PDA

View Full Version : OU vs. aTm... Tell me why we will win?

Fraggle145
12/14/2012, 03:12 PM
So I've got a bad feeling about this game...

Tell me why we will win?

We always do well when everyone picks against us, but besides that I'm not feeling too confident.

The main reason I'm not feeling confident:
We suck against mobile QBs.

KantoSooner
12/14/2012, 03:14 PM
If we maintain containment, we'll do okay.

badger
12/14/2012, 03:14 PM
We've been the better team in bowls and lost before, so there's no reason why the reverse can't be true also. But, I think we're the better team. I will never chant SEC, even if we inevitably have to join it.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2012, 03:29 PM
Every team sucks defending mobile QBs - or I should say the versatility of such a QB is an advantage.

We get the long layoff like everyone else that is supposed to give the advantage to the defenses. Maybe the question is whether Mike can out duel his aTm DC counterpart because they will have their hands full with our passing game + Belldozer.

I have to give the edge to aggie at this point. I'm assuming it will be somewhat of a shootout and I think our losing Saunders and his big play threat tips the scale for them. Of course other off-the-field things can happen to either team between now and then.

possumfat
12/14/2012, 04:32 PM
I still find it unfair they get to play with 12 men on the field!!

yermom
12/14/2012, 05:01 PM
i'm not sure i have been as ready to lose a game as i am for this one

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/14/2012, 05:08 PM
i'm not sure i have been as READY TO LOSE a game as i am for this oneWTF, man,don't let that be contagious to the team!

sendbaht
12/14/2012, 05:48 PM
Feeling are just that....feelings...my feeling goes like this.....they have a off game....we run all over them and play a game like we have been playing together for 10 years. It's a game everyone will talk about all year. Boomer Sooner!!!

Soonerjeepman
12/14/2012, 07:59 PM
Haven't really looked at a/m. Besides him and the ALL WORLD D-ends, what do they have?

In another post, they beat bama, lost to uf/lsu didn't play ug or usc...the rest of their wins were against losers, besides La tech and they won by 2.

IF our offense is on, I think we are good. Passing, and running. If they play ND d and sell out to stop the run I PRAY TO GOD we continue with short 5-6 yr slants and passes...and not try and ram it down their throat to no success. Take what they give us.

yes, OU has given up a ton of rushing yards to wv, osu, bu but we won all those. ksu I honestly believe WE LOST..ksu took advantage of OUR ineptness, ND...they had some rushing but we were tied with 6 frickin minutes left in the game.

I'm think OU will win.

8timechamps
12/14/2012, 08:14 PM
First, I am not a believer that Texas A&M is the better team. I've heard that a lot (and even here), but I don't see it.

What can hurt OU:

1. Texas A&M offense - The Aggies finished the year with the #3 ranked offense in the country. So, I put them squarely in the Baylor, Oklahoma State & West Virginia category. All three of those teams gave our defense fits. So, I expect more of the same.

2. It's the Cotton Bowl - In all of my years of watching bowl games, the one thing I've learned is that other than the national title game, sometimes motivation is in issue for bowl teams. The Fiesta Bowl against West Virginia is a perfect example of that. One team was very motivated to be there, and one team was not. The Cotton Bowl is not the national title game, nor is it a BCS game.

3. A&M is Hot - The Aggies got a ton of attention once they upset Alabama, but their hot streak really started with a close loss to LSU. After the LSU loss, the Aggies reeled off 5 straight wins, and really the only close game was the Alabama game (and the Aggies jumped out to a 20-0 first quarter lead in that one).

What can help OU:

1. Texas A&M defense - In a league that is renowned for how they play defense, A&M has been pretty bad. Texas A&M finished the season ranked #56 in total defense, allowing almost 400 yards per game. And those are kind of eye-popping numbers when you consider the offenses in the SEC are not nearly as potent as the offenses in the Big XII.

2. It's the Cotton Bowl - Although this isn't he national title game, or a BCS game, it is as close to a BCS game as you can get without playing in one. The game is the only game on January 4, and it's sandwiched between the Fiesta Bowl (Jan. 3) and the National Title Game (Jan. 7). It may not have BCS in the title, but it will have the look and feel of a BCS game.

3. A&M is (over)hyped - I'm not sure I can remember a bowl game that OU has played in, where almost every talking head is picking the opponent. That should provide motivation for any player that isn't otherwise motivated to be there. Given that motivation is maybe the single most important factor in bowl games, that's a benefit for OU.

I'm not 100% sure the Sooners will win, but I really think they will. This year's team may not be as talented as last year's team, and they may have some issues in the trenches, but there is no questioning this team's resolve and character. This team does not give up, and it may very well come down to 'who wants it more' in the end.

Mazeppa
12/14/2012, 08:51 PM
We suck against mobile QBs.

Apparently the number 2 team in the country does too.

owenfieldreams
12/14/2012, 10:15 PM
I would add a few more observations relative to A&M. They are losing their O coordinator, much like FSU did before the NC game in 2001 (Marc Richt). I expect them to have the same "rust" problems on O that most spread teams do after long layoffs. It's questionable as to how Manziel will handle the rubber chicken circuit in terms of sharpness in the game.

We know this O inside and out. Not only is their D not all that great (althought better than they've had in recent years), when they went against the one true spread team on their schedule (La. Tech) they were torched.

Finally, these are college kids and their memories are short and their psyches fragile. When you walk on the field against a team you've lost to 8 of the last 9 times and in some cases, by program all time worst scores, theirs likely some trepidation in the mindset.
They will have a highly emotional crowd behind them and will probably out numer us in the bleachers but we have played well in hostile environments this year. I like our chances.

MyT Oklahoma
12/15/2012, 12:14 AM
Because were Oklahoma and we expect to win. Next question please.

SCOUT
12/15/2012, 12:44 AM
Oklahoma has had a pretty good track record against Heisman trophy winners/contenders. K State is the exception that proves this rule.

King Crimson
12/15/2012, 02:17 AM
I'm not sure I can remember a bowl game that OU has played in, where almost every talking head is picking the opponent.

2001 Orange Bowl.

all i am saying here is that that's a bowl game i can remember where every talking head was picking the opponent.

i make no comparison b/ween this OU team and that, that bowl and this. just you watch a vid of that game and the announcers are giving the game to Grampa Weinke until about the 3rd quarter...OU has no chance.

i don't know what to think about this game. who knows with us anymore? i agree with Fraggle that run-pass QB's have been especially tough for our D's in the Stoops era.

Sumlin having been on staff is a (get ready for it.....platitude fans)....."X factor" that could go either way. sort of like a junior version Stoops-Snyder. I don't like ATM much... so i hope we pound them but i'll take the 1 point win no questions asked.

FirstandGoal
12/15/2012, 11:09 AM
I think the biggest reason we win this one is that after the Domer game, we found a way to win all of the rest no matter what was going on. We won a game where the team was in "meh" mode and the opposing QB had an amazing game. We won a game where our D allowed an ungodly amount of yardage against them, but our O looked like a playstation O. We won a game where we didn't lead one single time until the last play of the game in OT. We won a road game against a much-improved from the early part of the season TCU (a game a lot of prognosticators thought we might lose at the start of the season).

Instead of finding ways to lose, we fought in the trenches and found ways to win.

revelladee
12/15/2012, 12:39 PM
We are gonna win because Im going to the game!!!

yermom
12/15/2012, 02:13 PM
I think the biggest reason we win this one is that after the Domer game, we found a way to win all of the rest no matter what was going on. We won a game where the team was in "meh" mode and the opposing QB had an amazing game. We won a game where our D allowed an ungodly amount of yardage against them, but our O looked like a playstation O. We won a game where we didn't lead one single time until the last play of the game in OT. We won a road game against a much-improved from the early part of the season TCU (a game a lot of prognosticators thought we might lose at the start of the season).

Instead of finding ways to lose, we fought in the trenches and found ways to win.

i will give you that. the team has tightened up when it needed to and refused to lose. and as a bonus, we aren't playing in Norman :D

it will be interesting to see the defensive scheme for Johnny Football

Tulsa_Fireman
12/15/2012, 03:16 PM
I got a feeling Mr. Shannon and Mr. Jefferson will be enjoying an all-expense paid trip to Mr. Man-sseire's backfield party.

NormanPride
12/15/2012, 03:20 PM
I unfortunately remember the last time Sumlin coached an aTm offense against us. Had a mobile QB then as well. We also had a safety that liked to peek in the backfield like we do now.

We had better linebackers then.

Soonerjeepman
12/15/2012, 03:40 PM
ok, they beat bama...but I was watching some "highlites"...a/m had several...WTH was that moments...fumbled snaps...ALMOST sacked, falling down..COMPLETELY wide open receivers in the endzone...

we just play solid D we should be ok...SHOULD.

VA Sooner
12/15/2012, 04:57 PM
Solid D with a QB spy (Shannon) in the middle and contain. Make him throw and have our secondary pick him off one by one.

Offense will have to wipe off the rust and carry on... hoping the run game stays intact (should improve with D. Williams' ankle healed 100%)

8timechamps
12/15/2012, 04:59 PM
2001 Orange Bowl.

all i am saying here is that that's a bowl game i can remember where every talking head was picking the opponent.

i make no comparison b/ween this OU team and that, that bowl and this. just you watch a vid of that game and the announcers are giving the game to Grampa Weinke until about the 3rd quarter...OU has no chance.

i don't know what to think about this game. who knows with us anymore? i agree with Fraggle that run-pass QB's have been especially tough for our D's in the Stoops era.

Sumlin having been on staff is a (get ready for it.....platitude fans)....."X factor" that could go either way. sort of like a junior version Stoops-Snyder. I don't like ATM much... so i hope we pound them but i'll take the 1 point win no questions asked.

Yep, that would be the last bowl game (that I remember) nobody thinking we had a shot. I'd take a similar performance in this bowl game.

yankee
12/28/2012, 09:55 PM
Anyone know how our OL and Landry should/will hold up to the aggy DL?

BoulderSooner79
12/28/2012, 10:55 PM
Anyone know how our OL and Landry should/will hold up to the aggy DL?

Our OL has held up well all season with PASS protection. Combine that with Saunders playing and I see LJ having a big day. I still think we'll need at least 100 yds on the ground plus a little Belldozer to win and that's a question mark.

VA Sooner
12/29/2012, 09:54 AM
Need that balanced attack and the middle is susceptible to the run... just a matter of our O-line making some holes for the RBs.

PLaw
12/29/2012, 02:28 PM
Can't believe it hasn't been said - TAMU's O-coord and qb coach will be long gone. It will be interesting to see how Johnny H. makes out without his mentor.

Boomer

ruf/nekdad
12/29/2012, 04:38 PM
We will win because I desperately want to be 6 and 0 against texas teams AND beat osu this season.

SOONER!

MichiganSooner
12/29/2012, 05:04 PM
Oklahoma has had a pretty good track record against Heisman trophy winners/contenders. K State is the exception that proves this rule.

So how did OU do against the last 2 Heisman winners it faced? Leinart and Tebow?

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/29/2012, 05:10 PM
Because we're better! That's why we win!

I expect Johnny "Hyman" to struggle. The Heisman curse will make an appearance.

pphilfran
12/29/2012, 05:21 PM
So how did OU do against the last 2 Heisman winners it faced? Leinart and Tebow?

They pretty well contained Tebow...two picks...Harvin is the one that hurt the Sooners...

I don't believe we have ever played SC in a MNC game... :)

yukonsooner
12/29/2012, 05:24 PM
Johnny may have won the Heisman, but there is no way he can continue to preform at that level. This will be the beginning of the downfall of "Johnny Football", "Johnny Heisman" or "Johnny What-Ever-It-Is-This-Week"

StoopTroup
12/30/2012, 12:15 AM
We win because Mike will get the Defense to shut down Johnny Football. I mean...how inspirational does playing the 1st Freshman QB to win the Heisman Trophy have to be? It has to be KatNip to Mike and the Defense. I'd be working out twice as hard and getting psyched up to kick his a$$.

FaninAma
12/30/2012, 12:37 AM
OU has beaten 3 offenses better than TAMU. Baylor probably has had the best offense in the nation since Sistrunk was inserted into the lineup.if the OL protects Landry we will score enough points to win.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/30/2012, 01:17 AM
We will win for the simple reason that we will have more points than Lassie at the end of the game.

If anyone else above gave that reason, i apologize. Didn't read them all.

Salt City Sooner
12/30/2012, 02:56 AM
I unfortunately remember the last time Sumlin coached an aTm offense against us. Had a mobile QB then as well. We also had a safety that liked to peek in the backfield like we do now.

We had better linebackers then.
We also hadn't prepared for him; Dustin Long was the starter for them that day but RC rolled the dice after Long struggled big time & it came up big for him. One can also put a bit of the blame on the OU offense as well. They got inside the A&M red zone 3 times (twice inside the 10) & had to settle for FG's all 3 times.

Unfortunately, I seem to vaguely remember playing another one after those two. Seems like it might've been last year.......:(

StoopTroup
12/30/2012, 02:59 AM
Cause we r bet R?

King Crimson
12/30/2012, 06:11 AM
if atm is a legit top 5-10 team, we'll need to play our best game to beat them. we've lost to the two best teams we've played at home.

I Am Right
12/30/2012, 01:34 PM
a&m doesn't show up

JLEW1818
12/30/2012, 04:12 PM
Significant injury would be the only way we win.

LiveLaughLove
12/30/2012, 04:34 PM
We're Oklahoma, and they're not.