PDA

View Full Version : Number of commits

badger
12/10/2012, 04:21 PM
ESPN has a page setup that shows the number of committments in this upcoming class:
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/classrankings

Doesn't Texas A&M know they're in the SEC now and can't have a signing class of 34?!?!?!? That's like Houston Nutt-level bad!

Georgia also has 30.

Now... I know they're just verbals right now, so I'm guessing we see a lot of heartbreak and sadness on signing day and the days leading up to it when the SEC coaches call up and say "Due to numbers, there are no scholarships available at your position (for those who spent their HS senior year injured and thus we can't risk you being a liability in the SEC numbers game). We will gladly put you on scholarship in the spring after a grayshirt season. All right by you, champ?"

Can someone help me not think less of Kevin Sumlin? I'd hate to think that he's setting up 9 kids for signing day tears :(

8timechamps
12/10/2012, 04:43 PM
Typical SEC. Seriously, that's the only reason.

A few things to think about though:

1. The SEC "says" there is a limit of 25 commits each year. We know how that works though, the SEC rarely follows up on that. The Big XII has the same "rule", but to be fair, it's not always enforced either. It comes down to coaches, and whether or not they promote grey-shirting.

2. There is no way in hell that A&M signs all 34 oral commitments. At some point, someone that has committed will receive a call that will go something like "We're sorry to inform you, but you no longer have a scholarship offer from Texas A&M". THAT, IMO, is the shadiest part of over-committing. Because usually at that point, the other big schools the recruit had considered, are full too, and the kid is left hanging.

A&M is more than likely going to end up with the #1 class for 2013. However, there are a lot of kids going to A&M that are going in expecting to be treated like they were in high school (because a lot of them were the best in the country at their respective positions). That's going to create a whole new set of challenges for Sumlin. I've said the same thing when Stoops brought in similar classes (with more than one or two very highly recruited players), and it's not usually worked out. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Mac94
12/10/2012, 05:14 PM
As for A&M ... reading up on this ... seems we undersigned last year and 8 of our current commits may be January enrollies and count to last years numbers. And ... reading that 3 or 4 may not qualify. So the numbers work out. Those in the know think we can offer one more then we're maxed out. At least thats the word from those that know better than I do.

trwxxa
12/10/2012, 08:10 PM
I am hearing that Kohl Stewart will probably try baseball first.