PDA

View Full Version : College question: Resident vs non-resident

8timechamps
12/9/2012, 08:09 PM
I've look online a little to try and find the answer to my question, but I thought I would also ask the South Oval brain-trust.

How does one qualify as a state resident for college purposes? My nephew was accepted to the University of Colorado, but he (and my sister's family) live in Missouri. Obviously he can't qualify as a Colorado resident, so he's going to be stuck with some out-of-state tuition costs (partial scholarship). Does his residence status change after a year in school, or is he going to be a non-resident for his entire time in school?

I don't know anything about this because all of my education was completed in the same state I resided (Oklahoma).

olevetonahill
12/9/2012, 08:18 PM
Not sure about any of it anymore Bro, When I started here I had just gotten out of the Army and had to show I had been a resident for the past 6 months before enrollment
But hell thats been well over 40 years ago and Ive slept once er twice and had a few brews since then

SanJoaquinSooner
12/9/2012, 08:46 PM
This may clarify:

http://highered.colorado.gov/Finance/Residency/qualified.html

rock on sooner
12/9/2012, 09:08 PM
Not sure about any of it anymore Bro, When I started here I had just gotten out of the Army and had to show I had been a resident for the past 6 months before enrollment
But hell thats been well over 40 years ago and Ive slept once er twice and had a few brews since then

Only a few?

8timechamps
12/9/2012, 09:34 PM
This may clarify:

http://highered.colorado.gov/Finance/Residency/qualified.html

Thanks brother! I just needed someone a little smarter to search for it!

yermom
12/9/2012, 10:03 PM
seems easy enough, get married...

which is bull****, btw. of course, so is out of state tuition

8timechamps
12/10/2012, 05:08 PM
seems easy enough, get married...

which is bull****, btw. of course, so is out of state tuition

Agreed.

on both counts.

badger
12/10/2012, 05:15 PM
Out of state tuition is charging more to subsidize in-state students. It's why public colleges love out of state students and recruit them so much.

Check into Colorado scholarships. If they're like OU in this way, they'll offer outta state tuition waivers (not as good of a deal as it sounds --- you just start in the same boat as every in-state student, except most of them get in-state scholarships/financial aid of some sort) for good students, students that are related to CU alumni, students of targeted backgrounds (in OU's case, Native Americans), etc.

Your best bet, of course, is to have a national merit scholar on your hands. Except for the most selective schools, they'll bend over backwards to get you in the door in-state or not.

olevetonahill
12/10/2012, 05:17 PM
Thanks brother! I just needed someone a little smarter to search for it!

Heh, jaun knows how to skirt around those border problems :devilish:

SanJoaquinSooner
12/10/2012, 05:48 PM
Heh, jaun knows how to skirt around those border problems :devilish:

as simple as paying the man.

8timechamps
12/10/2012, 07:22 PM
Out of state tuition is charging more to subsidize in-state students. It's why public colleges love out of state students and recruit them so much.

Check into Colorado scholarships. If they're like OU in this way, they'll offer outta state tuition waivers (not as good of a deal as it sounds --- you just start in the same boat as every in-state student, except most of them get in-state scholarships/financial aid of some sort) for good students, students that are related to CU alumni, students of targeted backgrounds (in OU's case, Native Americans), etc.

Your best bet, of course, is to have a national merit scholar on your hands. Except for the most selective schools, they'll bend over backwards to get you in the door in-state or not.

I'm not worried about the cost (that's on my sister :) ), and he has a partial scholly for academics. The question was more curiosity on my part than anything else. I never had to worry about resident vs. non-resident, so I didn't know how that worked.