PDA

View Full Version : Is Texas A&M going dominate in the SEC?

cleller
12/14/2012, 10:08 AM
A&M seems to be riding a wave right now. Big turnaround from just a couple years ago. It also seems they are going to whip Mack's team in recruiting and status in Texas. Add in the Sumlin factor and thing look even more rosy for them.

With such a great state to recruit, and their position in the SEC, does this mean they are going to get all the best Texas players now? Will other Texas players then gravitate even more toward SEC schools?

Will also be interesting to see if this exposes any weaknesses for Les.

Curly Bill
12/14/2012, 10:11 AM
No doubt about it they're hot right now, but no, they're not going to start dominating the SEC, or recruiting in Texas, or anything else. Like happens to other teams they'll settle back into what they traditionally are soon enough.

OUInformant
12/14/2012, 10:32 AM
How hot will they be when we trounce them in a bowl game (well, maybe not trounce)?

SoonR4Life
12/14/2012, 10:45 AM
The general consensus from the "experts" and even others I talk to about college football think OU will lose. Some even speak of a blow out, lol

I was trying to remember the last time OU was given "no chance" in a game. I always think OU will win, but I believe this game will come down to the first team to 40 and last one with the football.

I Am Right
12/14/2012, 10:47 AM
they will dominate in the cotton bowl.

KantoSooner
12/14/2012, 11:53 AM
It all depends on whether our guys can contain and pressure Johnny Football. If not, then they win by 25+ going away. If so, we could easily win by the same. Our O is far more versatile than theirs, but we have less OMG factor unless our receivers and Mr. Jones are totally 'on'.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/14/2012, 11:57 AM
If Landry is on and the receivers don't drop the football, OU wins regardless of what ATM does. However, it's a very big question whether Landry will be on and if the receivers will catch the ball after the month off.

badger
12/14/2012, 12:13 PM
Whitney Hand will personally sack her husband if he doesn't make the most of his final college sports opportunity, because unlike Landry, Whitney is finished with college ball. :(

Scott D
12/14/2012, 12:16 PM
Depends, this team has 3 weeks to see if Mike Stoops remembers how to coordinate a zone defense.

pphilfran
12/14/2012, 12:31 PM
The Sooners will shred their defense...first one to 50 wins...maybe...

Flying Scotsman
12/14/2012, 01:31 PM
Only if they change their name to "Alabama" or "LSU"...

nutinbutdust
12/14/2012, 02:16 PM
If by "Dominate" you mean beat over rated teams that can't prepare their defense to play the spead in one week.... maybe. Oh wait, I think that happened this year.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2012, 02:24 PM
Saban is not going to hand over the keys to the SEC without a fight. Saban has proven he can withstand turnover in his staff. Sumlin now faces that task with Kingsbury leaving.

PalmBeachSooner
12/14/2012, 03:08 PM
Whitney Hand will personally sack her husband if he doesn't make the most of his final college sports opportunity, because unlike Landry, Whitney is finished with college ball. :(

He needs to dedicate this game to Whitney.

MichiganSooner
12/14/2012, 04:41 PM
Sumlin will give them a chance to be solid in the SEC. Can anyone imagine Franchione?

htownsooner7
12/14/2012, 05:07 PM
Why is so everyone so impressed with A&M this year? Because the SEC has all those top teams and A&M finished with 10 wins? A&M beat exactly one of those teams (Bama), lost to two of them (FLA and LSU), and did not play two of them (UGA and S Caro). Some of their other SEC wins are over the absolute worst teams those schools have had in modern years. Arky and Auburn were horrible. And don't start with the whole, well they 'should' have beat Fla or LSU. That argument is always stupid. Think Ole MIss and La Tech don't think they are every bit as good as A&M seeing as how Ole Miss lost by 3 AND HAD A 10 PT LEAD IN THE 4TH and La Tech lost by 2?

picasso
12/14/2012, 05:30 PM
I laughed when I read this.

8timechamps
12/14/2012, 06:09 PM
This is an interesting question. A&M proved last year that the "mighty SEC defenses" struggle with an up-tempo/spread offense when they only have a week to prepare. A&M has put together the best recruiting class in the country, so it's possible they will stay in the upper half of the SEC.

What's funny is that they couldn't do jack in the Big XII.

Sabanball
12/14/2012, 06:53 PM
I'll let you know after we play them again in 9 months.;)

cleller
12/14/2012, 06:57 PM
I laughed when I read this.

Yeah, "dominate" was not the most appropriate word there. I was thinking of phrasing it more like:
"Will A&M be able to hang with Bama, and jump over LSU and Florida in the SEC", etc.

I think "will they be a contender" would have been more appropriate.

Soonerjeepman
12/14/2012, 07:53 PM
It all depends on whether our guys can contain and pressure Johnny Football. If not, then they win by 25+ going away. If so, we could easily win by the same. Our O is far more versatile than theirs, but we have less OMG factor unless our receivers and Mr. Jones are totally 'on'.

unfortunately one of our better receivers will not be playing...soooo...who knows. I do think a/m isn't the juggernaut everyone thinks. BUT I do think our run D isn't the best, ANOTHER BUT, we gave up tons of yrds to bu, osu, wv and still won!

birddog
12/14/2012, 09:42 PM
they do have a certain, how do you say, swagger that really seems to be working, however, they're aggies...

Landry and the seniors TCB this game and have a field day the likes of which we haven't seen since Torrance(best actual play i've seen live at a&m).

but, just for fun, we'll make sure that Football feller they have realizes life is great in the sec. after 31-20 loss he'll still be stoked about the cash he got to live there.

Jmorales22
12/14/2012, 10:56 PM
Why is so everyone so impressed with A&M this year? Because the SEC has all those top teams and A&M finished with 10 wins? A&M beat exactly one of those teams (Bama), lost to two of them (FLA and LSU), and did not play two of them (UGA and S Caro). Some of their other SEC wins are over the absolute worst teams those schools have had in modern years. Arky and Auburn were horrible. And don't start with the whole, well they 'should' have beat Fla or LSU. That argument is always stupid. Think Ole MIss and La Tech don't think they are every bit as good as A&M seeing as how Ole Miss lost by 3 AND HAD A 10 PT LEAD IN THE 4TH and La Tech lost by 2?

Exactly! The SEC is top heavy with teams like Alabama, LSU, UGA, UF, etc. but it's a huge conference full of horrible teams like Vanderbilt, Auburn, Arkansas, Tennessee, Missouri, etc. It's easy to build a good looking record with that. Arkansas did it last year, and got it in their head that they are some kind of top program all of a sudden.