PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Cowboys player killed in car wreck, teammate arrested

cleller
12/8/2012, 04:58 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/cowboys-nose-tackle-josh-price-brent-charged-vehicular-201129974--nfl.html

olevetonahill
12/8/2012, 05:00 PM
SAd deal
People Please dont drink and drive
I was lucky I never hurt anyone You may not be that lucky

MsProudSooner
12/8/2012, 05:15 PM
SAd deal
People Please dont drink and drive
I was lucky I never hurt anyone You may not be that lucky

Same here. My friends considered me a 'good' driver while drinking so I was often the one who drove us around. Unbelievable when you look back on it.

olevetonahill
12/8/2012, 05:19 PM
Same here. My friends considered me a 'good' driver while drinking so I was often the one who drove us around. Unbelievable when you look back on it.

Yup. I could always keep it between the lines, I only got caught because of stupid shat like a Tail light out .

sendbaht
12/8/2012, 06:57 PM
I'd drive and turn the 2 road lines in to one by closing one eye...I was lucky too...not proud of it just lucky.....poor guys...

jk the sooner fan
12/8/2012, 07:17 PM
awful story - one life gone - another changed forever

badger
12/8/2012, 09:44 PM
Confession: on multiple times, even if it wasn't my own car, even if i didnt have my license with me, i'd drive the drinkers home as the lone sober one, because let's face it -- drunk people NEVER think they're too impaired to drive.

Dont just vow to never drink and drive -- vow to NEVER let anyone else drink and drive if you can help it

FirstandGoal
12/8/2012, 09:47 PM
Oh hell, don't let Mid catch any of you guys posting about driving while under the influence. He'll want to lock you up forever and throw away the keys as you're not fit to mix with society.

Jeez, this is very sad and almost every single one of us can remember an experience when we probably drove when we shouldn't have and only by the grace of God (or good luck) or something else did we not get caught.
This is horrible. Just horrible.

FirstandGoal
12/8/2012, 09:51 PM
Confession: on multiple times, even if it wasn't my own car, even if i didnt have my license with me, i'd drive the drinkers home as the lone sober one, because let's face it -- drunk people NEVER think they're too impaired to drive.

Dont just vow to never drink and drive -- vow to NEVER let anyone else drink and drive if you can help it

Badj, that is seriously awesome. I have to admit that I didn't have enough discipline a few times in my college days to realize when I probably shouldn't have been behind the wheel and I surely didn't have enough maturity to abstain for an evening so I could make sure somebody else didn't.
Of course now on the very rare occasions that I do drink more than one beverage beyond a single glass of wine, its mostly in situations where I don't have to worry about driving anywhere afterwards. I'm either making plans to stay the night where I'll be, or I'm at home.

StoopTroup
12/8/2012, 10:11 PM
Yup. I could always keep it between the lines, I only got caught because of stupid shat like a Tail light out .

So the moral of this story is "Don't hit a curb at high speed and if you do move your buddy's body behind the wheel and then kick out the tag light"?

I think you were doing fine with "Don't Drink and Drive Folks"

Just sayin'...

sooneredaco
12/8/2012, 10:55 PM
Wow! Sad! Very sad

VA Sooner
12/9/2012, 12:03 AM
Sad story. My heart goes out to the families...

StoopTroup
12/9/2012, 02:59 PM
Watching the talking heads this morning. Not much mercy for any player who ignores the warnings of never drinking and driving.

Pittsburgh's old Coach calling for a 2 game suspension for any NFL Player who gets a DUI.

Is that enough?

Would maybe a year be better? What about Permanently banning them for 2?

Thoughts? Do you have to kill someone for there to be real discipline?

BudSooner
12/9/2012, 03:28 PM
Watching the talking heads this morning. Not much mercy for any player who ignores the warnings of never drinking and driving.

Pittsburgh's old Coach calling for a 2 game suspension for any NFL Player who gets a DUI.

Is that enough?

Would maybe a year be better? What about Permanently banning them for 2?

Thoughts? Do you have to kill someone for there to be real discipline?Better idea, 8 game suspension with either NO pay or the players pay going to the family of the people involved in the accident. If it involves death, then a percentage goes to any children of the victim to provide for their educational purposes.

As some know, i'm a smoker and I know it is not good for me and do not smoke around those that don't. But when it comes to drinking, I have no tolerance for drinking and driving, too many times have I seen a youngster drinking and bragging about getting behind the wheel...I would tell him that he needs to surrender his keys or the moment I walk away that the police are being called.

Nothing good comes from being drunk, especially trying to act macho and driving that way.

StoopTroup
12/9/2012, 04:06 PM
Definitely think we will see a move towards stricter laws and rules as we even see a culture change that snubs it's nose at the macho idea that people drive OK impaired. This means even you folks who drive under the influence of weed will see changes....especially since MJ seems to be getting some love in making it legal to have and use. I just think the time between your last toke and the time you get behind the wheel will also be dealt with too.

Scott D
12/9/2012, 04:19 PM
I'll be interested to see his sentence in comparison to that of Dany Heatley.

jkjsooner
12/9/2012, 04:24 PM
Definitely think we will see a move towards stricter laws and rules as we even see a culture change that snubs it's nose at the macho idea that people drive OK impaired. This means even you folks who drive under the influence of weed will see changes....especially since MJ seems to be getting some love in making it legal to have and use. I just think the time between your last toke and the time you get behind the wheel will also be dealt with too.

Did you post that in 1960?

StoopTroup
12/9/2012, 04:24 PM
I'm sure many comparisons will occur.

StoopTroup
12/9/2012, 04:44 PM
Dallas wins one for their lost player.

StoopTroup
12/9/2012, 10:03 PM
Tony Dungee just told a good story about how he brought in a kid that had killed three people in a DUI Wreck and spent 9 years of his life in jail waking up everyday with the blood of those people on his hands. Tony said he got the guy to speak to his Team about what he went through and tried to warn all of his players from having something like what happened this week in Dallas happen. Said that as a Coach they were always stressing to players about how things they do in their personal lives that are wrong and how they can hurt the Team as well as ruin their lives as well as others lives.

It's got to be heart wrenching for these Coaches and Players that do go out of their way to counsel players from ruin only to see something like this happen.

sooneron
12/9/2012, 10:25 PM
Here's a good story for you. My wife works for a large rental car company. Every so often they have the Mgr trainees show up for two days and nights of learning along with nice dinners. They always supply transpo for the evening as most people drink (it's free) and they are all staying at a hotel near the conference. Well, one dude got hammered one night and decided to get a sixer and some smokes once he was dropped off back at the hotel.
Instead of calling it a night, he asked the front desk of the nearest place to obtain what he wanted. It turns out that there was a place across the highway. It's not an interstate but one of those god awful routes here in NJ that are 3-4 lanes, poorly lit and full of NJ idiot drivers. There was no over/underpass within sight, so this idiot heads across Rt 3 on foot at around 12:30. Of course, the moron got himself killed. The person driving the car that struck him, had been drinking. I never found out the specifics of his "state", but even if this guy had just had a few beers, he was toast. Anything in the realm of the lesser offense and he is going down for vehicular manslaughter. Drunk or not, they probably didn't have time to stop for someone that had no right being on the road. Having a BAL, they were now guilty. So, think about that the next time you have 2-3 at happy hour. I am far from a holy roller and unable to throw stones, but I feel this story should warn people like me. It definitely got me to thinking when I've been drinking. You can never account for that one idiot, drunk or not. So, take the drunk out of the equation and stay out of jail.

StoopTroup
12/9/2012, 10:55 PM
Good point Ron. So many reasons to protect yourself as well as others. I know a few Police here in town and they have done plenty of those road stops where they check for insurance and legal tags and drunks. Most of them say that if they were to be unforgiving and really strict on a Friday or Saturday night they would probably arrest over 75% of the folks they check. Now...that figure was a few years ago but still...with Ron's Story...it should make folks realize just how risky and dangerous it is out there on weekends.

Just be cautious folks.

FtwTxSooner
12/10/2012, 11:51 AM
This is one area where society can't evolve quick enough to put away this whole notion that this sort of behavior of acceptable because it was done all the time in the 'good 'ole days'.