PDA

View Full Version : So I recently got Netflix

TanTanFeil
12/10/2012, 11:34 PM
I had always wanted to watch Lost so that is why I hopped on the Netflix bandwagon. I thought it was pretty great. Give your opinions too

Also, any suggestions? I am hooked and need to watch more

cleller
12/11/2012, 08:27 AM
Go British.

The IT Crowd, Doc Martin, Foyles War. Too bad the old Dexter's aren't on there now.

Another British show called Whites is pretty funny, its on hulu, though.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/11/2012, 09:33 AM
IT Crowd is my fav...

Jason White's Third Knee
12/11/2012, 10:07 AM
Burn Notice is my fav.

If you have an infantile sense of humor like I do:
Inbetweeners
Archer

If you can handle subtitles:
Elite squad
Old boy
Ip man
Girl with the dragon tattoo

Great stuff right there.

badger
12/11/2012, 10:10 AM
There's tons of old Mystery Science if that's your thing. We've gone through a lot of Futurama as well

Jason White's Third Knee
12/11/2012, 10:10 AM
Breaking bad is good too. Hard to watch for me sometimes but very compelling.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/11/2012, 10:14 AM
Oh. And workaholics. Again, lowbrow for sure but hilarious.

yermom
12/11/2012, 10:52 AM
just caught up on Workaholics season 3.

i liked Inbetweeners a lot when i had BBCA. how many seasons were there?

Breaking Bad and Mad Men are still on there, aren't they? if you are into more highbrow stuff

There was only one season, but Terriers was really good

also, Louie.

olevetonahill
12/11/2012, 11:01 AM
I find it amusing as hell That I aint got a clue what Yall talkin about , Sure Ive heard of net flicks and a couple of those shows but never seen a one of em.

C&CDean
12/11/2012, 11:07 AM
I find it amusing as hell That I aint got a clue what Yall talkin about , Sure Ive heard of net flicks and a couple of those shows but never seen a one of em.

I've heard of Lost. None of the others. And who the hell has time to sit and watch TV reruns anyhow? Sheez. If I've got a couple hours for TV time it's gonna be a Sooner/Packer/Cardinal game or a Harry Potter flick. I did see a little bit of a Pawn Shop show last night that was alright. Staged and silly, but alright.

olevetonahill
12/11/2012, 11:14 AM
I've heard of Lost. None of the others. And who the hell has time to sit and watch TV reruns anyhow? Sheez. If I've got a couple hours for TV time it's gonna be a Sooner/Packer/Cardinal game or a Harry Potter flick. I did see a little bit of a Pawn Shop show last night that was alright. Staged and silly, but alright.

The last time my TeeVee was on was sat. for the Army/Navy game
Ill moren likely have the Direct turned off after the Bowls

SunnySooner
12/11/2012, 12:05 PM
My son watched a lot of the "new" Dr. Who series over the summer, caught a few with him. They were well done, some of the stories were really imaginative, and you don't have to know the entire history of Dr. Who to enjoy the shows. Yes, there are continuing story lines, but each show is its own complete story, you don't necessarily have to watch it all in "order". I think the series re-booted around 2002 or so, and as far as I know, they are still making new shows.

If you like WWII stuff, I saw the entire "Band of Brothers" series not too long ago, and it's awesome. Sooooo good. Loved it.

I also like "Shameless" from Showtime, not sure if you can get that on Netflix or not, but it's just a train-wreck of a show, you laugh at stuff you know you shouldn't, some of it makes you uncomfortable, but the acting is superb, and you just can't turn away once you start watching.

"Nurse Jackie" is another Showtime series I like, Edie Falco is amazing. And then, there's "Game of Thrones" from HBO, the third season is about to start, you could catch up on the first two seasons, it's great as well.

If it's mostly just regular TV that's available, then I'm less help, don't watch too much of that anymore. I know "Modern Family" has a ton of fans, never watched it, but you might give it a try, it has a few old seasons now.

Happy viewing!!! ;)

Lott's Bandana
12/11/2012, 12:34 PM
This thread provides a lot of good information:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?166662-Movie-Reccomendations&highlight

TanTanFeil
12/11/2012, 02:57 PM
The Inbetweeners I have heard of, so I started watching it but then got tired of it because it wasn't funny and it was an MTV show. BLEH!! Then I found out there was a british version that was better. I'll start watching that one.

Workoholics I started that. I'm at the 4th episode right now and I think it is hilarious.

Dr Who sounds interesting. I just googled it. Might be one I will watch.

Thanks for everyones input

TanTanFeil
12/11/2012, 03:02 PM
IT Crowd is my fav...

Just watched some clips on YouTube. I will be watching this

badger
12/11/2012, 03:07 PM
Anyone try out any Netflorks-like subscription services, like Hulu Plus or the like?

yermom
12/11/2012, 03:08 PM
Shameless, as previously mentioned was also a BBC show originally, i haven't see it, but i liked the Showtime version

Jason White's Third Knee
12/11/2012, 08:12 PM
The Inbetweeners I have heard of, so I started watching it but then got tired of it because it wasn't funny and it was an MTV show. BLEH!! Then I found out there was a british version that was better. I'll start watching that one.

Workoholics I started that. I'm at the 4th episode right now and I think it is hilarious.

Dr Who sounds interesting. I just googled it. Might be one I will watch.

Thanks for everyones input

I've only seen the British one. Friggin' histerical. I think they only have one season on NF. I think 2-3 exist. Workaholics is off the chain. I can re-watch these and still laugh my *** off.

*Again, I have the same sense of humor as a poorly raised 13 year old.

SicEmBaylor
12/11/2012, 08:30 PM
Torrent>Netflix

yermom
12/11/2012, 08:35 PM
i can not confirm, nor deny that

soonerinabilene
12/11/2012, 08:40 PM
Netflix=legaler than torrents.

BigTip
12/12/2012, 10:52 PM
Netflix = crack.

I had never watched Mad Men. Watched the first episode on Netflix. Then I watched 6 episodes in a row. Geez, who DOES that?!

cleller
12/13/2012, 06:54 PM
Anyone ever see Saxondale? Unique show; I thought it was hilarious, wife hated it. Its a show from an English comic named Steve Coogan. Was on Netflix, but I think they dropped it. A shame.

8timechamps
12/13/2012, 08:57 PM
I frequent the documentary section, there's some pretty good one's among a lot of bad ones.

cleller
12/14/2012, 09:51 AM
For anyone who ran home from school in 1969-1970 to catch Barnabas Collins on Dark Shadows, they have most of those old shows on Netflix. The oldest shows prior to Barnabas' arrival didn't survive, apparently.

Life must have truly been slower then, because that stuff barely crawls along. Good for a long winter night, though.

CowboyMRW
12/14/2012, 05:34 PM
The League is very funny.
Friday Night Lights is must see as is Breaking Bad.

12/15/2012, 08:21 AM
Breaking Bad. You can also compare True Grit movies on a rainy day. (One is good, the other stars John Wayne)

cleller
12/15/2012, 10:03 AM
Breaking Bad. You can also compare True Grit movies on a rainy day. (One is good, the other stars John Wayne)

Slander John Wayne?

"You do and it'll be the biggest mistake YOU ever made, you Texas brush-popper!"

BudSooner
12/15/2012, 07:00 PM
There's tons of old Mystery Science if that's your thing. We've gone through a lot of Futurama as well
MST3K is an acquired taste for some, myself....I do enjoy it but there for awhile Starz ran the episode "This Island Earth" into the ground.

Oh. And workaholics. Again, lowbrow for sure but hilarious.
I've heard of that, need to watch it soon.

My son watched a lot of the "new" Dr. Who series over the summer, caught a few with him. They were well done, some of the stories were really imaginative, and you don't have to know the entire history of Dr. Who to enjoy the shows. Yes, there are continuing story lines, but each show is its own complete story, you don't necessarily have to watch it all in "order". I think the series re-booted around 2002 or so, and as far as I know, they are still making new shows.

If you like WWII stuff, I saw the entire "Band of Brothers" series not too long ago, and it's awesome. Sooooo good. Loved it.

I also like "Shameless" from Showtime, not sure if you can get that on Netflix or not, but it's just a train-wreck of a show, you laugh at stuff you know you shouldn't, some of it makes you uncomfortable, but the acting is superb, and you just can't turn away once you start watching.

"Nurse Jackie" is another Showtime series I like, Edie Falco is amazing. And then, there's "Game of Thrones" from HBO, the third season is about to start, you could catch up on the first two seasons, it's great as well.

If it's mostly just regular TV that's available, then I'm less help, don't watch too much of that anymore. I know "Modern Family" has a ton of fans, never watched it, but you might give it a try, it has a few old seasons now.

Happy viewing!!! ;)Can't go wrong with Doctor Who, I thought David Tennant was great, Eccleston was awful, and Matt Smith just keeps me laughing. "I wear a fez....fez are cool...."
But then again, i've watched the show since I was a kid.

Torrent>Netflix
Yeah, if you want to get busted by the studios, we have had numerous subscribers get caught doing it, and turned off their internet connection at the request of the big studios.

Anyone ever see Saxondale? Unique show; I thought it was hilarious, wife hated it. Its a show from an English comic named Steve Coogan. Was on Netflix, but I think they dropped it. A shame.
Never watched it, but need to...Coogan is funny as hell when turned loose. Sort of a younger Rowan Atkinson.

cleller
12/19/2012, 11:01 PM
We just watched "Bernie" on Netflix with Jack Black. Thought it was very good. No wild antics and filth, just smooth black comedy. Even Matthew McConnaghey couldn't ruin it.

Pretty sly stuff.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/19/2012, 11:24 PM
Torrent>Netflix
Yeah, if you want to get busted by the studios, we have had numerous subscribers get caught doingit, and turned off their internet connection at the request of the big studios. . you got to understand that from Sic em's perspective, it's ok to be illegal as long as you're a Southern Gentleman.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/26/2012, 12:50 PM
I watched Young Adult last night, starring Charlize Theron. Really enjoyed it.

Netflix classified it as a romantic comedy, but that's inaccurate. It's a dark comedy that doesn't follow a hollywood formula.

Written and directed by the people who did Juno.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/young-adult/critic-reviews

SanJoaquinSooner
12/26/2012, 09:44 PM
If you got the time, I highly recommend Carlos. It's a three-part 6-hour film, but it sucks you in. It's about Carlos the Jackal.

Netflix streaming.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/carlos/critic-reviews

SanJoaquinSooner
12/28/2012, 12:54 AM
Great Romanian film on Netflix streaming: http://www.metacritic.com/movie/4-months-3-weeks-and-2-days/critic-reviews

SanJoaquinSooner
12/28/2012, 10:10 PM
Lilies of the Field goes off Netflix streaming on 1/1/13. If you've never seen it, you should know that it is the perfect movie.

TitoMorelli
12/28/2012, 10:20 PM
Lilies of the Field goes off Netflix streaming on 1/1/13. If you've never seen it, you should know that it is the perfect movie.

The early '60's film? Or another one with the same title?

Wishboned
12/28/2012, 11:55 PM
For anyone who ran home from school in 1969-1970 to catch Barnabas Collins on Dark Shadows, they have most of those old shows on Netflix. The oldest shows prior to Barnabas' arrival didn't survive, apparently.

Life must have truly been slower then, because that stuff barely crawls along. Good for a long winter night, though.

The pre-Barnabas shows are still available. I think Netflix just chooses not to stream them because pre-Barnabas it was really REALLY bad.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/29/2012, 12:44 AM
The early '60's film? Or another one with the same title?\

Yes, the early 60s film, with Sidney Poitier who won the Best Actor Oscar for his role.

Lott's Bandana
12/29/2012, 12:06 PM
MY WAY

A Korean-made WWII flick that has some of the best battle scenes I have ever seen on "film". Rivals BOB and Saving Private Ryan. Interesting story too.

StoopTroup
12/29/2012, 04:16 PM
Lee Van Cleef was a badass. Watched one of his movies late last night...."Death rides a horse".

I like the Boardwalk Empire with Buscemi too.

GDC
12/29/2012, 05:09 PM
Lee Van Cleef was a badass. Watched one of his movies late last night...."Death rides a horse".

I like the Boardwalk Empire with Buscemi too.

I went on a spaghetti western kick a few months ago and netflix allowed me to view many I might not have had access to otherwise, like Django, The Great Silence, and The Mercenary.

It's amazing how many of those Lee Van Cleef was in, and yes, he is a major bad *** in all of them.

TitoMorelli
12/29/2012, 08:09 PM
Yes, the early 60s film, with Sidney Poitier who won the Best Actor Oscar for his role.

Agree. Great movie.

StoopTroup
12/29/2012, 11:18 PM
I went on a spaghetti western kick a few months ago and netflix allowed me to view many I might not have had access to otherwise, like Django, The Great Silence, and The Mercenary.

It's amazing how many of those Lee Van Cleef was in, and yes, he is a major bad *** in all of them.

No doubt. I liked James Coburn and Rod Steiger too. DUCK YOU SUCKER should be an American-Italian Classic. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THn36Mwmv7U

StoopTroup
12/29/2012, 11:18 PM
Great before and after pics in this of the bridge they blew up....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW0wO-Vds_8

SCOUT
12/30/2012, 12:46 AM
Breaking bad is good too. Hard to watch for me sometimes but very compelling.
Breaking Bad is worth Netflix all on its own.