PDA

View Full Version : RB Thomas decommits

VA Sooner
12/11/2012, 07:30 AM
What's the skinny on this young man... is he a big loss for us?

http://espn.go.com/blog/colleges/oklahoma/post?id=17021

Haven't heard much about him so just wondering. The stable is still full so perhaps that's the "not a right fit for me" issue.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/11/2012, 08:48 AM
He probably doesn't want to wait until his junior or senior year to see the field due to Alex Ross followed by Keith Ford.

oudanny
12/11/2012, 09:50 AM
According to the Tulsa World, he just wants to go through the whole recruiting process, see what his options are. He is just a junior. It is understandable.

goingoneight
12/11/2012, 10:43 AM
So much about recruiting should be illegal IMO. Recruiting freshmen, sophomores and juniors I think should be prohibited by NCAA rules. JMO.

I also think coaches should not be able to interview for jobs until after the bowl season. OT, I know...

rock on sooner
12/11/2012, 10:47 AM
He probably doesn't want to wait until his junior or senior year to see the field due to Alex Ross followed by Keith Ford.

^^^^^^This^^^^^ Just like the kid that went to the Domers...

rock on sooner
12/11/2012, 10:49 AM
So much about recruiting should be illegal IMO. Recruiting freshmen, sophomores and juniors I think should be prohibited by NCAA rules. JMO.

I also think coaches should not be able to interview for jobs until after the bowl season. OT, I know...

As long as the AD's are under pressure to win NOW and FOREVER, that's
the way it'll be...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/11/2012, 01:18 PM
...I also think coaches should not be able to interview for jobs until after the bowl season. OT, I know...it would be good enough for me to just (somehow)stop the coaches who accept new jobs with new teams from announcing their job acceptance until after the bowl game their team plays.

OkieThunderLion
12/11/2012, 04:06 PM
OU pulled his offer.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/11/2012, 04:09 PM
OU pulled his offer.Know this for a fact?

yermom
12/11/2012, 04:10 PM
good, give an extra to some kickass DT somewhere

you can give two to one player right? :D

yermom
12/11/2012, 04:20 PM
OU pulled his offer.

i'm assuming you mean after, not before

Widescreen
12/11/2012, 05:21 PM
Hard to get too worked up over a de-commit for 2014. I'm concerned with 2013 right now.

toast
12/11/2012, 05:27 PM
Hard to get too worked up over a de-commit for 2014. I'm concerned with 2013 right now.

exactly

MichiganSooner
12/11/2012, 05:53 PM
Haven't seen him play. He is a year away yet. Probably heard he can meet a bunch of pretty girls, go to some big parties, maybe get a nice car, and have a real blast if he visits all campuses.

Scott D
12/11/2012, 06:05 PM
who the hell gets upset over a 2014 commit?

who is going to start the thread about some kid who isn't eligible until 2021 decommitting. Somewhere that elementary school kid is playing peewee ball.

8timechamps
12/11/2012, 06:47 PM
OU pulled his offer.

False. I know that's the rumor going around, but the truth is that Thomas decided to de-commit after a long conversation with his parents (and calls to both Stoops and Gundy).

He just finished his junior season, and wanted to take advantage of the recruiting process. Completely understandable for a 16/17 year old kid in his position.

VA Sooner
12/11/2012, 08:14 PM
Must have overlooked the fact that he's a 2014 recruit... too young... throw 'em back.

Widescreen
12/12/2012, 12:33 AM
Oklahoma isn’t out of the picture for Thomas' services, but the Sooners aren’t the best fit, he said.
Not in love with that particular statement. I'd be in favor of yanking the scholarship offer if he still has it. If OU isn't the best fit now, it's not going to be the best fit a year from now either.

OkieThunderLion
12/12/2012, 10:21 AM
False. I know that's the rumor going around, but the truth is that Thomas decided to de-commit after a long conversation with his parents (and calls to both Stoops and Gundy).

He just finished his junior season, and wanted to take advantage of the recruiting process. Completely understandable for a 16/17 year old kid in his position.

It is on a pay board that OU pulled the offer due to maturity questions.

Not true though?

8timechamps
12/12/2012, 03:24 PM

Not true though?

Not sure we'll ever really know one way or the other. It was reported that both Bob and Cale Gundy were unhappy about the de-commit, and Thomas' said the rumor of the scholarship being pulled was not true.

The more I think about it though, the more I am not so sure. Apparently there were concerns about both his on and off the field production this year, so it does make me wonder if Stoops pulled the offer, but didn't make it public so that Thomas could get looks from other schools. Hopefully someone will ask Stoops about it whenever he has his next press conference.

Mjcpr
12/12/2012, 03:52 PM
Not sure we'll ever really know one way or the other. It was reported that both Bob and Cale Gundy were unhappy about the de-commit, and Thomas' said the rumor of the scholarship being pulled was not true.

The more I think about it though, the more I am not so sure. Apparently there were concerns about both his on and off the field production this year, so it does make me wonder if Stoops pulled the offer, but didn't make it public so that Thomas could get looks from other schools. Hopefully someone will ask Stoops about it whenever he has his next press conference.

I didn't think coaches were allowed to comment on specific players?

8timechamps
12/12/2012, 04:11 PM
I didn't think coaches were allowed to comment on specific players?

That's why I said it was "reported" that they were unhappy. Jerkface.

Widescreen
12/12/2012, 04:41 PM
That's why I said it was "reported" that they were unhappy. Jerkface.

I think his point was that if Stoops was asked about it in a press conference, he wouldn't be able to answer.

However, if the question needs to be asked anyway, I nominate Kuzydym.

goingoneight
12/12/2012, 06:03 PM
As long as the AD's are under pressure to win NOW and FOREVER, that's
the way it'll be...

I hear ya... I mean, we're guilty of it in December 1998. I just think... what's do hard about making coaches stand by the guys they've recruited and developed. The kids have worked hard all season long for where they end up bowl season and it's horrible when somebody just gives up on them like that to try on their shiny new hat. The off-season is eight months long. I'd love to have heard Mike Stoops was being called for an interview with Arizona AFTER the BIG 12 CCG and MNC games. All this early bird hiring does is it gives you a head start on recruiting that you're already way behind on come December anyway. I know the only way something like this ever comes to pass is if the NCAA steps in and rules that coaching interviews and hiring be done AFTER the bowl season. These guys even as assistants make way too much money to complain about having to honor their commitment for 30 more days.

8timechamps
12/12/2012, 06:04 PM
I think his point was that if Stoops was asked about it in a press conference, he wouldn't be able to answer.

However, if the question needs to be asked anyway, I nominate Kuzydym.

True, but we both know that Pat isn't smart enough to think about that...:)

Stoops is having a press conference on Monday, I hope it's going to be on Fox (Sooner Network), because there's going to be a lot of questions that have nothing to do with the Cotton Bowl.

BBQ Man
12/13/2012, 11:09 AM

I agree, but nothing will change. I contracts should increase the buyout tenfold if the coach leaves before the bowl game. Or how about ADs just not grant permission to interview until after bowls.

SoonerNutt
12/13/2012, 01:03 PM

I agree that that you shouldn't be actively recruiting guys who are too young. But I just don't think that there is a whole lot the NCAA can do to enforce something like that. They can't enforce all the rules they have now, so why add new ones that would be so easy to get around. Say you have a Freshman phenom recruit, and there was an NCAA rule that said you can't contact underclassmen. Suddenly every coach would start "recruiting" Seniors on his team, and would somehow just accidentally "bump into" the Freshman on campus, after games, etc... There isn't anything the NCAA ccould do about it.

CowboyMRW
12/16/2012, 01:42 PM
Just committed to OSU

Newbomb Turk
12/16/2012, 02:30 PM

Just committed to OSU

the maturity questions seem to be true.

MichiganSooner
12/16/2012, 03:16 PM
To OSU. What kind of car is he driving?

kevpks
12/16/2012, 03:45 PM
Just committed to OSU

The Pokes will interpret this as further evidence that they are a program on the rise.

8timechamps
12/16/2012, 04:12 PM
I gave the kid the benefit of the doubt when he said he wanted to take his time and experience the whole process. Then, he commits less than a week after de-committing. Maybe there was something to the "OU pulling his offer" rumor. Otherwise, it was all just a BS story to flip his commit.

tulsaoilerfan
12/16/2012, 08:24 PM
Why the hell would anyone want to play at Puke U?

yermom
12/16/2012, 10:12 PM
maybe it's the Broyles fake-out?

OkieThunderLion
12/17/2012, 12:42 AM
I gave the kid the benefit of the doubt when he said he wanted to take his time and experience the whole process. Then, he commits less than a week after de-committing. Maybe there was something to the "OU pulling his offer" rumor. Otherwise, it was all just a BS story to flip his commit.
A premium board originally said OU pulled it. Someone from BA said he was never extended an offer in the first place. IDK.

picasso
12/17/2012, 12:57 AM
He said some things in the paper that makes me question his intelligence. Basically that OU fans dogged him in social media for his change of heart. He said on the other hand, oSu fans would wish him luck if he did the same to them.
Sounds like the dooshy Poke brain wash to me.

Widescreen
12/17/2012, 08:09 AM
He said on the other hand, oSu fans would wish him luck if he did the same to them.

There's plenty of historical evidence to the contrary but whatever makes him feel better...

redkid
12/18/2012, 05:19 PM
From wild cherry to orange sherbert,,I'm sure he will try a few more flavors until national signing day.