hardware with OH NOES a pistol grip. BOTH are semi-automatic, both will accept bolt on accessories, both will do what YOU want it to do as a shooter, be it de-braining prairie dogs, defending the home, filling the freezer, or sadly, unleashing death to one's fellow man. Which boils it down to one pure point.

It's the person wielding the tool. Not the tool. There is NOTHING about either weapon short of magazine size (already regulated) and modification to full auto (already regulated) that makes EITHER weapon an "assault rifle" or your favorite plinker/hunting rifle/preference for home defense. To say otherwise simply exposes your ignorance by showing your judgment is based on which one "looks more dangerous".

It's sad. Sad that a young person could have such mental disturbance, for WHATEVER reason, that he's able to justify grabbing his family's weapons and using them to unleash hell on a school, a town, and a nation. It's not the gun's fault, never was, never has been.

Here's the only preventative measure that makes sense to me.

http://www.wonderful-words-for-a-weary-world.org/TEENS-file/images/policeman.jpg

Plus...

http://derryasd.schoolwires.com/72549462484157/lib/72549462484157/School.JPG

C&CDean
12/15/2012, 01:58 PM
Uh...ones brown and the other black?

Good post.

yermom
12/15/2012, 02:00 PM
TSA likes to feel up little kids, maybe they can run security for schools too

SouthCarolinaSooner
12/15/2012, 02:04 PM

Good post.
Dean I posted this earlier, how would you feel about limiting some types of gun ownership (say...anything semi-automatic) to people who have had some type of marksman (or even perhaps military?) and safety training and proven themselves proficient? Obviously this doesn't have much to do with the current case, but hell just like with driving cars, its a big responsibility that should require some sort of training and licensing, don't ya think?

diverdog
12/15/2012, 02:18 PM

Good post.

You are soooo wrong. The bottom one looks like it has a mount for a bayonet. I like bayonets. Rifle plus Bayonet=crime prevention. :)

Tulsa_Fireman
12/15/2012, 02:19 PM
That's hot.

Seriously speaking, they ran a story on Fox 23 here in Tulsa last night where they spoke to the Tulsa Public Schools police chief. For larger school systems there's already the mechanism in place with campus police divisions. What's stopping the Great State of Oklahoma from moving forward NOT in some expensive lockdown, Riyadh Airport style security program, but instead simply making it the force of law that each school system staff each school with a uniform officer? Not some clown rent-a-cop, a uniform officer from the jurisdiction responsible for the school, on site, in the building. He trains with the department, he's familiar with department policy, he's part of the AHJ's chain of command, and is on scene able to interdict at the first sign of trouble AND start the full power of the AHJ with the press of a button on his radio.

It's simply an intermingling of two municipal entities that ALREADY have working relationships. And all it costs is one officer per school. If communities can't afford that, then what the hell are they spending their money on?

C&CDean
12/15/2012, 02:20 PM
Dean I posted this earlier, how would you feel about limiting some types of gun ownership (say...anything semi-automatic) to people who have had some type of marksman (or even perhaps military?) and safety training and proven themselves proficient? Obviously this doesn't have much to do with the current case, but hell just like with driving cars, its a big responsibility that should require some sort of training and licensing, don't ya think?

Nah. Everything is semi-auto these days. If it ain't a wheel gun or a shotgun it's probably semi auto. Really, the only difference is cocking between shots. So dude only kills 15 instead of 20? Nah.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/15/2012, 02:26 PM

What does proficiency have to do with possessing a firearm? Fourteen words say it doesn't.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Do we have you take a test for proficiency before you state your opinion in the public square? Do we have you take a test for proficiency before attending the church of your choice? Do we have you take a test for proficiency before you read the paper, prevent troops from quartering in your home, or enjoy due process? A test to see if you're qualified to assemble peaceably or to petition the government for redress of grievances?

To me that's the equivalent of making a black man take a literacy test before being able to vote.

cleller
12/15/2012, 02:51 PM
Okay, so you're not going to respond to any of the facts I just gave you or this:

http://thepublicintellectual.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Homicides-1900-2010-2-300x236.jpg

Are you upset because I'm pointing out that objective reality doesn't really match with your opinion?

Lyndon Johnson/Earl Warren Killed America!

Tulsa_Fireman
12/15/2012, 02:54 PM
Lyndon Johnson/Earl Warren Killed America!

AND John Kennedy!

CONSPIRACY

SouthCarolinaSooner
12/15/2012, 03:40 PM
What does proficiency have to do with possessing a firearm? Fourteen words say it doesn't.

Do we have you take a test for proficiency before you state your opinion in the public square? Do we have you take a test for proficiency before attending the church of your choice? Do we have you take a test for proficiency before you read the paper, prevent troops from quartering in your home, or enjoy due process? A test to see if you're qualified to assemble peaceably or to petition the government for redress of grievances?

To me that's the equivalent of making a black man take a literacy test before being able to vote.
Did you miss the "well regulated militia" part?

olevetonahill
12/15/2012, 04:31 PM
When did I pine for your guns? Unless you have a history of mental illness, are a felon, or fall into some other aggravating category now slipping my mind, I think you should be able to have plenty, we just need to regulate them a bit better that's all. Maybe like the Swiss, if you wanna own military grade weaponry like that Bushmaster this psychopath had, you gotta undergo some military training first. How would that sit with you?

Boy i think you still got some stupid in yer bowl

That dweeb didnt OWN that Bushmaster, He STOLE it from his Momma

LiveLaughLove
12/15/2012, 05:16 PM

Your thesis about video games not being a problem because these shootings are down, also supports that guns aren't the problem either.

Gun ownership is at an all time high, yet these types of shootings are down. In fact, murder with firearms is down.

When you take out gang related shootings, gun violence is rare in the USA.

I would contend the push should be to eliminate guns in gang bangers hands. Thus reducing fears of normal citizens, making them feel less of a need to own a gun in the first place.

It's cause and effect. You guys want to just blanket gun laws on everybody. Not gonna fly without a huge fight (legal).

But the same liberals that want to take our guns, also will be the first ones screaming racist policy if we actually cracked down on the problem of ILLEGAL guns in the hands of gang members.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/15/2012, 06:33 PM
Did you miss the "well regulated militia" part?

I didn't. YOU forgot the ever-present, well-regulated commas present throughout the Amendment.

A well regulated militia... COMMA.

Being necessary to the security of a free state... COMMA.

The right of the people to keep and bear arms... COMMA.

Shall not be infringed.

Point being, example after example exist of the intent of the language by gentlemen like Samuel Adams, Noah Webster, George Mason, James Monroe, all in the establishment of an armed populace to prevent tyranny of government, that populace often forming that "well-regulated militia" which was in and of itself part of the argument from the original language that had state militias defined and formed by the Federal Government.

I won't even bother to go into Madison's original submission of this article, nor the following changes made by the Senate which EVENTUALLY whittled down into the Amendment we have today. In the original intent as well as its multiple faces afterwards, it is bone-shatteringly clear that the "well-regulated militia" of which you speak is in fact the very people of the State. The two parts are defining and separate, as was also seen in the two versions that existed post-ratification. The version signed by Congress and the version sent to the States for ratification.

So for those trying to pump their personal opinions into how THEY see the proud II Amendment, read it like this, like the States did when they reviewed it for ratification.

A well-regulated militia being necessary for the security of a free state...

The right of the people to keep and bear arms...

Shall not be infringed.

The people ARE the militia. Look only to the Uniform Militia law of 1792.

SouthCarolinaSooner
12/15/2012, 06:44 PM
Your thesis about video games not being a problem because these shootings are down, also supports that guns aren't the problem either.

Gun ownership is at an all time high, yet these types of shootings are down. In fact, murder with firearms is down.

When you take out gang related shootings, gun violence is rare in the USA.

I would contend the push should be to eliminate guns in gang bangers hands. Thus reducing fears of normal citizens, making them feel less of a need to own a gun in the first place.

It's cause and effect. You guys want to just blanket gun laws on everybody. Not gonna fly without a huge fight (legal).

But the same liberals that want to take our guns, also will be the first ones screaming racist policy if we actually cracked down on the problem of ILLEGAL guns in the hands of gang members.
L3 I've actually enjoyed a few of your posts lately, and here's another one that's mostly pretty good. You're incorrect that gun ownership is at an all-time high (unless you meant sheer volume of weapons, which may be true due to population size)

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120731095634-declining-gun-ownership-chart-story-top.jpg

but I'd wager you're spot on with the gang violence statement. They've cracked down on guns in Chicago and to everyone's surprise, the Latin Kings and Gangster Disciples really don't give a ****! 487 homicides this year and I bet that number is actually higher, the ghetto isn't exactly conducive to accurate police reports. Thankfully these mass shootings in suburbia are few and far between, despite CNN's best attempts to bring fear into every household, the chances of being killed in a school shooting are 1 in a million, or significantly less likely than being hit by an asteroid (1 in 500,000).

We'll be alright, but lets still not sell firearms to the mentally deranged.

SouthCarolinaSooner
12/15/2012, 06:50 PM
The people ARE the militia. Look only to the Uniform Militia law of 1792.
"That every citizen, so enrolled and notified, shall, within six months thereafter, provide himself with a good musket or firelock, a sufficient bayonet and belt, two spare flints, and a knapsack, a pouch, with a box therein, to contain not less than twenty four cartridges, suited to the bore of his musket or firelock, each cartridge to contain a proper quantity of powder and ball; or with a good rifle, knapsack, shot-pouch, and powder-horn, twenty balls suited to the bore of his rifle, and a quarter of a pound of powder; and shall appear so armed, accoutred and provided, when called out to exercise or into service, except, that when called out on company days to exercise only, he may appear without a knapsack."

This seems a very antiquated piece of legislation to be citing, especially given that it also asks for Federal regulation of the militias.

The SCOTUS has always accepted limitations to the Bill of Rights, so you can't yell fire in a crowded theater or purchase an RPG.

LiveLaughLove
12/15/2012, 06:59 PM
L3 I've actually enjoyed a few of your posts lately, and here's another one that's mostly pretty good. You're incorrect that gun ownership is at an all-time high (unless you meant sheer volume of weapons, which may be true due to population size)

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120731095634-declining-gun-ownership-chart-story-top.jpg

but I'd wager you're spot on with the gang violence statement. They've cracked down on guns in Chicago and to everyone's surprise, the Latin Kings and Gangster Disciples really don't give a ****! 487 homicides this year and I bet that number is actually higher, the ghetto isn't exactly conducive to accurate police reports. Thankfully these mass shootings in suburbia are few and far between, despite CNN's best attempts to bring fear into every household, the chances of being killed in a school shooting are 1 in a million, or significantly less likely than being hit by an asteroid (1 in 500,000).

We'll be alright, but lets still not sell firearms to the mentally deranged.

I agree that we shouldn't sell to the mentally deranged. I also believe that end of our society is way behind the curve. We need better ways to cull the herd so to speak. Unfortunately, people only go to psychiatrists/psychologists for the most part on their own volition. We need some way (without infringing on people's rights) to identify them in society in general. The problem would be the state (the government) would have the ability to use it against us as a control method. Not sure how to handle that.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/15/2012, 07:14 PM
Morgan Freeman's statement about these random shootings....

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are ho...usehold names, but do you kn
ow the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem."

pphilfran
12/15/2012, 07:20 PM
I totally agree with Mr Freeman...report the thing...give the facts...and be done with it and move on...

LiveLaughLove
12/15/2012, 07:27 PM

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are ho...usehold names, but do you kn
ow the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem."

Interesting dychotomy. 1st amendment rights vs 2nd amendment rights. I wonder which the media would favor in that argument. (That's rhetorical just in case it didn't come through).

I think it would go a long ways to curbing some of these maniacs. I think the media would flip out.

cleller
12/15/2012, 08:35 PM
I totally agree with Mr Freeman...report the thing...give the facts...and be done with it and move on...

With just one small addition. "The suspect was know as a disgusting little outcast, who no one liked".

yermom
12/15/2012, 09:23 PM
Interesting dychotomy. 1st amendment rights vs 2nd amendment rights. I wonder which the media would favor in that argument. (That's rhetorical just in case it didn't come through).

I think it would go a long ways to curbing some of these maniacs. I think the media would flip out.

the dichotomy is money vs. ethics. sure they have to right to report news in a way that makes the maximum about of money for them, but should they report it the way they do?

LiveLaughLove
12/15/2012, 09:34 PM
the dichotomy is money vs. ethics. sure they have to right to report news in a way that makes the maximum about of money for them, but should they report it the way they do?

I agree. Thats just not how it would be framed by the media.

FaninAma
12/15/2012, 09:40 PM
With just one small addition. "The suspect was know as a

disgusting little outcast, who no one liked".

So, do you think the gunman lived his whole life with that type of feeling expressed toward him? If so I wonder if it was helpful.

I know you are conveying how you feel towards him now but I think adults should always try to build kids up even if they are different. I am in no way excusing this monstrous act but it is obvious Adam Lanza didn't get to be the monster he turned out to be over night.

kevpks
12/15/2012, 09:43 PM
I agree. Thats just not how it would be framed by the media.

One thing that disturbs me about news coverage of events like this lately is their race to beat twitter to the scoop. Their methods for confirming information from sources is sloppy or non-existent. They just throw rumors out there or hide behind a phrase such as, "Some are reporting that..."

LiveLaughLove
12/15/2012, 09:52 PM
One thing that disturbs me about news coverage of events like this lately is their race to beat twitter to the scoop. Their methods for confirming information from sources is sloppy or non-existent. They just throw rumors out there or hide behind a phrase such as, "Some are reporting that..."

They are inherently lazy and narcissistic. They want to be first, but don't want to do the actual work for it. They also don't have the common decency to leave the families alone.

Ratings drive their morality.

soonercruiser
12/15/2012, 09:59 PM
Intersesting posts.
I will try not to "look in the mirror" this evening.
(I might see Mid!)
:playful:

8timechamps
12/16/2012, 12:05 AM
Both of my boys play violent video games, so I have some experience in this subject. First, their mom and I (divorced for over 6 years) have strict rules that limit their time spent on any video games. It's a privilege, and they can earn the time to play them, or can have them taken away. Secondly, we have very open conversations about violence, mental health, events like this shooting, etc. (well, as open as you can with a 13 year old). Neither of my boys have ever been a disturbance at school (or elsewhere), and neither has shown the slightest propensity to injure another human (or animal).

However, that is 100% parental interaction. I can only imagine what a young kid would have to deal with in his/her mind if they were left to play these games ad nauseam, with no limit or discussion about their content. There is no question that the violent video games have desensitized youth to death. The same can be said for movies and television.

The bottom line is how a child is raised. Kids these days are bombarded daily with influences (many negative) that I didn't have to worry about as a kid. So, it's never been so essential to be an active parent, as it is now. But, I knew that going in...sadly, many don't, or just don't care.

I read something this morning about the shooter's aunt. She was talking about the kid being raised in a loving home with involved parents. She said (about her sister) "She was never one to think her kids were perfect, and would have offered help if she thought there was a problem". Now, I don't want to speak badly of a person that is going through such a horrifying time, and I'm sure she isn't in a place where she can think clearly, but there is no way, no how, that this kid went to sleep on Thursday night a normal kid, and woke up Friday morning a mass murderer. We will find in the coming weeks and months that there were signs that something was off about this kid. The anger in me wants to blame the parents. How can you not be involved enough to know something is going awry?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/16/2012, 12:11 AM
These shootings won't stop, and our only hope is that the next time somebody decides to do something like this somebody else is ready for them and sends their sorry *** off to their maker before they have a chance to hurt innocents. Of course if this happens people like you will want the good guy thrown in jail unless he waits for the other guy to kill a few. Then, if the guy gets a little excited and over zealous and gives the guy a couple extra rounds for good measure you'd be all over it. "First-degree murder!! He didn't have to kill him so hard." Meh.This is exactly the predictable pattern, and they like it that way. They will continue to scream for gun control, totally ignoring the reality of the situation.

FaninAma
12/16/2012, 11:41 AM
8timeschamp, you are right. There were warning signs. Nobody commits a souless act one day after being a normal human for all the days leading up to that act.

yermom
12/16/2012, 11:45 AM
i'm not that sure of that, not really. especially not necessarily in some documented way.

but even so, what do you do with pre-criminals?

bluedogok
12/16/2012, 03:14 PM
They are inherently lazy and narcissistic. They want to be first, but don't want to do the actual work for it. They also don't have the common decency to leave the families alone.

Ratings drive their morality.
Welcome to the world of infotainment.

TitoMorelli
12/16/2012, 03:38 PM
8timeschamp, you are right. There were warning signs. Nobody commits a souless act one day after being a normal human for all the days leading up to that act.

Same with the VA Tech murderer. Several students had dropped out of at least one class in which he was enrolled, because he literally scared them. Hell, the bat-s__t crazy college professor in Alabama had murdered her own brother years before while living in Massachusetts, and the idiotic DA was too lazy to investigate the case, accepting the ****-and-bull accidental-death story.

8timechamps
12/16/2012, 04:34 PM

I heard this past week that the psychiatrist that was talking with James Holmes had notified the campus police about her fear that he was capable of doing something violent. I don't know the details (and I'm not sure we ever will), but if nothing else, it shows the total break down in the system.

Metal health treatment in this country is about 40 years behind where it should be.

Wishboned
12/16/2012, 04:50 PM
I heard this past week that the psychiatrist that was talking with James Holmes had notified the campus police about her fear that he was capable of doing something violent. I don't know the details (and I'm not sure we ever will), but if nothing else, it shows the total break down in the system.

Metal health treatment in this country is about 40 years behind where it should be.

Here's one mom's experience...

http://gawker.com/5968818/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother

Three days before 20-year-old Adam Lanza killed his mother, then opened fire on a classroom full of Connecticut kindergartners, my 13-year-old son Michael (name changed) missed his bus because he was wearing the wrong color pants.

"I can wear these pants," he said, his tone increasingly belligerent, the black-hole pupils of his eyes swallowing the blue irises.

"They are navy blue," I told him. "Your school's dress code says black or khaki pants only."

"They told me I could wear these," he insisted. "You're a stupid bitch. I can wear whatever pants I want to. This is America. I have rights!"

"You can't wear whatever pants you want to," I said, my tone affable, reasonable. "And you definitely cannot call me a stupid bitch. You're grounded from electronics for the rest of the day. Now get in the car, and I will take you to school."

I live with a son who is mentally ill. I love my son. But he terrifies me.
A few weeks ago, Michael pulled a knife and threatened to kill me and then himself after I asked him to return his overdue library books. His 7- and 9-year-old siblings knew the safety plan—they ran to the car and locked the doors before I even asked them to. I managed to get the knife from Michael, then methodically collected all the sharp objects in the house into a single Tupperware container that now travels with me. Through it all, he continued to scream insults at me and threaten to kill or hurt me.

That conflict ended with three burly police officers and a paramedic wrestling my son onto a gurney for an expensive ambulance ride to the local emergency room. The mental hospital didn't have any beds that day, and Michael calmed down nicely in the ER, so they sent us home with a prescription for Zyprexa and a follow-up visit with a local pediatric psychiatrist.

We still don't know what's wrong with Michael. Autism spectrum, ADHD, Oppositional Defiant or Intermittent Explosive Disorder have all been tossed around at various meetings with probation officers and social workers and counselors and teachers and school administrators. He's been on a slew of antipsychotic and mood-altering pharmaceuticals, a Russian novel of behavioral plans. Nothing seems to work.

At the start of seventh grade, Michael was accepted to an accelerated program for highly gifted math and science students. His IQ is off the charts. When he's in a good mood, he will gladly bend your ear on subjects ranging from Greek mythology to the differences between Einsteinian and Newtonian physics to Doctor Who. He's in a good mood most of the time. But when he's not, watch out. And it's impossible to predict what will set him off.

Several weeks into his new junior high school, Michael began exhibiting increasingly odd and threatening behaviors at school. We decided to transfer him to the district's most restrictive behavioral program, a contained school environment where children who can't function in normal classrooms can access their right to free public babysitting from 7:30 to 1:50 Monday through Friday until they turn 18.

The morning of the pants incident, Michael continued to argue with me on the drive. He would occasionally apologize and seem remorseful. Right before we turned into his school parking lot, he said, "Look, Mom, I'm really sorry. Can I have video games back today?"

"No way," I told him. "You cannot act the way you acted this morning and think you can get your electronic privileges back that quickly."

His face turned cold, and his eyes were full of calculated rage. "Then I'm going to kill myself," he said. "I'm going to jump out of this car right now and kill myself."

That was it. After the knife incident, I told him that if he ever said those words again, I would take him straight to the mental hospital, no ifs, ands, or buts. I did not respond, except to pull the car into the opposite lane, turning left instead of right.

"Where are you taking me?" he said, suddenly worried. "Where are we going?"

"You know where we are going," I replied.

"No! You can't do that to me! You're sending me to hell! You're sending me straight to hell!"

I pulled up in front of the hospital, frantically waving for one of the clinicians who happened to be standing outside. "Call the police," I said. "Hurry."

Michael was in a full-blown fit by then, screaming and hitting. I hugged him close so he couldn't escape from the car. He bit me several times and repeatedly jabbed his elbows into my rib cage. I'm still stronger than he is, but I won't be for much longer.

The police came quickly and carried my son screaming and kicking into the bowels of the hospital. I started to shake, and tears filled my eyes as I filled out the paperwork—"Were there any difficulties with… at what age did your child… were there any problems with.. has your child ever experienced.. does your child have…"

At least we have health insurance now. I recently accepted a position with a local college, giving up my freelance career because when you have a kid like this, you need benefits. You'll do anything for benefits. No individual insurance plan will cover this kind of thing.

For days, my son insisted that I was lying—that I made the whole thing up so that I could get rid of him. The first day, when I called to check up on him, he said, "I hate you. And I'm going to get my revenge as soon as I get out of here."

By day three, he was my calm, sweet boy again, all apologies and promises to get better. I've heard those promises for years. I don't believe them anymore.

On the intake form, under the question, "What are your expectations for treatment?" I wrote, "I need help."

And I do. This problem is too big for me to handle on my own. Sometimes there are no good options. So you just pray for grace and trust that in hindsight, it will all make sense.

I am sharing this story because I am Adam Lanza's mother. I am Dylan Klebold's and Eric Harris's mother. I am Jason Holmes's mother. I am Jared Loughner's mother. I am Seung-Hui Cho's mother. And these boys—and their mothers—need help. In the wake of another horrific national tragedy, it's easy to talk about guns. But it's time to talk about mental illness.

According to Mother Jones, since 1982, 61 mass murders involving firearms have occurred throughout the country. Of these, 43 of the killers were white males, and only one was a woman. Mother Jones focused on whether the killers obtained their guns legally (most did). But this highly visible sign of mental illness should lead us to consider how many people in the U.S. live in fear, like I do.

When I asked my son's social worker about my options, he said that the only thing I could do was to get Michael charged with a crime. "If he's back in the system, they'll create a paper trail," he said. "That's the only way you're ever going to get anything done. No one will pay attention to you unless you've got charges."

I don't believe my son belongs in jail. The chaotic environment exacerbates Michael's sensitivity to sensory stimuli and doesn't deal with the underlying pathology. But it seems like the United States is using prison as the solution of choice for mentally ill people. According to Human Rights Watch, the number of mentally ill inmates in U.S. prisons quadrupled from 2000 to 2006, and it continues to rise—in fact, the rate of inmate mental illness is five times greater (56 percent) than in the non-incarcerated population.

With state-run treatment centers and hospitals shuttered, prison is now the last resort for the mentally ill—Rikers Island, the LA County Jail and Cook County Jail in Illinois housed the nation's largest treatment centers in 2011.

No one wants to send a 13-year-old genius who loves Harry Potter and his snuggle animal collection to jail. But our society, with its stigma on mental illness and its broken healthcare system, does not provide us with other options. Then another tortured soul shoots up a fast food restaurant. A mall. A kindergarten classroom. And we wring our hands and say, "Something must be done."

I agree that something must be done. It's time for a meaningful, nation-wide conversation about mental health. That's the only way our nation can ever truly heal.

God help me. God help Michael. God help us all.

bluedogok
12/16/2012, 05:00 PM
it was pretty much dismantled by the Community Mental Health Act of 1963.

8timechamps
12/16/2012, 09:51 PM

That's a powerful testament to the way things really are.

What I've found interesting in the cases of the few (shooters) I've looked into, is the lack of a father and/or an absentee father. That says something to me. My ex-wife is an excellent mother, but both of my boys will push her limits. With me, there is never a question of how far they can push me. They know it's black and white. Even though my ex-wife and I haven't lived together in years, we still parent as a team. In most of the cases I've look at, the father was either not in the picture, or "too busy" to be involved. It doesn't take a psychiatric specialist to see what's happening.

yermom
12/16/2012, 10:29 PM

yeah, i've known that kid a few times over. i haven't seen a lot of them as adults though. i'm fairly sure none of them shot up schools. one went to prison though.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/17/2012, 10:21 AM

Like I said, ban the press from reporting. You don't go live and you can only report a factual statement. That will stop the idiots out there from going for the glory...the stupid press is all over a "breaking story" and they rush to show video of absolutely worthless crap...

olevetonahill
12/17/2012, 10:24 AM

Ole Morgan is sayin now that he never said that.
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/morgan-freeman-denies-making-statement-school-shooting-013627371.html

Wishboned
12/17/2012, 11:26 AM
Ole Morgan is sayin now that he never said that.
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/morgan-freeman-denies-making-statement-school-shooting-013627371.html

It just sounds better if you imagine it in his voice.

Or Michael Caine's.

StoopTroup
12/17/2012, 02:43 PM

There is plenty of Air Force Pilots who will back up how it took one heck of a lot of bombs that they dropped to finally affect them but affect them it did. Now...did it affect everyone of them the same way? Not always. Thus...there are as many threads in this forum to discuss the many ideas and situations that continue to be uncovered by the media and the Police as we get more and more info.

I don't think anyone who is talking about any of this is crazy. What was crazy is what happened in that School.