PDA

View Full Version : Sonny Dykes

cleller
12/14/2012, 07:01 PM
Don't know a lot about him, other than he made La Tech a respectable team. Was wondering if he was considered for either the Arky or Tenn jobs? If not, why? "Sonny Dykes" and "California" don't seem to go together.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2012, 07:55 PM
Don't know a lot about him, other than he made La Tech a respectable team. Was wondering if he was considered for either the Arky or Tenn jobs? If not, why? "Sonny Dykes" and "California" don't seem to go together.

I live in CA and I can assure you dykes are welcome here.

soonerhillbilly
12/14/2012, 07:57 PM
: ) nice!

hvhurricane
12/14/2012, 10:35 PM
I agree. This seems like an odd hire. I don't know that they brought in somebody that was already better than what they had in Tedford.

Salt City Sooner
12/15/2012, 10:20 AM
Sometimes the situation itself just gets stale (see Reid w/ Philly). It's not a knock on the coach himself per se, it's just that there comes a time when it's best for a new start & I think it's what happened there. Cal had some very good years w/ JT, but they've been pretty mediocre for a while now.

bluedogok
12/15/2012, 11:52 AM
Tenn hired Derek Dooley from La Tech, not sure they wanted to go there again since Dooley didn't work out well. I think Bielma to Arkansas had been in the works for a long time since they had a year to find a coach since it was pretty much a given that the "interim" tag was not going to change for Smith.

I was thinking Dykes might be on Texas Tech's radar given his experience there under his father and Leach. I think he was already in discussions at Cal when Tuberville bolted.

jjgunni19
12/15/2012, 04:34 PM
Add Content

Sabanball
12/15/2012, 08:04 PM
Tenn hired Derek Dooley from La Tech, not sure they wanted to go there again since Dooley didn't work out well. I think Bielma to Arkansas had been in the works for a long time since they had a year to find a coach since it was pretty much a given that the "interim" tag was not going to change for Smith.

I was thinking Dykes might be on Texas Tech's radar given his experience there under his father and Leach. I think he was already in discussions at Cal when Tuberville bolted.

This....

BoulderSooner79
12/15/2012, 10:36 PM
Add Content

Regular content. Larger content.

8timechamps
12/15/2012, 11:38 PM

If Klingsbury hadn't been within reach for Tech, I think Dykes would have been a top candidate. The AD at Tech played the best card he had, hiring Klingsbury satisfies the fan base, and if he fails, the AD can say "well, we tried", and can pick his replacement without any heat. If he succeeds, then the AD looks like a genius. Nice place to be.

King Crimson
12/16/2012, 04:05 AM
how old i Klingsbury?

his coming out party was against us in 99. Stoops year 1 Sooners blow another double digit lead to lose in Lub as i recall. this is the game Heupel throws it backwards for a completion IIRC.

picasso
12/16/2012, 08:43 AM
You're in Mississippi now boayy.

Or was that Berkley?

King Crimson
12/16/2012, 09:46 AM
sort of like Bill McCartney in Boulder.

depending on who you ask around here....that worked, or didn't.

when your dream job is lubbock...world is a place i already don't get.

cleller
12/16/2012, 11:48 AM
sort of like Bill McCartney in Boulder.

depending on who you ask around here....that worked, or didn't.

when your dream job is lubbock...world is a place i already don't get.

Cue Mac Davis

qv0LOTnH_Cw

bluedogok
12/16/2012, 02:53 PM
Most of the people that I have known who went to Tech have no desire to live in Lubbock, that includes my wife and quite a few current and former co-workers. I know at least in the architecture biz there are a whole lot of Tech alums in DFW, Austin and Denver. They love Tech but have no desire to live in Lubbock.