PDA

View Full Version : When the Big East dissolves, who should Big 12 invite?

badger
12/13/2012, 01:54 PM
It's probably going to happen (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8742607/seven-catholic-schools-leaning-leaving-big-east-sources-say). Might as well discuss poaching possibilities!

Cincinnati:
Positives: Went undefeated in the regular season a few years ago but was left out of the BCS title game because it wasn't in the SEC. Played us a bit recently and has a pro stadium nearby so that people can call it "not a true road game" when criticizing us. Idiots.
Negatives: Ran "statue of liberty" play to thunderous boos at Owen Field. Lost coach to Notre Dame, then lost next coach to... was it Tennessee? Not quite a bear, not quite a cat, but mascot may be related to pedobear with that stache.

UConn

Location: Some sh!ttown name Storrs because they added a second one
Positives: Let us finally win the d@mn Fiesta Bowl. Would give Skeletor (Baylor womens basketball coach Kim Mulkey) mayhem in womens basketball. Might add to NCAA mens basketball tourney if they were only eligible to play in it, tee hee.
Negatives: Why the **** out on the east coast, nobody really wants them for a reason, beat us in the 2002 womens basketball national championship. Jerks.

South Florida
Location: Tampa, sometimes alternatively referred to as "Tampa Bay"
Positives: Lee Roy Selmon ties are good ties to have, is a really large school with a rabid fanbase despite being fairly new to the college football game.
Negatives: Fired Jim Leavitt, fired Skip Holtz, and probably firing you as you read this.

Any of those other tag-a-longs as they attempt to salvage their sh!tty conference
Temple, Boise State, San Diego State, Houston, SMU, Memphis, UCF, Tulane, East Carolina and Navy
Location: Point at any spot on the continental U.S map and you'll probably be correct
Positives: Do you want to add teams to your conference? How desperate are you?
Negatives: You just added them out of desperation, didn't you.

None of the above
Positives: We're too good for you Big East rejects!
Negatives: We might not be.

Vote anonymously for as many as you want.

Mac94
12/13/2012, 02:01 PM
None ... should target the football schools of the ACC and let the ACC rescue the Big East leftovers.

BBQ Man
12/13/2012, 02:04 PM
Bring in Cincy just to spite Tuberville!

SoonerMarkVA
12/13/2012, 03:57 PM
"Want" is too strong of a word. What wouldn't annoy me would be Cinci. UConn would be nice for bball, but that's not enough.

It's really down to us and the ACC. Either we die, or they do. Or they become truly basketball only, and we fill out with the football powers from that conference (FSU, UM, VT, Clemson, and maybe ND and someone else [assuming we eventually go to 16] if things get to that point).

Widescreen
12/13/2012, 04:11 PM
My thoughts exactly. I fact I kind of wish something would happen where they get invited to the Big 12 right now. Just to irritate Tuberville.

BoomerJ
12/13/2012, 06:19 PM
Could you image Cincy @ Lubbock? Those people are crazy anyway.

SoonerMom2
12/13/2012, 11:37 PM
None ... should target the football schools of the ACC and let the ACC rescue the Big East leftovers.

I second that! Cincy can go along with Louisville to the ACC! No way with CT after being around their fans at the Fiesta Bowl -- they definitely would not fit in our Conference.

8timechamps
12/14/2012, 12:04 AM
"Want" is too strong of a word. What wouldn't annoy me would be Cinci. UConn would be nice for bball, but that's not enough.

It's really down to us and the ACC. Either we die, or they do. Or they become truly basketball only, and we fill out with the football powers from that conference (FSU, UM, VT, Clemson, and maybe ND and someone else [assuming we eventually go to 16] if things get to that point).

This!

I don't 'want' any of those left-over Big Least teams, but if the Big XII decided to take one, Cincy would be the best of the worst.

badger
12/14/2012, 09:20 AM
You guys FINALLY surprised me with a poll response. With all of the panic over OMG GOTTA GET BACK TO TWELVE i thought most of you would be open or actually want one of the football/basketball members.

The three leftovers aren't going to totally suck if they're in the Big 12. However, they're not good adds like WVU and TCU were. I think if our 5 big boy conferences are going to control college football anyway, maybe we should do away with the current conference makeup, have a 5 big boy conference alignment and just have the regional matchups happen every year across the current conference alignments...

...but since we know that's never going to happen...

1- Drag Nebraska back kicking and screaming.
2- Continue to say **** colorado
3- Ask WVU who they want as a regional rival and invite them

winout
12/14/2012, 10:04 AM
so fla, clemson, fsu, fla atlantic. south is where it is at.

badger
12/14/2012, 10:27 AM
If this board is dead enough later today, I'll do an ACC poaching poll

OUInformant
12/14/2012, 10:31 AM
I don't like any of those schools. Cincy and S. Florida would be decent for recruiting purposes. I would target FSU. Anyone else we get would be a bonus. FSU and Clemson would be an amazing duo. Clemson is a perennial Top 25 team and they are in a good recruiting area. Obviously, I would love ND, but they will never join a conference.

ouleaf
12/14/2012, 10:56 AM

Invite Cincy, but don't tell Tuberville about it until the schedule makers put the first game of the season in Lubbock.

I think given the situation that just went down, Big XII would avoid bringing on Cincy just because of the Tuberville/Tech relationship. Would just be more bad press for the schools and the conference.

badger
12/14/2012, 11:06 AM
Invite Cincy, but don't tell Tuberville about it until the schedule makers put the first game of the season in Lubbock.

I think given the situation that just went down, Big XII would avoid bringing on Cincy just because of the Tuberville/Tech relationship. Would just be more bad press for the schools and the conference.

Big East: Anyways, we just wanted to say how much we want you and Cincy to be in our conferenece, which is why we took you out to dinner.

Tommy Tubby: Whew! Because I was afraid you were going to dissolve after those Catholic school issues. You aren't, are you?

Big East: I am looking you in the eye. I am talking straght to you right now. I promise you, I give you my word, that Cincy and the Big East are going to survive this and neither of us are going anywhere... Excuse me while I go to the bathroom.

Tommy Tubby: Oh...kay...

Cincy: Excuse me too!

Tommy: Um... all right...

(a LOT of time passes... then, two figures approach the dinner table)

Big 12: Hello, Tommy.

Tommy: !

Texas Tech: Hello, Satan.

Tommy: !!

Tech: You're coming with us. You and your football team.

Tommy: CINCY!!!! BIG EAST!!! HELP!

Big 12: The Big East called us to say they were dissolving while they "went to the bathroom," fool. So, the court ruled that we have sole custodial parenting over your precious Cincy.

Tech: And we pwn you again.

Tommy: (flaps giant ears frantically in an effort to fly away)

Tech: ...looking for this? (holds up Dumbo's magic feather)

Big 12: Awwww, doesn't it suck that Lubbock is so windy?

Tommy: Help! SEC! Auburn! Anybody!

Gene Chizik: Don't bother, man. They fire undefeated season coaches, remember?

MichiganSooner
12/14/2012, 04:33 PM
I used to live near Cincinnati. Went to one basketball game with Virginia Tech in 3 years back in 1970's. Not a big fanbase. Only average coverage of the local college teams by the Cincinnati press. People across Ohio do not cheer for Cincinnati except for the Reds, Bengals. Most people in the Cincinnati area pay close attention to Ohio State or Kentucky. Smaller numbers are for Miami of O, Xavier, Dayton, and Cincinnati. The Reds are big time competition for the sports dollar; the Bengals to a lesser degree. The Bearcats have had some success in the 2000's in basketball and football. But you have to drop back to the Oscar Robertson days in early 1960's for any real excitement for college sports from Cincinnati.
I would try to pick up teams from the ACC instead. Florida State and Clemson would be bombshell additions to the Big 12.