PDA

View Full Version : The Hobbit

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/14/2012, 07:16 AM
Did anyone see it yet? I have tickets for Friday evening.

ouleaf
12/14/2012, 11:05 AM
Really thought about going to the midnite showing last night, but realized how tired and unproductive I'd be at work today. Excited to go this weekend though, despite mixed reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

yermom
12/14/2012, 11:15 AM
IMAX tonight at the Warren.

it better not suck.

achiro
12/14/2012, 11:22 AM
My cousin went last night, his Facebook post this morning said that if you hadn't read the book that parts would seem long and tedious but if you liked the books you would love every second.

yermom
12/14/2012, 11:38 AM
i'm not worried about long and tedious. the first two chapters of that book are a test of will with all the introductions and setup.

Lott's Bandana
12/14/2012, 01:12 PM
I intend to get Hobbitized this weekend in NorCal with my daughters.

Some good movies out this season. I'm glad because going to The Warren used to be a nice evening, but I haven't been in quite some time.

Wishboned
12/14/2012, 01:33 PM
Sunday at the IMAX with my grandson.

Oh, and his parents are going too.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/14/2012, 01:36 PM
I'm doing 2D first. I'll do the IMAX next viewing. I'll have to wait a while before I can get Jimi and myself there.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/15/2012, 10:08 AM
I went last night. If you are a fan of the genre, then its a no brainer to go. If you're a purist who wants the book's plot with no side sojourns then you'll be disappointed.

I am a hybrid. I am a Tolkien purist, but I've always longed for coverage of the side stories of events that didn't make the printed page. I consider Jackson's expansions more than acceptable. The need to personize characters and plot lines was necessary to connect multiple movies. I give it 4 Stars.

I sure am curious to know what the movie would have been like had del Toro directed.

DrZaius
12/15/2012, 10:24 AM
It is pretty good. I saw the HFR version yesterday and I am going to see the 2D today. i agree with SPIS. 4 Stars. Here is a good interview with Jackson about expounding the story. A lot of it comes from addendum stuff from when Tolkien was going to re-write the Hobbit back in 51 to swing it closer to TLOTR.

pretty cool stuff

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/12/11/hobbit-peter-jackson-the-hero-complex-interview/

C&CDean
12/15/2012, 10:36 AM
Well it sure as hell ain't no Harry Potter.

yermom
12/15/2012, 02:25 PM
Well it sure as hell ain't no Harry Potter.

Potter wouldn't even exist if Bilbo hadn't gone on An Unexpected Journey

i think Jackson had some work to do with this one. i mean it had to live up to LotR, but it really needed to be more, or why do it?

i think he nailed it

GDC
12/15/2012, 02:30 PM
The Tulsa World critic said it was boring and a mistake to stretch it into three movies.

I will reserve judgement until I see it.

yermom
12/15/2012, 04:02 PM
on another note, Man of Steel and Star Trek: Into Darkness both look awesome

LiveLaughLove
12/15/2012, 08:10 PM
I wonder if Jackson would ever consider doing any of the Silmarillion stories? Some of those are excellent tales. Beren and Luthien Tinuvial would be an excellent story.

I am anxious to go see The Hobbit, but it will have to wait until after Christmas. Buying presents for twelve kids and 2 grandkids tends to siphon the funds this time of year.

picasso
12/16/2012, 08:44 AM
Watch it? Iii lived it.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/16/2012, 10:19 AM
I wonder if Jackson would ever consider doing any of the Silmarillion stories? Some of those are excellent tales. Beren and Luthien Tinuvial would be an excellent story.

I am anxious to go see The Hobbit, but it will have to wait until after Christmas. Buying presents for twelve kids and 2 grandkids tends to siphon the funds this time of year.

It would be cool to see that. Or a version of the Last Great Alliance when Isildur cut the ring from Sauron. But alas, I suspect not.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/16/2012, 10:40 AM
BTW, my favorite new character is Radaghast the Brown. He was hilarious!

OUTrumpet
12/16/2012, 11:27 AM

Some of the extra stuff that went into the Hobbit to make it 3 movies is from the Sim.

Wishboned
12/16/2012, 04:24 PM
I thought it was great. My grandson thought the same. It moves along quite well for an almost three hour long movie.

Visually it was outstanding.

And my 8 year old grandson was not bored at all.

I really don't see how Jackson stretches the remaining story into two movies though.

BigTip
12/16/2012, 06:02 PM
The Tulsa World critic said it was boring and a mistake to stretch it into three movies.

That is what our critic said too.

I didn't know until that review that this was to be a trilogy.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/16/2012, 06:10 PM
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey/critic-reviews

picasso
12/17/2012, 01:36 AM
Most critics have said that LOTR and Tolkien geeks will love it. That's really all that matters.

ouleaf
12/17/2012, 01:50 PM
Saw it Saturday night. Jackson did an outstanding job of bringing the world of Middle Earth alive once again, and pretty well kept to the storyline from what i could tell. Pace of the movie wasn't bad either. Still good amount of story left for 2 more movies I think. Two thumbs up!

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/17/2012, 02:08 PM
Saw it Saturday night. Jackson did an outstanding job of bringing the world of Middle Earth alive once again, and pretty well kept to the storyline from what i could tell. Pace of the movie wasn't bad either. Still good amount of story left for 2 more movies I think. Two thumbs up!

I agree. All the extra material out of the storyline is Appendices material. It is legit Tolkien.

picasso
12/21/2012, 09:31 PM
Awesome flick. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/21/2012, 09:53 PM
Did anyone see it yet? I have tickets for Friday evening.

Yes. Son home from college ... went with him. He enjoyed it.

GDC
12/23/2012, 10:49 PM
Four out of five stars, imo.