PDA

View Full Version : So I guess Kliff Kingsbury is the new HC at Tech.

SoonerStormchaser
12/12/2012, 07:21 PM
I remember when he beat Texass in 2002 and came into Norman as a Heisman hopeful and thought he could win the Big XII south.

60-15 us!

8timechamps
12/12/2012, 07:22 PM
Tech is taking a big risk. Wonder if A&M will be hurt by the loss of Kingsbury.

VA Sooner
12/12/2012, 08:26 PM
I suspect that may hurt A&M a little... but Manziel seems to improvise well enough. Getting through the huge linemen to get to him will be a challenge, especially both of their OT's being NFL material already.

Keep him contained, play the LB as a QB spy and make him through to our secondary. (Seems simple enough, ehh? Years of arm-chair quarterbacking...)

Jacie
12/12/2012, 08:40 PM
Did the student learn from the master? Will Kliffie be the second coming of Mike Leach?

VA Sooner
12/12/2012, 10:14 PM
Speaking of which... Mike Leach was exonerated of any wrong-doing at Wash State. Wonder if the Raiders' AD and President are kicking themselves for giving Leach the Boot and siding with a crooked RB from SMU and his son.

StoopTroup
12/12/2012, 10:41 PM
I remember when we sacked him in the EZ and bounced his head off the FG Uprights.

SoonerInLubbock
12/12/2012, 10:49 PM
The tech fans all seem to be happy about this move. There were a lot of Tuberville haters in Lubbock. During his weekly radio show, he would usually get a few "tubs leave Lubbock" calls. This whole thing has been entertaining for an outsider looking in. Just glad we have our staff.

EatLeadCommie
12/12/2012, 11:29 PM
Potentially great hire in that he is young, an alumnus, and presumably has a good offensive mind. He could be there for a long time. At the very least, he has good experience under Leach and Sumlin. If I'm Tech, I like this hire better than the last yokel they brought to town.

goingoneight
12/13/2012, 12:09 AM
The tech fans all seem to be happy about this move. There were a lot of Tuberville haters in Lubbock. During his weekly radio show, he would usually get a few "tubs leave Lubbock" calls. This whole thing has been entertaining for an outsider looking in. Just glad we have our staff.

That's why Stoops quit taking live callers. About 95% idiots or Aggies (redundant?) trying to irritate him or spew their "fire everybody" hatred more than actually asking questions.

badger
12/13/2012, 09:09 AM
I'M A MAN I'M 33! (no joke, he's only 33)

He was QB at Tech the same time Major was at Texas and Josh was at OU. Wonder if either are jeally that Kliff is already a head coach at his alma mater and they're still o-coordinators.

Soonerjeepman
12/13/2012, 09:26 AM
being the HC at TT (his alma) vs Josh being HC at OU (his alma) are 2 totally different jobs...doubt Josh has any jealousy...

badger
12/13/2012, 09:34 AM
being the HC at TT (his alma) vs Josh being HC at OU (his alma) are 2 totally different jobs...doubt Josh has any jealousy...

i know... but is being head coach somewhere, especially in the Big 12, better than being just a coordinator, even at top programs like OU and UT?

After all, Mike Leach left OU's offensive coordinator job to be head coach at Tech and other coordinators at OU and UT left their jobs to be Big 12 head coaches, from infamous Gene Chizik (Iowa State) to Mark Mangino (Kansas).

70sooner
12/13/2012, 09:49 AM
saw this on another board and if true, just shows how classless Tommy T really is.....

Tuberville leaves three recruits in the middle of dinner, never to return....

A community college offensive lineman being recruited by Texas Tech got a close view of head coach Tommy Tuberville's hasty departure over the weekend.

Tommy Tuberville unexpectedly bolted from Texas Tech and accepted the head coaching job at Cincinnati on Saturday.

Devonte Danzey of Hutchinson (Kansas) C.C. arrived in Lubbock for his official visit.

Shortly after arriving in Lubbock, Danzey and at least two other recruits ? lineman Sunny Odogwu and receiver Javess Blue ? along with "eight to 10" coaches, including Tuberville, all went to dinner at the 50-Yard Line Restaurant on South Loop 289, Danzey said.

In the midst of the conversation at the table, he asked the coaches how long they expected to be at Tech (if they were not fired), he said.

"I asked Coach (Charlie) Weis at KU and Coach (Dana) Holgorsen at West Virginia (the same question), just so I know my relationship with them," Danzey said. "(Tuberville) was just telling me he coached at Miami and Auburn, he coached 10 years and recruited Ray Lewis and kind of blew the question off I didn't even realize."

He added: "The waitress brought our food out, and we thought (Tuberville) went to the bathroom, but he never came back to dinner. Then next thing I know, the next day, he made an announcement that he's going to Cincinnati."

Texas Tech athletics spokesman Blayne Beal confirmed Tech coaches did take players to dinner that night, which he said is a common occurrence on visits by recruits, but was unaware of any incidents that happened at dinner.

The next morning the recruits were scheduled to take a tour of the campus, but Tuberville did not show up for it, Danzey said. That's when offensive line coach Chris Thomsen, who was named interim head coach Monday, came back to the group and broke the news Tuberville had been named the new head coach at Cincinnati.

The tour was "around 11 a.m." or "about 30 minutes before the news broke," Danzey said.

The 6-foot-3, 303-pound offensive lineman did not let Tuberville's departure ruin his visit.

"Everybody was going crazy," Danzey said. "The players were shocked, too. We still had a good time at night, but it was crazy how he just got up and left out of nowhere and left people in the dark and in the shadow."

Before Saturday's turn of events, Danzey was considering the Red Raiders because of the chance he would have to compete for the starting center spot.

"I don't know right now because they don't know if their coaching staff and Coach Thomsen will still be there," Danzey. "I had a good relationship with him and there was a good chance Texas Tech was going to be my school. They are basically starting from scratch again and they may bring in a new staff that I don't get along with, or that may not like my style of play."

The three-star offensive lineman said he is now considering Baylor, West Virginia, Kansas, Auburn and Washington State.

"I'll make a decision probably Christmas day," Danzey said. "I got to get a feel for them for a while. I know I'm not going to sign on the 19th, I will just be getting back from my last visit."

Danzey said he averaged "about seven or eight pancakes a game" this season.

With the right hire, Danzey said the Red Raiders would still be an option for him.

"If they decide they want me still," Danzey said. "They may go with the players they have or go with a skill guy and change up their scholarships. It depends if they're still in need of an offensive lineman."

badger
12/13/2012, 09:52 AM
The three-star offensive lineman said he is now considering Baylor, West Virginia, Kansas, Auburn and Washington State.

Amazing the foothold Mikey still has in this area of the country

Mac94
12/13/2012, 01:47 PM
Hmmm ... after one season in 1999 OU's hotshot OC left the Sooners to becoem Tech's head coach ... next year OU won the MNC!!!! ;)

Wonder what Mangino is doing these days? ;)

Salt City Sooner
12/13/2012, 06:02 PM
MM was in town a few weeks ago; his kid is the OC here for the Dragons.

8timechamps
12/13/2012, 08:46 PM
Hmmm ... after one season in 1999 OU's hotshot OC left the Sooners to becoem Tech's head coach ... next year OU won the MNC!!!! ;)

Wonder what Mangino is doing these days? ;)

I would be surprised if he didn't pop up on the Kentucky staff at some point.

Salt City Sooner
12/14/2012, 06:14 AM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1342615/Tubs_Escapes_medium.gif

ouleaf
12/14/2012, 11:02 AM
Tech fans need a hire like this after the last few years (Leach, Gillespie, and Tuberville). While Kliff is very young for a HC, he will be an instant fan favorite returning to the alma mater. Also knows their system better than anybody. Just wondering how well he'll be able to recruit is all.

BigTip
12/14/2012, 04:18 PM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1342615/Tubs_Escapes_medium.gif

Ya know...the country, and the world, are going to hell in a hand basket on the rapid express. I read the news sometimes, and I just shake my head the whole time. I watch the news on TV and come away totally depressed. So discouraging.

But then I see something like this. It lifts my spirits immeasurably to know that there are Americans out there clever enough to come up with this stuff. It gives me hope that there might be a chance for America yet.