PDA

View Full Version : The sky is NOT falling

8timechamps
12/10/2012, 04:54 PM
Recruiting is more of an art than a science, and it's very hard to evaluate what a team's class looks like after National Signing Day. It's IMPOSSIBLE to evaluate a team's class before NSD. To do so is foolish.

Contrary to a lot of rumbling I've seen, OU is not "in trouble" with this class. Everything is going as it always does, and every position that needs to be filled, will be.

Now, I can understand how the casual recruiting observer could panic because we didn't get (enter player's name). The media hype is at an all time high for this kind of stuff. But, just like everything else out there, most of it's driven by money. Scouts/Rivals/etc. want you to pay for their site so you can get "inside" information...in the end, it's nothing more than what you can find yourself if you know where to look...but I digress. My point is that these services (and sports media outlets) are paid to get eyeballs...so they report on every "big-time" recruit and where he may be taking a dump that day. Don't freak out when you hear that a kid committed to a school other than OU. It happens every year, and we still survive.

OU has a lot of work to do between now and NSD. But, there is absolutely no reason to believe Stoops & Co. won't get it done. Like always.

Scott D
12/10/2012, 05:04 PM
Actually watching the SEC recruiting game this year for a kid that can't declare until next year has taught me a few interesting things. The biggest being that fans are crazy, many of them that try to follow recruiting are nuts. And that the entire process is ridiculous these days. There are a few level headed posters in the world of internet fan based college recruiting, but most of them have just way too high expectations of the kids, and view the process way too extreme.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/10/2012, 05:08 PM
The average fan not realizing that Evaluation is 100 times more important than recruiting according to rankings.

Curly Bill
12/10/2012, 05:13 PM
I like following it, but it is indeed way overblown. What class was it where we landed 3
5-star recruits? Jermie Calhoun, Stephen Good, and RJ Washington. Man, those guys turned out all kinds of awesome!

Scott D
12/10/2012, 05:14 PM
But omg we're going to lose everything if player x doesn't come here.

The most sensible people I've read on a board were from a school where a kid would be a legacy, and they took a look at the list of schools that had offered the kid, and said that it would be nice if he chose to be a legacy player, they understood based on the other schools interested that it was a long shot for him to verbal or sign with them.

Scott D
12/10/2012, 05:15 PM
I like following it, but it is indeed way overblown. What class was it where we landed 3
5-star recruits? Jermie Calhoun, Stephen Good, and RJ Washington. Man, those guys turned out all kinds of awesome!

that goes back to a previous argument in another thread about it not being the physical tools that should determine a player (like it is now), and how things like work ethic aren't really taken into account as much as they should be.

Curly Bill
12/10/2012, 05:18 PM
that goes back to a previous argument in another thread about it not being the physical tools that should determine a player (like it is now), and how things like work ethic aren't really taken into account as much as they should be.

Agreed. All things being equal I'd rather start with a 5-star and go from there, but too many times these dudes don't wanna work, or they've already peaked and don't have the room to improve that a lesser rated recruit might. To me that would be the hardest part of recruiting - evaluating a player not on how good he is now, but how good he can be.

badger
12/10/2012, 05:47 PM
OK, so maybe the sky isn't falling because we aren't landing recruits this coming year... maybe the sky is falling because our recent classes haven't panned out like we wish they did?
2008:
Mike Balogun :(
J.R. Bryant :confused:
Jermie Calhoun :mad:
Daniel Franklin:confused:
Stephen Good :)
Ben Habern :)
James Hanna :D
Lamar Harris :confused:
Joseph Ibiloye :)
Justin Johnson:confused:
Landry Jones :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
David King :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Stacey McGee :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Dejuan Miller :(
Britt Mitchell:confused:
Jameel Owens:(
David Sims:confused:
Casey Walker
R.J. Washington :)
Tress Way:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

8timechamps
12/10/2012, 07:04 PM
OK, so maybe the sky isn't falling because we aren't landing recruits this coming year... maybe the sky is falling because our recent classes haven't panned out like we wish they did?
2008:
Mike Balogun :(
J.R. Bryant :confused:
Jermie Calhoun :mad:
Daniel Franklin:confused:
Stephen Good :)
Ben Habern :)
James Hanna :D
Lamar Harris :confused:
Joseph Ibiloye :)
Justin Johnson:confused:
Landry Jones :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
David King :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Stacey McGee :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Dejuan Miller :(
Britt Mitchell:confused:
Jameel Owens:(
David Sims:confused:
Casey Walker
R.J. Washington :)
Tress Way:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Eh, it's the same all over the country. We've just had a few more high profile guys than most schools in the conference (except for the whorns).

8timechamps
12/10/2012, 07:06 PM
Actually watching the SEC recruiting game this year for a kid that can't declare until next year has taught me a few interesting things. The biggest being that fans are crazy, many of them that try to follow recruiting are nuts. And that the entire process is ridiculous these days. There are a few level headed posters in the world of internet fan based college recruiting, but most of them have just way too high expectations of the kids, and view the process way too extreme.

I follow it pretty close (not obsessed), but I've also been following it long enough to know that high school kids are still high school kids, and it is what it is.

Of course, I don't beat my girlfriend when OU loses a game, so there's that. I have thrown one or two things...but that's usually because there has been alcohol involved, and even then it's usually something getting thrown at the trees in my backyard.

Scott D
12/10/2012, 09:24 PM
I follow it pretty close (not obsessed), but I've also been following it long enough to know that high school kids are still high school kids, and it is what it is.

Of course, I don't beat my girlfriend when OU loses a game, so there's that. I have thrown one or two things...but that's usually because there has been alcohol involved, and even then it's usually something getting thrown at the trees in my backyard.

you know I wasn't referring to you :P

more the people that get angry/upset/angst filled when player x signs with school y instead.

8timechamps
12/10/2012, 09:32 PM
you know I wasn't referring to you :P

more the people that get angry/upset/angst filled when player x signs with school y instead.

I knew it wasn't aimed at me. Those people you mentioned are usually the same ones that panic when OU loses. Those same folks probably need stress-free hobby.

Scott D
12/10/2012, 09:35 PM
I knew it wasn't aimed at me. Those people you mentioned are usually the same ones that panic when OU loses. Those same folks probably need stress-free hobby.

I dunno, they're the ones I want following through on jumping off the ledge after a loss.

8timechamps
12/10/2012, 09:39 PM
I dunno, they're the ones I want following through on jumping off the ledge after a loss.

Well, at least they provide entertainment year-round.

opksooner
12/10/2012, 10:16 PM
Recruiting is more of an art than a science, and it's very hard to evaluate what a team's class looks like after National Signing Day. It's IMPOSSIBLE to evaluate a team's class before NSD. To do so is foolish.

Contrary to a lot of rumbling I've seen, OU is not "in trouble" with this class. Everything is going as it always does, and every position that needs to be filled, will be.

Now, I can understand how the casual recruiting observer could panic because we didn't get (enter player's name). The media hype is at an all time high for this kind of stuff. But, just like everything else out there, most of it's driven by money. Scouts/Rivals/etc. want you to pay for their site so you can get "inside" information...in the end, it's nothing more than what you can find yourself if you know where to look...but I digress. My point is that these services (and sports media outlets) are paid to get eyeballs...so they report on every "big-time" recruit and where he may be taking a dump that day. Don't freak out when you hear that a kid committed to a school other than OU. It happens every year, and we still survive.

OU has a lot of work to do between now and NSD. But, there is absolutely no reason to believe Stoops & Co. won't get it done. Like always.

Yeah! What he said.

Soonerus
12/10/2012, 10:16 PM
People who "flyspeck" recruiting classes need to get a life...

FirstandGoal
12/10/2012, 10:26 PM
So if I post in this thread does that mean I need to get a life?

:O

BoulderSooner79
12/10/2012, 11:10 PM
So if I post in this thread does that mean I need to get a life?

:O

No. It means it too late for that. Oh wait...

Ruf/Nek7
12/11/2012, 10:49 AM
I, for one, am one of the people who is not happy with the progress of this class thus far. Many of you keep talking about evaluation over ratings and I agree. My issues is, we are missing on too many guys we did evaluate and did consider worthy of our offer. So thus, my point is, we are left to go after guys we evaluated and did not consider them top tier. Yes, we will land our guys that we need but were they the guys that from day one, the coaches were saying, "we need him"?

Ruf/Nek7
12/11/2012, 10:52 AM
Also, something i feel is noteworthy, I am at it with an aggy from the south and tired of hearing his spew on gay&m's success. It does stir me a little bit
:nevreness:

MsProudSooner
12/11/2012, 10:55 AM
Last year there was plenty of hand wringing and gnashing of teeth going on over our lack of receivers after several were suspended and/or kicked off of the team. In spite of that, the receiving corps turned out to be one of our best. My only suggestion would be these:

1) Wait until the class is signed to evaluate the class.
2) Don't turn in to "Mack Brown North" and evaluate them only by the stars the are given by supposed recruiting gurus.

Fraggle145
12/11/2012, 11:10 AM
Get a commit from a decent DT and I'd feel better.

Curly Bill
12/11/2012, 11:44 AM
I'm not a sky is falling guy either, but I'm also concerned we're missing out on a lot of these guys we're offering.

That being said: I still slept like a baby last night, so in the grand scheme of things it don't matter much!

stoops the eternal pimp
12/11/2012, 11:57 AM
Maybe if Bob would go watch videos of recruits flipping over defensive players and walk up to say "Hello" in a weird voice..That's the best recruiting advice I have.

FirstandGoal
12/11/2012, 01:53 PM
Get a commit from a decent DT and I'd feel better.

This is kinda where I am. For the most part I have faith that this coaching staff will get the needed pieces together at all other positions (heck, I wasn't even worried last summer when we only had 1 receiver on the roster who had ever taken a snap as a Sooner) but DT worries me.

Scott D
12/11/2012, 06:11 PM
Truthfully, I won't be concerned until it's mid Feb. and we don't have a commitment from some positions of need. In early December? not so much.

8timechamps
12/11/2012, 06:38 PM
Truthfully, I won't be concerned until it's mid Feb. and we don't have a commitment from some positions of need. In early December? not so much.

Me too. I would have felt all warm and fuzzy if Justin Manning would have committed to OU, but it happens. I think we'd all feel a little better if we had a good DT committed. I never get worried about recruiting, but there have been times I've seen what I thought was a 'weak' class, and it turned out to be good (and the other way around). So basically, I've learned that following this stuff closely, is a huge waste of time...and I love it!

BoomerJ
12/11/2012, 08:17 PM
Does anyone know the list of recruits attending the banquet this weekend?

Sabanball
12/11/2012, 08:42 PM
Saw where Ricky Seals-Jones decommitted from the whorns and has committed to the aggies. Kevin Sumlin is handing Mac's a** to him in recruiting this yr.

Fraggle145
12/11/2012, 09:10 PM
I wouldnt be as concerned if we didnt suck so bad at DT and LB. I mean they are just not good. Or I should say not up to par.

8timechamps
12/11/2012, 10:47 PM
Saw where Ricky Seals-Jones de-committed from the whorns and has committed to the aggies. Kevin Sumlin is handing Mac's a** to him in recruiting this yr.

Happened a while back. IIRC, the whorns said "thanks, but no thanks" to RSJ, and pulled the offer. I know he just committed to A&M though.

I know there was some falling out somewhere along the lines with the kid. OU showed interest, but was never heavily after him. He'll be another interesting kid to watch.

8timechamps
12/11/2012, 10:50 PM
I wouldnt be as concerned if we didnt suck so bad at DT and LB. I mean they are just not good. Or I should say not up to par.

It's hard to know if LB is an area of great need, or not, when we play the scheme we've played lately. With Shannon being young, and Nelson having another year, we're pretty set there for now. However, we did land a kid from Texas (Jordan Mastrogiavanni), 6'2". 220 lbs. Big time run stopper, and 'above-average' zone player. I'll wait to see how he looks in the summer, but he could see some playing time next year.

8timechamps
12/11/2012, 10:54 PM
Does anyone know the list of recruits attending the banquet this weekend?

ATH - Adrian Baker (FSU commit)
ATH - Austin Bennett (OU commit)
LB - Jordan Mastrogiovanni (OU commit)
RB - Keith Ford (OU commit)
QB - Cody Thomas (OU commit)
WR - Laquon Treadwell
ATH - Dominique Alexander (OU commit)
DE - Jordan Evans (OU commit)
OT - Nico Falah (USC commit)

A few things to note; Adrian Baker, while committed to FSU has picked up communication with Stoops (since Mark left for UK). Laquon Treadwell, one of (if not the) best WRs in the country didn't have OU high on his list a few months ago, now OU is very near the top (with...wait for it...Ole Miss). Falah committed to USC quiet a while back, so if he shows for the banquet, it could be a sign that he's ready to do the old switch-a-roo, and commit to OU.

I'm sure there will be one or two more coming, so I'll try to update it when I know more).

BoomerJ
12/13/2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks 8Times

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/13/2012, 06:59 PM
Of course, I don't beat my girlfriend when OU loses a game, so there's that. I have thrown one or two things...but that's usually because there has been alcohol involved, and even then it's usually something getting thrown at the trees in my backyard.I dealt with the debbil, and swore if we were allowed to beat the domer, then I would join SEIU, and campaign for Kirsten Sinema and Ed Pastor. Yeah, now i'm sorta glad we lost...again...to domer in Norman. They would have ranked us too high if we had beaten them.

12/13/2012, 07:04 PM
Maybe if Bob would go watch videos of recruits flipping over defensive players and walk up to say "Hello" in a weird voice..That's the best recruiting advice I have.Bob's "hello" in that tv ad does indeed sound "funny". I wonder how/why that happened.

12/13/2012, 07:06 PM
Saw where Ricky Seals-Jones decommitted from the whorns and has committed to the aggies. Kevin Sumlin is handing Mac's a** to him in recruiting this yr.Thanks. Kevin Sumlin's team is in the SEC, ya know!

Herr Scholz
12/14/2012, 12:30 PM
Saw where Ricky Seals-Jones decommitted from the whorns and has committed to the aggies. Kevin Sumlin is handing Mac's a** to him in recruiting this yr.

Really? Because Brown is beating Sumlin 7:2 in head to head battles in this 2013 class (RSJ and Manning being the two we offered and they got). We're taking a smallish class this year (only have 9 graduating seniors). Their average star ranking is much lower too (3.41 to 3.77) due to over half of their class being 3-star players - 18 to be exact.
But carry on.

Texas verbals offered by aggy (7):
CB Antwuan Davis
LB Deoundrei Davis
C Darius James
OT Kent Perkins
WR Jake Oliver
ATH Jake Raulerson
QB Tyrone Swoopes

aggy verbals offered by Texas (2):
DT Justin Manning
ATH RSJ

zeptrey
12/14/2012, 12:39 PM
Really? Because Brown is beating Sumlin 7:2 in head to head battles in this 2013 class (RSJ and Manning being the two we offered and they got). We're taking a smallish class this year (only have 9 graduating seniors). Their average star ranking is much lower too (3.41 to 3.77) due to over half of their class being 3-star players - 18 to be exact.
But carry on.

Texas verbals offered by aggy (7):
CB Antwuan Davis
LB Deoundrei Davis
C Darius James
OT Kent Perkins
WR Jake Oliver
ATH Jake Raulerson
QB Tyrone Swoopes

aggy verbals offered by Texas (2):
DT Justin Manning
ATH RSJ

Does that mean that RSJ is the next Heisman trophy winner? Did Mack want to make him a place kicker or something?

Herr Scholz
12/14/2012, 03:03 PM
Does that mean that RSJ is the next Heisman trophy winner? Did Mack want to make him a place kicker or something?

Ha. No, we didn't even offer Manziel. We were looking at him as a DB but never offered. In a strange twist too, our DB coach Akina was the one trying to sell Mack on him as a QB recruit but to no avail. Mack fell in love with the Bama offense in '09 and has been desperately trying to get us there. I think us going away from the spread with a running QB was a mistake. Having VY and Colt run around was when we were most successful. We missed on him and RGIII as QBs but keep in mind you guys missed on VY too, recruiting him as a WR. That worked out pretty well for us. Recruiting is more of an art than a science.

I'm just tired of the "aggy's are killing the Longhorns in recruiting" talk. It's simply not true. I will say they're making it a battle now where they didn't before. If anything though, OU is the one missing out on more Texas recruits due to their resurgence, not us. We only offered 2 of their 34 current recruits. OU offered 11, including several WRs and DTs (which apparently you need at this point):

aggys with OU offers (11):
OT Gustafson
TE Clear
ATH/WR RSJ
ATH/WR Gonzalez
WR Griffin
WR Parker
WR Williams
LB Chevis
DT Golden
DT Manning
DT Walker

*DT Huggins (no OU offer but Skyline kid who's very good - betting you wish you'd offered him as well)

LiveLaughLove
12/14/2012, 03:53 PM
The sky ins't falling but OU's chances of competing for a NC any time soon is going to be related to how many high quality OL and DL players we can get.

And that's not looking so good currently.

zeptrey
12/14/2012, 04:01 PM
Ha. No, we didn't even offer Manziel. We were looking at him as a DB but never offered. In a strange twist too, our DB coach Akina was the one trying to sell Mack on him as a QB recruit but to no avail. Mack fell in love with the Bama offense in '09 and has been desperately trying to get us there. I think us going away from the spread with a running QB was a mistake. Having VY and Colt run around was when we were most successful. We missed on him and RGIII as QBs but keep in mind you guys missed on VY too, recruiting him as a WR. That worked out pretty well for us. Recruiting is more of an art than a science.

I'm just tired of the "aggy's are killing the Longhorns in recruiting" talk. It's simply not true. I will say they're making it a battle now where they didn't before. If anything though, OU is the one missing out on more Texas recruits due to their resurgence, not us. We only offered 2 of their 34 current recruits. OU offered 11, including several WRs and DTs (which apparently you need at this point):

OT Gustafson
TE Clear
ATH/WR RSJ
ATH/WR Gonzalez
WR Griffin
WR Parker
WR Williams
LB Chevis
DT Golden
DT Manning
DT Walker

*DT Huggins (no OU offer but Skyline kid who's very good - betting you wish you'd offered him as well)
I smell what you're stepping in, however, VY didn't win the Heisman and only beat us once. I will say he had one of the best seasons ever in 05, but Bush took the Heisman a long with a couple mil for his ma and pa's new digs in LA.

Sabanball
12/14/2012, 08:22 PM

OT Gustafson
TE Clear
ATH/WR RSJ
ATH/WR Gonzalez
WR Griffin
WR Parker
WR Williams
LB Chevis
DT Golden
DT Manning
DT Walker

Yea, what a dumb idea. Our almost perfectly balanced O only helped get us to 3 BCSCG's in 4 yrs, as opposed to the flag football you guys were playing back then. What on earth was Mack thinking?

King Crimson
12/16/2012, 04:52 AM
herr is right in a way. his point that texans are asshats is a good one.

anyways, UT is gonna always get the small-minded and usually overrated Texas recruit...ATM being semi-good for once hurts OU more than the Uterus.

Herr Scholz
12/16/2012, 08:25 PM
Yea, what a dumb idea. Our almost perfectly balanced O only helped get us to 3 BCSCG's in 4 yrs, as opposed to the flag football you guys were playing back then. What on earth was Mack thinking?

Bama does it very well but what works for Bama doesn't necessarily translate for us. My point was we don't have the horses on the O line that Bama has. Mack desperately wants to be Bama running the ball but we're just not. Plus, the spread is what most of Texas high school teams run. That's what Texas recruits are good at (see all of the Texas born QBs all over the country that come into college with a greater understanding of reading defenses and running the spread). IMHO, we're trying to put some square pegs into a round hole right now.

I see you didn't retract your incorrect statement about Sumlin owning Mack in recruiting though.

8timechamps
12/17/2012, 02:10 PM
Whoops, wrong thread.

Scott D
12/17/2012, 03:36 PM
Well this thread sure got gheyed up in a hurry.

Widescreen
12/17/2012, 03:59 PM
Well this thread sure got gheyed up in a hurry.

Sabanball + a whorn

Seamus
12/17/2012, 04:20 PM
Sabanball + a whorn

Pride parade.

OkieThunderLion
12/17/2012, 04:23 PM
The sky ins't falling but OU's chances of competing for a NC any time soon is going to be related to how many high quality OL and DL players we can get.

And that's not looking so good currently.

And sometimes that can't be properly judged/evaluated thru recruiting rankings. Never know how they'll turn out.

mainline13
12/17/2012, 05:43 PM

So whose girlfriend do you beat?

8timechamps
12/17/2012, 05:54 PM

Depends where I am.

Scott D
12/17/2012, 09:39 PM

I tend to beat a poke's girlfriend. I'm not afraid of PETA.

Seamus
12/18/2012, 03:34 AM
I tend to beat a poke's girlfriend. I'm not afraid of PETA.

(nsfw)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRkE_Gv6ALM