PDA

View Full Version : I hate Comcast...alternatives?

SunnySooner
12/11/2012, 12:22 PM
When we moved back to the DC area, we lost our Uverse, not available here. Comcast has an iron-grip monopoly on the place. It's ridiculously expensive, and the service is crap.

So, I'm hoping for ideas on something else. Yes, we could do Direct TV, but the whole satellite thing makes me nervous. Too many horror stories, I guess, and my own experiences with it (at rental places, friends' houses, etc.) has been less than favorable. It may end up being better than Comcast, but I'm hoping there's a different way.

I know Netflix has come a long way--streaming, etc. I was thinking about a combo of VERY basic cable with Netflix for the wide selection of shows.
IDK how it works exactly, though--I need an xbox or a wii, right? We have both of those, but would we need one for every TV?

Does it get pricey when you get it that way? I've tried to figure it based on their info, but you know how that is, all promo pricing, etc. I wonder what the "real world" bill ends up being after you've had it for awhile.

Any other services/ideas/suggestions out there that y'all would recommend? Is the Direct TV thing better than I think it is? How much does it end up being, if you have HD, lots of channels, maybe HBO and Showtime, etc.? Is it a pain to install, does the customer service suck?

I would greatly appreciate your experiences or opinions, I'm just about ready to shoot the damn Comcast box. It would probably work better if I did. Thanks!!!!!!

olevetonahill
12/11/2012, 12:28 PM
I have Direct works OK but then I just watch Football Been costing around 75 a month with all the Fox sports channels No Premiums,

Ima turn it off after the Bowls cause I just dont watch TeeVee.

yermom
12/11/2012, 01:54 PM
yeah, you need something to play Netflix, etc... on each TV, unless it's a TV with that functionality

there are lots of devices in the sub-$100 range that will do it

i cut the cord and stream things, but you still have to deal with Comcast for internet, don't you? can you get speakeasy or anything out there?

the only thing i miss is live sports in HD, like olevet said. but i don't think i'd deal with DirectTV after getting exposed to their sales process. introductory offers just **** me off.

SunnySooner
12/12/2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks y'all. I was hoping someone would have some great solution, but it looks like there are no easy answers. And yes, mom, I'd still have to have Comcast internet, which is like $65/month if you don't have TV. It used to be $45, isn't this crap supposed to get CHEAPER as technology advances? WTH? Ugh, I hate it all, I hate when there's no competition, it's totally unfair to consumers, IDK how they get away with it.

Mississippi Sooner
12/12/2012, 11:47 AM
In honor of Sunny's new sig:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LJBB65r-9o

soonerinabilene
12/12/2012, 12:31 PM
http://www.rcn.com/dc-metro/digital-cable-tv

Is this not available in your area?

BajaOklahoma
12/12/2012, 06:18 PM
We have Dish at the lake, with a Smart TV. We've got the 120 channel package for 25/mo for the first year, then up to 50/mo. We have Netflix through the TV - not a bad choice for 8/mo. And we have an "HD" antenna for local channels when the weather is bad.
We had Comcast years ago, but they traded areas with Time-Warner. They are about equal.

bluedogok
12/12/2012, 11:35 PM
I've had Directv since 1998, in OKC, Austin and here in Denver, wouldn't go back to cable. Reception issues are usually a signal that the dish needs to be aligned, never really had much of an issue with signals, not even the snow here in Denver, heavy rain in Austin was worse until we had the dish relocated for a re-roof. Our rate goes up/down according to what packages are billing that month, we have NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings. I dropped NHL Center Ice after moving to Denver, then the NHL has dropped the season. I have Comcast for internet and hated my friends Comcast while I stayed at his condo before we moved everything up here.

SunnySooner
12/14/2012, 03:32 PM
http://www.rcn.com/dc-metro/digital-cable-tv

Is this not available in your area?

Nope, but thanks! We're in Maryland 'burbs, looks like they serve mainly the District.

SunnySooner
12/14/2012, 03:33 PM
Hmm, thanks Bluedog, maybe I'll investigate a little more.

Flagstaffsooner
12/15/2012, 11:43 AM
heh
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/184swdihxgrn9jpg/original.jpg

BudSooner
12/15/2012, 06:50 PM
I think you can get a Roku at Walmart for around $45, or for that matter there are alot of Blu-Ray players that have the Netflix app on them, you can use 1 account for multiple devices(Xbox/BluRay/Iphone/PS3/etc)but if you use this on multiple tv's just make sure that you have an internet connection that is capable of sustaining the connections.
I would suggest at least a 20mbps connection as that will allow 4 tv's to have a good connection speed, Netflix suggests at minimum of 3mbps net speed.

If you have multiple Apple devices in the home such as Ipads/laptops/Iphones then I would get Apple TV which is like the Roku but has access to the Itunes store, has Netflix/HuluPlus and lists for $99.