PDA

View Full Version : Best Heisman winner: 2001-2011

badger
12/12/2012, 01:33 PM
Let's give Johnny Football a break and look at the other Heisman winners of recent years, since OU faced many (or had a few ourselves) during this time.

Try to remove your crimson glasses if you can when you vote. Who was the best?

Use whatever reason you want - best in the NFL, best in college, most inspiring, best role model for kiddos, best story, etc.

SoonerMom2
12/12/2012, 01:41 PM
Sam Bradford -- class act on and off the field -- a real leader.

yermom
12/12/2012, 02:17 PM
as it may be unpopular, and looking at the whole season, including the bowl game, i'd say Cam Newton. best season money could buy. just look where they are now...

also unpopular, but Vince Young should have won in 2005, for multiple reasons looking back, and would also be in the discussion.

Leinart can suck it and Carson Palmer probably had to do the least to get there. tOSU's punter probably could have made a case after the season was over in 2002.

my favorite story is probably still Jason White though. coming back from both ACls and completely evolving in the process, winning the Heisman and taking us to 2 national championship games

deweydw
12/12/2012, 02:28 PM
my favorite story is probably still Jason White though. coming back from both ACls and completely evolving in the process, winning the Heisman and taking us to 2 national championship games

This^^^

goingoneight
12/12/2012, 03:17 PM
If we're going best to not win it, AD is the best CFB player in the last decade and Suh is up there as well. As for this pole, I'm gonna go with Sam. His team coming up short sells SB14 short. The guy was a flawless college QB. "oh, he didn't run..." he didn't have to. He could throw a football through a cheerio at 50 paces and a blitz in his face.

yermom
12/12/2012, 03:22 PM
he didn't exactly light up that SEC defense. things would have been different with DeMarco in that game though

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/12/2012, 04:00 PM
I was torn between Sam and Griffin, but went with RGIII. If he can keep from getting srsly hurt, he might be the best ever?

MI Sooner
12/12/2012, 05:17 PM
If we're going best to not win it, AD is the best CFB player in the last decade and Suh is up there as well. As for this pole, I'm gonna go with Sam. His team coming up short sells SB14 short. The guy was a flawless college QB. "oh, he didn't run..." he didn't have to. He could throw a football through a cheerio at 50 paces and a blitz in his face.

Adrian Peterson looks much better in hindsight, due to his NFL career. He played behind a great line in 2004 against defenses that had to respect the pass and put up very good, but not amazing, rushing stats. He was a non-factor as a receiver out of the backfield.

I'm also not so sure Vince Young deserved the Heisman in 2005, even though he would have in most other years that decade. If USC converts that 4th down, I think there are a lot fewer people arguing for Young in hindsight.

If you're just looking at their Heisman seasons, I'd rank them:

Newton
Bush
Tebow
Bradford
Griffin III
White
Leinart
Palmer
Ingram
Crouch
Smith

I struggle the most with where to put Griffin III since his team was the worst, by a large margin, and he probably faced the weakest defenses by a wide margin too.

I guess I forgot that Tebow's team wasn't that good the year he won his Heisman, too.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/12/2012, 05:21 PM
Leinart...

goingoneight
12/12/2012, 06:09 PM
he didn't exactly light up that SEC defense. things would have been different with DeMarco in that game though

Statistically, it was a decent night. Take a peek at the YouTube video "Sam Bradford vs Florida." Sam's only problem that night was dropped passes. Johnson and Iglesias should take the heat for the two INTs. If you see the video, you'll see what I'm talking about. And yes, DM7 completely changes the gameplan by UF. CB29 and Zmadu were nowhere near the threat DM was.

StoopTroup
12/12/2012, 06:21 PM
I can't put RGIII on my list as he was the Leader of a one man band.