PDA

View Full Version : Maybe there is a war on Christmas

kevpks
12/11/2012, 12:46 PM
I'm usually skeptical when I here that phrase. To me, someone saying Happy Holidays or saying Winter Break instead of Christmas break are not a big deal. However, then I see lame articles like this one that try to shame Christians for celebrating their most holy day how they see fit.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/12/10/1311041/infographic-homelessness-christmas-decorations/

Articles like this are why I could never be a democrat no matter how frustrated I get with the GOP. First, the idea that you can end homelessness is idiotic. It's a complex social problem that requires more than money. Second, why are liberals so concerned about how individuals spend their money? Personally, I'd rather see the joy on my kid's face while hanging up lights than give money to some guy on the street. I give money to a goverment and church to help meet the homeless guy's needs. I won't be shamed into giving more because I want to celebrate a holiday that has deep significance to me.

Soonerjeepman
12/11/2012, 01:08 PM
Agreed, and to me the MOST disgusting fact (about the dems/libs) is they spout off about "everyone has a right to believe, say, do what they want"..except if it something that offends them. Well, what about your (dems/libs) activities that offend ME...?...can't have it both ways. Just waiting for the ACLU to sue itself.

I call it CHRISTMAS, if you don't fine, but don't expect ME to change.

yermom
12/11/2012, 01:16 PM
i had no idea those pagan eyesores were so expensive

pphilfran
12/11/2012, 01:19 PM
i had no idea those pagan eyesores were so expensive

Exhibit A

diverdog
12/11/2012, 01:32 PM
I'm usually skeptical when I here that phrase. To me, someone saying Happy Holidays or saying Winter Break instead of Christmas break are not a big deal. However, then I see lame articles like this one that try to shame Christians for celebrating their most holy day how they see fit.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/12/10/1311041/infographic-homelessness-christmas-decorations/

Articles like this are why I could never be a democrat no matter how frustrated I get with the GOP. First, the idea that you can end homelessness is idiotic. It's a complex social problem that requires more than money. Second, why are liberals so concerned about how individuals spend their money? Personally, I'd rather see the joy on my kid's face while hanging up lights than give money to some guy on the street. I give money to a goverment and church to help meet the homeless guy's needs. I won't be shamed into giving more because I want to celebrate a holiday that has deep significance to me.

It is just a graphic. I don't think they are suggesting giving up on buying Christmas ornents. I think you read too much into the article.

yermom
12/11/2012, 01:33 PM
http://www.history.com/topics/history-of-christmas-trees

sounds like some people forgot "the reason of the season"

get well, Sun God

KantoSooner
12/11/2012, 01:50 PM
I dunno, "Happy Saturnalia to all and to all a 'Goodnight!'" just doesn't have the same ring to it. (Mind you, a massive three day public orgy would be one way to break up the winter doldrums that beats hell out of eggnog.)

Merry Christmas to ALL!

And a Happy Hanukka, a joyous Kwanza, Season's Greetings, Akema****e Omedetou Gozaimasu rainen mo yoroshiku ongegaishimasu, Peace Out.

Too good a time of year to waste on rancor.

Tip: If you don't have one in your household, find a little kid and spend some time with them. NOBODY enjoys Christmas more than little kids.

kevpks
12/11/2012, 02:23 PM
It is just a graphic. I don't think they are suggesting giving up on buying Christmas ornents. I think you read too much into the article.

"We Could End Homelessness With The Money Americans Spend On Christmas Decorations" That is the headline. It's deliberately guilt tripping people who spend money on Christmas. Why bring Christmas into it? It is a lame tactic.

yermom
12/11/2012, 02:26 PM
at least you have your priorities straight :)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/11/2012, 02:26 PM
"We Could End Homelessness With The Money Americans Spend On Christmas Decorations" That is the headline. It's deliberately guilt tripping people who spend money on Christmas. Why bring Christmas into it? It is a lame tactic.American guilt trips is what they do...it WORKS!

American culture is under assault on many fronts, especially Christianity, Capitalism and the Constitution. Judaism is attacked in a bit more clandestine fashion than Christianity.

kevpks
12/11/2012, 02:28 PM
at least you have your priorities straight :)

Yes: Work hard, take care of my family, enjoy spending time with my family and sharing Christmas with them. It's been working so far.

yermom
12/11/2012, 02:34 PM
you left out "make retailers rich" perpetuate "continue sham of holiday"

all while not loving thy neighbor. WWJD?

pphilfran
12/11/2012, 02:38 PM
We could probably eliminate the homeless with the money Americans spend on iPhone apps...

KantoSooner
12/11/2012, 02:40 PM
I prefer to ask, WWGD? (What Would Genghiz Do?)

Not quite as friendly as yours but it makes for a far more entertaining set of options.

kevpks
12/11/2012, 02:40 PM

You forgot that you know nothing about me, how much money I spend or don't spend on Christmas, or that for a Christian, Christmas is not a "sham of a holiday" but a deeply significant spiritual event worthy of celebration, reflection, and prayer. Just continue your bigotry. It seems to be working for you.

yermom
12/11/2012, 03:03 PM
happy Saturnalia to you to, sir

Mississippi Sooner
12/11/2012, 03:06 PM
I prefer to ask, WWGD? (What Would Genghiz Do?)

Not quite as friendly as yours but it makes for a far more entertaining set of options.

WWBD. Yeah, I always look at it from the Bacchus point of view.

cleller
12/11/2012, 03:17 PM
If we took that decoration money, and put it toward this idea of ending homelessness, how long would it last?

The idea that you could put a dollar amount on a way to end the problem of the homeless is one the more unbelievable stories I've seen lately.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/11/2012, 03:21 PM
Ending homelessness would be good. I'm sick of stepping over that homeless guy every day when I come into work.

And the Christmas display on my McMansion rawks!

yermom
12/11/2012, 03:24 PM
i'd be happy if it just got rid of the bellringers.

imagine a world with no bellringers. now THAT would be a Merry Christmas

stoops the eternal pimp
12/11/2012, 03:47 PM
As a Follower of Christ, i don't understand the big issue with how people celebrate Dec 25, Christ's birthday, or whatever..

1. It's not corporate America's job to spread the gospel.
2. I saw a "Christian" being rude and embarassing to a local retail employ who said "Happy Holidays." People don't take Christ out of something with words, their actions do.
3. If Jesus does care about what people do with his birthday, I think the first thing that would make him mad is it's celebrated 6-7 months late every year...that would **** me off.

if you want December 25th to be a holy day to you? That's fine..And if you don't that's fine..God is good with it either way.

okie52
12/11/2012, 03:52 PM

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af24/okie54/festivuspole-1.jpg

Festivus Pole

Turd_Ferguson
12/11/2012, 04:00 PM
Yermom drives a Civic with a fart can on it...just say'n :biggrin:

Turd_Ferguson
12/11/2012, 04:02 PM
As a Follower of Christ, i don't understand the big issue with how people celebrate Dec 25, Christ's birthday, or whatever..

1. It's not corporate America's job to spread the gospel.
2. I saw a "Christian" being rude and embarassing to a local retail employ who said "Happy Holidays." People don't take Christ out of something with words, their actions do.
3. If Jesus does care about what people do with his birthday, I think the first thing that would make him mad is it's celebrated 6-7 months late every year...that would **** me off.

if you want December 25th to be a holy day to you? That's fine..And if you don't that's fine..God is good with it either way.

Wurd.

yermom
12/11/2012, 04:04 PM
:mad:

Mississippi Sooner
12/11/2012, 04:34 PM
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af24/okie54/festivuspole-1.jpg

Festivus Pole

I'm not much on the feats of strength, but boy, I can air me some grievances.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/11/2012, 04:46 PM
I aired some grievances after I left LJS today for lunch

Mississippi Sooner
12/11/2012, 04:51 PM
I aired some grievances after I left LJS today for lunch

Twice in a month's time? You like living on the edge.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/11/2012, 04:59 PM
Yeah, while I was ordering, my mind was all like, "Do you want to spend the rest of the evening on the pooper?"...and the answer to that was YUP.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/11/2012, 05:01 PM
Maybe the War on Christmas is too unpleasant a subject here for some participants.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/11/2012, 05:07 PM
Yermom drives a Civic with a fart can on it...just say'n :biggrin:

I thought yermom drove a subaru

Turd_Ferguson
12/11/2012, 05:28 PM
I thought yermom drove a subaru

Subaru Shmubaru...

yermom
12/11/2012, 06:03 PM
you wouldn't say that if you rode in it :D

olevetonahill
12/11/2012, 06:26 PM
Ill celebrate the Birth of My God any dayum way I chose

Preferably with some mushrooms and garlic bread

http://www.talkparanormal.com/images/use/flying_spaghetti_monster.jpg

soonercruiser
12/11/2012, 10:26 PM

Look at JK's post on "Liberal Logic"!
The premise of the article only applies when conservatives contribute to charity.
The libs couldn't pay for too many meals for the homeless with contributions from Libs or Democrats!
The statistics prove this to be an accurate statement!
HYPOCRITS!

LiveLaughLove
12/12/2012, 12:22 AM
There's a war on Christ.

The mas thing is just extra.

badger
12/12/2012, 09:27 AM
Meh, vote with your money. If a store bans employees from saying "Merry Christmas," don't shop there.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/12/2012, 10:54 AM
I love to say "Happy Holidays" at church and see the warm reactions I get.