PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to football magazines?

lexsooner
12/13/2012, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I know. The Internet killed them off. When I was a kid, I looked forward to the magazines coming out in July. My favorite was Street and Smith. It was so thorough and covered every obscure little conference. That was the golden age of Sooner football under Switzer when we rarely lost and Sooner Magic was the rule. I loved looking down on all of those other teams, thinking OU could blow each of them out. The mag had the thumbnails on players and a 250 lb lineman was huge. I also liked the silly press day photos of players in those poses, like the rb holding the ball with a stiff arm and one leg lifted, or a lineman squatted down with his arms this chest, fists clenched. The cover of Street and Smith had this big All American who wore a helmet without a face mask. I also liked the Big 8 magazine which had all the color pictures. I bought those mags until a few years ago when they started disappearing. My folks have my old mags stored somewhere. What memories they would bring.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/13/2012, 07:40 PM
I buy Phil Steele's mag every year. Totally different feel though. You need a jeweler's loupe to read it.

8timechamps
12/13/2012, 08:37 PM
Yep, I remember them (I too would always buy the Street & Smiths CFB edition).

Does anyone remember the short lived all sports newspaper called The National? They had an edition devoted to college football that was the best I've seen. Too bad they folded...long before internet.

ouwasp
12/13/2012, 09:24 PM
I really liked The Sporting News football magazine, but it went away last yr. Phil Steele's mag is in the other room, pretty ratty by this time o' yr. I still look at it about once a week to check out some player. Last wk I looked up Johnny Manziel. Phil didn't call him "Johnny Football". But you know next summer he'll be on the football mags cover that are still out there...

lexsooner
12/13/2012, 09:25 PM
Yep, I remember them (I too would always buy the Street & Smiths CFB edition).

Does anyone remember the short lived all sports newspaper called The National? They had an edition devoted to college football that was the best I've seen. Too bad they folded...long before internet.

I don't remember that one. I bought the ones you saw in grocery stores, like Street & Smith, the Big 8 magazine (whose names escapes me), Sporting News college FB edition, and a few others. Street and Smith was cheap to buy for a kid, just a couple of bucks because it was printed on that cheap pulp and was all black and white. I still remember his name from a 70s Street and Smith: Zoonie McClean (sp?), the qb for Montana or Montana St. I was so amused by this guy and his name and always thought about how our Selmons would break Zoonie in two and we would win by 100 if we ever played. Those silly press day pictures probably went out when athletes started calling the shots and refused to pose for journalists. I still remember one of a player who was in mid-air flying towards the camera. Try doing that today and the athletic dept. would have a cow because of the risk of injury.

8timechamps
12/13/2012, 09:35 PM
I don't remember that one. I bought the ones you saw in grocery stores, like Street & Smith, the Big 8 magazine (whose names escapes me), Sporting News college FB edition, and a few others. Street and Smith was cheap to buy for a kid, just a couple of bucks because it was printed on that cheap pulp and was all black and white. I still remember his name from a 70s Street and Smith: Zoonie McClean (sp?), the qb for Montana or Montana St. I was so amused by this guy and his name and always thought about how our Selmons would break Zoonie in two and we would win by 100 if we ever played. Those silly press day pictures probably went out when athletes started calling the shots and refused to pose for journalists. I still remember one of a player who was in mid-air flying towards the camera. Try doing that today and the athletic dept. would have a cow because of the risk of injury.

I remember one year OU was featured on the cover of Street & Smiths (in the 80s), and I thought that was the greatest thing ever. I remember there being no color or glossy pages because it was so cheap. I also remember the Big 8 magazine too.

I would read every word written about the Sooners, and maybe one or two other teams (but nowhere near as interested).

Here's what The National looked like:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/THE-NATIONAL-SPORTS-DAILY-September-21-1990-RICKEY-HENDERSON-nears-steal-record-/00/s/ODk2WDcxOQ==/$(KGrHqFHJDME91DEEbR-BPf7FROJV!~~60_57.JPG

bluedogok
12/13/2012, 10:35 PM
I remember The National sports daily paper, sort of a sports only USA Today. Frank DeFord was big behind that, it was a good paper.

cyclonesooner
12/17/2012, 01:21 AM
The old Athlon football mag with multiple pics of hot cheerleaders was pretty sweet.

kevpks
12/17/2012, 02:17 AM
Different sport, but I absolutely loved Baseball Weekly as a kid. Without cable, it and 30 minutes of This Week in Baseball were how I kept up with everything. It was a different world and I'm only 32!

Seamus
12/17/2012, 02:30 AM
I was a charter subscriber to the national. It ruled.

For the football mags, the best -- BY FAR -- was:

http://www.webstore.com/cache/cache_500_1_1_img_7909145_948076c6f27fc295bc2b5950 32ea19eajpg.gif

http://www.hoosfootball.com/images/1990_Don_Heinrich_resized.jpg

http://www.webstore.com/cache/cache_500_1_1_img_7908946_c37ebab803bc045b254594dc 46aef0cajpg.gif

70sooner
12/17/2012, 07:45 AM
dunno, but I was always partial the annual Playboy Pigskin Review, myself......

bluedogok
12/18/2012, 12:42 AM
dunno, but I was always partial the annual Playboy Pigskin Review, myself......
Penthouse always had their 20 Worst College Football Teams of which during my period at OU K-State was the usual #1.

lexsooner
12/18/2012, 07:15 AM
Penthouse always had their 20 Worst College Football Teams of which during my period at OU K-State was the usual #1.

Penthouse should have had an annual 20 Blurriest nude photos and fakest names of centerfolds edition. Yeah, funny how things change and programs like ksu and o$u have become good.

picasso
12/18/2012, 08:56 AM
Honcho Magazine always had it's top 20 best tight fit football pants issue.

It was a good one.

OUmillenium
12/24/2012, 09:45 AM
I always loved the preseason college basketball mags. This was a big deal to me starting in 87-88. My all time favorite group of Sooner basketballers had just graduated and I was very curious about the new Sooners. I have every S&S, Sporting News, SI, etc. preseason basketball mag from about 87-93.

They had great lists for HS top prospects and JR Col prospects. This was back in day before HS went straight to the NBA and 1 and done. So you could really follow recruiting then see where these guys went to college. Also, you could follow other college teams closely as their lineups turned over very little in comparison to modern day hoops.

Its not near as fun to follow the game nationally anymore. Fortunately, college football hasnt changed as much other than the scholarship limits. I still buy 1 or 2 college football mags - usually athlons or S&S. This year I did not as they offered very little info that you can't get off the int, +they are like $8 now. ugh

badger
12/24/2012, 11:06 AM

Let's ignore the mid-majors and do that, shall we? Of the six BCS conferences...

1. Colorado (1-11)
Baj's analysis: OMG THEY'RE SOOOO AWFUL! TRAITORS! DIE DIE DIE DIE

2. Kansas (1-11)
Baj's analysis: Just couldn't beat Texas, could you? That could have saved you from the embarrassment of being second-worst. Sh1tty ****ing effort, KU. I can't even look at you!

3. Boston College (2-10)
Baj's analysis: Now that they don't have their cancer survivor, there's not much good left to say about them. Hell, they couldn't even beat Domer for the rest of the country. Then again, neither could OU :(

4. Illinois (2-10)
Baj's analysis: Let's fire Ron Zook. Oh wait, you already did that. NO EXCUSES LEFT! You just SUCK.

5. Kentucky (2-10)
Baj's analysis: Well, at least you have basketball to fall back on... wait a sec... I am looking at the top 25 and not seeing "Kentucky." ...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

6. Auburn (3-9)
Baj's analysis: Florida Marlins thought it'd be worthwhile to give up everything for a championship too. And now they have a sh!tty team with a sh!tty brigh dolphin thing in their outfield to celebrate homeruns and fired their "I love Castro" manager. Derrrrrrp!

7. South Florida (3-9)
Baj's analysis: Jim Leavitt sure is a big meanie, isn't he? Good thing you hired nice-guy Skip Holtz! ... and now he's gone. And so is the rest of the Big East. Suckers.

8. Washington State (3-9)
Baj's analysis: You gain credibility for finishing strong against your in-state rival, but being the only team to lose to Colorado means you still suck.

9. Cal (3-9)
Baj's analysis: What did Tedford do to keep his job for so long? Seriously, we all wanna know.

10. Temple (4-7)
Baj's analysis: With a mascot like "Owls," they HAVE to suck. With a conference like "Big East," you KNOW that they suck.

11. Arkansas (4-8)
Baj's analysis: From the ULM Warhawks to almost the entire SEC... SMILE!

12. Maryland (4-8)
Baj's analysis: Your uniforms are bright and tacky and it's the only reason anyone talks about your football program.

13. Iowa (4-8)
Baj's analysis: Step one: Go to Orange Bowl (after OU gets the Rose Bowl bid HAHA). Step two: Get big contract that is too big to buyout ever. Step three: Never get close to winning the Big Ten ever again. Step four: PROFIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Virgina (4-8)
Baj's analysis: And here's to old Virginia where all is fine and gay (not gay!) and time to suck indefinitely at good ole U-V-A!

15. Indiana (4-8)
Baj's analysis: The fact that they were still a stone's throw from the Big Ten title game (thank you NCAA!) late in the season saves them from the embarrassment of being in the top 14 worst teams.

16. Missouri (5-7)
Baj's analysis: The importance of a bowl game to a football program is immeasurable. You get 15 additional practices, you get team bonding team at a vacation destination, and you get national TV time for recruits. And you gave that up to be in the SEC. Suckers.

17. Utah (5-7)
Baj's analysis: See Mizzou's analysis, except sub out "SEC" for "Pac 12." Suckers.

18. Wake Forest (5-7)
Baj's analysis: Out of all of the ACC teams the Big 12 could poach, one team is not getting any love from SF.com voters. It's because their football SUCKS and eff the sucky football schools.

19. UConn (5-7)
Baj's analysis: Oh give me a home where the big boys roam where the football powerhouses play. NO, you SUCK. NO Big Ten invite for you. NO ACC invite for you! NO Big 12 invite for you! YOU ARE STUCK IN THE BIG EAST!!!!!

20. Tennessee (5-7)
Baj's analysis: I have a GREAT idea that will endear me to fans! I'm going to wear ORANGE pants! Forget khakis, I'm wearing the same ORANGE pants that my team wears and I'm going to become legendary for it! Yes you are Doo-little, because you certainly aren't going to be remembered for coaching greatness.

badger
12/24/2012, 11:13 AM
Honcho Magazine always had it's top 20 best tight fit football pants issue.

It was a good one.

There are definitely some ugly pants out there, mostly whorn for having see-through white material, but ehhh, it's football. If anything, the jerseys have become tight fit now

lexsooner
12/24/2012, 12:02 PM
I always loved the preseason college basketball mags. This was a big deal to me starting in 87-88. My all time favorite group of Sooner basketballers had just graduated and I was very curious about the new Sooners. I have every S&S, Sporting News, SI, etc. preseason basketball mag from about 87-93.

They had great lists for HS top prospects and JR Col prospects. This was back in day before HS went straight to the NBA and 1 and done. So you could really follow recruiting then see where these guys went to college. Also, you could follow other college teams closely as their lineups turned over very little in comparison to modern day hoops.

Its not near as fun to follow the game nationally anymore. Fortunately, college football hasnt changed as much other than the scholarship limits. I still buy 1 or 2 college football mags - usually athlons or S&S. This year I did not as they offered very little info that you can't get off the int, +they are like $8 now. ugh

I bought one of those NBA preseason mags some twenty years ago and it is only memorable because of an article Bob Costas wrote about the old ABA. He told of the exploits of Movin Marvin Barnes, who was once late for a game and took a cab to the stadium and then ran inside and stiffed the cabbie who chased Marvin in and somehow got to the bench area and demanded his fare. Marvin's teammates and coaches had to pass the hat for the fare bc Marvin was broke. One time the team had a short flight which changed time zones and the arrival time preceded the departure. Barnes refused to go, stating "I ain't getting in no time machine which takes me back in time!"