PDA

View Full Version : New NBC gameshot "Take It All"

badger
12/12/2012, 03:18 PM
I heard that the ratings were good on this the first night (Monday) so I gave it a chance last night.

So after nearly an hour of amassing weird prizes like a ruby ring, a floating BBQ hut, the final contestants won...

BG4Wdfsqq7M

That's right, they won NOTHING.

It's basically the little greed test at the end, and both chose the greed option... and so, they both lost.

It is interesting to see them try to con each other into believing that they'll share the prize, only to try to stab each other in the back instead.

Ah, prisoner's dilemma. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner%27s_dilemma) Like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, it's sometimes fun to see the bratty children get their comeuppance... but really, it wasn't worth an hour-long show. The earlier rounds are like watching a live "Dirty Santa" game, where everyone steals the good gifts for themselves while all their family and friends curse and cry.

8timechamps
12/12/2012, 04:16 PM
I might have to check this out next time it's on. That looks better than I thought it would...interesting take on trusting someone you really don't know.

reflector
12/12/2012, 04:45 PM
The show seems to be a complete ripoff of a show that used to be on the Game Show Network called Friend or Foe. I hope the original concept people are at least being compensated.

badger
12/12/2012, 05:36 PM
I used to watch friend or foe. Here's how that show worked in a nutshell:

1- Teams of two answer trivia
2- Then they decide to split the money or try to take it all for themselves in the prisoner's dilemma-type decison

This show is reportedly more like a few foreign screwjob gameshows. The only relation to friend or foe is the prisoner's dilemma decision.

Here's more details if you're curious:

Round 1: Five contestants, five prizes
1- Contestants come out one at a time and decide whether to take a mystery box (the first has to), or steal what another contestant has.
2- If your prize is stolen, you can either steal another contestant's prize (but no steal-backs) or choose a mystery box (if available)
3- If the first contestant has not had the opportunity to steal another's prize yet (by getting his/her prize stolen) they are given that option at the end of the round.
4- The contestant with the least-expensive prize (in this show, it was a Vespa scooter) goes home empty-handed.

Note: Each contestant gets one "lock" to veto having their prize getting stolen in a round. Once they use this "lock" in any round, they cannot use it in another.

Round two: Four contestants
Round three: Three contestants
Round four: Final round (I think they called it something like the "prize fight" or something)
1- The two remaining contestants first draw for an unknown amount of prize money to add to any prizes they accumulated in previous rounds (I think it was $25k to $250k)
2- Each contestant then tries to explain to the other why they will not backstab them (see the video I attached above)
3- Each contestant then secretly decides to "take mine" (take what they've received up to that point, including an unknown amount of cash) or "take it all" (try to backstab the other and take everything)
4- They'll either share (both "take mine"), one will get everything (one chooses "take it all," other chooses "take mine") or nobody gets anything (both choose "take it all").

Apparently on the first show, someone took it all, but with the one I saw last night, nobody got anything.

Some of the prizes were pretty ridiculous. I think one was a two-year supply of steaks, another was a Mercedes that was the least-expensive in that round (and of course someone stole to get it) and there were also bumper cars of some sort.

I don't think this show will last as a regular series, much for the same reason that deal or no deal didn't... there's no twist, there's no trivia, it's repetitive.

I'd like to see them introduce some twists to reward being nice

1- Bonus cash for not stealing another contestant's prize in a round/the entire game
2- Bonus cash for not using the "lock" in a round/game
3- Bonus cash for surviving two "prize fight" rounds, where they do an initial round of both choosing "take mine," then given a chance to earn more cash for making that decision a second time (because the temptation would be too great a second time around with more cash on the line, as would the temptation be too great to choose "mine" if you know the other guy wants to try to go for the second round)

GDC
12/12/2012, 05:49 PM
Killer Karaoke. Best gameshow ever.

Mao7lRVMgKc

Jacie
12/12/2012, 08:59 PM
Hoisted on their own petard.